Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
255
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
5
Hits:
814

The Great Divide

Summary:

Pairing/Characters: Alan/Millie
Rating: PG
Summary: Alan and Millie find themselves on opposite sides in an eternal debate.
Disclaimer: Not my characters, not my world, making no money.
Feedback: Yes, please! Feed the author!
A/N: Written for numb3rs100. Thanks to my beta.

Work Text:

 

 

The Great Divide
by irena_adler

"You and I could never be more than good friends," Millie said tipsily.

Alan, caught mid-sip, coughed on his wine. Millie cheerfully patted him on the back as he recovered. They were sitting on the back porch after a fine meal that Alan had thought went quite well. They were also on their second bottle of wine.

Wiping his mouth, Alan finally managed, "Why not?"

"Different religions," Millie said with a wave of her hand.

Alan stiffened. "Because I'm Jewish?"

"No, no," Millie said. "Because you're an Engineer."

Alan gaped at her.

"Yeah," Millie said, her words just slightly slurred. "I'm math, physics, astronomy. I deal with concepts and ideas, or at least things that can never be directly experienced. I'm a neutrino astronomist and many people don't even believe neutrinos exist."

"And I'm engineering, making things work," Alan nodded, his head bobbing gently. "I can't always explain why things work but that's not as important as if they work or not."

"Yeah," Millie said, pointing in his general direction. "Theoretical physics versus applied physics."

"Faith versus facts."

"Someone who can enjoy flying without needing to explain wing aerodynamics."

"Versus someone who can enjoy flying because of the beauty of aerodynamics."

Millie chuckled and raised her wineglass to him.

"And never the twain shall meet?" Alan asked.

"I don't know about that," Millie said, leaning closer. "I said we could be good friends."

Alan grinned at her. "Friends with benefits?"

"I'll supply the theory and you can supply the application."

end