Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 2 of Daniel of Malksur
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2008-02-19
Words:
31,207
Chapters:
4/4
Kudos:
14
Hits:
3,041

Internal Error

Summary:

For the SGC, the age of innocence is over. Their first major casualty since the founding has many questioning the policies. Every where they go chaos ensues. Enemies becoming friends, friends becoming enemies, and their preconceived notions being challenged; how far will they bend before the core snaps?

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text

Internal Error

By: Lopaka Tanu

Disclaimer: I do not own Stargate SG-1.

Warning: Character Death, Violence, Language, Sexual Actions.

Rating: Adult Slash.

Archive: RSD, Yes, just say where.

Pairings: Martouf/Daniel.

Series/Sequel: Daniel of Malksur.

Summary: For the SGC, the age of innocence is over.  Their first major casualty since the founding has many questioning the policies.  Every where they go chaos ensues.  Enemies becoming friends, friends becoming enemies, and their preconceived notions being challenged; how far will they bend before the core snaps?

Timeline/Spoilers: Season 2 -  In the Line of Duty ~/~ The Tok'ra.
_______________________________________________________

 

 

"Perhaps I can be of service."  High Councilor Perseus smiled genially at the gathered men and women.  "In your message, you inquired as to the possibility of an alliance.  What did you have in mind exactly?  Your terms of an alliance and ours might be very different indeed."

Suddenly feeling very relieved for the events that brought them there, General Hammond nodded.  "If you would, please, be seated."  He gestured at the seats around the table.  Taking one for himself, he showed the Tok'ra how they rolled out and sat down.

Perseus glanced down at the chair in curiosity as he pulled it out.  Folding his robes under him, he sat down.  He smiled at the soft, yet supportive material.  Glancing around, he frowned at the one person missing.  "Martouf, would you please join us?"

Standing by the view port, staring down at the gate, Martouf held his hands behind his back.  Eyes stinging, he restrained the need to vent his emotions.  Instead of him, Lantash took control.  "I do not wish to continue."

"I understand the shock of your loss, but we each know the price of our actions.  Jolinar knew the risks when she accepted the mission.  What happened between you must not interfere with our directive here and now."  Perseus allowed his symbiot to take control.  Standing, the Council member walked over to stand beside his friend.  "Our actions here are what is important now for all our sakes."

"I may be able to handle this one."

Both men turned around to see Dr. Fraiser standing a few feet from them.

Taking a hesitant step forward, she reached out a hand to Martouf's arm, then dropped it before it could make contact.  "I was there when it happened.  Daniel is not the one you knew, but he was her final host."

"That would be greatly appreciated, thank you."  Perseus nodded at her while pushing Martouf towards her.  "Go along with her.  Say your good byes."

Reluctantly, Martouf followed along with Janet.  The pair moved quietly, yet quickly from the room, Janet sending a look over her shoulder to the General.  Martouf, deep in thought, ignored the disapproving glare from Anise.  Janet closed the door behind them, leaving the conference room in quiet.

Perseus quickly took a seat at the head of the table opposite of George, Anise on his left and Saroush on his right.  Adjusting his robe to get comfortable, he frowned.  "I apologize for his behavior, Martouf has always been overly emotional in regards to Rosha."

"Rosha was the name of the previous host?"  Teal'c raised an eyebrow.  Confusion warred with empathy for the Tok'ra.  He did not recall the name as being one of the Nasians.

"Yes, Rosha and he were together for almost a century.  She was more reserved of the two, preferring to keep things discreet.  After her last mission, she was even worse, going so far as to scorn most of his advances.  We all believed it was the only reason she accepted this mission.  He was hoping to..."  Saroush caught herself and frowned.  Watching the knowing expressions, she composed herself.  "It matters no more.  The past is now forever where it should be."

"Perhaps it is best we get back to business before we lose ourselves in misery."  Perseus leaned forward in his chair to rest his folded hands on the table.  Watching the General closely, he laid out their agenda.  "We are guessing you seek intelligence and access to our technology, am I correct?"

"Yes, whatever you see fit to spare.  Up to this point, we have been skating by on pure blind luck and if recent events have been any indication, our luck has just run out.  We are needing all the allies we can get."  Hammond looked about to continue when the lights flashed and alarms blared.  He ended up huffing and glaring at Maybourne.

Maybourne smiled sassily at the General before turning it to the Tok'ra.  "We have installed a Goa'uld detection system that entraps them.  If you will excuse me."  Reaching down to his belt, he pulled out a small radio and turned it on.  "Sargent Riggs, get to the source and bring a pass pen with  you.  While you are at it, bring three more to the briefing room."

"Aye, sir."  The radio cackled once then went silent.

Maybourne turned it off and placed it on his belt.  "Sorry about that.  If we had known to expect company, I would have been prepared."

"If you had needed to know, I would have informed you.  At the time, I thought I was still in command of my own base."  For some unknown reason, Hammond found himself more amused with the situation than aggravated.  He was proud his officers had acted on their hunches, but if they kept it up, he would eventually have to bust them back a few ranks.  "From now on, I will be sure to inform you on matters of security to keep this from happening again."

"Thank you, sir, that would be most appreciated."  Harry's gaze had never left their guests, making sure they didn't try anything funny.  Alien tech was one thing, but actual aliens was a new experience for him. Sure, there had been the Tollans, but they weren't alien, so much as technologically smug.  These babies were the real deal and he intended to be there for the action.

Teal'c regarded the Tok'ra with a long suffering look.  Their amused expressions showed they could sympathize.  "Now that you know our wants and needs, would you share your own?"

"Yes, we would love to be able to complete this deal.  Whatever you seek, within reason, we will be all to happy to oblige."  General Hammond saw the glance shared between the two older Tok'ra and knew what was coming next.  He decided to head them off at the pass.  "Voluntary hosts are a touchy subject among our people.  We can not properly address it at this time and would probably be insulting both of us if we tried.  However, it is not a subject I would be disinclined to go over at a later date.  Frankly, it scares the hell out of me.  I still need time to get used to the idea you exist, and I've known for almost a week."

Sighing, Saroush closed her eyes and smiled.  Regaining control from Selmac, she let her head sag to demonstrate the exchange.  "I understand, General.  The idea of the Goa'uld is all you've known about our race.  There is nothing we can do to reassure you of our good faith and intentions except build a relationship of trust over time."

"Actually, if I may, General Hammond?"  Harry waited until George nodded before continuing.  "Thank you, sir.  Can you remove a Goa'uld without killing the host?"

Anise looked at him as if he let a big wet one.  "Are you suggesting we remove one of our own so you can let the host give you testimonial?"

"Actually, I was thinking of the Ash'rak we have in custody, but now that you mentioned it."  Staring at her pointedly, Harry rubbed his chin.

"That is enough, Major."  Hammond wasn't even going to touch that one.  The woman had set off his radar too, but he was too diplomatic to allow a bad feeling get the better of him.  "Major Maybourne did raise a good point, though.  Can you remove that damned Goa'uld from my man without causing permanent damage?"

"It can be done."  Anise paused as the three SGC personnel seemed ready to jump from their seats.  "However, the procedure is lengthy and very delicate.  It can not be done here, our people would have to do it in our labs."

"Which brings us to another of our needs."  Perseus intervened before his younger sibling could cause any further damage to the proposed alliance.  "With the warning you provided curtesy of Jolinar, we have executed a traitor among our midst.  We require a temporary lodgings until a suitable planet can be found.  All our scouted worlds have been potentially betrayed to the enemy."

General Hammond sat back in his chair, thinking over whether or not to trust them any further.  Decision made, he nodded at no one in particular.  "The Alpha Site is currently uninhabited, you are more than welcome to set up base there.  It was too be our evacuation point last month, but the attack was stopped in time.  Our people are still scouting the area for natural resources, but it seems our best bet for an off world base."

"Our status in this matter is urgent.  It is believed the traitor sent a message before we got to him.  He died during questioning, only saying we were all dead."  Perseus' hand clenched around the table causing it to groan under his strength.  At the sound, he looked down and released it quickly.  "My apologies, that sho'lak had killed our brother before inhabiting his host."

"We all share in your feeling of loss.  The fight with Goa'uld takes many from us, however, the fight rages on and we are yet victorious."  Proud smiles were shared all around at Teal'c words.  "Only recently, we defeated the false god Apophis and his son, Klor'el."

"That was you?"  Perseus' eyes flashed white, voice going deep as Perseus took control.  "We had people on those vessels."

Teal'c wasn't phased by the Tok'ra's reaction one bit.  "Then they we must honor their memory by celebrating the death of Apophis."

Anise was the one to look smug now.  "Then you have doubly failed.  Both he and his spawn are quite alive, I assure you."

Rising slowly from his chair, Teal'c seemed to growl.  Facing off against the blonde Tok'ra, he placed both hands flat on the table.  "Then I shall have the pleasure of strangling the life from him with my bare hands.  All who join him in war against the Tau'ri shall share his fate.  Do not make the mistake of believing I am docile because I no longer wear the uniform of a Jaffa."

"We would never presume to."  Saroush stepped in to defuse the situation.  At times she thought it would probably best to muzzle the youngest of them, and Selmac was inclined to agree.  "The loss of too many in such a short time has hit us hard.  It is imperative that we begin evacuation to this Alpha Site immediately."

"First thing, we need to know how secure this possible base is."  The anticipation was getting to Perseus.  He was actively fidgeting in his seat and ready for action.  Tensions in the room were only serving to increase that need.

"We hit the Alpha Site gate address through a cold dialing sequence.  It is one of three that we know of that are not on the Abydos Cartouche.  If that isn't secure enough for you, I'm afraid there isn't much more we can do."  Hammond was torn.  On one side, he wanted them to take the offer, it would mean future relations.  Then again, did they want these Goa'uld on their side?

"It is quite sufficient.  The base will only temporarily serve as our main operations; however, we may keep a small number there for strategic purposes."  Perseus glanced over at Saroush, uncertain if they should continue.  When she nodded her consent, he exhaled slowly.  "General Hammond, I also have one other request at this time."

Hammond wasn't a bit surprised there was another catch.  "We are here to help out in whatever way we can."

Giving them a sober look, Saroush unfolded her hands from in front of her and gestured as she spoke.  "As you can tell by my appearance, I am very unique among symbiots you have met before.  My body is very old, I am the oldest of my kind in fact."

"There are some things about my people you need to know before I continue."  Clasping her hands, Saroush lowered her head and allowed Selmac control.  "My name is Selmac, before I was a Tok'ra, I was a Goa'uld.  I am unique in that amongst of the Tok'ra, I am one of the few who have converted to their way of thinking.  In fact, I am the sire of their entire movement."  She waited for them to process the information before continuing.

"I mated with a queen known as Egaria, we had no status among the system lords and preferred it that way.  At that time, Queens were still plentiful that one would not be noticed if she spawned with one not a System lord.  I was a minor Goa'uld in the service of Bastet.  Egaria, I, Jolinar, and three others formed a plot to aid the Tau'ri slaves in their plans of rebellion against Ra.

"Our work was discovered when one of our number was betrayed by his servants.  Egaria decided it would be best if she spawned an entire legion of our children before the System Lords got word that there was more than one plotter.  Her move would prove to be the last great act she ever committed."  Her words trailed off as she was lost in thought.  After a moment, Selmac realized what she had done and cleared her throat.

"It was decided that I would provide the genetic material to sire her offspring.  We did it on a back world at the far end of the known galaxy.  I would remain behind with a legion of Jaffa to host the offspring to maintain the appearance of a normal Goa'uld.  After she had spawned, she left through the gate at a summons from her sire and that was the last I saw of her.  Two moons later I learned that Jolinar, Egaria, Luris, Mekhet, and Phaethon had each led simultaneous attacks against the system lords.  Jolinar and a handful of his Jaffa were the only survivors out of a combined force of fourty-thousand."

Sitting back in her chair, Selmac folded her arms over her chest, leaning her elbows on the arm rests.  "Their plan was simple, overwhelm the Goa'uld with so many targets they forget their search for traitors.  In short, it worked, perhaps too well.  After that, the Goa'uld were weakened and even more paranoid than ever.  It lead to the final rebellion by your ancestors, with the aid of the Furlings and Asguard, against the Goa'uld and drove them from your world.

"Over time the young developed and I arranged for their first hosts, all voluntary.  We had to learn new tactics when dealing with the Goa'uld because obviously a full frontal assault wouldn't work again.  We never learned of Egaria's fate, but Jolinar eventually found his way back to our folds.  He had switched hosts by then.  It became necessary for us to do so every so often because the very device that extends the unnaturally long lives of the Goa'uld's hosts also steals the very essence that makes them human.

"We swore never to take a host involuntarily.  It was better to die first.  This has severely crippled us, but it can not be helped.  We will not become the very monsters we fight."  She saw that the SGC personnel were close to speaking, and smiled bitterly.  "Yes, now you understand the extent of Jolinar's crimes.  Had she brought your friend back to us, we most likely would have removed her forcefully and executed her."

"I have a question," Harry waved his hand to get her attention, "just how old are you really?"

"Almost three thousand years.  I was the youngest of the original conspirators.  The rest are little more than two thousand years.  Jolinar was the oldest, roughly twice my age."  Selmac chuckled at their stunned looks.  "Yes, it was quite a shock when I learned myself.  Then again, his armies rivaled that of a system lord in those days, so it was quite easy to understand.  In that final battle, had not Apophis intervened, he would have eventually won.  Jolinar was merciless in the heat of battle, then again, you have to be in order to survive six thousand years.  There aren't many among either the Goa'uld or our number who draw their time that far back."

"And even after all that, you still would have executed him for taking a host involuntarily?"  Harry nearly crawled out of his skin at the look she gave him.

"No one is above our laws, Major, no one."  Some of the good grace slipped back in to her face.  "Now that you know the history, I have that request to make."

"Name it."  Hammond was willing to give her almost anything just to get a hold of the knowledge she held.

"I wish to remain on your planet, among your people for the rest of my days.  This is no small matter, I do not mean the end of my host's life span, but that of any future hosts' as well."  Raising a hand, she forestalled the objections of both Perseus and Anise.  "I am tired of the battles, the plotting, the entire series of events.  If the events involving my departed friend's final days have me believe anything, it is that there is a time for everything and mine age in this war has passed.  If you will allow me, I will remain as an advisor to your people, but I will never again raise up arms."

"Are you sure about this?  It is an awful lot you are giving up here."  George was stunned to say the least.  A Goa'uld retiring was the strangest idea he had heard.  It made a psychotic logic, but still it was hard to believe.

"I am absolutely sure.  Saroush's last days should be spent in the comfort of a world she need not fear will end tomorrow.  Granted, your world is just as vulnerable to Goa'uld as any others, but the Tau'ri is my home.  I was born here, I spent one third of my life here, and I wish to return home."  Taking a breath, Selmac lowered her head and let Saroush take control.  Exhaling, Saroush looked up and blinked back tears.  "My old friend is too emotional, she is so close and can not handle rejection.  I, however, have no real stake in this one way or another.  It would be no imposition to be among my friends when I am to die."

Teal'c leaned forward in his chair, facing General Hammond.  "I ask that you consider her request, General.  When it was I who wished to be among your people, fighting at your side, my friends among the Tau'ri did not let me down."

"If it were my decision, my answer would automatically be yes.  However, it isn't my choice to make.  I will have to get in touch with the President.  Aside from a few security issues we can discuss later, I don't see why not."  And right there he hoped he hadn't just signed his own court martial.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Martouf glared at the security doors, fingers itching to tear them from the walls.  He knew it would be a futile gesture, but the act itself was important to him.  This could not be permitted to interfere with his duties.  Yet, what was the importance of those duties now that everything he fought for was gone?

Janet watched the older man as he paced the corridor.  "I am sorry, I forgot about these damned security monitors.  We just got them installed, it will take a while to get used to them."

"I can understand their function, the appearance of an Ash'rak among even my own people drives the paranoia we naturally harbor beyond tolerable limits."  It was unbearable that he had to pretend the niceties with these Tau'ri.  He and Lantash were in complete agreement over that.  They had admitted they had four days more with his Jolinar than he had.  Four days in which he would have had time to beg forgiveness for whatever he had done to upset her so much.  Something must have shown on his face as the Dr. Fraiser was staring at him.

"Is there something the matter?  You've been brooding over there for the past five minutes, occasionally staring my way.  Now, usually I don't judge an alien by their expressions, but you've been sending quite a few killer ones my way."  Chuckling self consciously, she ran a hand through her mussed hair.  Finding the clasp about to fall out, she frowned and adjusted it.

"It is a matter of some importance to me.  Why did you wait so long before contacting us about Jolinar?"  He unclenched his hands.  It would do no good to appear threatening.  Watching her for a reaction, he judged that she was trying to spare his feelings.  "Do not lie to me, I am quite capable of hearing the truth without supervision."

Janet sighed, quickly forgetting any attempts at sugar coating the truth.  "Jolinar was dead.  She died within minutes of coming through the gate.  There was no point in attempting to contact you without approval of our superiors."

Martouf leaned back against the wall, lowering his head.  The impotent rage of being forced through this situation proved almost overwhelming.  "It should never have happened!"

"Well it did.  That is a fact of life, things happen that we think shouldn't.  It does, so accept it and move on with your life, or don't and die.  We are at war, you don't get time to think about should haves, and the only thing regrets are good for is filling coffins."  Walking over to the security door, Janet gave it a good kick with her shoe.  The steel toe of the high heel gave it a loud ding.  "What the hell is taking them so long?"

Martouf watched her with a suspicious eye.  A feeling about her made him a little more comfortable than he should be.  Folding his arms, he continued to observer her from lowered eyes.  "How long does this usually take?"

"I have no idea, I have never been caught.  If they do not pick up their pace, I can tell you how long their careers will last."  Growling, she whirled on her heel.  Upon seeing him, she remembered he wasn't a normal person and it brought her up short.  The shock of having been unprofessional in front of an alien made her chuckle in embarrassment.  "You are probably questioning the maturity level of the staff by now."

Some times, he knew, it was best to be honest.  "I was beginning to think we had made a mistake in coming here.  Your people are proving to be a surprise despite our vast amounts of experience."  Tact was also a practice he excelled at.

"So basically we are just children to you."  Blowing out a stress filled breath, she clenched her teeth.  "You're not the first alien to tell us this.  Believe it or not, that line about us being children is a load of bull shit."

"In the eyes of such advanced races like the Asguard, you must seem as children.  They have forgotten what it was like to first search the universe.  My own ancestral memories show a very frightening, yet exciting place.  The first Goa'uld to travel the stars were not even half as intelligent as you are, yet look at where they have ended up."  Martouf ignored her calculating gaze.  "Your people evidently show great potential, how else would you know to catch such a dangerous predator?  Despite its obvious flaws, it shows ingenuity that most races lack, including the Asguard."

"Careful, Martouf, one might think you actually like us."  Chuckling, Janet looked at the sensor and shook her head.  "New technology is only dangerous so long as people fear it.  Fear leads to destruction.  To understand a thing is to accept it.  I just wish the so called superior races would admit the only reason they are so high and mighty is because they have a toy we don't.  That is the only difference between them and us."

Smiling, Martouf ducked his head.  "Well, perhaps not the only difference, but I understand your meaning."

"Yeah, there is the whole alien business."  Coming to stand beside him, she folded her hands behind her.  She leaned back, using her palms to cushion her butt on the wall.  "Are there any special rituals you observe for the loss of someone you care about?"

"Nothing."  He gave a sad smile.  "Our lives are utilitarian, we each mourn in our own way.  To leave a physical monument to their existence is dangerous, our memories of the deceased is all we can hold on to.  Occasionally, we divide up their possessions among those who cared for them.  However, that is just another part of our existence as most of our possessions are purely functional.  Vanity, while necessary for our infiltration of the Goa'uld, is looked down upon."

Janet's lips quirked.  "I noticed both of the older people of your group were wearing colored robes that were definitely not functional."

Laughing, Martouf sighed.  Letting his body slide down to the floor, he shook his head.  "I said it was frowned upon, not strictly observed.  While we may claim not to be of them, there are still some aspects we too suffer from.  Then again, while you are a military, you still ascribe to what passes for beauty among your race."

She touched her hair clip with embarrassment.  "Yes, it is true, I do suffer from vanity.  But then again, I am a human being.  Attributes of attractiveness is in our very nature.  We are always seeking, whether we know it or not."

"You are very wise for someone so young."  At her loud cackle, he stared at her startled.  "Did I say something amusing?"

"Just that you think I am young.  I'm no withered old crone, but I'm not exactly a spring chicken either."

Tugging her down to sit beside him, he popped his neck.  "You are not at the middle life yet.  I, however, am probably closer to three times your age.  That is, the host, is one hundred and twenty of your years, and as such, I will probably live close to three fold this amount.  It is not common, but then I was blended at an earlier age than most."

Staring at him in shock, Fraiser ran a hand under his hair, over his forehead.  "There are a few lines, but nothing you can see without really looking.  You can't be much older than Dr. Jackson or Captain Carter."

"In appearance, most likely not.  But appearances are most deceptive."  Martouf glanced off in the darkening hall.  The lights flickered on then off three times before the doors suddenly opened on both ends.  On the walls, the sensors blinked red then went dark.  "It appears the alarm system has been disabled."

"Yes, I'm wondering why myself."  Starting to her feet, she grabbed on to the nearest thing to pull herself up.

Unfortunately for Martouf, that thing was him also trying to stand.  He hit the wall and slid back down to the floor.

"Oh, damn, I am sorry.  I didn't mean for that to happen.  It's just there is probably an emergency and I will be needed."  Holding out her hand, she took the one he had been trying to ward her off with and jerked him to his feet.  "I may look small, but I'm still an airforce major."

"I would never mistake you for anything less than capable.  The Tau'ri have already developed quite a reputation."  Dusting off his dessert camouflage, he followed after her through the halls.  He did not mention the fact that she had unconsciously increased her pace.

"If you don't mind, I would like to step off at my office to check up on the situation before we head for the morgue."  Reaching in her coat, she pulled out her pass key.  They came around another corner in to chaos.  Dr. Fraiser recognized the same uniforms that Martouf and the other female wore adorning the rushing people.

Many of the Tok'ra had burns and lacerations covering them, a few were so bloody they looked little more than gore.  Of those barely injured, they supported the worse off.

Martouf raced forward, eyes already flashing.  He grabbed the closest person in the dessert fatigues not injured.  "What is going on?"

The woman glanced up from his hand to his face.  After a moment's hesitation, she nodded towards the others.  "We were attacked through the gate.  They sought to block off our retreat before their ships arrived.  When the chappa'ai shut down, we activated it faster and sent an explosive through.  They did not attempt a second time."

When she tried to walk away, Martouf tightened his grip on her shoulder.  "Why are our people here and not the new site?"

"We are evacuating our entire population here before resettlement.  The new site was already inhabited by three legions of Jaffa.  Our probes had very little time to report back before they were destroyed.  Now, if you will excuse me, I have to see to the needs of the others."  She jerked away from him and walked over to kneel by one of the bloody Tok'ra.

Watching from the sides, Martouf tried to feel something for his siblings.  All he could summon was a cold numbness that had settled in his gut the moment he learned Jolinar was gone.  Their cries of pain and pleas for help fell on deaf ears as he turned away.  They could take care of themselves.  Turning around, he found that Dr. Fraiser had disappeared.

Deciding it was best he get out of the way, he headed for the nearest SGC personnel.  He touched the man's shoulder as he was rushing to the infirmary.  "Excuse me, but where is the morgue?"

The man in green scrubs glanced at Martouf distracted.  "Two corridors down that way.  The third door at the end of the hall."  He rushed away back towards the Tok'ra as they brought in another group of people.

Martouf knew he should stay and help, but what he should do wasn't a concern anymore.  Moving off quickly, he ran the short distance the man had pointed.  He took the hall indicated.  It appeared like any other except there were no flashing lights in this one.  After quickly counting the doors, he moved towards the appropriate one.

The moment he neared the door he sensed a presence of Naquadah on the other side.  Squeezing his eyes shut, he reached out and gripped the door knob.  Turning it proved to be the hardest thing in his life.  The large metal door slid open and bounced off the wall inside before he opened his eyes.

A strong scent of chemical residue hit him.  The room was by no means large.  Inside he saw three metal tables with lights over each.  Along the far wall were a series of small doors.  In one of them he could sense his Jolinar.

Taking a deep breath, he stepped in to the room.  The place reeked of old death and sterility.

So this was a morgue.

He was not impressed.  After a moment's hesitation, he continued walking through the room to the far side.  Reaching out a hand, he traced a hand over the handle of the closest door.  Martouf centered the location of Jolinar behind the one to his left.  

Moving over, he grabbed the handle.  Lifting it, he frowned when it refused to budge.  Grabbing it with all his strength, he forced it to lift and open; the lock snapping from the pressure.  There was nothing else between him and Jolinar except to open the door, yet he hesitated.

Martouf didn't think why, he just stood there immobile.  All reason had fled from his mind.  It took him a few moments to realize what he was supposed to be doing.  He stood there watching the door trying to remember why exactly he was going to open it.  It was like some other had taken control over him and he only now regained control.

It came to him in a stinging memory.  He was here to view Jolinar's remains.  Finally, he forced himself to open the door, stepping back to allow it to swing wide.  A wave of cold blasted over him, sending a chill through his thin clothes.  He blinked tears over cooled eyes and peered in to the freezer.

Inside was a black bag on a tray.  Martouf pulled the tray out, walking backwards so he could see the length of the tray.  The material was unlike any had ever seen before.  It was like cloth only a filmy texture, no doubt a Tau'ri fabrication.  The latch on the bag was also unlike any he had seen.  Grabbing on the only protrusion, he tugged it gently.  It wouldn't come away from the bag, but it slid down a track.

He slid it down the track after a few more tries and opened the bag.  The loveliness of the ice cold being struck him as painfully reminiscent of past hosts.  With ultimate care, he stroked his index finger down the side its face, ignoring the ice crystals that melted under his touch.  When he pulled back, a drop fell from his finger on to the face of his Jolinar.

Martouf marked how it looked as if the host was crying.  The numb inside melted with the burning of grief.  He grabbed up the body, holding it close to embrace.  His Jolinar was really gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jack watched the next load of refugees come through the Stargate.  Their equipment had already taken up the remaining space on level twenty-one and was quickly filling twenty-two.  This was only the thirteenth group to come through in a long train of aliens.

Grinding his teeth, he caught the eye of one of their leaders.  They had said her name was Guard Dog or some other bullshit.  She was over seeing the transfer of people from this side of the gate.  Her counterpart, High and Mighty Pussius was on the other with SG-3, SG-8, and SG-9.

That had been a bad call on Hammond's part in his opinion.  The call to the president to approve of all this was too little too late.  There were some decisions Jack was beginning to question as to whether the General was fit to make.  You never trusted an enemy in your own home, it led to too many problems.  And taking off line the entire security system because they were snakes was just asking for it.

Jack glanced over his shoulder at Hammond's office.  The man was busy chewing out whoever was on the other side of the phone.  More than likely a lackey.  Or so he thought until he noticed it was the red phone.  So the president was on to Hammond already.

Feeling vindicated, Jack turned back to the gate.  Another load of goodies in a large trunk were carried in.  How he longed to destroy it, break it open.  As if someone out there was listening, the guy on the back handles tripped and the chest went flying.

People scrambled to pick up the chest, but too late, the contents spilled out.

Recognizing one of the items, Jack turned on Silar.  "Close the blast doors!"

The sargent didn't question, just typed in the command.  No sooner than the blast doors closed then a small explosion was heard on the other side.  Silar glanced up at Jack in question.

"Goa'uld shock grenade."  Turning away, Jack started chuckling.  "Call the infirmary, tell them they got a bunch of new patients to wake up."  Wandering away from the control room and out the back entrance, he started towards the elevator.  He had a funny feeling and intended to check it out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hammond put the red phone back in its cradle and held his face in one hand.  It was going to be one hell of a long day and the news he just got was not going to make it any better.  In a sudden fit of rage, he grabbed the stone paper weight from his desk and pitched it through the window of his office.  He slammed his fist down on the desk and debated whether the mess of cleaning up his desk contents would be worth the sweeping.

A knock on his door blocked any plans he had for further destruction.  "This had better be important!"

"Uh, sir, I believe it kinda is."  Major Maybourne poked his head in the door and glanced at the broken glass.  "I take it you have received some bad news?"

"Get on with it, Major."  Hammond made it clear he wasn't in any mood to deal with any bull shit.

"Right, sir.  Apparently some men from the NID are out front, they are wanting a word with our prisoner."  He took in George's red pallor and grimaced.  "I am guessing you have already heard about it."

"From the man himself.  I am to hand over the Ash'rak immediately, Major Ferretti and all."

"Ah, that would explain the window."  Coming in to the office, he took a seat in front of the General's desk.  "Sir, I want you to know I had nothing to do with this.  In fact, I am all for getting that damned thing out of your man, sir.  He is one of ours and I don't particularly like having one of our people compromised."

"I know already, Major."  Taking a breath to calm himself, George leaned over the desk and stared his unlikely ally in the eye.  "This is the doing of Senator Kinsey and his little cabal of typing monkeys.  And like last time, he has the president's ear on this situation and we are to follow orders without delay."

"Sir, I don't see how that will be possible."  Folding his arms, Harry leaned back in his chair.

"Excuse me, Major, but I don't see how we have a choice in this matter.  We could delay things for a bit, however, ultimately we would have to give them what they want."  Setting his arms on the desk, Hammond toyed with a pencil.  "That is unless something has happened I am unaware of.  Has something happened?"

"You could say that, sir."  Maybourne preened under Hammond's wide smile.  "As you know, the Tok'ra are coming through the gate even as we speak because their location was compromised.  They are relocating everything they have here temporarily.  It seems our soon-to-be-allies brought with them the equipment needed to remove that snake."  Tilting his head, Harry leaned on one arm rest.  "As you can imagine, they are most grateful for our assistance in this time of need and wish to seal this alliance as fast as possible."

"Meaning they are going through with the surgery here."

"Meaning as we speak Major Ferretti is having a snakectomy."

Hammond sat back, releasing a chuckling sigh.  "We are going to get in a lot of trouble over this."

"More than likely.  But I've been in worse situations and always come out smelling like roses."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teal'c picked up the piece of wood from the sander base and examined it through his safety glasses.  He traced two fingers over the ridges.  "This is acceptable."

Major Castleman smiled behind is safety glasses.  Picking up the test piece of wood, he handed the second one to Teal'c.  "Sir, if I may ask, what do you intend to do with all this stuff?  I know the work shop is for everyone, but you never struck me as the type of person to use it."

Not looking away from his examinations of the wood, Teal'c's expression turned bland.  "I have never had the need to use this training.  To work with a shapers tools, is a craft I have not practiced in a very long time."

Frowning, Castleman stepped back to give Teal'c more room.  "When was the last time you were a carpenter?"

"When my mother died."  Putting the test piece down, Teal'c turned to examine the large stack of lumber behind them.  "I will not require all of this to build Daniel Jackson's sarcophagus."

"A sarcophagus, sir?  Why would you build him one of those Goa'uld boxes?"  He jumped back when Teal'c focused his attention on the Major.

"I will not.  When you inter one in the ground, is in not appropriate to place that one in a sarcophagus to ensure their ever lasting after life?"  When the Major didn't respond, Teal'c dismissed him from thought and started for the wood.  He picked up several long pieces and placed them on the work bench.  After inspecting them for defects and knots, he tossed aside three and began marking the rest for cutting.

The Major watched Teal'c in fascination as he marked down each piece and placed them on the saw to cut.  After about an hour, the pieces were starting to appear as if from a puzzle.  Mentally, he put them together and it came to him what Teal'c was doing.  "Oh!  You are making a coffin!"

Teal'c stopped mid cut and glanced up at the Major.  After a moment, he raised and eyebrow and inclined his head.  After the quick nod, he turned back to cutting the piece of board with the saw.  Satisfied it was cut to the exact measurements, he turned off the saw and blew away the dust from the board.

After the loud booming of the saw died down, the Major stepped over to Teal'c.  "Is there anything I can do to help?"

Taking a measured look of the man, Teal'c nodded.  "Yes, I require a salve that bonds wood together to finish assembling the sarcophagus.  I did not think to requisition such products until just now."

Castleman smiled.  "I know where we can get some real quick."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"A snake never changes his spots.  What the hell do you think you are doing?"  Jack stood in the open doorway of the morgue, hands on his hips.  Staring at the Tok'ra, he narrowed his eyes.  "This place is off limits to your kind."

"I would suggest you turn around and go back the way you came right now, Colonel O'Niell."  Lantash gently set the dead host's head on the exam table.  He had removed him from the black bag and carried Jolinar's host over so he could examine him.

Moving in to the room, Jack started for Martouf.  "Hey!  I asked you something, now answer the damn question."

Eyes glowing, Lantash glared at the Colonel.  His body went rigid at the proximity of the human.  After a final caress of the host's face, Lantash stood to block Jack's way.  "I will not tell you again, Tau'ri, be gone from this place before I lose my patience!"

Giving Martouf a glare, Jack walked towards the door.  Instead of heading out, he picked up the phone.  His fingers were on the touch pad when he found them caught up in the Tok'ra's grip.  "What in the hell?"

"I have grown weary of your interruption."  Lantash brought up his arm and back handed Jack across the face.  Using the Tau'ri's arm to guide him, he tossed Jack from the room.  With a loud slam, he closed the door and turned the lock in place.

Martouf ignored the pounding of the door, choosing to focus on their goal.  Reaching up in to the pouch on the back of his belt, he removed the palm device and two smaller slips of metal.  Attaching the slips to the host's temples, he ran a finger over their outer rims.

Daniel's seized for a second then went limp.

Lantash covered his host's strong emotions and continued their work.  Slipping on the palm device, he held it over Daniel's face.  The orb at the center started glowing bright yellow.  Closing his eyes, Lantash pictured Daniel inside his mind.

He felt the damage, experienced the worst of it as if it were his own.  There was a difference between if it had been his own.  Martouf knew he could fix this.  Nudging the cell walls, he forced them to split and form new connections.  They consumed the dead cells, using them for spare energy.  

Finally, he dropped his hand and began gasping from the exertion.  It could be done, that was all he cared about.  Taking the devices from the host's temples, he replaced them and the palm device back in the pouch.  Lantash carried the host back to the black bag and sealed it once more.  He pushed the tray back in the freezer and closed it.  The lock could not be helped, but the latch kept the door closed.

After resting his hand on the door for longer than acceptable, he turned towards the exit.  He noticed the door shaking against the lock.  Apparently someone had been pounding on it for a while.  There was no point in delaying any longer, it was no doubt that annoying colonel.

Martouf walked to the door and turned the bolt back.  Immediately the door shook open.  He stepped back to avoid the falling Colonel, smiling down at the man after he crashed.  "Is there a problem, Colonel?"

"Yeah, I gotta problem."  Throwing himself to his feet, O'Niell reached for the gun on his hip.  "My base is being over run by Goa'uld, and you are fucking with my dead friend.  Oh yeah, I got a problem."

Kicking up, Martouf knocked the gun from Jack's hand.  He pushed the man hard enough that he slammed back against the door.  "Your problems are just that until you make them mine."

Jack rebounded off the door and charged Martouf.  He caught the Tok'ra about the waist, but the other man would not budge.

After bringing his combined hands down on Jack's back, Martouf kneed him in the chest.  He was about to drive his fist in the Colonel's face when the click of Tau'ri weapons alerted him to others behind him.  He turned to glower at them.

"Step away from the colonel, sir."  The Special Forces guard took aim, looking down the barrel at Martouf.  "I don't want to have to shoot you."

"Then don't.  Put the gun down, Sargent."  Janet came from behind the two guards.  Brushing a hand through her hair, she blew the straggling strands over the side.  "What the hell is going on here, gentlemen?"

Martouf glanced between the four humans and gauged his chances.  There were more of them and their arms were already drawn.  Sighing, he walked away from the group back towards the infirmary.  This fight could be settled later.

Janet stood there stunned.  She had expected something from Martouf, but being ignored was not one of them.  Switching to the wheezing colonel, she grabbed him by the arm.  "Care to explain why you were getting your ass kicked by one of our guests?"

Coughing, Jack stood up erect.  "Oh come on, I coulda had him."

"Yes, your lulling him in to a false sense of superiority by allowing him to knock you senseless was genius tactics.  Tell me, just when were you going to beat him, before or after he kicked the shit out of you?"  When Jack only gave her a foul look, she sighed in disgust and pushed him towards the infirmary.  "Boys, escort the colonel to waiting room nine, I will be in to give him a full check up shortly.  And that is an order."

Both guards saluted the Major and frog marched the wincing O'Niell down the corridor.

Janet watched them for a minute more before turning back to the morgue.  She knew exactly which one to search and where.  Heading inside, she honed in on the door that Daniel's body laid behind.

She frowned at the broken lock.  Apparently a little thing like a door lock was no obstacle for sheer single minded Goa'uld strength.  Opening the latch, she pulled the door out and scanned the tray.  Their apparently was nothing physically altered.  Janet tugged the zipper open and checked the body.  Aside from some warming due to being removed from the freezer, she could find nothing out of the ordinary.  

She would have to have a talk with the Tok'ra about appropriate behavior when dealing with the deceased.  Silently, she hoped that Martouf wasn't in to necrophilia, that would be too much even for her to stomach.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Captain Carter checked the profile of the guard again to make sure he wasn't watching.  After she had determined so, she reached under her pillow and pulled out a small bag.  She riffled through the bag looking for her target.  It was crucial to do this quickly lest she be discovered.  After a moment, she found it and pulled it out.  Quickly, she shoved the bag back under her pillow.

Of course not all covert operations are successful despite the intel.  Janet was at her side, having snuck up while Sam's attention was focused on the guard.  Hand out, she cleared her throat.

Sam glanced up with wide eyes, mouth bulging from the cookie she had stuffed in it.  She smiled at the doctor.  Crumbs fell from her lips, which she quickly picked up and stuffed back in her mouth.  "Hmmm!"

"Don't even start with me.  You know you aren't supposed to be having any junk food right now, Sam."  Giving the captain a reproving glare, she reached under Sam's pillow and jerked out the bag of cookies.  "I will be taking these.  I know a few kids on level sixteen that will be most appreciative of your generosity."

"You know, Janet, some times you can be a real bitch."  Sam crossed her arms and threw herself against her pillows.  Uncrossing her arms, she made a pained face and shook the bandaged flesh.  "Ow!"

"Serves you right.  You need your energy and eating these things is not good for your body."  Smiling fondly at her friend, Janet tucked the bag under her arm and checked the monitor at Sam's bedside.  The readings made her smile get bigger.  "Well, it appears there is at least one healthy person on this base."

"So I gather.  What is going on outside?  There has been stirrings in the observation room, but nothing in here."  Sam was all business now.  Recent events had eroded what was left of her carefree existence.  She made sure Janet understood there was no avoiding this.

"I can't go in to too many details at the moment, there is not enough time.  Suffice to say that Daniel's death was not in vain.  When you are up for it and I have the time, I will tell you more.  Just trust me on this, you need to be fully capable of handling this."  After a final check of the graphs and charts, Janet smiled once more at Sam.  Her smile drooped a little at Sam's expression.  "It's too much, Captain, just...  Stop and rest.  We'll need your help soon enough.  I'll be back to check on you soon."

Sam watched her go with tired eyes.  She understood all too clearly the hell the woman was being put under.  If the sour expressions of the nurses was any thing to judge by, it was one hell of a doozey.  Silently, she resolved the moment she could set her hands down without them burning intensely, she was going to get back to work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Major Paul Davis frowned, his lips tightening in to a scowl.  Some times it didn't pay to be him.  There just wasn't enough funding in the universe to make this job worth it.  Other days, like today it seemed, there was a wealth of riches just waiting for him to take hold.  Clearing his throat, he pushed the Tok'ra off him and sat up on his desk.

The lodgings were temporary, his location and station while at the SGC and not attending to General Hammond.  While he did not mind being the object of this particular being's lusts, it did not help the fact it was merely a ploy to get him to agree.  The fact it had happened in his office and not at the conference room table made no difference what-so-ever.

Anise frowned at him, her charms had never failed to push over and get her own way before.  There was definitely something odd about this particular being in front of her.  "Is there something displeasing that you find about my being?"

"Yes, in fact I find your whole approach distasteful.  Keep it up and I will demand that you be thrown in the brig the rest of your stay.  I told you before you even followed me in and barricaded us in here that I would not acquiesce.  Earth personnel are not to be used in your experiments!"

Anise's eyes flared in anger.  "I do not ask this lightly.  There are effects to my work of which not one of my people can be used or else I assure we would have.  Now under the guise of the new treaty, you are too cooperate."

Laughing, Davis sneered at her.  "You are some piece of work, I gotta hand it to you.  It would do me a whole world of good just to shoot you right here and now.  And don't try your intimidation tactics on me, bitch, I've dealt with worse than you and come out smelling like roses."

Reconsidering her way of approach, Anise found little else in her arsenal to use.  She had tried persuasion in six different forms, threats in five, and reasoning in one.  Begging was the only other recourse and she would sooner succor a Goa'uld to her breast!  Giving him a final flare of the eyes, she turned on heel.  Unfortunately for her, the way had been blocked by a large chair.  She kicked it to the far wall, cracking it in half and slammed the door open.

On the other side stood General Hammond.  Lowering his hand, he stared passed the Tok'ra to Davis.  "Am I interrupting anything?"

"No, sir, she was just leaving."  Davis felt the cold smile return at her stiff posture.  When the General had closed the door, he gestured to a seat.  "Please.  What can I do for you, General Hammond?"

Taking the offered chair, Hammond glanced at the desk that separated them, taking in the room.  "You've settled in right nicely, son."

"I like to think so; considering, I am about to do something that might get me assigned out this way permanently."  Sitting down, he tried not to think of his once illustrious career and how it had been shot down and burned in the past month.  He had been warned by his predecessor that taking the assignment would mean political suicide.

"About that, I appreciate everything you have done on behalf of the SGC during the past week.  Words can't express how grateful I am that it was you who presented the case.  That you handled it with such care expresses how talented you are.  I am about to call upon that talent once more."  Leaning forward, Hammond placed his hand on the desk.  "Son, would you consider being our liaison to the alpha site?"

"General?"  Davis fidgeted in his chair, hand shaking so bad it dropped the pen he had been reaching for.  He blinked for a second then stared the man across from him in the eyes.  "What?"

"Your work these past week has been exemplary.  Negotiating with the president and the congressional over site committee is not easy, I know.  After recent events, your position is going to come under even more fire."  Hammond noticed the understanding of at least that much in the eyes of his subordinate.  He had taken great care in this decision, discarding many potential candidates.

Sitting forward, Davis clasped his hands together.  He gave his best open and trusting face, hoping to not come over demanding and needy.  "General, just what is going on here?  Despite my intermediary skills, I think I am still not getting the big picture."

"I am sure you have been briefed on the fact that the Ash'rak is now deceased."  Hammond reached in to his coat and pulled out a pen pass.  Setting it on the desk in front of him, he made sure it was in plain sight.  "This is the same one shown to us by Major Maybourne."

"Where did it come from?"  Paul stared at the device as if it might explode.  The damned thing unnerved him for just having been in a Goa'uld's procession.

"We honestly don't know, and you won't find word of it mentioned in the official reports either.  Several key acts of sabotage, much too many for the Goa'uld to have done alone are very damning.  The theory Major Maybourne, Colonel O'Niell, and myself have come to is that their are spies among our numbers.  It is our belief that a group outside this command is seeking to put their people in key positions during this upheaval.  I intend to beat them to the punch."

Sitting back, Davis crossed his arms.  Head resting on top of his chair, he stared up at the ceiling.  "And you want me out of the way?"

Smiling, Hammond mimicked the Major's actions, stopping at letting his head drop.  "Not quite.  Your post I am conceding to the enemy."

Paul's head shot up.  "You can't do that, I am too valuable an ally to move.  Without my influence, the funding could be cut or worse.  General, you need me right where I am at!"

"No, I need you on the front line of this new alliance.  Whoever is to fill your shoes will come from among my staff, and they are working for the enemy."  Hammond took on a new inner fire, his voice laced with anger.  "I am going to find whoever it is they have implanted in my command.  Then I am going to crucify that son of a bitch and whoever they are working with, even if I have to drive the nails myself!"

Davis considered the General's words for a moment before meeting his eyes.  "When the time comes, I'll bring the hammer."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~