Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,734
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,641

Chance Encounter

Summary:

Fandom: Night Court
Pairing: Harry/Dan
Rating: PG-15 (implied m/m sex)
Disclaimer: Do not own these characters and I am not writing for profit.
Summary: On New Year's Eve Harry gets a surprise kiss.

Work Text:

 


Chance Encounter
by S.
firstcorpsanv@webtv.net

Harry Stone looked at Dan Fielding who Roz held in her arms. Everyone was laughing because Dan had thought he might get a New Year's kiss from Christine. However, Roz had stepped in.

That Dan, he was always after Christine, but she wouldn't give him the time of day. Thank goodness for that since Harry was very fond of the defense lawyer. Indeed she was a good friend; sometimes Harry even thought she might be interested in him.

15 minutes later the gang was out of his office. After all, it was New Year's Eve, why would anyone want to stick around? Harry decided to walk a bit. It was cold but clear. Maybe he'd stop in a bar for a quick drink before heading home. Mac had invited him to go out celebrating, but the judge didn't feel like it. So what if it was another new year? Sometimes it seemed like the days were just repeating themselves. He saw the same prostitutes, muggers, and petty criminals day after day. Is this why he was a judge?

<<Hey Harry, stop moping. Get a drink and cheer up. Tomorrow you can go over to the Magician's Club for the benefit. And next month Mel Torme will be in town for a concert. Right, just keep telling yourself all that good stuff!>>

Stone stopped at the first bar he came to. He went in and ordered a beer. It wasn't very busy for New Year's Eve, but after all downtown cleared out early on holidays. As he glanced around he noticed there were only men present and a few were embracing. <<Oh, oh. This must be a gay bar. The last time I was here, it wasn't. Oh well, I just want a beer. Who cares what the bartender does in bed?>>

He sat there a few minutes. A young man came up to him. "Aren't you Judge Stone?"

"Yes"

"My brother was in your court earlier this year--Joey Stephens?"

"Oh yeah--16 or so? Picked up for grabbing some cigarettes?"

"Right. I never got a chance to tell you thanks for not sending him to juvenile. He's really working hard at school. Says he wants to be a lawyer."

"I'm glad. Most of the time they keep coming back until they're doing hard time."

"I know. That's why I really appreciate your help."

They continued to talk for some time when suddenly Roger Stephens remembered, "Hey, I've got to go. My lover is getting off work and I told him that I'd meet him. Happy New Year, your honor."

"Thanks. Happy New Year to you and be sure to tell Joey hello for me."

As Roger left, Harry noticed that the bar had filled up. Well it was 11:45. He decided to finish his beer and then head home.

Drinking slowly, the judge lost himself in a daydream. Suddenly he heard a commotion. Voices were counting down 5-4-3-2- HAPPY NEW YEAR! Men pounded each other on the backs and started hugging. Harry smiled. It was nice to see so many happy faces.

Just then a tall figure behind him turned around and planted a kiss right on Harry's mouth! "Happy...." It was Dan Fielding. "Harry?" He looked at the judge then ran from the bar like the devil himself was after him.

Harry stood there open-mouthed. <<Why would Dan be here? And why would he kiss me?>>

Extricating himself from the chaos of the bar, Harry grabbed a taxi. At first he intended to go home, but the question of Dan's presence haunted him. He told the taxi driver to take him to Dan's apartment building.

Fortunately, he was able to get in the building behind some revelers. He then sat down in front of Dan's apartment door to wait. <<What if he's inside already? Maybe I should knock?>> He decided to wait in case Dan hadn't gone straight home.

An hour later the opening of the elevator door woke Harry from a light doze. Dan Fielding staggered out into the hallway. Harry could see that he was in no shape to talk; he was surprised he could even walk. Dan swayed towards Harry holding out a key. Harry took it and opened the door. Dan just stood there.

"Come on Dan, let's get you to bed." He guided Dan into the bedroom. The harsh overhead light reflected off the mirrors. Dan groaned as the light bombarded his senses. Harry quickly turned on the bedside light and turned off the overhead. He coaxed Dan out of his suit jacket. "How did your jacket get ripped?" Dan just stared. Harry patiently removed the shirt. As he did so, he noticed bruises over the shoulders and rib areas. "Dan, what happened? Were you in a fight?"

"Fight." Suddenly, Dan turned green and lurched into the bathroom. For some minutes Harry waited on Dan's reappearance.

Finally the prosecutor came out looking slightly better. "Harry, why are you here?"

"It doesn't matter. You need to sleep." He pulled back the covers. Dan fell into the big, round bed and was instantly asleep.

Harry went out to the couch and lay down. Just as his eyes closed he whispered, "Happy New Year, Judge Stone."
__________


Light flooded in through the window. Through gritty eyes Harry looked at the clock--8:00 AM. Dan wouldn't be up for hours. He decided to make himself a cup of coffee and read the paper which had been delivered an hour before. Too bad the "Times" didn't have comics. He needed to read something funny right then. Oh well, the latest in NY politics would have to do.

"Harry?" Stone looked up.

"Dan, I thought you wouldn't be seen for another three hours."

"I'm not even sure I'll be alive in a couple of hours."

"Bad head?"

"Yeah and I can't find the aspirin in the medicine cabinet."

"I've got some." Taking a small tin from his pocket, he handed it to his friend. "Here how's this?"

"Good--anything."

"Take that and go back to bed."

"Okay, thanks."

Harry took Dan's key, went out to buy some bagels and a few things, then returned. He knew Dan wouldn't feel like eating much, but some juice would be good. Dan Fielding and juice--not unless it was passion fruit--but he could try.

He tiptoed through the bedroom to head into the bathroom. As he came out, Dan was sitting on the side of the bed. "Dan, how about some juice or water? You need something liquid."

"How about strichnine?"

Harry laughed. "Is your head that bad?"

"No--just my pride."

"Hey Dan, anyone can get drunk."

Dan looked at Harry in disbelief. "You know that's not what I meant."

Stone nodded. "Uh, I left some bagels and juice when you feel better. You should eat something. I'm going now."
He headed to the door.

"What's the matter? Have you chickened out? You don't want to stick your nose into my business anymore?"

"Dan, I just wanted to make sure you were alright, so now I'll leave."

"Oh that's right. Judge Do-Gooder. Helper to all the less fortunate. Friend to the little guy. Well I don't need your help. So go ahead and go."

"Fine. See you in court."

"Don't count on it."

Harry's slender body whipped around. "What does that mean?"

"It means that tomorrow I'm going to hand in my resignation."

"Why would you do that?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

"Not to me."

The older man looked at Harry for some moments. Enlightenment registered on Dan's face. "Oh I see. You don't want anyone to question what you were doing in that place."

"Is that what you think?"

"I...I don't know."

"Dan, I don't care what you think I was doing there. I'm worried because my friend came home drunk and with bruises. I just want you to be careful."

"Careful? When was Dan Fielding ever careful?"

"Listen Dan, I know your personal life is not my business; but you are a good lawyer, don't let this destroy your career."

Fielding stood and walked slowly over to the judge. "It could be, you know."

"It could be what?"

"My personal life could be your business."

Harry took a step back. "Dan,you're out of line."

"Am I? Then why didn't you punch me out when I kissed you?"

"You fled before I...."

"Stop lying. You enjoyed it."

Harry looked down. "Yes...I did."

"So did I. In fact, I'd like to do it again." He leaned forward and embraced the judge. Hs tongue caressed Harry's mouth.

Harry pulled back. "No! I'm not one of your bar conquests."

Dan held onto his friend. "Oh, I want more than that from you."

"What are you talking about?"

"Harry, open your eyes. I want you."

"I know that, but Dan, I'm not nto 1-night stands--with either sex. Your friendship is important to me and we have to maintain a professional relationship."

Dan let go of Harry's arms. "I see. You don't want me, is that it? I've been around the track too many times for the fastidious Judge Harold T. Stone, is that the problem?"

"God Dan, what kind of prick do you think I am?"

"Aw hell, Harry, I'm sorry. You know me, my cock rules my body. I guess I assume everyone's like me. I know a man like you couldn't be interested in Dan Fielding."

Dan turned away. He headed to the bathroom. "Harry, I'm going to take a shower. I'll see you tomorrow." He turned to look at the judge. "I AM sorry."

The hot, stinging spray felt marvelous against his abused skin. The soap dug deep into the exterior grime. <<God, what have I done? I don't blame him for hating me.>> He closed his eyes against the pain.

A cold breeze entered the shower stall. Dan shivered. A finger caressed Dan's face. The prosecutor's eyes flew open. Harry stood before him. The hot water washed over their naked bodies. The judged leaned forward to kiss Dan.

"Why?"

"Because I've wanted to do this for a long time and I decided that this is the time to admit it."

Fielding embraced the slender body. "Harry, I want you so much."

"Then what do you say we turn off the water before we both turn into prunes?"

Dan laughed. "Oh Harry, I do love you."

"Really?"

Dan nodded. "I just couldn't admit it to myself until now."

Harry took Dan's hand. "Come on then, I want to start in our happy new year."


THE END