Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 2 of Quarreling With Fate
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
8,765
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
1,467

Quarreling with Fate: Sequel

Summary:

Category: Fantasy/AU
Rating: pg-13
Warning: Mild language and the story will not stand alone. If you haven't read "Quarreling With Fate" you'll probably get frustrated trying to read it.
Characters: Main characters are Krycek and Mulder
Summary: Please read warning

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

 

Quarreling with Fate: Sequel
by Flintstriker
Flintstriker@Charter.net


Alec watched as Muhldair said his awkward goodbyes to his family. Wyle, Muhldair's father and the chieftain of this clan, bordered near the edge of teariness that his youngest son was leaving the settlement, but at the same time was encouraging him to go. Muhldair, as third son, had no prospects if he stayed here. A third son would get no inheritance and had no standing. Wyle knew it would be best if Muhldair made his future elsewhere.

When Muhldair had clasped his brothers' forearms in farewell the brothers responded with little more than politeness. They appeared relieved to see him leaving. Muhldair was trying to keep his feelings buried, but Alec could feel the heavy ache and disappointment inside him that even now, as he was leaving, his brothers could gather no warmth for him.

Muhldair had said goodbye to the wives, menials and two slaves of his father's lodge earlier, so he was now ready to leave. He picked up his pack and joined Alec, his face expressionless.

When they had gone far enough that they were no longer in view of Wyle's lodge, Alec stopped and gave Muhldair's lean body a quick once over. He grinned at Muhldair's questioning look. "New boots, new cloak, new belt. Wyle, I'm guessing?"

Muhldair looked down and gave a hesitant smile. "I wasn't expecting any of this."

"Well, I hope you kept your old boots. Those will be hurting you before the sun's very high."

"In my pack. I want to stop by the inn before we go."

"What about Dana?"

Muhldair hesitated and a shallow, jagged exhale of breath, almost too quiet to hear, escaped. "I said goodbye yesterday. She told me not to stay away too long and to keep you safe." Muhldair managed to keep his voice level and friendly.

Last night Alec had gone to Dana to say goodbye. The meeting with the young, red headed healer had been bittersweet. When Alec promised he would return, Dana half smiled then gave him a fierce kiss before turning in a rush and all but running to return to her lodge.

"She told *me* to keep *you* safe."

Muhldair barely acknowledged that and starting walking for the inn.

"Wait, Muhldair, I have something for your new belt. I had a damned time finding one worth having." He put his backpack down and reached into it. He took out a leather sheath about two hand lengths long. "Part of our agreement," he said, handing it toward Muhldair.

The young prince took the sheath and slowly drew the knife. He let the bronze dagger catch the light as his mouth slowly curved into a satisfied smile.

After Muhldair slid the dagger back in the sheath, Alec held out a leather pouch. Alec's eyes were bright and so was his smile as Muhldair accepted it. "*This* is a promise that you will not regret making that agreement."

Muhldair's brows drew together as he opened it and let the items slide slowly out. There was a lovely eating knife made of bone and a thin leather thong with a lumpy pendant.

Alec took the thong away from him and put it over Muhldair's head. "It's amber. I was given it when I found the missing child of a merchant."

Muhldair rubbed the amber between his fingers. It felt warm to the touch. Muhldair's hazel eyes had that soft look Alec so seldom saw and Alec could feel his unguarded pleasure.

"Thank you," Muhldair said. His voice was soft, throaty.

Alec heard the memory of Tav's voice in his head at that moment. "He doesn't ask for much." he had said. "Never has."

They walked to the small inn and Muhldair led the way inside. Ess ran over and hugged Muhldair to her. Ess was as close to a mother as Muhldair had. He grew up playing with her sons, Navin and Melor, and sometime during those years Ess had adopted him. Muhldair's left arm returned the hug while his right hand caressed her cheek to wipe away a tear. Ess tried a smile and made him promise to take care of himself. Becuma, Ess's youngest, laid her small hand on Muhldair's arm. Smiling, Muhldair knelt down to get a hug from her. She threw her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly. Muhldair grabbed her up as he stood, then turned to her brothers.

Navin and his brother Melor were visibly distressed to see Muhldair leave, although they tried to hide it by back pounding, joking and well wishes. As Alec and Muhldair were about to leave, Ess handed Muhldair a small lidded basket. Muhldair lifted the lid to see chicken and boiled eggs laid on top of leaves that lined the basket. There was enough for Alec and him to share for mid meal. Muhldair gave Ess a kiss before reorganizing the contents of his pack to protect the basket.

Dive, Ess's towering husband, followed them out of the inn. He gripped Muhldair's arm and wished him well. He did the same with Alec, though he didn't hold the grip as long. Navin and Melor walked with them to the edge of the settlement. As they made their final goodbyes, Melor handed Muhldair a small carved wooden luck charm. Muhldair knew Melor had to be the carver and held the little charm firmly in his fist while thanking him. Navin also handed Muhldair a gift, a flint spear point, just in case he didn't have time to chip one out. Muhldair snorted in laughter. His current spear point and most of the flint spear points in the settlement were made by Navin. Bronze spear points were expensive and hard to find and few owned one.

While Melor was joking with Muldair, Navin clasped Alec's forearm. It was a polite gesture, but Navin's normally cordial face was dimmed by the quiet study his eyes gave the mage. Take care of him, the eyes warned. Navin had not forgotten the days Muhldair had been bedridden, caused by a fight with Alec.

Muhldair didn't notice the exchange. The young prince placed the spear point in his pack and dropped the charm into the pouch Alec had given him. Alec was impatient to leave and started to ease away. Muhldair, after a few comments to the brothers, turned and followed him.

Muhldair wasn't guarding his emotions and Alec could sense his blended feelings: grateful, delighted surprise at the gifts he had received, melancholy over leaving his friends, love for those same friends, uncertainty and excitement over leaving.

Muhldair's black wolf, Runner, joined them as they left sight of the settlement.

*****

Muhldair called out to Alec to stop. Alec looked back to see Muhldair far behind, breathing heavy with exertion. Alec frowned, his brows drawing together as Muhldair caught up. He was using his spear as a walking stick.


"Gods, Alec," he panted. "Have mercy on a poor man who isn't mage born."


"You need to rest?"

"Even Runner is getting tired. The chicken is starting to sound like a fine thing, too," he looked into the mage's green eyes hopefully.

"You didn't have trouble keeping up with me while we tracked those poachers."

"I didn't keep up with you then. I led and you stayed behind me. Besides which, we were moving slowly and stealthily most of the time." Muhldair let out a slow, deep breath and fell bonelessly down to sit. Runner came over and sprawled out beside him. Muhldair unstopped his water skin and took a long swig, then shrugged off his pack and flopped backwards with a groan. Alec let out a long breath. Muhldair lifted his head to look at him through half lidded eyes then let his head fall back down. Alec gave up and sat down with more grace than Muhldair had managed.

"If we're going to stop here we might as well get mid meal out of the way. I want the breast."

"Let me rest for just a little time," a sleepy voice begged.

"I'll get it myself," Alec answered, reaching for Muhldair's pack.

"Save me some."

Alec unpacked the little basket and pulled out the breast and one of the boiled eggs. Runner lifted her head and sniffed the air. She turned her head and stared fixedly at Alec. "Not a chance," Alec sneered at her. Runner looked at him appraisingly then rested her head on Muhldair's thigh. Her eyes rolled once to give him one last look before closing.

When Alec was done eating he grabbed Muhldair's foot and shook him awake. Muhldair yawned close mouthed and pushed his way up to sit. After a moment he reached out for the basket. He opened it and after looking inside glanced up at Alec accusingly. Alec looked blandly back, his green eyes bright in the sun. Muhldair handed Runner a leg and took the other one for himself. When he finished the leg he peeled two of the eggs and ate them.

Alec was up and pacing. He made himself still and drew that sweet power from Muhldair that strengthened his own magic. He let a part of himself join the winds and he was looking down from high in the air. He saw his own body and Muhldair below, then searched out in all directions. No humans around. In the distance he saw a wide path heading north west and decided they would follow it. One direction was as good as any other. He let the spell unravel and released Muhldair. He had never told the young prince that he could pull power from him. Muhldair knew he was fey, knew he could sense, *feel*, magic, but didn't know he had a source of magic inside him that Alec tapped into. Alec had told him that his magic was stronger when Muhldair was near, a partial truth.

Sensing Alec's impatience, Muhldair pulled his pack on and adjusted it. He gave Runner a final scratch behind the ears and joined Alec as he started walking. Almost the same height, their strides matched each other and Alec set off at a slower pace than before.

"Have you chosen a destination?" Muhldair asked.

"There's a wide path over that way. We'll take it. I'm curious to see where it goes."

Muhldair considered that for a while. "We have enough food for four days, we will have to hunt if we don't find a settlement before then."

"The path goes somewhere," Alec pointed out. "I told you Muhldair, I've never gone hungry."

Muhldair felt Runner take off again, probably chasing a rabbit. He didn't bother to look, he could have pointed where Runner was with his eyes closed.

Alec could see the edge of the forest where the path wove through. He resisted the urge to walk faster. Alec could walk all day before he had to rest and could see in all but total darkness, but Muhldair couldn't. With Muhldair, Alec couldn't keep the pace he did when traveling alone. What he gained from Muhldair was worth more than the inconveniences.

"You let me sense you now, Fox. Tired of keeping control?"

Muhldair shrugged. "I understand now that you probably block out sensing my *every* hunger, thirst, and tired muscle the same way I ignore yours. We can't hear each others thoughts and I feel fairly certain if I want to keep an emotion from you, I could."

"I admit you're good at denying your emotions when you want, Fox, but the very blankness I feel when you do tells me you're hiding something."

Muhldair made a noncommital, "mmm."

They walked a little farther when Muhldair glanced at Alec. "Why do you call me Fox?"

"Your brothers did."

"I know why they did. Why do you?" he grouched.

"At first, to irritate you. I knew you hated it when they did."

"At first?" Muhldair chewed his lip as he thought about that. "Why do you do it now, if not to irritate me?"

"It suits you."

"That's what my brothers said." Muhldair's face darkened and his eyes had the bright gold coloring that Alec knew was the edge of temper. "What do *you* mean by it, or ... do you hold their opinion?"

Alec grinned. "I'm sensing your feelings *now*, Muhldair," he taunted.

Muhldair could also sense Alec. The mage was somewhat amused and feeling a little provocative, but Muhldair couldn't sense any real harm in him. Muhldair chose not to pursue the subject. He was sure that two weeks ago, before the bonding took place, they would have argued, or even fought. He admitted to himself he would lose anyway.

Alec was surprised at Muhldair's quiet release of temper. He knew he often tweaked the prince, he couldn't seem to resist. He couldn't even explain why he did it, especially when a real fight with Muhldair had consequences. Alec had fought other mages that didn't leave him as beat up as fighting Muhldair did. Slender, Muhldair didn't have the massive strength of his brothers. He did have skill, fast reflexes, endurance and a focused stubbornness. Alec admitted to himself that he was beginning to actually grow fond of him.

*****

Muhldair stopped at the edge of the path and looked around. He thrust out his arm to halt Alec.

"Look here," he said pleased. "Someone is traveling with wagons and cattle."

"Maybe it's just a wagon and a cow."

When Alec started to walk forward Muhldair grabbed his arm, laughing. He pointed down close to Alec's foot. Alec grimaced in distaste. "Lots of cows," Muhldair grinned. "And they're not far ahead of us."

"How far?"

"Half a day? And we move faster."

"Where's your damn to hell beast?"

Muhldair pointed toward the southeast without bothering to turn his body. "She's fine, and not as hungry as I am."

"Familiar's are suppose to stay close to their mages," Alec replied sharply.

"Her mage is dead. I seem to give her some comfort and security. I'm curious to see what happens when I meet another familiar. Maybe all familiars have some connection to each other." Muhldair didn't sound pleased.

Alec had a shiver of panic over that frightening thought. The last thing he wanted was another mage interested in Muhldair, or for the story to spread among the mages that there existed a human familiar. A host of unpleasant possibilities flooded his mind. He wished he'd asked more questions and listened more to the mages at the college who had familiars. How much could their birds and animals relay to them? Runners' mage hadn't figured out Runner's fascination with Muhldair, but he had been deranged.

"Alec? Are you all right? Are we in any danger?"

Alec felt a strong hand grip his shoulder. "No. No, everything is all right." He moved away from the hand. "We should go."

Muhldair leaned away and gave Alec a concerned look, but Alec was already starting to walk away. Muhldair followed, then caught up.

*****

Alec released the spell and kept his eyes closed for a moment to reorient. He could sense Muhldair standing quietly beside him. When Alec drew power from Muhldair, Muhldair was wrapped in the spell and unaware of what happened around them. After Alec released the spell Muhldair felt exposed and vulnerable and he would immediately scan the area, looking for any threat. Alec could feel Mulhdair's focused energy now. He opened his eyes and saw Muhldair, spear ready.

He waited until Muhldair was looking at him. "There's two wagons with five men, two women and a child. They've got twelve head of cattle, Muhldair."

Muhldair grinned back.

"Be sure to keep that beast of yours away until we talk. I don't want to scare them."

*****

The leader of this small group was impressive, Muhldair thought. He was a hand length taller than Alec, broad shouldered, powerful. His long dark hair was pulled back and tied. He had looked at Alec and Muhldair with intelligent caution, but not fear. He had some scars that implied he was a warrior. Muhldair didn't fail to notice the iron sword he carried or the small shield tied to the side of one of the wagons. The warrior and Alec had been talking for some time. Muhldair looked over the rest of the party. The sturdy greying man with the stone war club was also a warrior. The two dark haired young men looked enough like the leader that Muhldair thought they must be his sons. The smaller one could really still be called a boy. The young slender blond was obviously a menial.

The slender dark haired woman Muhldair guessed to be the leader's wife. The younger woman with lighter hair looked related to the other, but was too old to be a daughter. A sister, maybe? He thought the little boy might be her son.

The smaller wagon had a couple of large baskets on it and a cage of chickens. It was being pulled by a team of goats. The ox drawn wagon was laden. Any sleeping would be done on the ground.

******

While Amatheon talked to the tall young mage, Cadeyrn watched the mage's companion who was standing away from the group. He was a tall, slender young man, clean shaven, his hair at shoulder length, shorter than most men wore it. His clothing and boots were well made and in good condition. He carried the spear like he knew how to use it. Cadeyrn didn't fail to see the long knife on his belt. Instinctively, Cadeyrn laid his hand on the head of his war club. He would mention to Amatheon that the quiet young man probably hadn't missed anything.

*****

"Amatheon was obviously a very successful mercenary, Muhldair. He's retired and wants to start a settlement. He must have been a leader to have acquired so much. And ... he mentioned a few of his men are joining him in a few weeks."

"Are we traveling with them?"

"Better, Fox. We're hired."

"As guards?"

"My position is protection. You help with the cattle."

"What! We're suppose to be partners. I'm suppose to have a say in the jobs we accept."

"Your father had cattle. Surely this isn't new to you?"

"I didn't care for the cattle. He had menials for that. Have you forgotten you need me close when you weave spells?"

"Only for some spells. I would be a strong war mage even if you weren't around."

"I see. Our agreement is good when you need me."

Alec's frustration and Muhldair's irritation and resentment were bouncing back and feeding each other. Alec saw Muhldair's eyes glow golden and his face darkening and knew he would have to bring this under control. He suddenly had an understanding of Conall's remarks about being unable to control his familiar the way Alec thought he should be able to, and Conall's familiar was a bird.

"Look, Muhldair, we still split the payment. You'll be helping to guard while you help with the cattle."

Muhldair tried to slow down his breathing. He shut his eyes, his mouth tightly pinched while he rolled his shoulders. When he opened his eyes he looked deceptively composed. "Have you told them about Runner?" he asked with a false smile.

"Yes. No. I'll take care of it."

"Fine. That's ... fine. I'll just go see about my duties. You just ... walk about and talk to the ladies and ... periodically look for danger."

Muhldair stomped off to talk to the greying warrior. He seemed the likeliest person to talk to.

Alec watched him go. He thought as a mage he should get a little more respect; actually, he should get a lot more respect. He was more than generous with Muhldair and the testy, irrational prince didn't acknowledge it.

*****

Cadeyrn was pleased enough with Muhldair. He was a good worker and good company. He genuinely enjoyed Cadeyrn's stories about battles, strange people, and far away places. Cadeyrn believed he would be good in a fight. Cadeyrn's concern wasn't with Muhldair, but with Gunoda's interest in Muhldair. The widow had started eyeing the newcomer on the first day. Gunoda was probably ten years older than Muhldair, but she was an attractive woman and Muhldair hadn't failed to notice. Muhldair visibly brightened when she came around. Cadeyrn didn't want to interfere, but he was worried about where things might end. He knew the others had noticed her behavior, too.

*****

Alec let himself sense Muhldair. He was in the back of the little herd making sure none fell behind. Muhldair was bored, thirsty and tired. Occasionally, when Alec sensed Muhldair, he could tell Gunoda was with him. Muhldair was growing increasingly edgy and that affected Alec, too, if he wasn't careful. This was an uncomfortable effect of the bonding Alec never considered. To be fair, Muhldair was *trying* to suppress the feeling.

Alec walked back and joined Muhldair. He handed him his water flask and Muhldair took it gratefully. They walked beside each other for awhile, companionably.

"Fox, if you and Gunoda decide to pair, would you please, please, get out of range?"

Muhldair started to flare, but quenched it. With the bond, it was unreasonable to blame Alec for knowing too much.

"Our range is two miles, Alec." he said in a low monotone.

"You're not going to be able to keep me from feeling it Muhldair. A little mercy is needed."

"Nothing is needed because nothing is going to happen," Muhldair ground out.

"You say so?"

"That's right." Muhldair hissed, "Nothing. How can it, knowing what I am?"

Alec looked closely at Muhldair, trying to figure out what he was saying. Muhldair gave him a slitted gray eyed glare and strode ahead, his hand clenched tightly on the spear, his flexed arm muscles clearly delineated.


"What ... ?"

"For once. For just this once. Leave me alone. Let it go." Muhldair's exasperated voice was half threat, half begging.

"Fox ..."

His arm high, Muhldair drove his spear point in the ground between Alec's feet, his face tight with rage. Alec stiffened and stood there, instinctively preparing to draw power. Muhldair jerked his spear free and spun, racing for the forest, leaping over an obstacle Alec couldn't see and then disappearing in the trees. Alec didn't need to follow him, he could sense him racing further away, his need to escape greater than his anger. And sorrow, Alec could barely sense the sorrow.

*****

Alec was sitting away from the others. Amatheon and Cadeyrn left the family group and walked over to him. Amatheon handed Alec a bowl of stew, then sat beside him with his own bowl. Amatheon dipped two fingers in the bowl and took out a chunk of meat. He bit it in half and chewed a moment before speaking. "Are you going after him?"

"No. He's all right. I know where he is. I check on him when I weave the spell to see what is around us."

Amatheon shrugged, "A foolish thing for him to do. He didn't take his pack, his water skin, or his cloak. They're still on the wagon. It's going to rain," he pointed out needlessly.

"His problem," Alec bit out. He couldn't sense Muhldair any more. Muhldair had run, sometimes stumbling, till he was out of range. Alec could still see him if he cast the spell of seeing, but he was almost at the limit of it now. The last time Alec checked Muhldair was sitting, leaning against a tree with Runner laying against his leg.

"Do you think he will return?" Cadeyrn asked.

"He doesn't have a choice."

Amatheon looked puzzled. "Every man has a choice, no matter how rough it may be."

"He doesn't." Alec scooped the last vegetable from the bowl and after eating it tipped the bowl back to drink the broth.

Cadeyrn gave Amatheon an uncomfortable look that was returned.

Amatheon spoke, "Your man is a puzzlement. His clothes and manner suggest affluence, but he does what chore Cadeyrn asks of him without rancor. Until today, that is."

Cadeyrn leaned forward, looking sideways at Alec, "Perhaps he learned his manners as a house menial or slave, but whoever provided his clothing is a generous master."

Amatheon looked cynical. "If he were either, he would not dare run away like that. Will you tell us about the young man, Alec?"

Alec shrugged it away as inconsequential. "He is a third son. We have an agreement of sorts while we travel together."

"His father's name?" Amatheon asked, curious.

"Wyle the Chance Stealer."

Amatheon's mouth pursed, "The name sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't know him."

Alec looked bored and sat the bowl down. "I'll check the area again before I rest. You needn't set a watch tonight as I'll weave a ward to warn me if anyone approaches."

Amatheon nodded and reached over to pick up the bowl Alec had used. He returned to his family, Cadeyrn following.

*****

Muhldair ran his fingers through Runners ruff, his head tilted back, his eyes closed. He felt foolish and childish for running off, but he had to get away from Alec. *And* Gunoda, he thought with a grimace. Gunoda had been open about wanting him, but Muhldair would not risk a child. He was fey and worse than fey. Any child he had would likely be, also. A child of his would need its father to help protect it. Muhldair had been the son of a chieftain and still he had endured veiled insults and avoidance. He didn't love Gunoda and
even if he did, he couldn't marry her. He was a mage's familiar and he would go where he went, even if the mage was difficult to serve. A partnership, Alec had said. Muhldair let out a snort of derision. Alec knew he couldn't leave, not for long anyway. Alec might as well have a rope around his neck. Muhldair felt like he had a rock under his ribs. He felt tears leaking from the corners of his closed eyes and bit his lips between his teeth. Runner
whined and pushed her head against his hand. Muhldair scratched behind her ears and willed the tears away. He needed to return to the camp and dreaded the stares and questioning looks he would get when he did. He pushed himself up and grabbed his spear. He headed back.

*****

Muhldair was drenched and chilled when he entered the camp. He went to the wagon to find his cloak but after a few minutes searching for it knew it wasn't there. Cursing under his breath, he wondered who had taken it for extra warmth. Looking around, he saw they had made four small lean-tos to shelter under. He ran over to them, looking for the one Alec was in. He dove into it, finding himself sitting, shuddering at Alec's knees. Runner pushed herself inside as much as possible, but the back half of her was exposed to the rain.

Shaking, Muhldair wrapped his arms around himself. Water running down his face, teeth chattering, he looked into Alec's cold stare. Alec sat there looking him over. Muhldair's hair was flat against his head, wet strings of it sticking to his face. His lips were trembling, teeth clenched to stop the chattering. "Idiot." Alec said flatly. Alec reached behind him and threw Muhldair his cloak. Muhldair grabbed it and was purely glad that it was dry. Alec must have taken it from the wagon before the rain fell. He wrapped it around himself. Uncertain, he looked up through his lashes at Alec. He didn't think Alec would make him leave the little shelter, but he might have to listen to his ridicule.

"You missed a nice hot stew, Fox." Muhldair looked down, biting his lower lip.

"We could have used your help while we set up the lean-tos. You got here in time to enjoy it, though." Muhldair shifted his position so his side faced Alec.

"You ought to give up some of your pay to make up for this day."

"Partners don't get 'pay.'" Muhldair said staring ahead. "And I've done more than my share of real work since we joined them." The two of them sat there in silence, sharing resentment.

Muhldair broke the silence, his voice bitter. "They believe me to be your menial. You led them to believe it."

"Amatheon wanted to hire a mage. That's me. He agreed to hire you to help with the cattle and to fight if we came under attack. That gave us a higher payment. That's all it was."

"You might have discussed it with me. I could have had the illusion of some say in it."

Alec fought back the desire to go for Muhldair's throat. He wanted to feel him choking for breath, weakly struggling underneath him for just a few moments. Then he'd let him go. Just for a few moments, he wanted him to submit. To, by the gods!, understand he was the familiar to a powerful mage.

Muhldair wished he could leave this arrogant, manipulating, aggravating mage. He would surely die a worn out, maddened, husk of a man at an early age. He was the familiar of a powerful mage and only death would end it. Alec was young, about the same age as Muhldair. A mage would live long past the age of a normal man. He would outlive Muhldair by decades. Muhldair suddenly felt a bottomless despair. He would never get away, never lead a life for himself. Holding in a sob he twisted up and ran from the lean-to, taking shelter under the wagon with the cage of chickens.

Alec watched in surprise as Muhldair escaped the shelter. Muhldair was trying to control his emotions, but Alec could sense his anxiety and mourning. Why mourning? What was wrong with him? Runner stood up and turned around in the lean-to. She whined and looked at Alec. When he didn't respond she left the shelter and went to Muhldair. Alec was glad to see the black wolf go and he refused to spend any more time worrying about the prince's moodiness. If he wanted to sit out there in the rain, that was fine with him.

*****

Alec called to Amatheon. "There is a group of men coming. They are separated into three groups, one behind and one on each side. I saw ten of them."

Amatheon strode over to the wagon and released the shield. "Weapons?"

"Possibly a couple of swords, long knives, cudgels. I saw two short bows. They sure didn't look like outcasts, Amatheon. "

Amatheon grunted and adjusted the shield on his arm. Cadeyrn and the two sons ran over. Amatheon gave them instructions and they raced to obey them. The women were responsible for the wagons and animals, but Alec saw both of them take up wooden clubs. The blond menial stayed with the women, a staff in his hands.

Muhldair went to Alec's side. Alec quickly told him what he saw.

"Do you want me with you?"

"Yes, but I won't need to draw you into the spell. My fire spells are strong without you. You'll fight."

Muhldair nodded, then stiffened in alarm. "Damn! Runner." Muhldair could feel her coming back. He didn't want her to go with him. He mentally pushed her away. She was confused, unhappy. He pushed again. She was hesitant, then he could feel her leaving. She definitely wasn't happy.

"Is everything all right?"

"Yes. I'm sorry, Alec. I'm ready."

"We are going into the woods after the three on this side. They don't know there's a mage. They don't know they're expected. When we take care of them, we'll return and help the others."

Muhldair didn't answer, he just started walking into the woods, spear ready. Alec moved slightly ahead of him, weaving a seeing spell. Muhldair kept a watchful eye on the surroundings and on Alec. For this hunt, Alec would lead.

Alec stopped moving and Muhldair could sense him releasing the spell. He looked over at him for orders. Alec pointed slightly to his right, and Muhldair nodded. Alec formed a small fire ball in his hands. Muhldair moved to the right and crept forward. Muhldair spotted the men and picked his target. Only seconds passed when one of the men screamed and the other two turned to see what was happening. Muhldair broke into the open and thrust his spear into the side of the chosen target before the man completely turned to face him with his cudgel. The remaining man screamed as a fire ball flamed around him. Muhldair pulled his spear free and blocked the clumsy swing by the wounded man. Muhldair drew back to position himself better and knocked another swing away. The man was wild eyed, blood darkening his side from the wound. Muhldair knew it was only time, he made a few more blocks and feints before he finished it. He looked up to see Alec impatient to go. As soon as Muhldair moved toward him Alec raced off. Muhldair couldn't keep up with Alec when he went all out. He did the best he could.

Alec was heading for the four men on the path behind Amatheon and his family. He didn't think the brigands would have closed in on the family yet.

Trying to keep Alec in view, racing behind, Muhldair thought it was too bad the fire balls caused such noisy, smelly deaths. You just couldn't sneak up on men after one was tossed. On the other hand, they certainly were bad on morale.

Alec came to the edge of the path behind the four brigands. The four were facing Amatheon and Cadeyrn who were about 60 feet from them.

"Loic," Amatheon called out. "I wish I was surprised. I see Shaky is with you. Who else?"

A darkly handsome man stepped forward and shifted his weight in an arrogant manner. "We had to turn down men who wanted to come. We would have had to split the prize too many ways."

"Well, come on then. Let's not waste the day."

The four men started forward, the two on the end going out slightly. The short sturdy man at one end had a short bow that he was aiming. Muhldair moved toward the men. Alec stepped on the path and casually walked forward. He formed the spell and cast. The archer gave a shattering scream as he was enveloped in fire. The remaining three men turned and saw Alec and Muhldair. Amatheon and Cadeyrn rushed toward them.

"You might think twice, Amatheon," Loic called out. "The rest of my men will have your family captured by now."

Amatheon kept coming, a wild grin forming. Loic gave a roar and ran to meet him. Cadeyrn headed for the man in the middle. Muhldair changed direction to take the last man. The man Muhldair was heading for turned and tried to help the man facing Cadeyrn. Perhaps he hoped if they got rid of Cadeyrn, the two of them could turn on Muhldair. Alec prevented that by throwing an air shield around him. The man gasped and clutched at his throat. He looked bug eyed at Alec. Alec smiled and pointed at Muhldair, then released the spell. The man gasped and saw Muhldair was almost on him. He crouched down, long knife held in front of him. Muhldair came to a stop and dropped his spear. He drew his knife and moved in. Satisfied, Alec wove the spell to let himself see the wagons. Everything looked calm. One brigand was on the ground, holding his stomach. The blond menial was standing a little away from the wounded man on the ground, just watching him. Amatheons's young sons and the two women were watchful but not terribly upset. Alec searched for the remaining two brigands and saw them running away through the forest.

Alec relaxed and watched the fight. Cadeyrn took out his man first. Cadeyrn's eyes went to Amatheon first, then, satisfied Amatheon was in no immediate trouble and wouldn't want Cadeyrn's help, he turned toward Muhldair. The man Muhldair faced looked confident and Cadeyrn wasn't sure if he should help. He started to approach them when Alec drew Cadeyrn's attention and shook his head.

Cadeyrn knew Alec could help Amatheon or Muhldair if they needed it. He started to run back to the wagons. Alec yelled at him. Turning, he heard Alec say that everything was in control at the wagons, he didn't need to hurry back. Cadeyrn relaxed for a moment, stretched out his arms and went to Alec's side. Cadeyrn kept his eyes on Amatheon's fight, Alec on Muhldair's.

Loic fell with a scream that held as much anger as pain. Amatheon placed a foot on Loic's sword then drove his own sword into Loic again. Amatheon stepped away and quickly took in the situation around him and relaxed. He took a few deep breaths and strolled over to join Cadeyrn and Alec. The three of them watched Muhldair and his foe.

"They're both good." Cadeyrn said conversationally.

"Should we interfere?" Amatheon asked.

"No!" Cadeyrn and Alec said together.

For a few minutes the three of them made comments on the fight and occasionally called encouragement to Muhldair, then it was over. Muhldair took a couple of weaving steps away from the body and hunched over, his hands gripping his bent knees. He was breathing hard, sweat was pouring off him. Grinning, Cadeyrn walked over and put his arm around Muhldair's shoulders. "Good fight," he said patting him. Muhldair looked up to see Alec. Alec had his arms crossed over his chest and flashed a wide toothy grin.


*****

Cadeyrn and Muhldair were left to drag the bodies off the path. Amatheon and Alec went back to the wagons.

"What happened?" Amatheon asked his oldest son.

"They rushed the camp, just three of them. Mother broke one of their arms, he ran into the woods. Sulee and I took him down," he said pointing to the man on the ground. The brigand was moaning, his hands clenched over his belly. "The last one ran away when he realized he was alone."

Alec cast the seeing spell to look for the missing brigands and found them. "I know where the other two are," he told Amatheon.

"What are they doing?"

"Running, as fast as they can."

Amatheon looked down at the wounded brigand. "Mohdnea."

The man looked up, his face twisted in pain. "Why should I have expected gratitude?" Amatheon asked in a low voice. He wasn't aware he'd spoken out loud. He knelt down and pushed Mohdnea's hands away. The wound was bad, most wouldn't survive it.

Alec leaned down over Amatheon's shoulder. "You knew these men?" he asked.

"Some of them. We fought together."

"What are you going to do about him?" Alec asked.

Mohdnea looked up at them, eyes hopeless in a pain filled face. Moaning, he looked away.

Amatheon didn't answer. Alec's voice was level, only slightly curious. "A wound like that, if left alone, will cause an agonizing death. I would understand if you wanted that. He attacked your family. If you don't, he needs to be killed quickly or healed."

"I spared him once." Amatheon said quietly. He bent down and lifted Mohdnea partly up. His right hand drew his dagger. With one quick thrust Amatheon drove it up into his heart. Mohdnea jerked and his eyes went wide. Amatheon laid him back down. He casually looked away, then went to his feet.

"I didn't spare him, I won't spare the others. Find them."

*****

It was two weeks since the attack. Amatheon had Alec watching for the men who would be joining him. Today, just before mid meal, Alec had seen them coming. Amatheon clapped him on the arm and thanked him for his services. He told Alec to see him when they stopped for the night and he would give him his payment.

Alec went to the back of the herd to join Muhldair. Muhldair had his spear fastened crossways on his back in a very unorthodox manner. Alec watched as Muhldair chewed his tongue while juggling three stones as he walked.

"Bored?"

"Nooo. I *love* swallowing dust and stepping over shit. I enjoy taking orders like the lowest menial while dodging a lusty widow, who, by the way, I'm not always eager to dodge. And I owe it all to you. My hero. How may I serve today?"

Alec's mouth formed a circle while his eyebrows drew together. With a soft sigh too low to hear, he decided he preferred this Fox over the taciturn Fox, barely. "The men Amatheon was expecting will be here in less than an hour. Our services will no longer be needed. We'll be leaving in the morning."

Muhldair stopped juggling the rocks and stood still. He closed his eyes, elevated his chin and smiled. "I can be ready to go as soon as I gather my pack and cloak."

"Amatheon is paying us this evening."

Alec was amused when Muhldair's shoulders drooped and he started to pout. Then Muhldair gave a resigned sigh and starting juggling the rocks again as he followed the small herd. "All right. Tomorrow morning."

Muhldair agilely stepped over a pile, not even looking down.

*****

Amatheon and Cadeyrn came to speak with Muhldair the next morning while Alec was getting some supplies from Amatheon's wife.

"When your arrangement with the mage is over, we have a place in our settlement for you. We'd allow you some land to build on. You are the type of person we want," Amatheon said.

"I'll even throw in some chickens." Cadeyrn grinned.

Muhldair was both surprised and flattered. He felt his throat tighten up. He knew he would never be able to accept the offer, but wanted to. He thanked them, trying to hide his weakness. The men clasped his forearm before leaving and wished him well. Amatheon reminded him before turning away that the offer would stay open.

*****

They left the encampment early, not even staying for break fast. Alec for once let Muhldair have his way. Muhldair strolled, loose limbed, content for the moment. Runner was echoing his mood, running around, tongue hanging out, actually capering. Alec watched them, confounded. Their good mood made Alec wary.

"Tell me. How much did we earn, Alec?" Muhldair asked with a wide grin, his hazel eyes soft and chummy.

"We did well." Alec said with a cheerfulness that made Muhldair suspicious.

Muhldair's grin faltered. "How well?"

"Amatheon didn't have much coin on him, of course, with purchasing the wagons, cattle, tools and supplies he needed."

Muhldair's eyes were losing their softness. "What did he give us?"

Alec braced himself. He lifted his hand for Muhldair to see.

Muhldair looked at the thin band. "What is that, Alec?"

"It's a gold ring, a very generous payment. It's worth twice our fee."

"How do you propose to split that? Who do you know who would buy it from us? Even my father would never splurge for such a thing."

"I ... I thought I'd keep it. A mage has an image ..."

"And I would get .... what?"

Alec sighed. "I'll buy your half from you."

"When?"

"As we earn more fees. It won't take long, Fox. There is no reason for you to worry, it's not as though I could sneak off and leave you, just as you can't leave me."

Muhldair turned away, head down, staring blindly at the ground. There was truth in that. Alec would never be far from his side for long, he would eventually get his share. Alec would always get what he wanted first, but in time things would start balancing out.

"I want a short bow, Alec. And I don't want it paid for out of my share. You'll get some benefits from it, too."

Alec thought about it. He nodded. "All right." He offered Muhldair a one sided grin. "I suppose you expect a quiver and arrows."

"At first. I'll learn to make arrows."

Alec nodded and turned back to the path. They walked quietly together, each keeping their emotions muted.

*****

Alec sat leaning against a stump watching Muhldair try to hit the target. Muhldair cursed with enthusiasm and pulled up another of the arrows stuck point down in the dirt by his feet. He drew the bow back and aimed. He hit the edge of the straw target this time. Tired, he laid the bow down and walked past the target to find his arrows. When he found them all he returned to the target and took out the three that managed to hit it. He unstrung his bow before returning all the arrows to the quiver.

Alec stood up and stretched, inch by inch. He laid his head to one side and then the other to take the kinks out. He finally looked over at Muhldair who was working the soreness from his shoulders and arms. "Ready to go? I'm hungry."

"Ready," Muhldair replied in that flat way he had lately. Runner padded over and pushed against him. Muhldair scratched her for a short time, then patted his leg for Runner to heel.

Alec walked toward the inn, going around to the front entrance. He didn't bother to turn around to see if Muhldair followed, he could feel him behind him. He was getting used to it. He thought Muhldair was, too.

This was the first time Muhldair had ever been in a city and Alec enjoyed watching his reactions.

When he had reactions, that is. Muhldair had shut down: his voice, his eyes, his facial expressions. His body moved with an economy of motion. Alec found himself looking for ways to excite him. Sometimes he succeeded. Watching the potters or the workers in copper never failed to interest Muhldair. Those were skills he never saw in the settlement he was from. He also spent a great deal of time in the markets looking at items he hadn't known existed, fingering them if the vendors allowed. He borrowed money from Alec, (or asked for a portion of what was his, depending on who did the talking), to buy some bone arrow heads and a straw hat. Sometimes, a foreigner in strange garb would attract Muhldair's attention. Alec noticed Muhldair's eyes were especially drawn to bright colored clothing. Alec thought that was something to remember if he ever needed to bribe Muhldair. Alec suppressed a grin. One of the student mages at the college had a crow that loved bright, shiny objects.

They entered the inn. Alec went to the table he preferred and sat with his back toward the wall. He liked seeing what was going on in the room.

Muhldair went up to their room and left his bow and quiver. He told Runner to stay and went back downstairs. He joined Alec at his table, sitting to his right. Alec ordered the stew, which was mostly cabbage and onions. Muhldair did the same.

"Do you know how to make your own arrows yet?"

Muhldair shrugged. "I know what to do, now I need to get the technique down. I don't expect them to fly straight right away."

"I never miss a target." Alec smirked, forming an imaginary fire ball.

Muhldair gave him a slow, empty glance. Alec gave up and returned to his ale. He would love to get Muhldair into a verbal battle. He missed the Muhldair he knew in the settlement.

Muhldair was guarding his emotions again. Once in a while Alec could sense a sadness or despair, but didn't know what was causing it. Muhldair was losing weight, too. Not much, but he was slender when they met. Alec was growing worried, although he wasn't sure he needed to be. In plain truth, he didn't know what to do.

Muhldair pushed his bowl away from him.

"Aren't you going to finish it?"

"I've had enough," Muhldair answered, rolling a tankard of ale between his hands.

"I'll be right back." Alec stood up and headed for the kitchen. He spoke to the man who met him at the doorway. After a few minutes he headed back with something in his hand. He sat down and plopped it in front of Muhldair.

Muhldair looked down at the pastry and gave Alec a questioning look.

"It's a damn to hells apple dumpling and I want you to eat it." he said surlily.

Muhldair blinked in surprise. Alec wasn't guarding his emotions and in his surprise Muhldair opened himself up to them. Alec was worried. About him. At first, Muhldair felt a warm glow of pleasure to think he'd worry about him, but then he doubted Alec's motive. As he understood it, a mage only had one familiar. If he lost it, he'd never have another. No, that couldn't be all there was to it. Muhldair wasn't dying. He knew he had been trying to distance himself from Alec, but he would never be able to leave him. Alec didn't need him happy to use him. He'd have to think this through. He looked down to see he'd torn pieces out of the dumpling and had already eaten several bites. He looked up to see Alec watching him, his eyes dark.

"It's good," he offered.

Alec mumbled something and looked down at the table. He seemed very intent in watching his tankard.

Muhldair finished the dumpling and then nursed what was left of his ale. "I've been studying the bone arrow heads I purchased. I think I could learn to make them." The words were offered up like an apology.

"Really?" Alec answered with only a little hesitation.

Muhldair nodded. He leaned backward a little. "Not right away. I need to perfect my arrows and practice my archery, but, yes, I think I could learn to make them."

"Mmm, that's good, then."

"Umm," Muhldair agreed, taking another swig.

*****

Alec was excited. He needed to find Muhldair to give him the news. He was hurrying through the marketplace, maneuvering through the early morning crowds, when he saw Muhldair walking quickly toward him. Alec came to a halt in surprise. He wasn't expecting to see him here.

"I thought you were going to spend the morning practicing? What brought you here? "

"You did."

"I did?"

"You wanted me, I came."

"How did you know ... ? Oh. This is new." Alec sounded worried.

"It is, isn't it? I only knew you wanted me. I didn't stop to think about it." Muhldair was starting to fidget, shifting his weight from one foot to the other.

"I have to think about this for awhile. All right? We'll think about it."

Muhldair looked up through his lashes, biting his lower lip. A slow shiver slid down his body.

"I wanted to tell you we had a job. An exciting job. You're going to love it."

Muhldair slid a sweaty palm down one pant leg. His hands wanted to form fists. He made them relax.

"What will we be doing?"

"We're going to hunt down and kill a monster that's been raiding a settlement," Alec said happily.

"A monster?" Muhldair quit fidgeting. He wasn't moving at all.

"Yes, it will be a rare opportunity. It will build my reputation. We're going to be rich in a few years, you'll see."

"What is the monster like? What is it?"

"It's either a dragon or a giant snake. Don't know yet. We'll know soon enough. I want to leave today. You gather our gear up and I'll purchase supplies. I'll meet you at the inn."

Muhldair wasn't moving. His eyes were rounded, blank.

"Muhldair. Today, Muhldair."

Muhldair gulped and stood there another few minutes after Alec left. He slowly found his way back to the inn. Runner looked up at him when he entered the room and made a rumbling sound in her throat. She stayed where she was, her head resting on her legs and watched him. He gathered up their gear and carefully packed it. When he was done he sat on the edge of the bed waiting for Alec. "A dragon," he whispered. He drew his long knife and looked it over carefully. A close weapon. He hefted his spear. Definitely not far enough away. "A dragon?" His heart sinking into his lower regions, he looked at the short bow. He still wasn't hitting the target consistently. Alec's spells didn't seem adequate for a ... a dragon?

He sat there whispering to himself, "You promised, Alec. We were supposed to agree on the jobs we accepted. A damn to hells dragon! Oh, Alec. You son of a bitch."

The End?

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Flintstriker.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.

Series this work belongs to: