Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Lovely Days, Lovely Nights
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2008-01-03
Words:
63,066
Chapters:
16/16
Kudos:
30
Hits:
8,749

A New Beginning

Summary:

Heyes and Kid are hired to discover who is threatening a famous singer. Will they find out who is behind her mysterious accidents in time? Or, will Kid lose the woman he is fast learning to love? Lot’s of twists and turns!

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text

A New Beginning

By Denise Craig and Sable

 

This story is dedicated to my daughter. She nudged and nagged me to put my idea’s to paper. This is the result. Thank you sweetheart.

 

Also to BJ, who challenged and encouraged me, and my lovely beta readers, coyote and Maz. Thanks girls.

 

And to my dear co-author, for all your hard work and for your wonderful idea’s. Thank you. I couldn’t have done it without you.

 

Denise Craig

 

 

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

2007

 

 

Chapter 1

 

I walk back to the modest boarding house where I stay. I am tired, but my head hardly aches at all. How long has it been now since the pain has driven everything else from my mind? Made me, a grown man in the prime of my life, whimper like a kicked cur? Three months, more? Though my head hardly aches, it is still a bit…foggy.

 

I do know why the men I work with don’t talk with me at break times. What is the saying struggling to surface from the mist that clutches my mind? Ah, yes, ‘I’m not so mad, I do not KNOW it.’ I smile, ruefully. I cannot hold the smile though. Escaping the pain is good but it is still lonely in my fog…so very lonely.

 

Color catches my eye. A poster advertising some singer, touring. I read the name but don’t recognize it…at first. Something is stirring in the fog. For a moment I wonder, ‘Why am I getting angry?’ But only for a moment, because now I cannot wonder anything. I cannot think… anything. I cannot…Pain, Pain. I do not even feel the ground as I hit it, not through the wall of…PAIN.

 

 

00000

 

 

Three Months Later

 

Amnesty Investigations had been in operation for a year now and was located in Denver. Its offices were situated above the Tribune, the local newspaper, which made it convenient for hearing about any breaking news. The agency had a sense of organized clutter to it. There were newspapers and files stacked in piles on one desk, evidence of previously smoked cigars and half filled coffee cups on the other. There was a comfortable couch next to the pot- bellied stove as well as an overstuffed chair for visitors. A door leading to a back room opened to reveal file cabinets and a cot that looked like it had been slept on recently. Books lined one wall of the office, and on the other, were framed newspaper clippings and maps with pins in them.

 

The two men who ran the agency were very good at what they did. One tall, slim, with soft brown hair, amazing dimples and eyes the color of melted chocolate. He had a quick mind and, it was said, could talk his way out of a tiger’s belly.

He was charming, witty and better at poker than most.

 

His partner was also tall, a little more muscular, with blond curls, a boyish face and dazzling blue eyes. His smile had melted more than one woman’s heart. He was the grounding force for his partner’s sometimes-extraordinary ideas. His unnatural ability with a gun was what had kept them alive for so long…at least according to him.

 

They hadn’t really known what to do with themselves after the amnesty had come through. They had talked about different options, ranching, farming, even banking. These were either too hard on the back or held too much temptation. It seemed that with Heyes’ love of a puzzle and Kid’s natural propensity toward helping people, private investigating had been a natural fit. They enjoyed their jobs and liked the travel it afforded them. Now after a year, they had reputations of being honest, resourceful and discreet. When the case called for it, they were Heyes and Curry. When discretion was the better part of valor, they were Smith and Jones. Either way the job was done and their reputations grew.

 

00000

 

 

Scott McBride was a tall, lean man in his forties. His square, clean-shaven face held kind eyes and a pleasant smile. He could have easily passed for a cowboy with his weathered appearance, except for the three-piece suit he wore. He wanted to hire Heyes and Curry to protect a famous singer. The men really didn’t like to hire out as bodyguards but Mr. McBride had told them a tale of intrigue.

He used the words ‘impossible’ and ‘mystery’ so often that Kid knew they would take the case. His partner was positively salivating. To Heyes the phrase ‘impossible’ was a personal affront.

 

The woman they were to guard, Jennifer Landis, had traveled the U.S. and Europe as a world-class soloist. She had seen the world and still managed to stay down to earth. When Scott told them that she gave a portion of her money to orphanages, Heyes was impressed. He and Kid were frequent contributors to the orphanage in town themselves and he could appreciate this.

 

Mr. McBride had been her manager and friend for the last ten years. He had contacted the boys after she had had several dangerous accidents.

 

“So, let me see if I have this straight,” Kid said. “Miss Landis is due to receive a very large inheritance from her Grandmother. There have been several accidents that could have turned out bad for her and you want us to find out what’s goin’ on.”

 

“Yes, her Grandmother, Mrs. Ward, is very wealthy but very ill. The Doctor gives her about six months. Jennifer’s inheritance will be very substantial.”

 

“Uh, how substantial?” said Heyes now.

 

“25,000.00 dollars,” said Mr. McBride, not missing a beat.

 

“25,000.00 dollars?!” they said in unison.

 

“That’s a lot of reasons to want to kill someone,” Heyes continued. “How come she inherits from her grandmother?”

 

“Jennifer was raised by her maternal grandmother after her parents died in a buggy accident. Mrs. Ward was already raising Jen’s cousin Belle, and the two girls grew up as sisters. Both girls will inherit $25,000 a piece.”

 

“So, if Miss Landis were… out of the way,” said Heyes, “Belle would inherit everything?”

 

“Yes,” confirmed Mr. McBride. “But I don’t see Belle as a prime suspect. She received a substantial legacy from her own parents. Belle would do anything for Jennifer, they are very close.”

 

“Uh, huh,” grunted Heyes. He did not doubt Mr. McBride’s sincerity, but he had seen plenty of people who had been close, grow distant once large sums of money were at stake. More than that, if Belle were a young single woman, any suitor could be thinking she might be twice as attractive with $50,000 as opposed to $25,000. He kept these thoughts to himself and said instead, “Miss Landis doesn’t suspect that these ‘accidents’ were meant for her?”

 

“No gentlemen. That is why I contacted you. I was told you were discreet. If you were to take the case, all she would know is that you were hired on to replace part of her road crew. My only condition, she must not know.”

 

“Excuse me for saying this but do you think that’s fair to Miss Landis? Shouldn’t she know that she’s in danger and that her Grandmother is dyin’?” Heyes asked as he paced the floor.

 

“This was Mrs. Ward’s wish. She wants Jen to concentrate on her career. Mrs. Ward has been ill for a very long time and encouraged Jennifer to go. She didn’t want her stuck in the house with an ‘old woman’ for company.” He laughed slightly, “She practically shoved her out the door. I think Jennifer only did it to make her Grandmother happy. Then the accidents started happening about a month ago. Jennifer doesn‘t suspect these accidents are aimed at her.”

 

“And you do?” Heyes asked.

 

“They are not just simple things. Things that shouldn’t happen…do.”

 

“Who knows about the inheritance?” asked Kid now.

 

“It’s a well known fact. I think it was even in the newspapers in some of the surrounding areas.”

 

“Does Miss Landis have any enemies?” This was from Heyes.

 

“She has made a few, shall we say, unfriendly acquaintances in the business,” said Mr. McBride, “People with whom she has terminated contracts, or refused to sign with. Occasional employees she has had to let go. And there are always rivals,” he thought for a minute, “and rival’s managers. But I can’t think of anyone who would go so far as to threaten her life.”

 

“Does Mrs. Ward have any staff?” Kid enquired.

 

“Yes, a cook, housekeeper and butler. The cook and housekeeper have been with her about two years but the butler has been with her for over 30.”

 

Heyes smiled. He liked mysteries and this one was shaping up just fine.

 

00000

 

 

Scott had set out right after talking to them; they were to follow the next day. The town the troupe was in was not very far away. They discussed the case in the privacy of the stagecoach.

 

So, what’da ya think?”

 

“I think we have a lot of suspects, Kid.”

 

“Yeah, there is the crew,” began Kid, “and the band.”

 

“I’m thinking, kind un-mercenary cousin Belle,” smiled Heyes, “or of course anyone who plans on taking rich cousin Belle down the aisle any time soon.”

 

“The help at her Grandmother’s,” mused Kid.

 

“Maybe,” demurred Heyes. He thought a moment. “What about Scott McBride?” he asked.

 

“But he hired us,” protested Kid.

 

“Smartest thing to do if he means to murder her. It’d deflect suspicion,” pointed out Heyes. “What’s your take on the man?” he asked. He valued Kid’s ability to size up people. He seemed to sense danger naturally. A skill that had saved them from trouble on more than one occasion in their outlaw days.

 

“He’s a business man. I think he’s protecting his job as much as her career, but I think his concern is real.”

 

“Yeah, that’s what I got, at least on the surface. I mean to check out what happens to him if Miss Landis dies.”

 

Kid gave Heyes an inquiring look.

 

“My guess is,” explained Heyes, “he has her heavily insured. Sure, she’s a steady income stream for him, but suppose he prefers, or needs, one large lump sum?” He frowned, “I’m not saying that’s what I think, just, that I want to know the facts.”

 

“So, how’da ya want to play this?” Kid asked.

 

“I think you should watch Miss Landis while I make enquiries about McBride’s finances and check out the crew.”

 

Kid looked at him suspiciously. “Why are you just letting me watch Miss Landis? You usually like to keep the pretty women for yourself.”

 

“Who said she was pretty?” Heyes teased.

 

This concerned Kid. “Let’s make this fair. Let’s flip a coin.”

 

“All right.” Heyes pulled out a coin and flipped it in the air. “Call it.”

 

“Heads!”

 

Heyes caught it and flipped it over onto the back of his gloved hand. “Tails Kid. You take care of the singer and I’ll take care of the crew.”

 

Kid just sat there with his arms crossed. “She had better not be some stuck-up woman Heyes.”

 

“Now Kid, she gives her money to poor orphans,” he said sarcastically.

 

“So do you,” Kid retorted “and you have an ego the size of Texas!”

 

Heyes just threw his head back and laughed.

 

00000

 

 

“Moving on already, Edgar?” asks Frank. The words, as always, take a moment to reach through the fog.

 

“Yes,” I say. I leave it at that. He is, I suppose, just trying to be nice. Just making lunchtime conversation. What does he care how quickly a drifter taking casual work moves on.

 

He chews on his hard roll. “Got a town in mind?”

 

I finger the tour schedule in my jacket. No need to bring it out. I know it by heart. It is burnt…seared…into my mind. I shake my head, trying to shake away the throb just for a second. “Evergreen,” I say.

 

“Uh huh,” he chews in silence.

 

I throw away my own sandwich. Anger is meat and drink enough for me. I have… remembered!

 

 

00000

 

 

When they arrived in Evergreen, Scott was there to meet them. He got them settled in at the hotel and then told them that Jennifer was at the local orphanage. “I’ll be at the concert hall if you need me,” he advised them.

 

When Heyes and Kid found the singer, she was staring out of the attic window, seemingly daydreaming. A dirty white apron covered her skirt and blouse, her only make-up, dirt smudges on each cheek. Instead of music, she held a broom. She was filthy and Kid thought he had never seen anyone more lovely. He silently thanked Heyes’ coin.

 

Heyes cleared his throat “Uhh…excuse me, Miss Landis?”

 

Jennifer started as the deep baritone reached her ears. Turning, she couldn’t quite believe her eyes. There stood her beloved, the light of her life. “Nathan,” she whispered.

 

“Ma‘am,” Heyes said.

 

Jennifer took a step closer. It was him, no… wait, the man in front of her could have been Nathan’s twin brother but he wasn’t Nathan. “I’m sorry,” she said shaking her head. She continued to stare hard at him.

 

Heyes and Kid looked at her confused but let it slide, “Miss Landis, Mr. McBride told us where to find you. We are here to replace the two men who left,” said Heyes.

 

“Oh! Yes, well gentlemen,” she rubbed her hand on her apron and then offered it to them.

 

“My name is Joshua Smith and my friend here is Thaddeus Jones.”

 

“I’m very pleased to meet you. I hope you’ll feel welcome in our little family. Has Scott provided for your accommodations?”

 

“Yes ma’am.” Kid finally found his voice.

She found herself gazing into sky blue eyes and for a moment, all other thoughts were put aside. She shook herself for the second time. “Good,” she stuttered and then composed herself, “You will have the rest of the day off and can start tomorrow. We have a concert then and will be leaving the next day. So, unless you wish to grab a broom, I will see you at dinner tonight.” Kid immediately took the broom from her hands. She was shocked. “Why thank you Mr. Jones, all help is appreciated.”

 

“Uh, Thaddeus, I’ll meet you back at the hotel. I need to check out a few things.”

 

Kid just nodded, blue eyes staring into hazel. Heyes left, shaking his head.

 

“So, what’s a beautiful woman like you doin’ in a place like this?” Kid asked jokingly.

 

Jennifer looked confused. “Helping.”

 

“No, I mean you’re a famous person. You must have more important things to do?”

 

“Mr. Jones, helping children in anyway we can is about the most important thing I can think of!”

 

He held up his hand to ward off the anger in her voice. “I only meant you already give money to orphanages; you could hire someone to do this.”

 

“I like to do this. I like interacting with the children. You can find out a lot about what is

really going on by talking to the kids. Headmasters tell you what they want you to know; children tell the truth.”

 

She continued her cleaning. “I think you may have gotten the wrong impression about the money though, I don’t just hand the headmaster a check. To give a headmaster carte blanche with money is foolish. It just ends up in their back pocket.

If the children need coats, I buy coats. If the roof needs patching, I buy the lumber and nails. Most of the labor is free when the town finds out that I will be involved with the project. They usually turn out ‘to help’.”

 

Kid didn‘t know what carte blanche was, but he was impressed with her insight. He hadn’t expected her to know the real workings of a place like this.

 

“I wish I could make it a town project, to collect the money and do repairs, but I’m not in one place long enough. I’ve found they usually don‘t give the children a second thought! They’re just there. It’s so disheartening!” Realizing she was getting worked up, she stopped. “I’m sorry. I tend to get a little protective over my pet projects,” she laughed guiltily.

 

Kid thought it was one of the nicest sounds and laughed with her. “It’s nice to see someone takin’ an active interest in their welfare. I just wish it happened more often.”

 

He smiled at her and she felt her heart skip a beat.

 

00000

 

 

While Kid was helping Jennifer, Heyes had gone over to the concert hall. He wanted to talk to the band and crew, see how they felt about their employer. He found them in a back room, playing poker and lounging. Scott came up to him and shook his hand.

 

“Where’s your partner?” he asked quietly.

 

“He’s guardin’ Miss Landis,” Heyes whispered back. “I want to talk to the crew, feel them out.”

 

“Alright, I’ll introduce you.” He cleared his throat to get everyone’s attention. “Everyone, this is Joshua Smith. He and his friend, Thaddeus Jones, are replacing Steven and Harry.” There were welcomes extended by the crew. “Alright, dinner’s at six. You have the rest of the afternoon off.” Scott nodded his head to Heyes as he left. “I have some paperwork to do. See you later?” Heyes nodded his understanding.

 

He ambled around talking to this man and that, and then noticed a seat open up at the poker game. “May I join you?” he inquired.

 

“Sure, ifin ya don’ min’ losin,” said a balding Irishman.

 

“Not if you don’t,” Heyes countered.

 

The big man laughed and slapped his knee. “Right welcome ya be. I’ll be O’Donnell, and this here shaggy mutt be Henderson.” He pointed to a gangly youth on his left. “Then we have Robbins, Carter, Ford, Fuller and Granger.”

 

Heyes nodded his hellos. They were a varied sort: tall, short, skinny, old and young.

 

“The game’s five card draw. Jacks or better ta’ open.”

 

Heyes anteed up. He played a laid-back game for a while and engaged in small talk. They were fair players and all seemed friendly and open. After a while, he asked about his new employer. “So, what’s Miss Landis like?” he asked offhandedly.

 

O’Donnell spoke up, “A fairer lass you’ll neva meet. She’ll be expectin’ ya ta’ pull yer own weight, but won’t be a askin’ any more of ya than she would be a askin’ of herself. She likes ta’ think of us as one big family, she does, and she is ta’ momma hen.” The men all laughed at this.

 

“But we don’t take to anyone messin’ with her!” Ford spoke, and there were murmurs of assent.

 

00000

 

 

A few hours later, Heyes met up with Kid in their hotel room. Kid was taking a bath.

 

Heyes threw his hat on the bed and straddled a chair facing his pruning partner. “Well, Kid, as far as the crew and the band go, no one seemed to have any grudge with Miss Landis,” started Heyes.

“The worst anyone had to say is that everyone has to walk on eggshells when ever she is composing, and they put that down to…” he mimicked a drawl, “feminine, artistic, temperament!”

 

“Hmm,” Kid mumbled. He had been conjuring up an image of a perfect Jennifer, but he supposed ‘feminine, artistic, temperament’ might not have shown up in the singer while using a broom.

 

“And,” said Heyes, thoughtfully, “one or two of the crew who have been with her the longest, say there is somethin’…different, the last few weeks. They were a bit cagey, because they obviously feel very loyal but I get the impression somethin’ has been making her just a little…” he searched, “…a little moodier than usual.”

 

“Could be the accidents playin’ on her mind?” suggested Kid.

 

“Uh huh,” considered Heyes.

 

“Could be just…female stuff,” was Kid’s second suggestion.

 

 

 

Heyes rolled his eyes. “Of course,” said Heyes, “if Belle, or anyone, has planted a crew member to arrange the accidents, he is hardly likely to be stupid enough to say anythin’ negative about Miss Landis.” He paced the spot in front of the tub. “I got a list of crew hire dates from McBride. Only a couple of fellas, a Bill Carter and some fella rejoicing in the name Ulysses Loughlin, joined in the last four or five months. It’s just possible they’ve been planted.”

 

“Uh huh,” Kid contributed.

 

“Carter I met tonight,” went on Heyes. He grinned, “I know we’re supposed to trust no one but if that lovable, silver haired, old gramps is arranging accidents…I’m giving up detectin‘! Then, I’m eatin’ my hat, trimmin’s and all!”

 

“Definitely my number one suspect then!” grinned Kid.

 

 

“This Loughlin guy doesn’t play poker,” glared Heyes, “so one of us still needs to get him talkin’. See if he raises any suspicions.”

 

“Did they say why the other men left?” asked Kid. “The ones who Carter and Loughlin and then us, replaced.”

 

“Yeah, two were getting married. One bought a farm, one she let go, but the other men seemed to think she was in the right. Gave the ones who left a bonus. Suppose we ought to follow up on the guy fired. Though, even he got a month’s pay in lieu. More than she was obliged to pay.”

 

“That seems to fit. The little time I spent with her, I can tell, she is a kind woman and very smart.” Kid laughed to himself remembering their conversation.

 

“She‘s very pretty too,” jabbed Heyes.

 

“No,” said Kid.

 

“No?”

 

“No, Heyes. She’s beautiful.”

 

Heyes just looked at him. Kid was doing it again.

 

00000

 

 

They entered the dining room a while later. They had changed clothes and were looking forward to a good dinner.

“Well, Mr. Smith, Mr. Jones, looks like we’re the last to arrive.”

 

They swung around and their jaws dropped. There stood Jennifer in a dark green,

velvet dress.

It hugged her rather shapely figure, accentuating the curves of her body, and cascading from slim hips to a full skirt at the bottom. The rounded neck of the dress framed a delicate chain and locket on the creamy white skin of her neck. Her auburn hair was up and held in place with tortoise shell combs. Heyes had to agree, she was beautiful.

 

“Miss Landis, may I escort you to your table?” Heyes offered his arm.

 

“Please, call me Jennifer or Jenny or Jen. We are very informal.”

 

“Then I am Joshua.”

 

“And I am Thaddeus,” said Kid offering her his arm also.

 

“Why thank-you Joshua, Thaddeus.” They entered the dining room unaware of the pleasant picture they made.

 

They had a leisurely dinner and found their employer to be very delightful. Gradually, the group dispersed to other activities. Soon only Heyes, Kid, Scott and Jennifer were left. The topic eventually turned to books and Heyes was in seventh heaven. Jennifer had read some of the same books as he had, and they lightly bantered back and forth over some key points.

 

“I never did understand how Phileas Fogg actually won the bet,” said Jennifer confused.

 

“You know, that bothered me for a while, but I think I have it figured out,” Heyes replied smugly. “Fogg began his journey on October 2, 1872. He left London at 8:45 PM, and went east. He believed he arrived in London on December 21st at 8:50. He really arrived on December 20th at 8:50 because he had gained a whole day by going east!”

 

“Yes!” she exclaimed. “He would have gained four minutes for every degree he traveled to the east.”

 

“Exactly!” Heyes was delighted she had understood so quickly where he was going with his explanation.

 

“So, since the circumference of the Earth has 360 degrees,” she mumbled calculations to herself, ‘this makes 360x4=1,440 minutes or’ “24 hours!”

 

Heyes eyes sparkled with enthusiasm.

 

“I really should have figured it out sooner. I have been to Europe and had to deal with the time differences myself. I can understand his confusion.”

 

Usually about this point, Kid’s mind would have wandered, but he was finding the sound of her voice almost hypnotic. She captivated him as no other woman had. It confused him.

 

“Well gentlemen, it’s getting late and I have a concert tomorrow so… I will bid you goodnight.”

 

They stood. “May I escort you back to your room Jennifer?” asked Kid.

 

“Thank-you Thaddeus. That’s very kind of you.” Her smile washed over him. He felt his heart skip a beat.

 

00000

 

 

They had set up for the concert and all they had to do now was sit back and watch the

rehearsal with the rest of the crew. Scott sat down next to them. “On the day of the concert, she likes the road crew to be her warm-up audience. I know you’ll enjoy it.

Her repertoire is quite varied, something for everyone.”

 

They sat back ready to enjoy. Jennifer sat down at the piano. “All right, let’s warm-up,” she began.

 

Kid and Heyes were quite unprepared for the first number. The harmonies were beautiful but it was the song that had them sitting forward and gripping the edge of their seats. The song spoke of a mother’s death! The color had drained from both of their faces.

 

Scott saw this, “Are you alright?”

 

They both just nodded. Maybe this wasn’t going to be so enjoyable after all. The next number was not as painful for the two men. They understood about fishing in a mountain stream. Next came a love song. Heyes and Kid had to agree, the music was quite varied. They were beginning to see the appeal she had with her audience. They had listened to quite a few songs when Scott leaned over and explained that she had written several of them.

 

“But they seem so sad!” Kid exclaimed.

 

“She’s written them from her heart and her life. Most people know her story. In fact,

her last tour was the story of her tragedy.”

 

“Tragedy?” they said in unison.

 

“Yes, I thought everyone knew. About four years ago, she lost her husband and young child during a smallpox epidemic. She has always felt guilty that she was away giving a concert when her daughter first fell ill. But there was nothing she could have done.”

 

“She was married?” Heyes interrupted.

 

“And had a child?” Curry interjected.

 

“Yes, in fact her loss was what prompted her to give her time and money to orphanages.”

 

They listened as Jennifer poured out her story in song. “How can she sing about it night after night?” Kid wanted to know.

 

“She couldn’t for a long time; she took almost two years off. When she came back, she had written a whole concert full of songs. It was her most successful tour yet. Most everyone could identify with it in some way. She did a lot of good with those songs and it was healing for her as well.”

 

She was almost done now. They listened hard but couldn’t understand what she was

singing. Scott laughed behind his hand at the look on their faces. “It’s Italian,” he said.

 

“Oh,” was their response.

 

“It’s actually one of her most requested songs.”

 

“It’s beautiful,” said Kid. “What does it mean?”

 

“She is singing about going to sea with her love. Experiencing the journey with him. She dreams of him when they are apart. He is the sun and the moon. She is nothing without him.”

 

The men sat there, each lost in his own thoughts. Heyes looked over at his partner. “Uh oh!” he thought. Kid had that knight in shining armor look on his face. That always meant trouble.