Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,185
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,543

The Secret Garden

Summary:

The boys go back to school
Pairing: Starsky/Hutch
Disclaimer: Not mine, just for fun and sharing
Notes: This is in response to CC's Challenge #3. No, I didn't forget #2, it's coming. In a backhand way, I did mention medicine. I have no idea where the title came from, but I've always liked it.
Feedback: Absolutely, let's talk
Critique: Again absolutely, it helps
Category: Committed Relationship

Work Text:

The Secret Garden
by mah

Hutch had started out giving all his attention to the woman at the head of the class, making notes as she talked, trying to get down all the pertinent points and chemical substitutes.

But he had gradually shifted his attention to Starsky, watching him try to show some enthusiasm and interest in the topic. When the instructress began the long list of vegetables that could be grown in a small city garden, Hutch could hardly contain himself as Starsky blanched, grimaced and groaned at the mention of cabbage, kale, brussel sprouts and eggplant, to name a few. At the mention of cherry tomatoes, Starsky was grinning ear to ear, the obvious sexy comment trying to get out.

After taking the plunge and buying a house together, and the first few months of settling in had passed, they had turned their attention to their respective areas of interest and how and when to spend their sparse dollars.

They had started out enthusiastic and encouraged at the details each had thought out, but the whole thing had slowly deteriorated into argument when it came to what came first. It had finally been resolved by their age-old solution to everything-the flip of a coin, which Starsky had won.

Last month Hutch had endured several hours of heavy technical talk as Starsk carefully evaluated a whole store full of toys...er tools: skill saws vs jigsaws; electric drills vs ratchet sets; pressure gadgets and socket wrenches and wheel ramps. The garage was turned into the equivalent of a handyman's dream, and the cost almost blew his mind. But a deal was a deal.

This month Starsky had been forced to reciprocate, leaving his toys at home and accompanying Hutch to this all day Saturday seminar on "Small City Vegetable Gardens", and, "Maintaining Your Garden Naturally".

At the lunch break they compared notes, or, at least Hutch pontificated on all the great prospects for their small piece of property and the rewards they would harvest.

"But Hutch, look at these things," Starsky said, leafing through the illustrated handout, "even looking at them makes me gag. And they're all green, only the tomatoes are red. This one looks like an upside-down green ping-pong-ball tree, and I won't even mention in public what these two look like. And all those vines twisting and curling around everything. We'll be taken over by killer plants in no time. I don't know partner. I'm gonna have nightmares over some of these babies."

"Well, if you do Starsk, just hold onto me. I'll protect you." Replied Hutch between bursts of laughter as Starsky went on and on. "But just think of the fresh, homemade spaghetti and salsa sauce we can make, and the tempting salads made right from our garden, and the tacos and enchiladas made to order. We can just go out to the garden and pick whatever we feel like having that day and know it's fresh, won't have to worry about spoilage because we couldn't finish what we bought. And, think of how much money we'll save growing our own."

Hutch could see Starsky salivating over his favourites as he named them. The battle was won.

Returning for the afternoon session, which dealt with the natural alternatives to pesticides in the garden, they were stunned to have their names excitedly roared out and to be swept into the embrace of a women with long flowing hair, a bright cheery smile, and wearing the most colourful, yet fitting, costume.

Starsky recovered first, stuttering out "Madame Yram?"

"You remembered, you handsome hunk. I knew we were meant to be together sooner or later." Madame Yram chuckled.

And Hutch remembered the exotic, dippy Madame Yram who had become enamoured of Starsky all those years ago. He gave her a genuine hug and smile of greeting. "How are you Madame Yram?"

"Oh, not Madame Yram anymore, I gave that up and returned to my true name, Mary Polanski, when I found my real calling."

"And what would that be?" asked Hutch.

"I'm into Mother Nature now, and all the wonderful natural products that will save our world. I can't tell you how enlightening it was to realize that all the things we have come to depend on are ruining our planet, but there is so much we can do to save it. So many of our plants have powers we don't know about. The very earth has a power that heals. Do you know....."

Hutch could see that she was prepared to go on and on in her usual enthusiastic manner, but a summons from the front of the room drew her away. Hutch exchanged an almost thankful grin with Starsky.

They were even more surprised when Mary was introduced as the instructor for the second part of the program, and both had visions of extended, erratic, going nowhere spurts of information. What they got was an enthusiastic, dedicated, knowledgeable and well documented lecture on using natural products and resources. Hutch, in particular, was overwhelmed with the amount of information he was lacking, and was carried away in his own enthusiasm.

He was rapidly making notes on herbicides, insecticides and fungicides when Starsky nudged his elbow and pointed out the stack of books for sale on a table at the front of the room. He gave a somewhat embarrassed grin and promptly dropped his pen and paid attention to Mary.

Mary switched topics (kind of) and began explaining how the vegetables they grew could also be used as medicines. Hutch perked up again with passionate interest.

Artichoke was used for liver and bladder problems; cabbage juice for stomach ache etc.; garlic for high blood pressure; horseradish for bronchitis. The list went on and on, and another book was added to his purchase list. This was phenomenal. His fingers itched to get back home and start their garden. Starsky was trying to stay awake.

After a relatively short time, the lecture was over. Hutch couldn't believe three hours had passed so quickly as he nudged Starsky awake. Without undue prompting, Mary readily agreed to have dinner with them and they spent an enjoyable evening reminiscing and making each other laugh. They hadn't felt so good in a long time, especially after Mary made it clear she knew exactly who was with whom and they could relax even more.

As Mary still lived in the city, but had a busy lecture schedule, they promised to keep in touch and get together soon. Starsky teased that Hutch was going to need all the help he could get if he was going to produce homemade spaghetti sauce. Mary promised some of her own gourmet sauce if the Hutchinson garden failed in its promise.

Once they were home, even though it was after midnight, Hutch immediately immersed himself in his new reading material. Starsky sighed heavily, resigned to his fate, kissed the top of the engrossed golden head, and rolled over into almost immediate sleep.

 

end