Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 51 of Of Innocence and Empathy
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
557
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
1,504

Of Innocence & Empathy - Protecting Empathy

Summary:

Beta: Nilandia
Series: Of Innocence & Empathy
Rating: FRT-13
Disclaimer: I don't own them. Damnit.

Work Text:

 

 

Of Innocence & Empathy - Protecting Empathy
by Frogg


Stilted conversation ground to a halt as the door to the garage opened, Jack toddling in and turning to watch as Haley slipped through, juggling several bags.

"You're home early," Aaron said unnecessarily.

Haley shrugged. "Debra and I got in an argument, and I didn't really think it wise to stay." Shooing Jack into the kitchen, she set the bags down and came closer. "Am I interrupting anything?" She frowned at Derek. "I mean, you're welcome to come over, you know that, but--"

"Nah, it's all good."

"Unca Mohgan!"

Derek flinched at Jack's surprised, gleeful outburst. "Just needed some space." The clenching of his jaw betrayed the truth.

"Unca Mohgan?"

Unable to hide a smile, Derek slid off the stool and stepped to the end of the counter. "Over here, little man." There was too much pain in his voice to be entirely masked by warmth.

"Hugs?" Jack held out his arms, chubby legs churning as he closed the distance.

Derek bent down and swept Jack up in his arms, tucking the toddler securely against his shoulder. "Hugs, my man, lots and lots of hugs." He kissed Jack just above one ear, wispy blond hair clinging briefly to his lips.

Haley shook her head in sad amazement, sharing a brief glance of understanding with her husband. A small smile crossed her lips as she saw the cellphone in Aaron's hand, pointed at Derek and Jack.

The aire of torment and muted anger Derek had been radiating slowly subsided, swept away by tiny arms wrapped around his neck and the loud, smacking "Mmmwa!" of a sloppy kiss to his cheek.

"If you'll excuse me," Aaron said, quietly so as not to disturb, "I need to call JJ." 'Keep an eye on him,' his eyes asked.

Haley nodded, her hand covering Aaron's on her shoulder in solidarity.

Aaron cast one last concerned look at Derek before leaving the room, footsteps silent on the carpet and linoleum.

Crossing the kitchen to pour herself a cup of coffee, Haley watched silently as Derek carried her son to the family room, settling on the couch.

JJ was more right than she knew, she thought to herself. As much as she wanted to find out what was going on, Derek was more important, and there was no mistaking how badly he needed Jack's company. Too many times Derek had offered - had begged, Haley's conscience whispered - to watch Jack after a rough case for her to interrupt now.

Quiet murmurs drifted into the kitchen, a story meant for Jack's ears and Derek's bleeding heart.

Haley leaned over the counter, mug clutched in both hands, wondering, listening to sleepy, childish giggles and deep laughter. It never ceased to amaze her - amaze anyone, really - how close Derek got to any child in his sphere of influence, how much power children had over Derek's emotional state.

Not for the first time, she was confronted by the differences between Aaron and Derek, and suppressed the idle wish that Aaron be just a little more...

It didn't matter.

As long as she could get Aaron to agree, it wouldn't matter.

And even if he didn't, she knew better to think that Derek Morgan would ever turn his back on a child.

Now if she could only get him to realize that...

~~~the end~~~

Series this work belongs to: