Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
301
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,134

Signs of Respect

Summary:

Characters: Alan, Will
Rating:
PG, FRK+
Summary:
Alan has a complaint.
Series: "Watsonverse" (Fic index, chronology, summaries)
Disclaimer: Not my characters (unless they are), not my world, making no money.
Feedback:
Yes, please! Feed the author!
A/N: Thanks to my beta.

Work Text:

 

Signs of Respect
by Irena Adler

"Will?" Alan said, heading towards the kitchen.

Will didn't look up, continuing to study the chessboard. "Yes, sir?"

"Do you-" Alan sighed. "Dammit, Will, why do you always call me `sir'?"

"Sign of respect," Will said distractedly.

"It's a sign of being old," Alan complained then finished his earlier sentence, "Do you want a drink?"

"Some lemonade would be nice."

Alan went into the kitchen and poured two glasses of fresh lemonade. He returned, setting one glass near Will, and sat down across from him.

Frowning, Alan sipped his lemonade. "Have long have you known me?"

"Uh," Will said, pausing in reaching for his drink. "A while."

"And this `sir' thing, does it go away with time?"

Will smiled. "No, sir."

"Humph," Alan said. "When I was young, `sir' meant `The Man' and it was definitely not a sign of respect."

Will gave a startled chuckle. "I forget that you're a child of the 60s."

"Do you still call your father `sir'?"

"Yes," Will said warily, as he always became when his family was mentioned.

Alan hesitated then decided to forge ahead. "Will, your father is a fine man and worthy of respect, but I would like to think that - while I hope I'm worthy of respect too - that maybe our relationship could be closer than the one you have with your father. More like the one I have with my own sons. For me, the `sir' feels like a distancing thing. Do you think ... do you think maybe you could call me `Dad'?"

Will blinked and his eyes filled with sudden moisture. "Maybe ... maybe `Alan'?"

Alan smiled. "`Alan' is good. I can live with `Alan.'"

"Good," Will said huskily then looked down at the chessboard, visibly composing himself. After a minute, he said, "Alan?"

"Yes?"

"Checkmate."

end