Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2004-08-12
Words:
23,516
Chapters:
2/2
Kudos:
28
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
2,860

Presures of Love 3 - What Has Passed for Love

Summary:

*Sequel to "Patterns"
Crane/Nelson

Chapter 1: Chapter 1-8

Chapter Text

Presures of Love 3 - What Has Passed for Love
by S

 

"Admiral Nelson, I understand that what I just told you must come as a huge shock, but we need your help in locating Commander Crane." The detective stopped. The man he was talking with had turned deathly white and had an almost glazed look in his blue eyes. "Admiral Nelson, are you all right?"

Nelson said nothing. The whole world seemed to have closed in when the lieutenant had mentioned that Lee was the suspect in Doris Farrell's murder.

"Admiral, take a sip of this." Almost automatically the 4-star officer took a sip of the fiery liquor held to his lips. As it coursed through his chilled body, he felt himself become aware of his surroundings and the man who stood there looking so worried. "Are you all right now, sir?"

Nelson nodded and then took a deep breath. "I'm sorry. Your news was a shock."

Lieutenant Turner smiled sympathetically. "I understand, sir. I. . .We, the whole nation knows of the work you and Commander Crane have done with SEAVIEW. I was stunned when I was given the report by the officer who found Commander Crane with Mrs. Farrell."

"Crane wouldn't. . .couldn't have done such a thing. He's one of the finest men I've ever worked with," he protested.

"Admiral, I've no doubt that he is all that you say, but any man has a breaking point. As soon as I received the news, I immediately did a background search. Mrs. Farrell's son was once part of your crew, was he not?"

"Yes. He was killed while on a mission."

"That must have been difficult for Mrs. Farrell. She lost her husband during WWII and now to lose her son in peacetime. . . ."

"I'm afraid I cannot give you any information about Seaman Farrell's death. That whole mission was classified."

For the first time the smile disappeared from the detective's face. "Classified? Does that mean Mrs. Farrell didn't know how her son died either?"

Nelson took out a cigarette and lit it. "I. . .officially she was only notified that he had died in the service of his country." Harri did not like prevaricating, but knew that the President did not want the details made public about the rescue of President Fuentes.

"And unofficially?"

"I'm not sure."

"What is it that you're not sure of?"

"I was told that a crew member sent her a letter, informing her of the circumstances."

"A crew member? And is that possible?"

"Possible but not likely. Our crew is very. . .loyal."

"Still if someone knew what happened and it troubled his conscience, he might want Farrell's mother to know as well."

The redhead nodded.

"So am I correct in assuming that whatever happened, Captain Crane is someway involved?"

Reluctantly, Nelson nodded again.

"Very well. One last question and I'll let you pursue your work. Do you know if Captain Crane has had any contact with Mrs. Farrell since her son's death? Other than last night of course."

Nelson bit his lip. He knew what Turner would make of the letter she had sent Lee. "Commander Crane told me he had received a letter from her, a letter stating that she wanted an investigation into her son's death and that she considered him responsible for what happened."

The detective's eyes narrowed. "I would say that might make a reasonable motive for murder, wouldn't you?"

"No! Lee wouldn't kill!"

"Come now, Admiral, are you telling me that Commander Crane has never killed?"

"Of course not. He's done so in defense of his ship, crew and this country."

"Very commendable but then he would hate to lose that ship, wouldn't he? Didn't I read something not long ago about there being an investigation because of Crane's questionable activities? I can see that he would be most determined not to take anymore chances."

"He didn't do it!" The scientist rose to his feet, hair aflame with anger.

"Maybe not but you won't mind if I do my own investigation, will you? You may be a Nobel Prize winner, but when it comes to murder, even Harriman Nelson's word isn't good enough. Thank you so much for talking with me, sir. I'll be sure to keep in touch. I know you'll be interested to know when we capture your captain."

Smirking with arrogance, the man walked out the office door.

 

Part 2

The door had no more closed on the detective than the phone rang. Fearing it might be a reporter, Nelson hesitated to pick it up, but then realized that Angie would never put through a call like that without checking with him first.

To his relief it was Will Jamieson. The quiet CMO informed his boss that Chip Morton would like to see him at the infirmary since the blond Exec was naturally quite concerned about Crane. Nelson indicated that he would be right there. He, too, wanted to talk to Morton to find out just what had been going on in his absence.

The man, who walked into the NIMR Infirmary, certainly seemed nothing like the dynamic scientist Jamie and Morton were used to. His slumped shoulders spoke of his fear and confusion over the status of the man he loved. Still, he tried to smile when he saw the white face of the Exec. It was obvious that Chip had been hit hard by the accusations too.

"Chip, how are you doing?"

"I'm fine. Will you tell Jamie to let me out of here? I can't find Lee if I'm laid up in bed!"

"Chip, in case you have forgotten, you broke your leg. I doubt if hobbling around will help the Skipper much," the doctor reminded him.

"But somebody has to do something! He's out there with no one to care!"

Nelson's blue eyes flickered in pain. "I care, Chip."

"Sorry, sir. I. . .I shouldn't have said that. It's just that I feel so. . .useless. This wouldn't have happened if he'd gone along on the mission instead of nursemaiding me!"

"Easy, Chip. You know our Captain. He felt he needed to be here and with the state he was in, I think it would have been a mistake for him to go," Jamieson remarked.

"Jamie, how. . .was he after I left? We were on radio silence for most of the voyage, but when I did talk to him, he sounded fine."

"He was fine, for the most part. The Skipper spent a great deal of time with my patient here, trying to keep him sane. Do you know Mr. Morton is not the most congenial of patients?" The bland look on the older man's face fooled no one. Chip's condition had been serious. "When he did have things to do, Denise would come in and stay with Chip. I think she taught him how to knit." Since one of Chip's arms was in a cast that did not seem likely, but it did bring a touch of color to the Exec's face.

Morton's cerulean eyes closed for a second and then opened to stare straight into Nelson's. "I'd have never made it without them, sir. The pain was bad enough, but I. . .freaked out. I kept having this image of me crippled and not being able to go back to SEAVIEW. I made life hell for both of them."

Jamie gently touched Morton on one arm. "You weren't quite that bad, Chip, but it was easy to see how scared you were. Fortunately, most of the breaks and internal injuries are healing well. It may be awhile before you are up to giving orders to the crew, but you'll get there."

"I know and that's thanks to the doctors who took care of me at the hospital and you, but I owe Lee and Denise a debt I can't repay. That's why I have to know what happened last night. Before he left, Lee said he had to meet someone. I never dreamed it was Mrs. Farrell."

"Have either of you heard from a police officer named Lt. Turner? He was waiting for me when SEAVIEW docked. He seems. . .positive that Lee did kill that unfortunate woman."

"But why?"

"He said something about her being a threat or something like that." The redhead rubbed one hand through his hair. "Lee admitted to me that she had sent him a letter about a possible investigation into her son's death."

"What? But Lee wasn't responsible!" In his excitement, Chip's voice carried into the corridor.

Just then the door opened and a blonde head peeked in. Chip smiled. "Denise, come in. Admiral Nelson's back as you can see."

"Miss Holden, I want to thank you for using a whip and a chair on my Exec."

The young woman grinned. "It was my pleasure, but I think Commander Crane did most of the whipping. I just held his hand."

"She's an excellent hand holder," Morton assured them.

"Thank you, kind sir, but there's something you should all know. I heard what Chip said about Lee. . .Commander Crane and Mrs. Farrell's son. Of course, I don't know all the particulars, but I think there was more to it than what happened in that prison."

"What do you mean, Denise?"

She bit one lip. "Perhaps, I should have mentioned this before, but I like Lee and well, I really wasn't supposed to be listening."

Nelson damped down his rising impatience and remarked, "Please, just tell us what you know. We need to know everything if we're going to help Lee."

Denise nodded. "One day Lee and I were sitting at the hospital talking. Chip still hadn't really awakened yet and Lee seemed to need to talk about his friendship with Chip so I listened. Then he went out to find some coffee and he was accosted by a woman just outside the door of the room. I could hear almost every word.

"She said she was Mrs. Farrell. Of course that name meant nothing to me, but I could hear the concern in Lee's voice so I continued to listen. She accused him of covering up the truth about her son's death and that she intended to find justice by contacting some important people."

"Is that all?"

Reluctantly, the blonde woman shook her head. "She also accused him of sending her threats by mail. She said that nothing would stop her from getting to the truth."

"Threats? What kind of threats?"

"I'm not sure, but she must have shown Lee a copy because he denied writing it. It wasn't long after that he came in with my coffee."

The three men of SEAVIEW looked at each other. The thought of Lee Crane sending threats to a vulnerable old woman was ludicrous, but all knew what the police might make out of such a note if it existed. "Lee, didn't keep the note, did he?"

"I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine she'd let him, considering it was her proof."

Jamieson shook his head. "You're right. I'm just not thinking. This has thrown me for a loop."

"It's thrown all of us for a loop, Jamie, and just think how much worse it is for Lee! He must not even be sure who he can trust!" Nelson remarked.

"How can you say that? Lee knows he can trust us!" Chip almost jumped out the bed.

"Then why hasn't he tried to contact us--in any way?"

No one in the room wanted to contemplate the answer to that question.

 

Part 3

Anyone looking at the tall lean figure as he moved hurriedly through the alleys of Santa Barbara would never have been recognized him as the Captain of SEAVIEW. The 5 o'clock shadow of the night before had now developed into prominent stubble, the clothes he had picked up cheap at a thrift store early that morning and most of all, the hunted look in his eyes completed his transformation.

Shadows for hiding were few and far between that morning. The brightness of the Santa Barbara sunlight seemed to focus on the man like a spotlight. Any minute Crane expected to hear the sound of sirens and the command to halt. Heart beating at a thunderous pace, the young man wanted to run, to find some place where he could be safe, but at that moment there didn't seem to be anywhere he could go.

As soon as he had fled the murder scene, he had taken the chance to stop by his apartment to collect a change of clothing and some money, but now that sanctuary would only be a trap. The police would obviously have it staked out as well as the NIMR complex.

Just the thought of the Institute sent shivers down the straight back. He knew that Nelson and SEAVIEW were due in today. By now, Harri would know about Mrs. Farrell, would know that his lover had been found in the same room with the woman's blood on him. The shivers became shudders, even in the heat of the day. He wanted so much to see Harri to tell him. . .to tell him what? He remembered going to see Doris Farrell and the policeman showing up, but what had happened in between?

Just yesterday he had had free access to the Institute. In fact, he had spent much of the day at his office there, doing paperwork and handling some of the items that Nelson normally would have taken care of. Since the two men had become lovers, Harri had insisted that Lee should take over some of the work that pertained to SEAVIEW while he concentrated on the seemingly endless paperwork that dealt with the labs and his worldwide projects. It had suited Lee to a tee. Unlike many sub drivers, every aspect of his gray lady fascinated him.

The day-to-day routine had played an important part in his recovery from the accident and Mrs. Farrell's accusations. For two weeks the Skipper had worried that Mrs. Farrell would carry out her threat to have the whole ugly scene investigated. Lee could certainly understand her pain, but why she had accused him of making threats against her bewildered him. As a result, he had spent most of his time either at NIMR or at the infirmary with Chip. He didn't want to think about what might happen to his career if some board of investigation felt that he hadn't lived up to his responsibilities as Captain.

Last evening, as usual, he had shown up at the infirmary to see Morton. Now that his best friend was feeling more like himself, Lee would bring in takeaway so that the Exec wouldn't have to complain about the infirmary food. Jamie had already threatened to use his biggest hypo on the blond, the next time he turned green when food was served.

The two men had talked about Chip's therapy, the notes the Exec had received from former classmates, and of course Nelson. Since Morton was in the know about the intimate relationship between Crane and Nelson, he was one of the few people that Lee could talk freely with. Chip had repeatedly reassured the dark-haired man that Nelson understood why Lee had not gone along on the mission. Still, Crane had his doubts-- doubts that wouldn't be settled until his beloved Harri was back and could put his strong arms around him.

Towards the end of Lee's visit, Denise Holden had shown up with coffee and cake that she had made. All three of them had consumed the carrot cake with pleasure. Chip had even taken a finger full of the cream cheese frosting from Lee's piece while Denise had laughed heartily at the blob of icing that Lee deposited on Chip's nose in retaliation.

Not long after, Will Jamieson had turned up to say that his patient needed his sleep so the two visitors left. Lee had offered Denise a ride home, but she said that she had brought her own car so the Skipper had headed for the rental car he was using until he decided on what type of new car to buy. Just as he had reached the car, he remembered that he had left a folder on his desk which he definitely wanted to go through once more before Nelson's return. At a run, he hurried back to his office and found the folder. It was then that the phone had rung.

A hysterical Doris Farrell was on the other end. Barely coherent, she begged him to come to her house. Then the line had cut off. From that moment on, things became hazy in the young man's mind. He knew he had driven to the address she had given him on the phone and entered the house through the open door. After that, his next memory was the strong grasp of a policeman's hand on his arm.

The lawman had asked, demanded who he was, what he was doing there. Lee could only focus on the pathetically small body of Doris Farrell. The smell of blood filled his nostrils until he thought he would throw up.

When the policeman had started to put handcuffs on him, he had instinctively reacted, nailing the man with his right hook before fleeing from the scene.

Lost in his thoughts, Lee suddenly realized he had walked quite a distance. In fact, he was not far from NIMR itself. A need stronger than fear filled him. With all of his old determination, he followed the road that would lead him towards the one true place he could call home. Finally, when he could see the gates of NIMR in the distance, he stopped and started to head up the old track that would lead to the hill that framed part of the rocky complex. There was one certain spot he was seeking.

By the time he reached his favorite overlook, he was puffing gently. Little sleep or food had taxed his endurance. Still, the climb had been worth it for there in the distance was his beautiful gray lady. SEAVIEW was home and that must mean Harriman Nelson was too. Now, he only had to find a way to contact him without putting them both in jeopardy.

 

Part 4

"Chip, are you alright? I thought you'd be asleep by now." Chip opened his eyes. He had hoped that Jamieson would believe that he was sleeping, but Vlad knew the blond Exec too well.

"I'm worried about Lee and the Admiral. Did you see the look in Nelson's eyes when we were talking? Damn, if only I could get up and go look for Lee!" Chip scrunched the sheet in his good hand.

Gently, Jamie took hold of Chip's wrist to check the pulse rate. "I only know one thing, mister. You need to calm down. It's not going to do Lee any good if your blood pressure goes out of sight."

Chip's fidgeting subsided then his disturbed blue eyes looked into Jamieson's brown ones. "The Admiral will find him, won't he?"

"I'd bet my pension on it. You know our Admiral. Nothing stops him when it's something he cares about-and there's no one he cares more about than the Skipper."

For a second Morton's face reddened. "They're close. . .friends," he admitted.

"Chip, I know what it is to keep a secret. I have a feeling those two men are more than friends."

"Jamie, I. . .I am tired now. Will you wake me up if there's any news?"

"Sure. You go to sleep. Another week or so and we'll have to think about finding you someplace to stay outside the infirmary. Maybe. . .Denise would be willing to stay with you."

Sleepily, the blond shook his head. "She's. . .she's got life. . .own. Stay here."

The doctor almost smiled. "I thought you hated the food here?"

"H-hate food, tr-trust you." Soft snores followed.

Jamieson stood there stunned. Lee and Chip had started calling him Vlad several years before because of his sharp needles and his insistence on their staying in sickbay despite their desire to return to duty even though he hadn't given them a clean bill of health. But none of that mattered since Chip Morton had just admitted that he preferred Jamieson's care to that of a lovely young woman.

Back at his office, Harriman Nelson tried to go through the papers on his desk, but nothing written on them seemed to register. If only he could talk to Lee, could find out first hand what had happened, but he knew that the whole complex was under surveillance. Lee would never take a chance on trying to contact him there nor was it likely that he would go back to his own apartment or the beach house. There just seemed to be no way for his lover to slip past Lt. Turner's vigilance.

Suddenly, the intercom buzzed. "Admiral, the delivery man is here," Angie announced.

"Delivery man?"

"Don't you remember? You ordered a late meal to be sent over-a Marcelino's Special, I think."

Harri's flagging attention caught on those magic words. "Oh, of course. How could I forget? Ask the deliveryman to bring it in, will you?"

For one moment, the scientist almost believed that the deliveryman would be Lee himself, but then he realized that he wasn't thinking clearly. The guards at the gate would instantly recognize SEAVIEW's Captain. Instead, the man was one of their favorite waiters from Marcelino's.

"Admiral Nelson, here's your food. We haven't seen you in a long time. I hope you enjoy it."

"Uh, I'm sure I will. Just let me get my wallet."

"No need, sir. It's paid for. By the way, we've changed our menu slightly so perhaps you'll want to check out the new one I enclosed?"

"What? Oh, thank you very much. I'll take a look at it. I'll try to stop by the restaurant soon."

"Very good, sir. You know that Captain Crane and yourself are our favorite customers." The man gave him a beaming smile and then left.

Eagerly, Nelson ripped open the bag containing the aluminum dishes with the food. Even though he was hungry, he ignored everything but the menu. Even perusing it carefully, he almost missed the two carefully circled words: 11:30 and Osso Bucco. The time was obvious, but he couldn't imagine what the other might mean other than it was one of Lee's favorite dishes. Glancing at his watch, the red-haired man was startled to find that it was already 2030 hours. Osso Bucco? The last time the two men had shared that dish, Lee had prepared it at home. He had even boasted about going to a small Italian butcher who cut the shanks right before his eyes. Could that be where he was to meet him? Hurriedly, the flag officer took out a telephone directory, searched through the yellow pages and found the name he was looking for. It was in an old part of town and would take some time to reach.

Departing the complex in a sedate manner, the Admiral was very careful to make sure that no one was tailing him. He knew that he would eventually have to persuade Lee to give himself up, but right then he needed to reassure himself that Lee was alright and find out what had happened the night before.

The night before. How could so much have happened in twenty-four hours? Harri chided himself for his rambling thoughts. He had to be very careful. If the police were able to follow him, then he might never have the chance to talk with Lee privately.

Driving along the dark streets, Nelson felt his stomach clenching in anticipation. He hadn't seen his lover in two weeks. He had hoped to come back to a recovered Lee Crane so that they could renew the love that had kept them together. Now this hung over both their heads.

Finally, the officer pulled up and stopped about a block from his destination. He would walk the rest of the way. Getting out, he locked the car and started off. The dim street lamps gave little illumination and the echo of his shoes made an eerie sound, but he kept going until he passed an alley opening. Suddenly, he was roughly grabbed and pulled into the alley. A voice whispered in his ear, "Lookin' for a good time, sailor?"

Harriman Nelson would have known that voice anywhere. Tremulously, he replied, "Depends on what you have in mind."

"Lots of things, but I'm expensive."

Harri grinned. This was one of their favorite "games". "Bet you're worth it though," he replied.

It was then that the game changed. Lee's hands dropped from the other man's shoulders and he backed away. In the glow of one overhead light, Nelson could see the man he thought he would have known anywhere, but this was almost a stranger. Too large clothes hung on his slender frame and his usually immaculate face was covered in the beginnings of a beard. "I'm not worth it, Harri. I should never have contacted you, but I needed to see you one more time."

"Lee, I'm glad you did. I've already arranged for a lawyer to handle your case. He'll get at the truth."

"No! I don't want a lawyer. I'm leaving town just as soon as . . .as you go back to the penthouse."

"Lee, no! You have to give yourself up. I understand that you were. . .confused, but now you have to tell your story. We'll get this cleared up and then you'll be back where you belong!"

Crane rubbed one grimy hand across his face. "Harri, I. . .don't you see I can't give myself up. My memories are sketchy, but I think I remember having my hands around her neck. Harri, I think it's possible I. . .I killed her."

 

Part 5

"Lee," Nelson grasped his lover's arms tightly as if he could imbue his own strength in the vulnerable man, "I absolutely refuse to believe that you harmed Mrs. Farrell in any way. You're tired and confused. Please come back to the Infirmary with me. Let Jamie look you over and then I'll go with you to the police."

"Harri, I can't. Don't you see? I. . .I hope you're right about my innocence, but if I have to face a trial then the truth about our relationship is likely to come out. You must see what that would do to your reputation."

"Lee, if it helps you, I'm more than willing to tell everyone about how much I love you and let the chips fall where they may."

Crane's breath caught in his throat. "You. . .you can't do that." Lee rubbed one hand over his stubbled jaw. "Lord, I'm so tired. I just want to go to sleep and find this has been a nightmare."

Nelson started to pull the young man in a close embrace when a spotlight focused on the two of them. Blinded by the luminescence, the two men jumped apart as a voice boomed out over a bullhorn: "This is Lt. Turner. Captain Crane, raise your hands so that I can see them. Admiral Nelson, please step away from the Commander."

A horrified Lee Crane glanced over at the red-haired man. "You led them here!"

Not thinking, the Admiral reached out to his lover. "Lee, no!"

Instinctively, Lee jerked away from the man who had seemingly betrayed him. In that moment, one shot rang out striking the dark- haired man in the chest. Without a word, but with a tormented look at the scientist, Crane collapsed on the dirty street. For one instant all was silence until chaos broke loose. Turner and the other policemen rushed forward to find Nelson on his knees trying to staunch the blood pouring from Lee's chest.

Over his shoulder, Turner yelled, "Get an ambulance now!" Then he moved closer to Nelson, "Admiral, I. . .I didn't order that shot. How is he?"

Nelson looked up at the policeman as the blood bubbled through his fingers. "I. . .I, there's so much blood. We've got to get him to a hospital."

"I've put in a call for an ambulance. They'll be here soon. Here take this." Turner handed over a clean handkerchief to help stop the blood. Even in the dim light, he could see the white face of the man lying in the street. It didn't look good.

"Why didn't you give him a chance to give up? I could have talked him into it!" Anger had replaced shock in Nelson's voice.

"You should have told us where to find him!" Turner reacted defensively. He had never intended for SEAVIEW's Captain to be shot down this way. He would have the head of whichever trigger-happy cop had done this.

Nelson ignored him. His whole heart and mind was focused on one thing-making sure that Lee Crane didn't leave him forever.

Ten minutes later Nelson and Turner were in the ambulance with Crane. It was a tight fit since there were also two paramedics who were trying to keep the officer alive. Nelson had absolutely refused to leave Crane so Turner had given in after saying that he had to go along too.

The Admiral had growled at the policeman, "Do you really think he's in any condition to escape?"

Turner had flinched, but he knew that the Commissioner wouldn't appreciate it if he gave Nelson or Crane any preferential treatment.

The ambulance made a rapid trip to the hospital where Lee was taken to the Emergency room. Forced to stay outside in the waiting room, Nelson paced back and forth until Lt. Turner asked him to take a seat as he wished to ask a few questions.

The red-haired man sank into one chair. He didn't want to talk to this man, but knew it was inevitable. Being obstreperous would not help Lee. "What is it you want to ask me?"

"Did Commander Crane tell you why he killed Mrs. Farrell?"

"Lee didn't kill her," the scientist murmured.

"Did he tell you that?"

"He. . .he said he couldn't remember exactly what happened."

"How convenient!"

Nelson took to his feet, moving closer to the odious man. "Lt. Turner, you may believe that Lee is guilty, but nothing will ever make me believe that. Now, if you don't mind, I need to make a call."

"Good idea. He needs a lawyer!"

The Admiral twisted around, his eyes blazing with anger. "I am not calling a lawyer. I want the Institute's Chief Medical Officer here to look at Crane. I want him to have the best care."

"I don't think you have to worry. The doctors here do good work, even in the security area."

"Security area?"

"Surely you realize that as soon as possible, Captain Crane will be removed to a part of the hospital where he will be in police custody?"

"You mean the same police who shot down an unarmed man?"

Turner flushed. "I. . .that was unintentional. One of my men must have thought he was a danger to you or us when he made that sudden movement! He'll be reprimanded, never fear."

"That won't do Lee much good if he dies!"

"Admiral, the man was a wanted criminal. You should be more concerned with the fact that you might be considered an accessory since you didn't see fit to bring him in."

Nelson started to tremble with anger. He wanted nothing more than to grab the infuriating man and shake him until his teeth rattled, but he took a deep breath and turned away. He had to find a telephone. Jamie would help Lee and right then nothing was more important than saving Lee's life.

Will Jamieson took the call in his private quarters. He had only been in bed for a short time, but the concern in Nelson's voice quickly alerted him to the seriousness of the situation. Dressing quickly, he hurried out to find his car for the short trip to the Santa Barbara Hospital.

Mind focused on what Nelson had told him about the injury, Jamie could only hope that Lee Crane would once again defeat the odds as he had done so many times before. The doctor was very fond of the Captain, but he knew that there were two men who would be devastated by the loss of that young man, not to mention what it would do to SEAVIEW's crew.

 

Part 6

Jamieson tried to focus on what needed to be done as soon as he arrived at the hospital. Fortunately, he had a good working relationship with the doctors, surgeons, and nursing staff at the Santa Barbara Hospital due to the many times SEAVIEW's men had been sent there because of serious injuries. In fact the three members of the command staff practically had their own rooms in the facility, particularly a certain Lee Crane. Harriman Nelson almost always preferred to call Jamieson in, even as just a consultant, when either Crane or Morton was injured. Although he had never done so, Jamie was more than prepared to volunteer his services if ever Nelson decided to give the CMO a break from being "on call." Not that he felt he was a better doctor than any of those on the staff, but like Crane, Morton, and Nelson, he was a hands-on type of man. He knew them all so well and in some way he felt that empathy might just make the difference, especially empathy for a certain Exec.

The dark-haired doctor couldn't count how many times he had been the one to talk with Chip Morton, to give him some kind of hope when Lee Crane had been injured. In the days after the sabotage incident both Nelson and Morton had hovered around sickbay until reassured that Crane would indeed recover without physical repercussions. It was then that Jamieson had seen what lay in Chip's heart-the love he felt for his best friend and yet when it had become apparent that it was Nelson that Crane loved, he had generously given the two men the support their relationship needed.

Since that time, some of the pain had left the blond's blue eyes, but Jamie wasn't sure he liked the way Chip had chosen to find some peace. Delores and Denise were only two of the string of women that Morton elected to take out and sometimes bed. Of course, he had always taken care to choose women who were not ready to settle down, that is until he had started to date Denise Holden. Her unsolicited devotion and care of the young man seemed to say that there was more to the relationship than Jamieson had first supposed. As a result, Will Jamieson was worried. He had hoped against hope that one day, Chip might still see what the embarrassed doctor felt was so obvious, but even if it wasn't to be, Jamie wanted Chip to be happy, to find someone that he could love and who would love him in return.

Pulling up into the nearest parking space, Jamie didn't even bother to notice that his car was parked crookedly. Pocketing his keys, he ran inside to find a haggard-looking Harriman Nelson waiting for him. The smile that Nelson gave him in welcome was worth more than his last month's paycheck. It was so apparent that Nelson trusted him to help Lee. Only for one second did he allow a flicker of doubt enter his mind then he put that thought away. He would help Lee as long as it was humanly possible. The last thing he wanted was to face Chip Morton with such a ghastly failure.

"Jamie, I'm so glad you're here. He's up in surgery. They said something about a collapsed lung."

"All right, I'll go see what I can find out. Dr. Shaw is the Chief Surgeon. I'm sure I can find out what's happening from one of his residents. Why don't you sit down and relax as much as you can. He's in good hands."

"How can I relax when he's here?" At first Jamie thought Nelson meant Lee, but then the redhead gestured towards a man standing over to one side with a scowl on his face.

"Admiral, who is that man?"

Jamieson's voice had been low, but the detective still heard him and approached with his ID out for inspection. "I'm Lt. Roger Turner. I am investigating the death of Mrs. Doris Farrell. You are the Chief Medical Officer of SSRN SEAVIEW?"

"Yes, I am, but right now I'm Lee Crane's friend as well as a man who doesn't believe the Skipper killed anyone. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll try to find out more about Lee's condition." Shoulders straight and head held high, the doctor marched off to find out what he needed to know.

"Hmmph, he seems rather headstrong to be in the medical profession," the detective observed.

"As he said, he knows Lee quite well and like me, he knows that Lee Crane did not kill that woman."

Turner's cheeks puffed out for a second as he started to protest, but then he backed off. "You keep saying how well you know him. Isn't that unusual for a Commander and an Admiral to be "close"?

To the officer's supersensitive nerves he could almost hear the sneer in Turner's voice. "I knew him at Annapolis and on the NAUTILUS. When SEAVIEW's original captain was killed, Lee became permanent captain."

"Your first captain was killed? When was this?"

"I'm sure if you'll look in the police department files, you'll find all the particulars. He was murdered by the agents of a foreign power."

"Lucky for Commander Crane, wasn't that? And he just happens to step in to become Captain and your. . .friend."

Fury bubbled up in the stocky man. Could this cretin possibly be suggesting that Lee had something to do with Philips' death? But before Nelson anger could explode, the lieutenant glanced at his watch and announced, "You'll have to excuse me now, I have some people to talk to about this case. I'll have men here to stand guard round the clock so that there will be no possibility that your Captain will be left alone. Such a resourceful man as he is just might find a way to improve much more quickly than the doctors expect."

Nelson gritted his teeth. "I would imagine even Lee Crane might find it difficult to escape with a collapsed lung."

"Escape? Did I mention the word, 'escape'? There is no way for him to escape nor will it be possible for some misguided individual to 'rescue' him. I have this hospital locked up tighter than my mother-in-law's girdle."

"How gratifying, but right now the only thing I care about is that Lee Crane recovers from what one of your trigger-happy men did and then he is proven to be innocent of the murder charge."

Turner smiled. "Ah yes, Admiral, you know I haven't been with the Santa Barbara Police Department too long, but I have heard of your reputation as a dreamer. Strange for a scientist, isn't that?"

"On the contrary, dreams are frequently the beginning of scientific discoveries. In fact, SEAVIEW herself began as a dream and now she is a formidable weapon in our country's defense. I have no doubt that this particular 'dream' will also become true. Now, don't you have people to hassle. . .er, I mean interrogate?" Nelson's lip curled in a mock smile.

Lt. Turner hurried off. Somehow he had lost the upper hand in his little game with Admiral Nelson, but he wasn't too dismayed since once he was able to interrogate the prisoner, he would make sure that Lee Crane's confession wiped the smile off Nelson's arrogant face.

As soon as the offensive man left, the redhead sagged into a chair. He hated this. He hated having petty, crude men even make hints that there was something "special" between him and Lee. Not that he believed that Turner really thought they were involved sexually. Men like Turner were just naturally looking for something to hold against a man. Suspicion was their life's blood.

Blood. Once again Harri looked down at his hands. He had naturally washed them, scrubbed them clean of Lee's blood, but there was nothing he could do about the stains on his cuffs. The blood had been so warm, just like that wonderful body which had given him so much pleasure. But the white-faced man, who had looked at him with such fear and loathing in his eyes as he had made his accusation, "You led them here!" was not his lover. He was a stranger who had actually questioned Nelson's loyalty. A deep shudder ran through the stocky man's body. Could his relationship with Lee survive this distrust? Then the scientist shook his head at his misgivings. Right now, the only thing of importance was Lee's survival-period.

"Admiral?"

The blue-eyed man looked up to see Jamieson standing there. "Jamie, what is it? Lee's all right, isn't he?"

"He's made it through surgery. The lung has been reinflated and a tube has been inserted."

"That's. . .that's good, isn't it?" The need for reassurance in the world famous man was almost pathetic.

"He's alive and that's always good. Still. . . ."

"Still?"

"He's not out of the woods yet and it seems there is a slight mystery."

"Mystery?"

"Lee obviously needed massive amounts of blood. Of course, the medics knew his type so that was administered, but after he arrived here at the hospital, they did a quick check on his blood to rule out any possible "problems" that might prove unpleasant."

Harri rubbed his forehead. "I. . .I don't understand. What are you talking about?"

"The lab hasn't isolated it yet, but there seems to be some sort of drug in Lee's bloodstream."

 

Part 7

"Drug? What kind of drug? You're not saying that Lee. . . ."

Jamieson looked down into the tired face of his employer. "Admiral, I'm not trying to say anything except that is a faint sign of an unknown drug in the Skipper's bloodstream. The lab here will check it out. We need to make sure that it isn't something which could react to the medication he will be given because of the bullet wound."

"I. . .I see. Of course, you have to do that, but I don't understand. Lee hasn't been. . .could it be something left over from when he was in the accident?"

"Admiral, you know our Captain. He hates taking pills. All I issued were some aspirin. This is not aspirin."

Nelson clenched his hands together, letting his forehead rest on them for a second. "Lt. Turner will love this. He already thinks Lee killed Mrs. Farrell."

"Admiral, don't let yourself consider the worst. We'll find out what this drug is. The main thing right now is for you to take care of yourself so that when the Skipper needs you, you'll be able to help him."

"I just can't leave here until I know Lee is all right. Turner told me that he's practically ready to clap Lee in irons, just as soon as he gets the okay." The Admiral rubbed his hands together again. He could still catch a faint whiff of blood.

"Well, that's not going to happen today so why don't you go back to the penthouse, clean up and get some rest."

"I. . . ."

"Please, sir, you could also stop by the infirmary and tell Mr. Morton what happened. He was asleep when your call came in."

The red-haired man thought it over for a moment and then stood up. "You're right. Once Lee is coherent, he's going to need someone here. I also intend to call the attorney. I don't want that bastard Turner talking to Lee without someone to advise him about his rights."

"That's an excellent idea. Did, , ,Lee have a chance to say anything to you before he was shot?"

The look on Crane's face and his shotgun accusation flickered through Harri's tired mind, but he tried to put that aside. He would straighten that out later. "He said that he was. . .confused about what happened at Mrs. Farrell. In fact he didn't seem to remember much about being there, except he believed that. . .he had his hands around Mrs. Farrell's throat. . .he's afraid he might have killed her."

Jamieson's face reacted in horror. "He can't really believe that!"

"Jamie, he's exhausted, bewildered. . .he even thought I led the police to him. I'm not sure he even knows what to believe or who to trust."

"Then it's up to us to help him see that he did not hurt anyone."

"I just hope he'll give us have the chance. With all that's happened and now this bullet wound, I'm afraid he'll refuse to talk to me."

"Well then, we'll play our ace."

"Ace? What the hell are you talking about, Jamie. Poker at a time like this?"

Dr. Will Jamieson smiled at the other man. "An ace named Chip Morton. I think the Skipper will listen to him and heaven knows our Exec needs to feel that he's done something to help Lee."

"Maybe. . .maybe you're right but is he in any shape to come here to be with Lee?"

"I have a feeling that man would get here if he had to crawl but fortunately there's no need for that. I'll load him up in the van and bring him over just as soon Lee's in his own room. The three of us are not going to let Lee Crane be sacrificed."

Harri's lined face broke into a grin. This was the kind of talk he needed to hear. Even Harriman Nelson couldn't work miracles all on his own. "I appreciate that Jamie. I think you're right about my going to the penthouse. I need to recharge my batteries and I'll talk to Chip about coming over here to be with Lee."

"Good. Why don't you go now? I'll stay here and see if I can find out anything more about that drug? After all, this is what I get paid the big bucks for!"

"Fine. I'll be back later. A few hours of sleep will do me and. . . ."

"Six hours of sleep or no deal!"

Nelson's jaw clenched. "Six hours-I don't need six hours and Turner might be back any time!"

"Admiral, listen to me. As a doctor, I can legitimately keep Turner away from Lee. You can't. I know the doctors here and I'm sure they don't want their patient to be hassled until he's physically capable of answering questions so no more arguments. Go talk to Chip and get some sleep. I'll be here when you come back."

Nelson conceded defeat. "Now, I know why Chip and Lee call you 'Vlad'. I'll do just as you say." Then he hesitated. "Jamie, there is no one more important to me than Lee Crane. I'm trusting you to keep him safe."

Audaciously, Jamieson patted the 4-star officer on the shoulder. "I know what Lee means to you and you don't have to worry. If necessary, I'll load a hypo with knockout drops and give Turner a pain in the butt." Jamie didn't smile as he made his declaration.

"That's good enough for me. See you in seven hours or so."

The CMO watched his friend leave and then he went off to the hospital labs. It was time for some answers.

VVVVV

As he stepped out of the hospital, Nelson realized that he had left his car near the Italian butcher where Lee had been shot since he had accompanied Crane in the ambulance. Too tired to worry about it, he waited for a taxi to pull up in front of the hospital. Maybe one of the hands could pick up the car later.

As soon as he arrived at the penthouse, Harri stripped off his clothes, took a hot shower, dried and was asleep within a few minutes. True to his word, Nelson didn't rise until six hours later, but after a quick call to the hospital, he quickly dressed, grabbed some coffee and toast before heading to the infirmary. It was time to face Chip Morton.

The Exec definitely looked better than the man who had practically been pried from Crane's red car nearly a month before. He, too, was just finishing a simple meal when the red-haired scientist walked into the room. "Admiral, it's good to see you. Jamie has disappeared. He usually comes in every morning and we share some coffee, but he didn't come in this morning."

The Admiral pulled up a chair and sat down. "Chip, Jamie is over at the Santa Barbara Hospital. He's there because of Lee."

Fear crossed Chip's handsome face. "Lee? What the hell happened and why aren't you there with him?"

"Easy, Mr. Morton, I'm not there because Jamie insisted I need to get some sleep and he wanted me to come here to ask you for a favor."

"Name it and stop evading my question. What happened to Lee?"

"He sent me a message late last night asking me to meet him. When I got there, we only had a few moments to talk before. . .before he was shot!"

"Shot? By whom? Is he going to be all right? Let's get over there right now!"

"Chip, just listen and then by all means we'll go see him. I spoke to the nurse in charge just a few minutes ago. He had a quiet night and is still unconscious so I think we can wait until I tell you what happened."

Morton took two deep breaths. This was not a time to lose control. "Tell me then."

"The police showed up unexpectedly. Somehow Lee was shot. We got him to the hospital where he had surgery for a collapsed lung. The doctors seem to think he'll be fine."

"But?"

"Lt. Turner was at the hospital. He intends to put Lee into a security area, just as soon as Lee is ready to be moved. He's sure Lee killed Mrs. Farrell."

Morton grabbed hold of the white sheet. "The man's a . . .how can he think that Lee would do something like that?"

"He doesn't know Lee the way you and I do." Blue eyes met blue eyes. Both men were aware of their feelings for the handsome Captain.

"I guess not," Chip conceded, "but Lee will set him straight when he. . .wakes up."

"I only wish it were that simple. Lee did have time to tell me that he doesn't remember much about what happened when he arrived at Mrs. Farrell's. Also, Jamie's discovered that Lee's blood contains an unknown drug. It's possible he truly doesn't know what happened."

Morton couldn't keep from groaning. "Dammit, somebody set him up, but why? Why kill Mrs. Farrell?"

"I don't know, but if we can find the answer to that then hopefully we can prove who really killed Doris Farrell."

"So how can I help?"

The Admiral stood up and stretched his tight muscles. "Since you're not exactly able to get around yet, Jamie and I thought it would be helpful if you can be there for Lee when he wakes up. He's very confused and you know him-he has his doubts, in fact he admitted that he's afraid he may have hurt Mts. Farrell. We need you there to talk to him, to make him see the truth."

The blond head nodded. "Okay, I can do that, but wouldn't he be more likely to listen to you?"

Nelson turned away for a moment before remarking, "He seemed to think that I led the police to him. I'm not willing to take the chance that he still trusts me, but we know he trusts you."

"Admiral, I think you're underestimating him. You said yourself he's confused. No one means more to him than you."

"I hope you're right, but this is not the time to test it out. For now let's just say that you're rescuer #1. Besides, Jamieson thought it would give you a chance to repay your debt."

The Exec smiled. "Jamie knows me pretty well, doesn't he? I owe Lee a great deal so if you can arrange it, let's get going. I'm sick of being in this room and in this bed."

It took Harriman Nelson very little time to arrange for Morton to be transported to the Santa Barbara Hospital. During the ride, neither man said much as they were both thinking about what was to come. They were both willing to fight to the end to make sure that Lee Crane did not suffer for something he didn't do. Now they only had to make sure that Crane was willing to fight for himself.

 

Part 8

Harriman Nelson and Chip Morton in a wheelchair headed towards the nursing station to find out the room number where their friend would be located. Unfortunately, they were ambushed on the way there.

"Admiral Nelson, I need to talk to you!"

The red-haired scientist groaned at the sight of Lt. Roger Turner, who almost tripped over Morton's wheelchair in his eagerness to talk with the older man. "What is it, Lieutenant? Lt. Commander Morton and I want to see Commander Crane now."

The heavyset detective glanced hastily at the blond officer. "So you're the Executive Officer of SEAVIEW? I had intended to visit you at the Institute infirmary. This will save me a trip."

Chip's cold blue eyes just gazed at the lawman, but he said nothing.

"Lieutenant Turner, just what is it you want to talk to me about?" Nelson asked impatiently.

Smiling with arrogance, the detective announced, "I had the bullet which the doctors extracted from Commander Crane tested. It did not match any of the weapons used by my men so you see we did not shoot your man!"

Harri's blue eyes blinked. "But that's impossible! It had to be one of your men. No one else was there!"

"Admiral, I'll let you see the report. The ballistics evidence proves that none of my men was trigger-happy!" His smirk was almost audible.

"Then how do you explain that Lee Crane was shot and nearly killed?"

For a moment the detective just stood there and then in a quiet voice admitted, "I can't."

Morton took that instant to interject his own comment. "It seems obvious that someone else was there, but maybe it was a long range shot using an infra-red scope. Whoever did it must have thought that the police wouldn't bother to check it out."

Turner spluttered. "That's ridiculous. Every time a police officer fires his weapon, there has to be an accounting. I. . .I just don't understand what's going on here."

For the first time Harriman Nelson had a glimmer of sympathy for the man. "Frankly, Lieutenant, I don't understand what is going on either, but obviously someone wanted Lee Crane dead, probably so that he couldn't tell what he knows."

The granite look in Turner's eyes reappeared. "I thought you said that he didn't remember much about what happened?"

"That's true, but there's something you should know." Nelson licked his dry lips. If he admitted that Lee had been under the influence of a drug that just might give Turner another weapon to use against his lover. "You see Dr. Jamieson told me that there appears to be the remains of some sort of drug in Commander Crane's system."

"Drug? What kind of drug?"

"I don't know, but perhaps they've isolated it by now. Perhaps we should find Jamieson and see what he has to say?"

"Of course. A drug, huh? He doesn't seem the type."

Nelson flinched. "So you think he could kill, but not be a druggie?"

"Admiral, I know you don't like me. You don't have to, but I have a job to do. I think almost any man or woman could kill given the right circumstances, but I doubt that a man like your Captain could hide a drug addiction for very long."

"No," Nelson conceded, "you're right about that. As Jamieson can tell you, we are very careful about such an occurrence. We give random drug tests at regular intervals."

"Including the officers?"

"Including everybody--the crew and officers. When a vessel frequently works at depths of 4000 feet, a misjudgment due to the influence of drugs can have fatal repercussions." Nelson visibly shuddered. It has been just such a situation that had led to the destruction of the ANGLER and the loss of their friends, Jim Williams and Frank Richardson. It had almost happened again on the island to Crane and Nelson.

"So if that's true then just where did he get this drug?" Turner inquired.

"I don't know, but hopefully Lee can tell us when he wakes up."

"He doesn't know either." The three men looked at the tired man who had just caught up with them. "I talked with him just a few minutes ago. He's still groggy from the anesthesia, but when I told him about the drug, he denied knowing anything about it." Jamieson stared pointedly at the detective.

Turner almost snorted. "You don't think he'd admit to taking something like that, do you?"

Jamieson's face turned to stone. "Lieutenant Turner, we haven't been able to isolate this drug as of yet except to say it is some form of a hallucinogenic. If so, it is probably odorless and tasteless so Crane could have ingested it without even knowing he was doing so."

"My goodness, just what kind of company has your Captain been with? So someone slips him a Mickey and he goes out and commits murder? Do you really think the jury is going to buy that?"

Jamie's fingers itched to slap the man, but he held back. Nelson had no such qualms. Pushing forward, he hissed at the odious man. "Lt. Turner, instead of casting aspersions on an innocent man, why don't you go out and find out just who did shoot Lee? If, as you say, the police did not do it then someone wants Lee dead. Now doesn't that suggest something to you?"

Shaken by the redhead thunderbolt's question, Turner felt sweat run down his back, but he pulled himself together. "So? He had an accomplice! Someone who wanted to make sure he didn't talk when I pulled him in."

"Accomplice? I thought your theory was that Lee did it out of fear that Mrs. Farrell would demand an investigation, that she could make trouble for what happened to her son."

Turner looked down at the blond sitting in the wheelchair. "Yes, that's. . .one theory, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have had an accomplice. After all, not only Crane's career could have been destroyed in an investigation. Isn't that right, Admiral?"

The temperature in the waiting room dropped ten degrees. "In case you've forgotten, Lieutenant, I was standing right next to Lee at the time he was shot. I'm sure your ballistics evidence must have proved that it was not a close-up shot," the scientist remarked through clenched teeth.

"Oh, I don't think you'd do the shooting yourself. You were only the lure. It's not that difficult to hire a man good with a rifle-if you know where to look."

"That does it! If you intend to charge me as an accomplice to murder then you'd better be sure you have the proof or I warn you, you'll be facing charges yourself. Now, should I call my lawyer and tell him to meet us at your headquarters?" Nelson's face was so red that it nearly matched his hair.

"Oh, I don't think that's necessary right now. First of all I need to talk with the suspect. Dr. Jamieson, is he ready for interrogation?"

"He's extremely weak and not lucid most of the time. You'd be better waiting until tomorrow."

Surprisingly, Turner agreed. "I don't want anyone saying that I took advantage of an injured man, but as of now there will be two guards with Commander Crane-one inside his room and one out. I will have a list made of those who are permitted to visit him."

"Lt. Turner, I'd like your permission to spend some time with Lee. . . Commander Crane," Chip asked.

"Now why would you feel the need to do that?"

"He stayed with me when I was recovering from the car accident. I'd like to do the same for him. Look at it this way, Lieutenant, who is he more likely to talk to than his best friend-and I'll relay everything he says to you."

Nelson and Jamieson's mouths dropped open in horror, but the detective's face lit up in a smile. "Well, I can see you're a
practical man, Mr. Morton. He is more likely to talk to you, but just remember that I'll have my own man in there so don't try anything."

"I just want to get to the truth as you do. I happen to believe Lee is innocent and if I can help him remember what actually happened, so much the better."

"Agreed. You will have free access to the Commander. Admiral, I'll make sure you can see your. . .Captain once or twice. After all, I'm sure he'll need the succor of his. . .friends."

Jamieson started to open his mouth to ask another question but didn't get out the first word. "Oh, I'm sure you'll be allowed to see him too, Doctor. You do seem right at home here."

"Actually, I was going to mention a woman named Denise Holden. She's a nurse from the Infirmary."

"A nurse but there are lots of nurses here," the lawman protested.

"Yes, but you see she's volunteered to help out. She's been helping me with Mr. Morton and she knows Captain Crane quite well. Besides, she's in with him right now. I was just about to go home and get some sleep when you gentlemen showed up."

"I see, well, perhaps that might be all right, but I'd like to talk with her first. I want to make it clear what she is permitted to say and do."

"Of course. I'll go get her."

Five minutes later, Jamie returned with Denise in tow. The young woman smiled when she caught sight of Chip. "Chip, you're looking better. Dr. Jamieson tells me you're going to sit with Lee for awhile?"

The blond nodded. "Yes, I think I owe him that much."

"Oh, I'm sure Lee will be delighted. One of the first things he asked me when he woke up was how you are."

"He's awake?" Nelson demanded.

"Yes, Admiral. He's in some pain, but he's awake."

"C'mon, Chip, let's go see him."

"He's in Room 214," she informed them. "I'll be right there just as soon as I talk with Lt. Turner."

Nelson virtually ignored the young woman in his haste to get to the room where his lover lay injured. Pushing the wheelchair at a good clip, Nelson headed for the elevator.

"All right, Denise, I'll leave you with Lt. Turner. I should be back in a few hours."

"Take your time, Dr. Jamieson. I'm sure the lieutenant and I will have a nice chat."

Jamie gave her a strange look, but proceeded out the door. Right then a warm bed seemed the answer to all of his prayers.

Watching the slim physician go out the door, Denise turned to Lt. Turner. "Now, how can I help you?" she asked.

For one moment the man was taken aback. So far he had met only hostility from Crane's friends. "I understand that you have volunteered to stay with Captain Crane along with Mr. Morton and the Admiral. I want you to be aware that I will have a man in the room so if he says anything about the case, it will be recorded."

Denise's blue eyes blinked. "Oh, I thought you wanted to ask me about the confrontation between Commander Crane and Mrs. Farrell?"

"Confrontation? What confrontation? You mean when he went to her house?"

"No, no, here at the hospital. She was here one of the nights while Lt. Commander Morton was a patient. She said some dreadful things to Lee. Poor man, he almost kills his best friend in a car and then she accuses him of covering up about her son's death! She even told him she was going to take it someone who would start an investigation. It's no wonder, Lee was so distraught."

"Distraught?"

"Well, yes, since I had heard what she said, he felt he could talk to me. Besides, Chip was still out of it."

"And did he say anything of interest?" Turner was practically licking his chops.

"Only that she said she had received a threatening note from Lee and that she wanted him to stop sending them."

"Threatening note?"

"Yes, she showed it to Lee and he denied sending it, but she didn't believe him! Can you imagine that?"

"Do you know what happened to that note?"

"I assume she took it with her. Lee certainly didn't have it."

"I see. Well, you've been very helpful. I think I'll just. . . ."

"Poor Lee, he was just so afraid. I mean his career is just so. . .important to him, almost as important as the Admiral."

Turner hesitated. "They have been good friends for some years."

Denise giggled. "Well, of course, but you know they're more than that."

"What. . .what are you talking about?"

"Well, I really shouldn't be saying this, but I know a police lieutenant is a man of the world so you won't be shocked. They, well, they have an intimate relationship as they say."

Thunderstruck, Turner stood there trying to catch his breath. "How. . .how do you know that?"

"The night of the murder, Lee and I were with Chip in his room. Lee was. . .restless. I tried to talk him into going out and getting something to eat, but he just brought us both some coffee. Finally, he was driving me crazy with his pacing so I told him to go home for a few hours and I'd stay with Chip. He thanked me and said he would like to go take a shower and clean up so he left."

"But how did that tell you they're. . .lovers?"

"Well, just before he went out the door, he walked over to Chip's bed, took one of hands and murmured something. I'm not sure I should tell you what."

"Do you want to be put on the stand to testify to what he said?"

"Oh, alright, I guess you'll find out anyway. He said, "I'll be back soon, Chip. Don't worry, I won't let her wreck everything we've worked for. I'll fix it so that you and Harri are safe."

That's very interesting, Miss Holden, but it doesn't mean that Crane is involved with Admiral Nelson. It could easily be Lt. Commander Morton."

"Chip?" she trilled. "Take it from me, he's interested in women."

"But. . . .?"

"Just as he left, he handed me a slip of paper with a phone number on it. He said he'd be staying there for the night so if I needed him to call."

"So?"

"I recognized the number-it was Admiral's Nelson phone at his penthouse."

"But Nelson was on board SEAVIEW that night!"

"I know, but do you think Harriman Nelson would let just anyone use his penthouse? No, he lets Lee Crane use it because they're lovers. Trust me on this one. A woman can tell. Now if you don't have any other questions, I really need to get up to Room 214." With a wave of her hand, Denise Holden left, leaving an aghast Lt. Turner standing in the middle of the waiting area.

 

CONTINUES