Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
8,977
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,808

Pressures of Love

Summary:

* Takes place after "The Enemies".

Work Text:

Pressures of Love
by S

 

The stocky, red-haired man strode off the gray submarine. He had work to do at his office up the hill and he intended to do it. Unfortunately, there were some gentlemen of the press just outside the gates that led to SEAVIEW's berth. Stopping at the sight of the small crowd of reporters, Nelson gave a quiet, "Harrumph!" as he tried to shoulder past them. When the reporters started to shove back with their notepads in his face, the guards at the gate decided to step in to protect the man who paid their salaries.

For one moment it looked like the situation might turn ugly, but then one of the reporters yelled out, "What are you afraid of Nelson? Why don't you want to talk to us?"

The 4-star officer halted and then raised his voice. "I am not afraid of anything. I will give you five minutes of my time and that's it!"

One of the guards gasped, "But, Admiral, . . . ."

Nelson patted the man on the arm. "It's all right. You go back to your post. I can handle," he glanced at the six reporters with disdain, "these people alone."

Grumbling, the two guards did go back to their posts.

Nelson shifted his briefcase from one hand to the other and then began, "Now, gentlemen, why don't you tell me what this is all about? I have work to do."

The tallest of the reporters shoved forward, "Admiral Nelson, we all know your reputation, but my readers want to know when you intend to charge Commander Lee Crane with attempted murder and remove him from his post as the Captain of SEAVIEW?"

Nelson's eyes opened wide. "What the hell are you talking about? I have no plans to remove Crane from his post."

The reporter smirked, "Are you trying to tell us that a man can attempt to kill you and you'll let him remain in command of the most lethal weapon under the seven seas?"

"I. . .I don't know what you're talking about."

A rumbling of voices came from the others before the big man shushed them. "We know the truth Nelson! There was a leak from higher-up. We know what happened on that island you just returned from!"

"Gentlemen, SEAVIEW's missions are classified and I have no intention of discussing them with you. Now, I believe your five minutes are up. Excuse me. I do have work to do. I suggest you find someone else to harass."

The small dynamo pushed through the group and continued his walk up the hill. Behind him, a voice called out, "This isn't the first time you've protected Crane, is it? What is it between the two of you?"

Nelson stopped, clenched his fists, and turned to face his accuser. "Just what are you insinuating?"

"Everyone knows how close you are to Captain Crane. He is your good. . .friend, isn't he? In fact, he's such a good friend that he nearly killed you and yet you didn't relieve him of command. Isn't that the truth? And you didn't testify against him as you did with Lt. William Corbett? But then Corbett was only a former student of yours, wasn't he?" This time the buzz from the other reporters was quite loud.

"C-Commander Crane was also a student of mine," Nelson stammered. "He's a f-fine man."

The tall man sneered, his gray eyes boring into the blue eyes of his quarry. "Fine man? A man who lets one of his crew die in front of a Banana Republic firing squad, a man who tries to sabotage his own submarine, despite the fact that he knew the whole crew would be killed, a man who would hold a gun on two 4-star admirals and incite mutiny. That's not my definition of a fine man, but perhaps you have other. . .criteria?"

"How. . .how do you know all of this? None of that was ever made public!" Nelson protested.

"I have my ways. I am an investigative reporter, and I have. . .friends who want to see justice done. The question is, do you?"

Nelson took a deep breath. "I repeat that our missions are classified, Mr. . . ."

"Name's Nicholls. Jake Nicholls. I do freelance articles and I think I've got a real story and evidently so do my colleagues here."

A short, plump, sweating man took up the challenge. "I'm George Dalton, Admiral. I write for the 'Post'. Nicholls has a point. We all know that you have the President's ear. Does he know all about you and Captain Crane?"

"What do you mean? There is nothing between Captain Crane and me, except a professional relationship!"

Dalton snickered, "So you've got nothing to hide? Everybody's got something to hide--even the great Harriman Nelson. The question is, are you going to be honest about it and maybe we'll go easy on you seein' you're a national hero. Just tell us what it is that Crane has on you!"

"Nothing! Absolutely nothing! Now if you don't leave this property, I'll have you all arrested." The scientist marched off, leaving the reporters standing there to scribble frantically in their notebooks.

Once the Admiral was safely out of reach, the reporters quickly made to leave also, all of them anxious to find out the details that might give them the information for a prize-winning column.

As soon as the area was clear, two men stepped out from behind the small building which the guards used in inclement weather. Chip Morton could see the pain on the face of his best friend. "Lee, don't take it so hard. You know that it'll blow over."

"But that reporter was . . .right. If it wasn't for you, I'd have killed the Admiral."

"Because of those berries. You'd never hurt him, particularly now!"

Crane glanced into the concerned blue eyes. "Chip, I have hurt the Admiral despite the fact that we're. . .involved. You can't deny that!"

"No, but there were reasons and the Admiral knows that. He's forgiven you."

Crane flinched. "Forgiven me? He shouldn't have to forgive me. He gave me command and I've let him down!"

"Lee. . . ."

"Chip, I think I won't go up to the office. I'm going home. I'll call you tomorrow."

"But I thought you were going up to the penthouse for a little R & R?"

"I don't think that's a good idea right now."

Chip bit his lip. "Lee, you know Nelson cares about you. He won't let anyone cause problems for the two of you."

"Are you sure? He seemed to be on the. . .defensive when they started asking about our relationship."

Morton hesitated, "I think he was just. . . taken by surprise. Now, why don't you go on up and talk it over with him?"

The Skipper shook his dark head. "He told me that he has a meeting and work to catch up on. I think it would be better to talk to him later."

"Well. . . ."

"C'mon, Chip, I'll drop you off at home. I know you have a date."

The blond conceded. "Yeah, I do, but if you need me to cancel I will."

Lee gave his friend a tired smile. "Thanks but that's not necessary. I just need. . .to think. Besides, you don't want to keep Delores waiting. You know what her temper is like."

Morton unconsciously rubbed his head. He remembered the last time when Delores had hit him over the head with a book because he had been an hour late for their date. "Yeah, she's one hot tamale. I guess you're right, but I still say you should go talk to the Admiral."

"Tomorrow, Chip, tomorrow."

 

Part 2

Harriman Nelson paced around his office, his hair wildly disheveled from rubbing one hand through it over and over. The encounter with the reporters had played havoc with his usually methodical mind. Work needed to be done and yet all the famous man could think about were the barely veiled accusations made by Nicholls and Dalton. How could they have found out so much and did they know about the intimate relationship Nelson enjoyed with Lee Crane?

As the red-haired genius completed another circumnavigation of his office, the intercom buzzed. "Admiral, Dr. West is here. He has the plans you wanted to see."

"What? Oh, of course. Send him in. Oh, and Angie, no calls while I'm talking to Dr. West." The last thing he needed was a call from one of the pesky reporters.

"Of course, Sir."

Dr. Anthony West was a relative newcomer to the staff at NIMR, but he and Nelson had met at several conferences so the Admiral was quite familiar with the caliber of the man's research. West was just the opposite of Nelson, tall with dark eyes and hair and a rather shy demeanor. Taking his seat, the younger man quietly thanked the Admiral for seeing him. "I know what happened just outside the gates with those reporters. They have no regard for anyone."

"What? How did you know. . . .?"

"I was in the lounge taking a short break. The television was on and one of the news channels broke in with a live broadcast. You must be furious."

"I. . .it wasn't pleasant. Now, I would like to see your designs. I believe you're almost ready to build your prototype?"

"Yes, indeed," the big man enthused. He tended to think of his designs as his children and so he never tired of talking about them. The discussion, mostly one-sided, did go on for sometime until West realized that Nelson was not listening to him. Clearing his throat, the younger scientist caught the officer's attention. "Sir, if you don't mind my being presumptuous I believe you should take a rest. I know you came here straight from your submarine and then to have that confrontation with. . . ."

"No, no, I'm fine, but perhaps I will go upstairs for an hour or so. Your designs look perfect. I'll be interested to see the prototype when it's built. Perhaps you can bring it on board SEAVIEW for a try out?"

West's eyes lit up. "I would be most pleased to do so. Frankly, I always wanted to be a submariner, but the doctors discovered I have an inner ear problem so I concentrated on my second love-naval weapons design. It's always been a dream of mine to visit SEAVIEW's missile and control room."

"Well, then we'll have to see what we can do about making your dream come true. Just keep Angie apprised of your progress."

"I will and thank you, sir. Oh and good luck with those reporters. I have a feeling you haven't seen the last of them."

"I'm afraid you're right."

As soon as West left the office, Nelson walked down to Lee Crane's office. He had expected the Captain to show up there as soon as the docking crew was in place. Instead he found his lover's office empty and his secretary didn't know his whereabouts. Thinking that he might still be on board the gray lady, he asked the secretary to call the sub and find out, but the only reply was that Crane and Morton had left some time before.

Forgetting even to thank the woman, the Admiral returned to his office. He had a great deal of work to do, but he also needed to talk with Crane in case the reporters went after the Captain. The two of them had been friends for a long time, but lovers for only a month so this would be the first challenge to their relationship. Obviously, discretion was important on both their parts so how had someone discovered their secret? As far as Nelson knew, only the Exec had been informed of the change in status between Captain and Admiral-and both men knew that he was to be trusted implicitly. Ironically, Nelson had intended to tell his own best friends about Crane sometime before SEAVIEW's next mission. Now, his whole world might be turned topsy-turvy.

The basket of papers on his desk stared NIMR's director in the face as he sat down at his desk. There was so much to do and so little time, but he just shoved the papers aside to pick up the phone. First, he dialed Lee Crane's number but when there was no answer, he decided to try Morton's in case the two had gone back to his place. Just as he was about to give up on the 8th ring, Morton, out of breath from running, picked up.

"Morton here."---

"Chip, it's Nelson. Is Lee with you?"---

"No, sir. He dropped me off here. I have a date and I wanted to shower. He said he was going to his place."---

"I just tried there and no answer. He was supposed to stop by his office. I thought we. . .well, I was hoping we could have dinner together after I finished here."---

"He did tell me that you were going to be busy. Maybe he just didn't want to bother you. I expect he was just upset and went for a drive."--- Morton gulped loudly. He knew he had just made a mistake.

"Upset? About what?" Nelson demanded.

"Uh, well, we were just going to head up to NIMR when we saw those reporters gang up on you."---

Worriedly, the red-haired man rubbed one hand over his eyes before inquiring, "Did Lee hear what they were asking?"---

"Yes sir, unfortunately, he did."---

"I see and knowing the Captain, he didn't take it too well."---

"Would you expect him to, considering what they were insinuating?"---

"No, no I wouldn't. Thanks, Chip. I'll see if I can locate him. We need to talk."---

"Sir, I. . .he said that he intended to talk to you tomorrow. Perhaps you should let him make the first move?"---

The Admiral hesitated, "Normally I would but I just found out that little incident was broadcast live on television. I didn't even notice a camera there so that means that someone knew in advance that something was going to take place so they placed at least one camera in a hidden location. Our security has been compromised and I need to know why and how!"---

"Yessir, I would say so. You also need to find out what they know about you and Lee. He's already doing his guilt number because of what happened on the island and now this!"---

Nelson sighed. Lee Crane could find a way to blame himself for a rainy day. "You're right, Chip. I'll find him and straighten it out."---

"Good luck, sir. If there's anything I can do, don't hesitate to ask."---

"Thanks. If you're not busy with Delores tomorrow, maybe you could stop by the penthouse. We could have a brainstorming session."---

"Well, uh, I did. . . ."---

"Say no more, I'd be the last one to want you to get in trouble with Delores."---

"Actually, sir, I was thinking of not seeing her anymore after tonight. I don't mind hot tamales, but firecrackers can be
dangerous-and our lives are dangerous enough!"---

Nelson couldn't help but chuckle. "Good point, Mr. Morton, so if you're still alive in the morning, stop by the penthouse about 1100 hours."---

"Will do."--- The line cut off.

Nelson picked up some of the papers on his desk and started to wade through them. Every fifteen minutes he would stop to call Crane's apartment again, but it was always the same-no answer.

Frustrated by his lover's absence, Nelson lit up another cigarette even though the ashtray was already brimming. Used to being in control of his life, he felt edgy and out-of-place, needing to do something. Finally, after realizing that he wasn't doing himself any good just sitting there brooding, he decided to drive to his beach house and take a long walk on the beach. He would stop by Lee's place on the way in case the young man had returned home.

Once again, he was disconcerted to pull up in front of the apartment block and find Crane's car not in place. Throwing the car into gear, he roared off down the street heading towards the ocean highway that led to his own little Shangri-la. In the month that he and Lee had been lovers, the two of them had spent several memorable nights together, listening to the waves as they made love. Luckily, no policeman stopped his car as he made the trip much more quickly than the law allowed. Some part of him even hoped that maybe Lee had sought refuge in the home by the sea, but this parking space was empty too-no little red sports car and no gorgeous owner.

Stalking up the steps, Nelson peeled off his uniform to put on a lightweight shirt, trousers and a hat. Crane and Jamieson were always after him to be careful of sunburn with his complexion. Striding down the beach, Nelson tried to explore his options, but so much depended on what was known about his relationship with Lee. The President himself was an understanding man, but Nelson knew that he had to deal with pressure from Congress, religious leaders and so many others who only saw that two men in love were a perversion. He certainly would not sacrifice his own political career for Nelson.

On the other hand, the red-haired genius had to question whether he wasn't being slightly paranoid. Maybe the reporters knew nothing about the two men and were referring to something else, but what? Nicholls had asked what the Captain had on Nelson that he would be afraid to fire him. The 4-star officer shook his head wearily. There just seemed to be no answers and too many questions.

Turning around, he started back towards the beach house. A cool drink would be welcome and then he would call Lee again. Surely he would be home by now.

As he approached the door, he could hear the phone ringing. Rushing up the steps, he picked up the receiver, hoping it was Lee. It was Angie.

"Admiral, I'm sorry to bother you, but after you left, well, all hell broke loose. Oh, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have put it that way, but it's true."---

"That's all right, Angie. What's wrong?"

"The President's Chief of Staff called. It seems they've been receiving phone calls and telegrams ever since that incident at the gate ran on the news. Some of the members of Congress are calling for an investigation."---

"What?"---

"Yessir. When I couldn't reach you, I didn't know what to do."---

"I'll give the Chief of Staff a call now, Angie. Thanks."---

Before her boss could hang up, Angie asked, "I. . .have you seen Commander Crane?"---

"No, why?"---

"The Chief of Staff said that they'll definitely want to talk to him as well."---

Nelson's heart began to thud loudly. "Don't worry, Angie, I'll take care of this."---

"Good luck, sir."---

"Thanks. I'll need it."---

The Admiral immediately put in a call to the office of the Chief of Staff. Customarily, he was put right through, but this time he was put on hold. One hand thrummed constantly on the desk as he waited for the familiar voice to take the line. Five minutes later he nearly slammed the receiver down as the implications of the Chief of Staff's demands registered. A special congressional committee with top security clearance would fly to Santa Barbara to interview Nelson and Crane and then present their findings to the President and if it so merited also to the rest of Congress. There was no recourse if Nelson wanted to continue his association with the government and particularly the Navy in the matter of contracts.

It was all the red-haired man could do not to throw something in anger, but he knew that wouldn't help. He had to find Lee Crane so that they could deal with the situation. Between them they would be able to put the damning evidence of brain-washing and mutiny into a proper perspective so that even the dense men on the committee would see that in no way was Crane responsible--or at least he hoped they could do so. The scientist was under no illusions that his lover would allow Nelson's lifework to be sacrificed. In fact, not long after the two men had declared their love for each other, Crane had said as much-that no matter what happened between them, Lee would never let the scientist lose NIMR and SEAVIEW because of him.

Puffing on still another cigarette, the Admiral put in one more call to Lee's apartment. This time Crane answered. After listening for a few seconds, the Skipper agreed to drive out to the beach house to talk. Nelson put the receiver down with a sigh of relief. Surely now they could work everything out between them.

 

Part 3

Hearing the roar of a motorcycle in his driveway, Harriman Nelson looked out just in time to see Lee Crane climb off the powerful machine. He was glad he did because Crane was dressed in a favorite pair of jeans, tight in all the right places, a shirt with three buttons undone and a leather jacket. The clothes and his prominent five o'clock shadow gave him the appearance of a man on the make.

"C'mon in, Lee. Would you like a cold drink? It's hot out there." Harriman Nelson backed up to let his lover into the beach house. The man who walked through the door was not the Lee Crane who commanded the world's greatest submarine nor was he the lover who had driven the red-haired genius into paroxysms of delight just a few nights before in the very same house. This was a man on the edge, a man who radiated danger.

"No thank you, sir. I can only stay a moment. There are things I must do, but you said we needed to talk so here I am."

Nelson's face fell as he heard the words. "But I. . .I thought you understood from what I said to you on the phone that I. . .we have problems that we need to discuss."

The dark head nodded. "Yes sir, you said that, but I received a phone call right after yours. It's urgent that I meet someone in less than an hour and I have a half-hour ride."

"Thirty minutes? Our careers are at stake here and you can only give me thirty minutes? What the hell's the matter with you?" Nelson almost shook the younger man.

"Admiral, there's no need to be upset. I'm sure you can handle this investigation. The men who are coming to Santa Barbara respect you. I'm sure they'll see reason."

"Reason?" Harri's hair glowed like fire. "Those men will want to know why you are still in my employ after you tried to kill me on General Tau's island."

"So tell them the truth. Tell them about the berries which made me hate you so much all I could was think about was trying to kill you--the man I'm supposed to love."

"I can't tell them that!"

"Why not? Are you ashamed of me or is it that you're not sure you love me enough?"

Nelson clenched his hands, his voice lowering, "Lee, you know I wish we could be together openly, but the way things are we can't. The main thing is that we convince these politicians that I had valid reasons for keeping you on as captain."

"Oh of course, valid reasons like that fact that I was brainwashed or under the influence of aliens or hallucinogenic drugs? I'm sure they'll be reassured by those. Or should I just blame it all on you and your reaction to cortisone, making it necessary for me to mutiny or we'd all be dead!" The brown-gold eyes glared at the shorter man before they turned away from the startled face.

"Lee, please listen to me. When. . .when you just blurt it out like that, I admit it sounds. . .bad, but we know it's true. None of it was your fault."

Ice filled Crane's usually pleasant voice. "Not even Farrell's death?"

Nelson couldn't face the pain in that beautiful face as he reached out to touch the taller man. "Lee, you know there was nothing else you could have done."

"I doubt that Farrell's family sees it that way. Did. . .did I ever tell you that I received a letter from his mother?"

The scientist jerked his hand away in surprise. "No, why didn't you say something before now?"

"I needed to handle it on my own. Mrs. Farrell said that she had received the money from his institute insurance policy. She said that she giving the money to several charities because she wouldn't live on blood money."

"Blood money?"

"She told me that one of the crew sent her a letter, telling her the details of what happened in that jail. She called me a coward and said it should have been me who was shot."

"Lee, the poor woman was just distraught. It's always difficult when. . . ."

"Admiral, when I stopped by apartment to change, I picked up my mail. There was an envelope with pictures of Farrell as a child in it. She also included a note, saying that today would have been her son's 28th birthday and that she would never let me forget what I had done for as long as she's alive."

Nelson walked over to the bottle of Irish whiskey and poured two glasses. Then he handed one to Lee, who set the glass on the nearby table. "Thanks but I'd better go soon and it wouldn't look good to have an accident. The reporters would just love that."

"Lee, you can't go now. I know that you're. . .upset by all of this, but we need to work out what we're going to do. The investigators will be at NIMR on Monday at 0900. They'll want to talk to both of us."

Crane rubbed gently at one temple before answering his lover. "Admiral, I think we might as well face up to the truth. You need to tell these politicians what happened, all of the ugly truth about the things I did. If they decide that I'm not fit to. . .command then I'll resign. I'm not going to let you sacrifice all you've worked for."

"Lee, they'll understand. They must. No one could have resisted the brainwashing or the effect of those berries. It could just as easily been me who tried to kill you."

"I wish that was true, but maybe you'd have been able to. . .to fight it. I guess it doesn't really matter now. You're the one with the silver tongue and reputation for integrity. If they don't believe you, what chance do I have of convincing them?"

Nelson's heart fell at the despair on his lover's face. "Lee, you have to tell your side of it."

"I'll be there if. . .I can."

"What do you mean, if?"

"Harri, it's better if you don't know in case this goes wrong. If I'm not there by 1300 hours then forget about me. Tell them whatever they want to hear that will clear you and NIMR. It's for the best."

Blue eyes opened wide as the redhead stepped closer to the other officer. "What are you talking about? What are you going to do? "

Half way out the door, Lee stopped. "I'll see you on Monday and if I don't then try to remember the good times we had together--and that I love you."

Stunned, Nelson stood there for a moment until the roaring of the motorcycle broke into his thoughts. Rushing out, he could only see the dust left behind by his lover's motorcycle.

VVVVVV

The next morning Harriman Nelson walked into his office at NIMR. Normally, he tried to spend Sundays with Lee Crane but obviously it was not a typical Sunday since Crane had taken off. Pulling out some papers, the scientist went over all of his official reports made about the incidents which the reporters had referred to. Reviewing Agent Forester's report on the sabotage incident, the Admiral went over every word with care. Hopefully, the congressional representatives would take the word of a third party. Forester had made no recommendations concerning punishment of Lee Crane. He had even commended the officer for his willingness to disclose every detail he could remember once the brainwashing had worn off. If necessary, Nelson intended to demand that the politicians call in Forester to testify directly.

Sifting through the other reports, Nelson sighed. In black and white, the truth sounded so . . . .sordid. Anyone who didn't know the Skipper might condemn him for allowing himself to be used in such a manner, but the Admiral knew that no one was more devoted to his country's welfare than Commander Lee Crane. The question was how to refute the accusations made by Nicholls and Dalton. Surely the committee would listen to Admiral Jiggs Starke talk about the need for Crane's mutiny, but would they listen to Patterson and Kowalski tell about Farrell's death? Dropping his head into his hands, Harri closed his eyes--an intolerable weight sat on his shoulders.

Just then the intercom buzzed. Not even waiting to knock, the Exec entered. "Admiral, what's this I hear about Lee taking off?"

"Where. . .where did you hear that?"

"Lee called me a few minutes ago. He said to take care of you if he didn't return then he hung up on me!"

Nelson couldn't keep from groaning, but he bit his lip until it bled in the effort. "He. . .he said he'd be back in time to testify--if he could."

"And you just let him go?" the blond's blue eyes blazed.

"And just how was I suppose to stop him?"

"You're his boss. . .his lover, don't you even care?"

Nelson backhanded the blond, who swayed under the power of the blow and then walked out, slamming the door behind him.

 

Part 4

"Admiral Nelson, we certainly appreciate your giving us your time and the facilities here at the Institute for this interview." Hiram Murray, the junior senator from one of the populous eastern states, shook hands with the 4-star officer, who he had met several times in connection with appropriations for SEAVIEW.

Calm of demeanor, the blue-eyed man smiled at the other man. At least one of the three interviewers was friendly. The other two, Congresswoman Helen Travis and Senator Donald Potter, were definitely not. In fact, the brief looks they gave Nelson spoke of boiling in oil at the very least.

"Admiral, shall we get started? I know you are a busy man and we want to conclude our interviews by tomorrow so we can make a recommendation to the full committee." Potter's pompous air already had begun to grate on Nelson's nerves and the first question hadn't even been asked!

"I'm more than happy to answer any questions you might have." Nelson knew he had to go along with this if there was any chance that his career as well as Crane's could be saved.

"Very well, shall we start with your latest mission? As you know, we have been given security clearance by the President so you can be sure none of us will divulge anything you say."

"I appreciate that, Senator Potter. Most of what SEAVIEW deals with is classified, including our encounter with General Tau on the island."

Congresswoman Travis icily replied, "Admiral, we know all that. What we want you to tell us are the details. Why were you on the island in the first place?"

"We were investigating the loss of a submarine. We discovered that the captain and executive officer had visited the island and then things began to. . .go wrong. I decided to check out the island to determine whether it might have been the cause for two friends to turn against each other which resulted in the destruction of their submarine."

"I see, but you didn't go alone, did you?" The glint in Helen Travis' brown eyes said she knew he hadn't.

"No, Captain Crane went with me. We were captured and subjected to some "tests" then we were released. Unfortunately, Commander Crane ate some berries which had been laced with a hallucinogenic before I realized what was going on. He. . .he reacted badly."

"Don't you mean he tried to kill you?"

"It wasn't his fault!" Nelson rose partially out of his seat in protest.

"That's for us to determine," Potter announced.

With a preening smile, Travis lowered her voice, "Admiral, you are to be commended for your. . .loyalty to a subordinate, but there is something that puzzles me. If you understood that Commander Crane would be affected by the hallucinogenic, why didn't you contact your submarine and ask for help?"

"We didn't have a radio. Lt. Commander Morton did have orders to pick us up, but when I tried to signal him, he wasn't on the island."

"Signaled him?"

"With my gun."

"I see. So you had a gun and I assume Commander Crane did as well?"

"Yes," he conceded.

"Why?"

Harri's hands clenched. He knew what Travis wanted to hear. "Tau had made sure we had guns so that once we were under the influence of the hallucinogenic we would be able to. . .kill each other."

The Congresswoman gave an unpleasant smirk. "That's not quite what I meant, Admiral. Why, if you were aware of what might happen, didn't you insist that Captain Crane give his gun to you? Surely if he was a rational, considerate man he would have?"

"I. . .I didn't think of it."

"And you didn't think of what it would mean if you fired your own weapon pointlessly in an effort to raise Morton, leaving yourself vulnerable to a man with a loaded weapon?"

"I. . .no, I thought I would be able to reason with Lee. . .Captain Crane."

"But you weren't able to, were you, Admiral? Had it not been for Morton's timely arrival you'd be at the bottom of a quicksand pit along with General Tau?"

The redhead nodded. "Tau evidently decided to do what Lee hadn't managed so I shot him. He fell into the quicksand."

"You shot Tau, but not Crane even though he intended to kill you, isn't that right?"

"Lee didn't understand what he was doing."

"So you say. Now let's talk about some other missions where Captain Crane has displayed less than stellar behavior."

The scientist glanced from one implacable face to the other of his interrogators. Only Murray's seemed to have any sympathy at all.

For the next two hours the Admiral answered question after question about missions in which Crane's behavior had nearly brought on disaster or had bordered on insubordination and even mutiny. More than once the red-haired officer was on the defensive trying to explain about the effects of the Skipper's brainwashing at the hands of agents of the People's Republic. Neither Travis nor Potter made any effort to disguise the disgust in their faces when Nelson told of how Crane had attempted to sabotage the missiles.

Potter even made a point of mentioning how Nelson had struck Crane in a moment of anger, suggesting that the Admiral should have locked the Captain in the brig at that time. Nelson just sat there, not knowing what to say to mitigate the incident. He had been angry and hurt at Lee's accusation, but of course, he hadn't realized the implications of the Skipper's outburst at that moment.

Finally at 1200 hours the interview paused for lunch. As he watched the three interviewers leave the interrogation room, Nelson felt his stomach roil with anxiety. He knew that at that moment, they would probably recommend that Crane would be removed from command. It was obvious that at least two of them believed that Nelson was just offering excuses for the Captain although they didn't come out and say why that might be.

Rising to his feet, the 4-star officer decided to go upstairs to the penthouse for a short rest before the questions began again. He also wanted to check with Angie to see if there had been any messages from Lee.

As he emerged from the room, he found Chip Morton waiting for him. On one cheekbone a dark bruise marred the Exec's face. Hesitantly, Chip asked, "How did it go, Admiral?"

"Badly, I'm afraid. They believe I'm just covering for Lee."

"And he still isn't here to speak for himself, is he?" The blond's voice was filled with despair

"No, and he told me if he wasn't here by 1300 to forget about him and try to save what I could of my own career."

Morton's blue eyes opened wide at that statement but he said nothing.

"Chip, I'm. . .I'm sorry I hit you yesterday. You were only concerned about a friend. I shouldn't have lost my temper."

"I'm sorry too. I know you care about Lee. I guess we were both on edge."

The redhead nodded. "I just don't understand how. . .how Nicholls knew all those things. Lee mentioned something about a crewman telling Mrs. Farrell about what happened in D'Alvarez' jail. Do you think one of the crew is talking to Nicholls?"

"I can't believe that. You know how much they all respect you and Lee."

"I've always thought so, but maybe I've been deluding myself about a lot of things."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Nelson glanced around hastily. Fortunately the corridor was empty. "Maybe Lee. . .doesn't feel the same way about me as I do about him. Maybe it was easier to run than stay here and face the rumors and accusations."

"Lee Crane isn't a coward! And I'd bet my last nickel on his feelings for you. Why else would he ask me to take care of you?"

Nelson rubbed his hand through his hair. "Practically the last thing he said to me was that he loved me, but then where is he? I need him here-no matter how this goes!"

The Exec said nothing in the face of Nelson's misery. Not long after Crane and Nelson had become lovers, his best friend had told Chip about the depth of his feelings for the red-haired genius, but Morton had to admit he couldn't understand why Lee had taken off. Trying to buck the older man up, Chip suggested, "Let's go have a cup of coffee. You must be thirsty after all that talking."

Nelson nodded. "Good idea. My throat does feel raspy. We just have time for a quick cup. I only wish I could top it off with a dram of something stronger!"

At precisely 1300 hours the three interrogators returned to their places followed by Nelson who took his place in the chair opposite them.

"Admiral, over lunch my colleagues and I discussed your comments," Murray informed him. "We appreciate your forthrightness, but frankly we believe it is time for Commander Crane to speak for himself. I did not notice him outside. Is he available for questioning?"

"Well, uh, I'm not sure. I haven't seen him since. . . ."

"Did you wish to see me, Senator Murray?" In the door stood an immaculately uniformed Lee Crane.

"Why yes, Commander, we do. Admiral Nelson has told us much about some of the missions, but it seems only fair that we talk to you next."

Crane gave all three members of the committee his most brilliant smile before moving farther into the room. "I agree so perhaps you'll excuse the Admiral and I can give you my testimony?"

"Of course. Admiral Nelson, you can wait outside."

"But I. . . ."

Potter interjected, "Please wait outside, Admiral. I'm sure Commander Crane can speak for himself."

The stocky man reluctantly left the room. To his surprise he found not only Chip Morton but another man sitting on the benches outside the interrogation room. The other man was about Chip's height and several years older with dark hair, going gray at the temples. He wore the uniform of a naval commander, but said nothing to either Morton or Nelson.

Taking a seat next to Chip, Nelson kept glancing over at the distinguished looking officer in the corner seat. "Chip, do you know who he is?"

"No, he came with Lee, but hasn't said a word."

For a short time the Admiral and Morton made small talk, but it soon dwindled into silence which became overwhelming as every movement seemed to echo loudly in the corridor.

Desperately needing a cigarette, Nelson had just started to say he was going outside for a smoke when the door to the room opened and Lee poked his head out. Gesturing to the unknown man, he quietly said, "Adam, they're ready to hear from you now."

The commander followed Lee into the room and the door closed behind them.

"What. . .what do you make of that?" Morton asked.

"I. . .don't know. You're sure you don't know who he is?"

"Never saw him before."

For the next forty-five minutes the door didn't open again. Nelson took five minutes to have a cigarette outside, but other than that brief interlude, the two men remained on vigil until finally the door opened and five people emerged from the room.

Senator Murray smiled at Nelson, but followed his grim-faced colleagues down the corridor. Crane and 'Adam' came over to stand in front of Chip and Nelson. "Well, Admiral, I think the interviews are over for now. We might have to talk before the whole committee at some point but I doubt it."

"What? What do you mean?"

"They're going to recommend that the missions remain classified and not made public. They have also decided that I'm fit to remain in command for the present time." Lee tried not to smile but it was difficult.

"But how? I don't understand."

Before Lee could answer, 'Adam' spoke up. "Lee, I'm going back to the hotel now. I'll call you before I leave."

Crane took Adam's right hand in his two hands. "I appreciate your coming here to help, Adam."

Adam gave him a quick smile. "It was worth it. Be happy."

Without glancing back, the commander left the three men behind.

The question in two sets of blue eyes was obvious to Crane who took up the challenge. "Why don't we go up to the penthouse and I'll explain about Adam?"

Ten minutes later the three command officers were seated, with drinks in their hands, in the sumptuous living room of Nelson's penthouse.

"I'm sorry that I couldn't tell both of you what I intended to do, but I wasn't sure that I could persuade ONI to release the information and I didn't want to raise your hopes for nothing."

"ONI? What do they have to do with this?" Nelson demanded.

"Adam worked for ONI until last Friday. He called me to say that he heard about what Nicholls had said. He wanted me to know that he had been investigating him for some time and that he had discovered that Nicholl's is actually an agent for the People's Republic, planted here as a freelance newspaper reporter. He believes that Nicholl's was just waiting for the opportunity to make trouble for you, Admiral and of course embarrass our government."

"Nicholls was a deliberate plant?"

"Exactly. Since they haven't been able to figure out a way to defeat SEAVIEW militarily they decided to be more devious and destroy her creator's reputation." "But how. . .I mean why didn't the Chief of Staff tell me that when we talked?"

"Evidently ONI was waiting to inform the President until Nicholls made his intentions clear. I. . .we, Adam and I pressured them into doing so a bit early."

Chip took a gulp of his whisky. "You'll have to explain that one."

Crane sighed with exhaustion. "Once Adam told me about Nicholls, I knew that the only chance we had was to tell the committee, but ONI had told Adam not to confirm his findings until they gave him permission or they'd make trouble for him. Adam resigned and called me. Together we went to see Admiral Johnson and convinced him that it was in the best interest of all if he agreed to let Adam talk to the committee."

"That was brave of your friend."

"Yes it was. Adam Gordon is an honorable man. I've worked with him and he wouldn't let a friend be sacrificed if he could do something about it."

"So do you think it's all over, Lee?"

"I'm not sure, Chip, but from what the committee said after I discussed my actions in command, they decided that it wasn't in the best interests of the country to admit that the Captain of SEAVIEW plus a true national hero were under suspicion on the words of a enemy agent. Potter and Travis grumbled, but didn't seem to want my head so hopefully it will die down soon once the committee makes its recommendation."

"Let's hope you're right. I think we could all use some peace and quiet for awhile, particularly now that I've told Delores that I don't think we should see each other anymore."

"What? When did this happen?"

"Well, when I took her out the other night, she was angry when I said that I had to be at NIMR on Sunday. She dumped some salsa on my head and that was it for me!"

"Well, I can understand that!"

"Yeah, maybe if it had been guacamole, but that stuff was spicy! Do you know how embarrassing it was to have to go to the infirmary and tell Jamie I had salsa in my ears?"

Harri and Lee burst out laughing while Chip pouted slightly before he announced, "And I thought you two were my friends!"

"Well, I'm just happy that we seemed to have survived another effort by the People's Republic. In fact, I'm so delighted, I'll take us all out to dinner, what do you say?" offered the Admiral.

Chip's mouth twisted slightly. "Umm, thanks, Admiral, but actually I've made plans for this evening. There's this new nurse at the infirmary and. . . ."

"You don't have to say anymore, Chip. Enjoy your evening and stay away from Mexican restaurants."

"Thanks. I'm taking her to Marcelino's. I'll see you both tomorrow."

As soon as Chip left, Nelson walked over to Lee. "I think the Exec likes to live dangerously."

"He always has when it comes to women," Crane admitted.

"So would you like to go out to eat or order in?"

"Well, I'm not all that hungry. Maybe I'll just go back to my place."

Nelson stood there stunned. "Why? I thought. . .don't you want to be with me?"

"Harri, perhaps we'd better cool it. We've survived this scare, but now our enemies are on the alert so they'll be looking for ways of destroying you. I meant it when I said I wouldn't be the cause of you losing your life's work."

"Lee. . ."

"I'm serious, Admiral. I know that I've let you down on some of the missions and you've always understood and forgiven me, but I don't want there ever to be a day when you can't understand or forgive."

Nelson started to grab Crane by the shoulders, but then backed off to ask, "Is that the truth or does your friend Adam have something to do with this?"

"I don't know what you mean? Adam Gordon is a good friend, that's all."

"Is it? He resigned from ONI so that he could help you. He must be a very good friend."

Crane rubbed at one temple. "What do you want me to say? That we were lovers? Well, we were for a short time, not long after I joined ONI. He was the seasoned veteran and took me under his wing, but he knew that what I really wanted was sub command so when I got my first boat, we said goodbye."

"Obviously, he didn't forget you."

"We talked once in awhile. He told me he was becoming disillusioned with ONI and wanted out, but never could take the final step. I guess this time he was able to."

"For you."

"And himself. After we went to see Admiral Johnson, we did a great deal of talking. I told him that I was already in a committed relationship. He said he understood and wished me well. You don't have to be concerned about him. I think he just wants to find some peace for himself-no more intrigue and killing."

"I hope he finds it."

"Me too. He deserves it. I don't like to think what might have happened if he hadn't called me and told me about Nicholls."

"I wish you had told me."

Lee's eyes averted from the blue gaze. "I was going to run if it hadn't worked out. I thought if I sent a message to the President taking the blame then they'd leave you alone."

"Dammit, Lee, how could you think of doing something like that? I need you."

"But you don't need your reputation smeared all over the papers! I did try to sabotage SEAVIEW, I did try to kill you and who knows what I might do in the future? Don't you know it would kill me if I were responsible for your death or the loss of SEAVIEW?" Crane took a deep breath, trying to calm down. "Please, Harri, we have to be sensible. We can still be friends."

"No, we can't, Lee. Now that I've loved you, I can't go back to not wanting to touch you, be with you, make love to you. Can you truly say you can?"

"If I. . .have to."

Nelson closed in on the taller man. "But you don't have to. It won't be easy, but when have we ever had it easy? I just know I can't get along without you-all of you. The question is; are you willing to savor the life we can have together or let all the pressure tear us apart?"

"You really want me that much?"

"More."

Crane hesitated and then nodded. "Alright, we'll try. If it goes wrong, we'll become tuna fisherman on the Silver Dream. You can be Captain and I'll be First Mate."

"Only mate, you mean."

Crane wrapped his long arms around his lover and gave him a deep kiss. "Umm, that was worth waiting for. Uh, I don't know about you, but I think we should forego dinner for a little feast in the bedroom. What do you think?"

"My sentiments entirely and then tomorrow we'll get up and I'll make us a huge breakfast to make up for it!"

Crane's mouth dropped open. "But. . .you, I never stay overnight here."

"Then this will be the first of many times. I meant it, Lee, I need you-not just at the beach house or on SEAVIEW-everywhere."

"How about on Jiggs Starke's desk at COMSUBPAC?"

"What?"

Crane broke into a laugh. "Just kidding but how about we go down to your office? I've always fancied taking you on your desk!"

The Admiral blinked and then promised, "Tomorrow. Tonight, I want to find you in my bed."

"Hmm, that gives me an idea. I'm going to send a note to all the local papers. I can see the headlines now: NELSON MAKES MONUMENTAL DISCOVERY."

"Oh, I did that a long time ago. In fact, I think it was the day a certain midshipman walked into my class and took a seat in the first row. I knew then who I wanted."

"Well, then sir, let's go into the bedroom and we'll see if I can pass your rigorous exam."

VVVVVV

The Captain passed with flying colors.

 

THE END