Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Character:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 6 of Dr Who Crack Crossover Drabbles
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
615
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
1,384

Dr. Who Crack Crossover Drabble #6

Summary:

Dr. Who/Keeping Up Appearances -- Richard Bucket didn't always work behind a desk.

Work Text:

Richard Bucket stopped in the hallway. He was careful not to scuff the floor. He stood very still, listening. Something was off.

He shook his head ruefully. “She’s off at Liz’s. No wonder it’s quiet.” He giggled. “I’d forgotten what quiet sounds like.”

Suddenly, another sound filled the house. It was different from Hyacinth’s shrill voice. It was a siren he hadn’t heard in some time. However, it was still unmistakable.

A blue police box materialized four feet in front of him. His jaw dropped and his eyes got wide. //It can’t be. Oh, no! It’ll mark the floor! Hyacinth will kill me!//

The door opened and a sharp voice filtered out. “You wonder why the Time Lords grounded you. You can’t steer the bloody thing.”

“No one forced you to come along,” another angry voice retorted.

“You locked me in!”

The other voice doubled in intensity. “I wanted to try someplace different from your quarters.”

The first voice matched it. “You’ll be lucky if I agree to anything more in the future.”

There was a short silence and the second voice was subdued. “Umm, the doors are open.”

Another short silence and the first voice was exasperated. “Oh, Doctor.”

“Let’s see where we are, shall we?”

Richard could only stare when he saw the white haired man in the black velvet cape and frilly white shirt. Then he jumped to startled attention upon sight of the mustached man in the green uniform. He saluted. “Sir!”

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart returned it. He studied Richard closely. “Who are you?”

Richard was still at attention. “I was one of your men, Sir.”

Lethbridge-Stewart walked up to Richard. “At ease, man.” He stared him up and down. “Corporal Bucket.”

Richard stomped on the urge to correct the Brigadier’s pronunciation. Suddenly, he wondered what would happen if Hyacinth were there and did such a thing. If one man could handle the whirlwind that was his wife, it was Lethbridge-Stewart.

The Doctor smiled and held a hand out. “Bucket. How are you, old chap?”

Richard shook it. “Well, thanks. I see that you still haven’t quite got the old girl working properly.”

The Doctor rubbed his chin. “Not as yet, but I’m getting closer. What year is it?”

“1997.”

Lethbridge-Stewart turned to the Doctor. “Doctor--”

The Doctor held a hand up. “I know.”

Richard stepped in before another argument could develop. “I hate to interrupt, gentlemen, but do you mind moving that thing before my wife gets home.”

Lethbridge-Stewart looked pointedly at the Doctor. “Of course.”

The Doctor smiled apologetically. “Yes. I’m sorry. Goodbye.” He swept into the TARDIS.

“Bucket, I trust you remember your UNIT oath?” the Brigadier asked formally.

Richard came to attention and saluted again. “Yes, Sir. I won’t say a word.”

Lethbridge-Stewart nodded crisply. “Good man.” He followed the Doctor into the TARDIS. “I hope you can get us back to the proper time.”

“I shall do my best,” the Doctor returned sarcastically.

Richard watched the TARDIS dematerialize. He chuckled and went into the kitchen for a cup of coffee.

A half hour later, he heard Hyacinth come in the front door. “I’m home, Richard!” she called imperiously.

He came out to greet her. “Did you have a nice chat with Liz?” He found her standing where the TARDIS had been. She was glaring at the floor with her hands on her hips. His heart sank. “What’s wrong?”

She straightened up and clicked her tongue between her teeth. “You’ve scuffed my woodblock.”

“Sorry,” Richard offered sheepishly.

Hyacinth’s eyes fluttered in irritation. “Oh, Richard. What will I do with you? It’s at these moments that I miss my Sheridan.”

“Why don’t you let me take you to town for some shopping?” he suggested.

She grabbed his arm and dragged him to the door. “What a wonderful suggestion!”

Richard sighed. His pocketbook was not going to like this. He almost wished he would’ve gone with the Doctor.

Series this work belongs to: