Actions

Work Header

Dr. Who Crack Crossover Drabble #3

Summary:

There's something odd going on and even Gil can't figure it out.

Work Text:

Jim nodded towards two men speaking to a uniformed officer. “They found the body in their room.”

Gil followed Jim’s gaze. The first had short dark hair and mustache. He wore casual clothes but stood very tall and stiff, obviously military. The other had a mane of white hair and wore a ruffled bright red shirt with white lace cuffs. He leaned against the wall, arms folded across his chest and smirked back at Gil.

Gil lowered his voice to a whisper, “Is there a pirate convention in town that I don’t know about?”

“Argh. No. I think that’s the way he always dresses.” Jim chuckled quietly. “Get this, Mr. Puffy Shirt gave his name as Dr. John Smith, but he asked that we just call him the Doctor.”

Gil arched an eyebrow at Jim. “If he was going to make up a false name, he should have at least come up with something original.”

Jim shrugged. “That’s the name on his ID and, if it’s a fake, it’s a very good fake.” He paused for a moment and continued dead pan, “That might explain the clothes. He wants to be different from all the other John Smiths.”

One end of Gil’s mouth quirked up but he refused to laugh, not at a crime scene. “And his friend?”

“Gordon Stewart. They’re tourists from England. They checked into the hotel three days ago.”

Gil noticed that Smith was still watching them. He got an odd feeling in the pit of his stomach. However, he didn’t react and walked into the hotel room with Jim trailing closely behind him. He set his case on the stand just inside the doorway. “Do we have an ID on our vic?”

“Not yet,” Jim answered dryly. “John Smith and friend found John Doe.”

Gil frowned. “There is something off about them.”

Jim sighed. “They’re not what they appear that’s for sure.”

“But that doesn’t make them killers.” Gil crouched down next to the body. “Is David on his way?”

Jim stood behind Gil. “Yeah.”

Gil studied the corpse. The man’s skin had a bluish tint and there was a pool of blood beneath him. He glanced at Jim over his shoulder. “There’s something off about Mr. Doe, too.”

“Being dead does tend to ruin a man’s health.”

Gil straightened up. Jim didn’t bother moving and they stood very close together. “No,” Gil hissed. “That’s not what I mean.”

Jim touched Gil’s elbow. “What do you mean?”

Gil turned and looked down at the body. “Look at the way he’s lying and that blood doesn’t look right.”

They heard movement in the hall and Jim smoothly stepped back. “We’ll be able to see more when David gets here and we roll him.”

Suddenly, Smith was in the doorway. His eyes flickered to the body before he inclined his head politely. “I hate to be a bother, gentlemen, but I expect you shall be here a while longer. You have our information. May my friend and I leave?”

Gil didn’t see the fear, pity, or disgust usually present from people who discovered dead bodies. He saw scientific curiosity in Smith’s eyes. “Could you tell me exactly how you found the body first?”

“Oh, it’s very simple. I came out of the bathroom and almost stumbled over it,” Smith answered in an off-hand manner.

“And you didn’t hear anything?”

“Sounds of a fight or a scream?” Jim added.

Smith rubbed his chin in thought. “No.”

“So, there’s a dead guy in your room and you have no idea how he got here,” Jim said incredulously.

The grin on Smith’s face seemed to come out of nowhere. “Well, I was rather busy.”

“Doctor, please,” Stewart’s exasperated voice snapped from the hall.

Smith shot his companion a sheepish grin. “My dear fellow, there is no reason to get worked up. We shall be home soon.” He shifted his focus back to Gil and Jim. “I trust that I don’t have to provide details.”

Jim cleared his throat. “No, thank you.”

//That does explain the shirt.// Gil shook his head. This case just felt weird. He hated that word but it was the only one that seemed to fit.

There was a fizzing, popping sound and a rancid odor filled the air. Gil looked to see the corpse rapidly disintegrating. Within a matter of seconds, there was nothing left besides a large burn mark on the rug.

Smith and Stewart had moved further into the room to see. “Did you know that would happen?” the latter asked.

Smith rubbed the back of his neck and didn’t meet his friend’s eyes. “No, but I can’t say that I’m surprised.”

Stewart shook his head. “Typical.”

Jim pointed at the floor. “Did that really just happen?”

Gil was silent for a long moment. For once, he didn’t have an explanation. “Yes.”

Smith rubbed his hands together. “Well, gentlemen,” he said brightly. “I suggest you report this as a false alarm. Now, we really must be going.” He took Stewart by the arm and they started walking out. “The Liberace Museum and then home.”

“Doctor,” Stewart tried, but sounded as if he knew he was going to lose.

“You promised.”

A resigned sigh. “So, I did.”

Gil and Jim were left staring at each other. “I normally wouldn’t turn down a challenge,” Gil began.

“But just this once,” Jim finished for him. He gave a lopsided smile. “Come on, Gil. Let’s knock off early and get a drink.”

Gil grinned back. “That’s the best idea I’ve heard all day.”

Series this work belongs to: