Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,299
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
18
Hits:
1,360

Halloween Stake out

Summary:

Somethings not right on Stakeout

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Halloween Stakeout
 
It was a Halloween night. The bright, silver moon sat high in the sky. As if by some cruel twist of fate, Starsky and Hutch had pulled the graveyard shift. Every year, the officers at Metro ran a pool seeing which pair would pull the Halloween shift. This year it was them. On top of that, an anonymous call came in about a big drug buy going down. So, the two detectives had been assigned surveillance duty on a rundown, disused warehouse. 
Rubbing his hands over his face, Hutch moaned, “This has got to be someone’s idea off a joke. Ya’ know what, Starsk? I bet someone downtown call in the phoney tip just to get us out here. 
“Lighten up, will you’ it’s part of the job.” Starsky looked over, smiling, and asked. “Who do you think it is then?”

“I bet it was Wilson, the bastard.”

“He always said he would get us for the prank we pulled on him.  Now here we are outside an old building. All that’s missing is the fog, for crying out loud.”

Twisting his long, trim body sideways like a snake, Hutch retrieved the binoculars from the back seat and started watching the warehouse. Starsky retrieved the thermos of fresh coffee and poured a cup, taking a drink he passed it over to Hutch. After a few moments, Starsky turned in his seat and asked, “Do you believe in ghosts, Hutch?”

“No,” Hutch replied simply, hoping to nip this conversation in the bud.

“Why?” Starsky pushed. 

Now warming to the topic, Hutch pondered the question some more. When he was satisfied, he answered his partner.

 “Don’t know. Guess because I’ve never seen one.”

Keeping his eyes fixed on the warehouse, Hutch asked. “Have you ever seen one?”

“Nah, but then again I haven’t seen a million bucks before, and we know that exist.”

Flashing a brilliant smile, Hutch answered. “You got me there buddy.”

Handing the binoculars over, and shuffling down further into his seat, Hutch got ready for a long, cold night.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, a man drunkenly walked into view by the warehouse.  Pointing at where the man had been, Starsky asked, “Did you see the condition that man was in?”

“Yeah,” Hutch replied, chuckling.

“Guess he won’t be cold tonight hah. Wonder what he’s doing down here?” Starsky wondered out loud.
 
Both sat in silence for a long moment, watching the man stagger about until disappearing from their view.

“Think we better move him along before things go down?” Starsky asked, concern in his voice for the safety of the drunk.

“Yeah. We can give the place the once over while we’re there.”

Grabbing their flashlights from the glove compartment, the two left the warmth of the Torino and slowly walked over to investigate where they had last seen the man appear.  Splitting up, they went in different directions. And Starsky soon noticed the man appear in front of him. 
 “Stop! Police!” Starsky shouted trying to get the man’s attention.

However, the man didn’t seem to hear him, and kept going. Starting to feel panicked, though unsure why, Starsky started to run, as whoever it was still headed in Hutch’s direction. 

He ran towards the drunk, but the man disappeared round the corner before Starsky could reach him.  Starsky picked up speed, like a big cat after it’s prey. Starsky was desperate to reach Hutch for back-up.  As he rounded the corner, however, he ran straight into his surprised partner knocking the wind out of him.
 Hutch huffed, “Starsky, what the hell are you doing?”

Leaning against the wall, Hutch tried to catch his breath.

“Did you see him, Hutch?”

 “No, he didn’t come this way.”

Frustrated, Starsky cursed, “Damn, he moves fast for a drunk.”

Resting his hand on his friends shoulder, Hutch squeezed it slightly. Amusement was unmistakable in his voice as Hutch spoke. “Starsky, it’s Halloween. Maybe it was a ghost or something.”

“Very funny smart ass. C’mon, we’d better check it out. ”

Hutch followed after his partner, soon reaching the large warehouse doors.  They paused for a short moment. Light blue eyes gazed into dark blue ones in familiar silent communication. Message received and understood. Be careful.   

Entering the large building, the first thing Starsky and Hutch noticed was a putrid smelled that hit them. Like death hanging in the air, it made them both feel nauseated. The large room was dark and dirty. The windows were coved in some kind of dark paint and were all closed.  The smell intensified the further in the two detectives went.

“Shit, what the hell’s that rotten, disgusting smell?” Starsky asked.
   
Breathing in the offending smell, Hutch almost gagged. “Smells like something died in here.” The two detectives walked around the edges of the room first. They checked the shelves, and the cluttered trash that lay all over the floor. 
Putting the flashlight up to his face, Starsky said, “It’s spooky in here.”

Hutch was about to answer when he spotted a pile of boxes stacked in the corner. A pair of what looked like work boots were sticking out from behind them. Motioning quietly to his partner, the two detectives both reached for their guns. 

As they walked nearer, the smell grew much stronger making them both feel ill. Both Starsky and Hutch fought the instinct to run outside and vomit. Instead, they carried on knowing something wasn’t right. Feeling confident they hadn’t been seen, they raised their guns and stepped around the boxes to get a closer look. The two detectives stopped dead at the sight before them. Hutch looked to Starsky, seeing the horrified look on his partner’s face, and knowing his own mirrored it. Starsky disappeared back behind the boxes, and Hutch could hear him retching. Hutch’s own stomach rebelled in sympathy at the ghastly find, but somehow managed to keep it in.  Coming back around and looking a little sheepish and pale, Starsky wiped his mouth with the back off his hand. 

“I feel like a fucking new cadet again. Just brought my lunch up.”

Hutch looked up at him, sympathy held in his sad eyes. “Don’t be hard on yourself, Starsk. I’m about to do the same.”

 Hutch then forced himself to look back at the body, against his stomach’s better judgment. The person looked to have been dead for a while, half- eaten by rats, and other small rodents. The face was mangled beyond all recognition. No way of tell the age or sex at this stage. 

 The body was dressed in shabby black pants, which look like they had seen much better days, and a dirty blue shirt along with a long black coat.  Gazing down at their horrifying find, Starsky shook his head. “Poor bastard.”  

“Yeah, wonder how long he’s been here? Better call it in, Starsk. Get the coroner and team up here. Sort this mess out.”

 Glad for the excuse, Starsky rushed from the building. 
After putting in the call to metro, Starsky headed back in the direction of the warehouse. From the corner of his eye though, Starsky noticed the man they had seen earlier. Making his way over to the man so he could ask some questions, and see if he new or saw anything. Starsky suddenly stopped dead in his tracks. As he started to realise this guy was wearing the exact some clothes as the corpse they had just discovered. Unable to move, Starsky watched as the man smiled, to revealing a mouthful of black, rotten teeth. He seemed to mouth out a thank you, then nodded and vanished. Starsky felt a cold chill run right through his whole body. Shaking, he made himself join his partner’s side, all the while thinking Hutch will never believe this.
         
                                                                                   The
                                                                                    End
 

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Davids Kaz.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.