Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
591
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,116

Not quite strangers

Summary:

Fandom: BtVS/AtS
Characters: Spike/Xander
Rating/Warnings: PG no specific warnings.
Summary: Xander keeps looking and one day he is rewarded when the blond is the blond he's been looking for.
Submitted through http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spike_Slash

Work Text:

 

 

Not quite strangers
by Lilithangel
abchainey@xtra.co.nz
He didn't know why he kept looking every time a blond head flashed past his blinkered vision.  Alright so maybe he did know, maybe some part of him refused to believe the irritating, irrepressible force was gone.  Maybe he didn't want to accept that the things he should have said before could never be said.The things he went back to the crater that had been Sunnydale and said just because he didn't like leaving it the way they had left it.Even in his time in Africa the occasional blond head or English accent would stop his breath for a moment and then the rapid beating of his heart would start it again.  Of course some days in the draining heat and overwhelming foreignness he clung to his memories of Sunnydale as the only thing real in his life.He told himself it was bordering on obsession and had nothing to do with the relationship they had had when Spike was around but it was the hints of something more that had been there in those later days that fuelled it.  That and his guilt at letting Spike be the sacrifice when all he did was fail to get Dawn out.He knew he was a different man now and perhaps that was why he regretted Spike's loss.  This new man would have got on well with Spike and would have been able to admit his attraction for the abrasive blond. So in the end he wasn't surprised to look around in a bar and finally see those familiar blue eyes and sharp cheekbones.  It did take a few moments to accept that it wasn't just another hallucination.  He wasn't in Africa anymore he was standing in a pub in England and it was only his first beer.He knew his wide smile of recognition was probably too much but he just couldn't care and had to be amused by the startled look he got in return."Harris." Spike nodded warily, "heard you were in Africa.""Spike," he said, "heard you were dust."Spike laughed, "Stories were exaggerated as you can see.""I'm glad," he said and he had to smile at the surprise.  "You deserved to go out a hero but I'm glad you're still around.""You're the first," Spike said quietly."The others know?" somehow he isn't surprised that nobody thought to tell him.  Africa aside it was taking time for everyone to find a balance in their new world.Spike nodded, "they were happy but there was lots of suspicion thanks to Angel and Evil Inc.  Not surprising really.""Beer?" he asked signalling the bartender at Spike's nod.It was easy to slip into the old pattern of drinking with Spike over a pool table.  The conversation was stilted as they filled each other in on activities since Sunnydale.  There were gaps in both retellings but neither pushed.So much had changed since they last met it was like rediscovering an old friend in a stranger.  When their hands accidentally brushed Xander didn't flinch away and when they sat down to finish their beers Spike didn't move his leg from where their thighs touched.There was a promise of more in twin heated gazes and yet no desire to move too fast as neither intended to allow the other to be lost again. He hadn't been surprised to see Spike again because he had never stopped looking.
END
abchainey@xtra.co.nz
http://www.livejournal.com/users/lilithbint