Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
367
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,174

Sword

Summary:

answer to the 1 word challenge at SexyOldMenslash for sword -- fandom: The Last Legion -- Ambrosinus/Demetrius slash

Work Text:

The sword of Julius Caesar rested in the stone. The stone sat on a small hill. The keeper of the sword sat not too far away under a tree.

Ambrosinus took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Vortgyn and his evil tyranny were dead. The young boy Romulus Augustus Caesar was alive and well in his new country of Britannica. The sword was safe.

Ambrosinus shut his eyes. The conflict was over, at least for the time being. His home was finally at peace.

He touched his chest, traced the scar under his robe. It no longer throbbed when he touched it. Finally, he could rest, until the sword called him back to duty.

He felt a welcome presence. He didn’t move. “Demetrius,” he greeted.

The soldier slid down to sit against the tree, next to Ambrosinus. “I came to thank you,” he said quietly.

“For what?” Ambrosinus asked. He didn’t get a response and opened his eyes to look at Demetrius.

Demetrius held Ambrosinus’ gaze. “For saving Caesar. For healing Batiatus. For killing Vortgyn.” He gave a lopsided smile. “Is there anything I’m forgetting?”

“You’re welcome.”

Demetrius stared at Ambrosinus’ chest. He chewed on his bottom lip. “Batiatus, Aurelius, and me are the only ones left of our old legion. Don’t tell him I’m saying this, but I don’t know what I’d do without him.”

Ambrosinus chuckled. “Your secret’s safe with me.”

Demetrius shifted his gaze to the resting sword. “The war’s really over.”

Ambrosinus watched Demetrius. “Yes.”

Demetrius’ focus didn’t waver. However, his hand moved to rest on the ground next to Ambrosinus’. He barely touched with his fingertips. “I’ve been fighting for as long as I can remember. Now what?”

Ambrosinus smiled. “Live in peace.”

“Will you be staying with us in the village?” Demetrius asked hopefully.

“No, but I’ll be close by.”

Demetrius still kept his face towards the sword. “So, we’ll still see a lot of you.”

Ambrosinus nodded. “Yes. Romulus is still my student.”

Demetrius’ shoulders slumped. “Yes. Romulus.”

“And I will be there for anyone else who needs me as well.”

Demetrius finally looked at Ambrosinus again. The lopsided smile was back. “Really?”

Ambrosinus squeezed Demetrius’ hand. “Really.”

An excited shout came from the direction of the village. “Ambrosinus!”

Ambrosinus squeezed Demetrius’ hand again and climbed to his feet. “Young Caesar calls.”