Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
384
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
847

Walking the dog

Summary:

The dog in question .. well based on a true story.

Work Text:

Walking the dog.
by Bluesky

 

Morning never used to be like this. A warm gust of canine scented breath wafted across Scully's face and mouth. For a brief second she tasted second hand the vaguely Jell-O like smell of Queequeg dog food. Note to self. change brands. This one had too much ground bone in it.

The dog seldom barked, was wonderfully house broken, never was demanding, and enjoyed what ever attention she gave to him, without being to demanding.

A wonderful pet for an apartment.

And it gave her the opportunity to go for walks without feeling guilty about being self indulgent, to be slow in the park, to indulge in enjoying the sun, smelling flowers. Having men stop and talk to her about her dog. And women too, and children. A dog was such a great way to meet people. A nice looking guy that she had seen almost every day for over a year stopped to talk to her. Too bad that Queequeg had peed on his leg. Scully snickered to her self, despite the charming way that he had approached her the look on his face had been one of shocked horror. Apologies. Left him standing there with a stunned look on his face.

Mulder would have taken it in stride, made some sort of comment about marking rituals, and ownership and dry-cleaning, and laughed it off.

Queequeg was always watching her. IT was something that all dogs did to there owners. Mulder explained this to her over popcorn and a very cheesy movie, as the dog sat and stared at her intently. Guilty she fed it some popcorn. Queequeg was more interested in licking the butter off or her fingers. OR was he tasting her?

When she open a can of dog food, he always looked down at it, sniffed, then looked up.. Waged his tail, grateful. but hoping for something ... else or different.

Oh Dear. Why did she have to think about that?

He had been a starving dog, not fed for perhaps days, when his mistress passed away. She tried to forget the sight of the shredded flesh, the lips chewed away, the fingers gnawed off.

It was not his fault.

And he was such a good dog. So quiet as he sat and watched her. All the time.

 

END