Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
489
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
763

Novel(so far)

Summary:

Rating: Teen (to be safe)
Warnings: Massive population die offs, disease, first draft, Original fiction
Summary: Not sure yet
Novel
Submitted through Makebelieve_YG

Work Text:

 

Novel(so far)
by Phynix

 

Sarah strode to the window and peered through the curtains at the rain on the front lawn. She couldn't help but wonder who else had survived the plague. Would Matt make it to her little stronghold? Had he even survived? Would the government restore order and services like water and power soon? Was there any government left?

Some how she didn't think so. The plague had appeared out of nowhere over night. It had baffled scientists because there seemed to be no `chain of infection'. It was like the very atmosphere of the planet had been seeded with this plague that no one had ever seen before. There was nothing anyone could do to stop it. It ripped through the populations of rich and poor, advanced and primitive nations all over the globe, and nothing the doctors, scientists, or local healers of any kind did could even slow it down.

Somehow, Sarah, and others, had known that something was coming for years. No one jus knew when, what, how, or why. That was the reason Sarah had bought her little house in the hills, even though it meant an hour and a half daily commute. She had been digging into the hill her house sat on and roughing out rooms for years. That same something had compelled her to plant crops and get some livestock. Not much just 3 cows, a horse, a few sheep (3-5), some goats, and a handful of chickens.

Most of the people who knew Sarah just thought she was paranoid when they saw the safety system that she put in around the perimeter of her land. Only a few even knew about the rooms in her hill, and only five had any clue as to what was in them.

The first cases of the plague had started showing up about a month and a half before. They showed up all over the world. None of the scientists or doctors could identify what was making people sick and then killing them. No one knew where it had come from, how it spread, or how long people had actually been infected.

At first the doctors thought it might be a new type of encephalitis because of the symptoms. But it didn't respond to any of the antibiotic or antiviral treatments they tried. It started with a high fever and a headache. Then a paralysis set in that became progressively worse. For some people the paralysis extended to vital systems and they died. Others died from an aneurism, or the high fever.

When the first plague victims showed up, something in Sarah's mind/soul clicked and she started stocking up on supplies, and making plans with Mikey, their friends, and any contacts that they could reach.

 

 

end this part

A/N: this is just the first page. there is more forthcoming, I only have Ch 1 so far, but I do have an idea as to where this should go.