Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 39 of Of Innocence and Empathy
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
422
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
1,778

Of Innocence and Empathy: Uncertain Empathy

Summary:

Series: Of Innocence and Empathy
Beta: None
Rating: FRT-13, non-explicit slash
Disclaimer: I don't own them. Damnit.
Challenge: 50episodes – Criminal Minds, Morgan/Reid
Table: 2
Prompt: 32. Lessons
Word Count: 396
Author's Note: Eighth in the Of Innocence and Empathy series
Author's Addendum: As my mother just died, I don't know when I will be continuing this series.

Work Text:

 

Of Innocence and Empathy: Uncertain Empathy
by Frogg

 

"Shouldn't that be in the break room?" Morgan asked as he entered the pit, nodding at the box of donuts sitting on Emily's desk.

JJ smothered a laugh, only glancing up at him from the paper she was reading. Emily smiled and took a sip of her coffee.

Hotch turned, donut in hand, and shrugged. "What Gideon doesn't know won't hurt him. And good morning," he added as an afterthought.

"What *Gideon* doesn't know? Gideon doesn't care! Who are you and what have you done with my boss? 'Cause the Hotch I know would have packed that box up and had it moved..."

"Hotch brought them in for the team," Emily explained. "We share the break room."

Somewhat mollified, Morgan glanced at Hotch for confirmation.

"It would have been cruel to leave them there with a note or something." Hotch picked up the box and held it out. "Here. Have one."

"Thanks." Morgan warily extracted one from the box, eyeing it as if he half-expected it to bite him. "Speaking of Gideon, shouldn't he be in by now?"

"Gideon's at the Martha Washington."

Morgan froze, donut halfway to his mouth. "The hospital?"

Hotch nodded. "Reid reinjured his back yesterday afternoon. They're keeping him hospitalized for a few days."

"What happened?"

"Someone needs to get that boy a cape and tights," Emily said, smirking.

"Listen. 'FBI Agent saves boy from semi, reinjures self,'" JJ read. "'One heroic rescue just wasn't enough for Dr. Spencer Reid, who was injured in a hostage situation this past Sunday. On medical leave, he went shopping yesterday afternoon and tackled three-year-old Charlie Dunham, saving the boy from being--Hey!" JJ stared at Morgan in indignation as he snatched the paper from her.

Dimly sensing someone carefully retrieving his donut, now forgotten, Morgan scanned the article, blood draining from his face.

Concerned silence, confused looks and shrugs passed between Hotch and JJ and Emily.

Phrases stuck, whirling through Morgan's mind : '...within the speed limit...chasing a squirrel...minor injuries...scrapes and bruises," his mother, Tracy Dunham said.' He shook his head in denial. "No. This isn't happening, it's not..."

"You're welcome," JJ said blandly as Morgan thrust the paper back into her hands.

"Morgan?"

Morgan stared at Hotch numbly, eyes wide and wild. His breath hitched, heartbeat thundering in his ears. "I have to, there's something...She didn't tell me!" he finally blurted, backing away before completely abandoning dignity. He turned and ran, heading down the hall towards Garcia's bunker.

 

~~~the end~~~

Series this work belongs to: