Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 36 of Of Innocence and Empathy
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
453
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,718

Of Innocence and Empathy: An Innocent Opportunity

Summary:

Series: Of Innocence and Empathy
Beta: None
Rating: FRT-13, non-explicit slash
Disclaimer: I don't own them. Damnit.
Challenge: 50episodes – Criminal Minds, Morgan/Reid
Table: 2
Prompt: 39. Need
Word Count: 443
Author's Note: Fifth in the Of Innocence and Empathy series
Author's Other Note: Tearjerker warning.

Work Text:

 

Of Innocence and Empathy: An Innocent Opportunity
by Frogg

 

Pain sank its claws into Spencer and dragged him from the vacuum of sleep, the fading effects of painkillers and sedatives no longer enough to offer an escape. Wincing at the movement, he rolled slowly to his back and inhaled deeply as the discomfort settled to match his heartbeat, a hot throb of agony focused at each cut.

Spencer froze mid-breath.

Derek. Fear.

That scent would forever be burned into Spencer's mind, the musk and cologne, the sharp copper tang of terror that had driven them together in the beginning, as it had driven Derek to his apartment tonight.

Forcing himself to think only of getting to the medications sitting on the kitchen counter, and not on whether or not Derek was still in his apartment, he managed to ease out of bed and to his feet.

He found Derek sitting in the living room, elbows on his knees, head bowed.

Derek looked up as Spencer came to a shuffling, unsteady halt, but said nothing to break the uncomfortable silence. After a long moment, he turned away, unable to maintain eye contact.

"I'm still here," Spencer said softly.

Derek swallowed hard. "I know." His voice was hoarse.

Spencer nodded, waiting for him to continue. "You're welcome to stay," he finally offered. You know where the guest room is."

"No." Derek whispered. "No, that's all right..."

Spencer nodded again, as if he'd known that woud be Derek's answer. Bracing himself for more pain, he shuffled through the living room to the kitchen, clumsily opening the child-proof canisters and setting out a row of pills. A gasp escaped him, then a whimper as he tried to reach up to get a glass for water; the movement pulled the stitches in his back.

"Here." A long arm all but filled Spencer's vision as Derek reached around him, plucking a plastic tumbler from the cabinet and filling it with water from the tap. "Need anything else?"

Spencer shook his head. "Just water, thank you." Grimacing, he took the half-dozen pills and washed them down.

"Before I forget..." Derek fished the key out of his pocket and set it on the counter.

Stiffening in disbelief, Spencer took the key and pressed it back into Derek's hand. "You're still having nightmares. You either keep the key, or I'll leave the door unlocked. Your choice." He stared Derek down, waiting until he'd clenched his jaw and turned away. "I'm going back to bed. You're welcome to the guest room." 'You're welcome to my bed if you'd just ask,' Spencer thought before he could stop himself.

Derek said nothing.

But Spencer could feel his gaze as he shuffled back to bed.

 

~~~the end~~~

Series this work belongs to: