Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 26 of Of Innocence and Empathy
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
418
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,796

Of Innocence and Empathy: A World Off Balance

Summary:

Series: Of Innocence and Empathy
Beta: Nilandia
Rating: FRT-13, non-explicit slash
Disclaimer: I don't own them. Damnit.
Challenge: 50episodes – Criminal Minds, Morgan/Reid
Table: 2
Prompt: 6. Balance
Word Count: 389
Author's Note: A prologue to the Of Innocence and Empathy series. The second of three missing scenes from the end of Revelations (or rather, a continuation of To Rescue Innocence, from a different point of view).

Work Text:

 

Of Innocence and Empathy: A World Off Balance
by Frogg

 

 

"Easy, I got you," Morgan murmured, letting Reid sort himself out.

Panting, Reid leaned heavily, holding his injured leg off the ground. "S-sorry," he gasped out, relaxing a little as Morgan pulled him closer.

"It's okay, we'll do this at your pace, all right?" Relieved that the locals had gone back to their vehicles, that he could afford the care Reid so badly needed, Morgan nuzzled Reid's hair, pressing a kiss to his sweat-slick temple. "It's just me here." Cold fury burned at Reid's attempts to appear smaller; Morgan locked it away.

A discreet cough made them both stiffen and look around warily to find Hotch watching a ways back in the woods.

"There's an ambulance waiting," Hotch said softly as he drew near, a curious mix of hatred and understanding on his face at the way Reid cringed, hiding in the shelter of Morgan's arms.

"No," Reid said immediately, shaking his head and shrinking back against Morgan. "No, please, it's not-not that bad, I--"

"Reid." Morgan ran a soothing hand over Reid's back; Reid turned, burying his face in Morgan's neck. "Hotch, there's nothing that can't wait 'til we get to the hospital. Broken foot maybe, cuts and bruises."

"Please no, please no, please no," Reid chanted almost silently into Morgan's throat, finally giving up on words and mouthing at salt-sweet skin.

Hotch was silent, taking in the way Reid clung to Morgan, the tremors ripping through his body, weighing physical health against mental. Then, one hand covering his earpiece, he spoke. "Gideon, leave one of the vehicles and tell the ambulance to follow. I'll drive us to the hospital."

Reid sagged in relief, almost overbalancing Morgan.

"Thanks, man," Morgan said. It was againt protocol, but this was beyond protocol. This was Reid.

Hotch nodded and came closer. "You're not going to be able to put weight on that foot." He reached out with his left hand, waited for Reid to take it and slide one arm over his shoulder. "You ever try a three-legged race?"

Morgan snorted, arranging himself under Reid's left arm, wrapping his right around the younger man's waist. "This is the five-legged version."

"Th-thanks..." Reid managed.

Hotch nodded curtly, exchanging a look with Morgan over Reid's bowed head, and pointed his flashlight at the ground ahead of them. "Let's get out of here."

 

~~~the end~~~

Series this work belongs to: