Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 22 of Of Innocence and Empathy
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
658
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,669

Of Innocence and Empathy: Love in the World

Summary:

Series: Of Innocence and Empathy
Beta: Fireness
Rating: uh. mentions of: a homosexual relationship, sexual abuse. I hate looking the ratings up now.
Disclaimer: I don't own them. Damnit.
Challenge: 50episodes – Criminal Minds, Morgan/Reid
Table: 2
Prompt: 16. Love
Word Count: 656
Author’s Note: Several weeks after Intimate Knowledge.
Submitted through CriminalMinds_slash

Work Text:

 

Of Innocence and Empathy: Love in the World
by Frogg

 

"Hello?"

"Hi, Mom," Derek said, stretching his free arm along the back of the couch.

Half-listening to the unintelligible murmurs from Derek's cellphone, Spencer took the opportunity to get closer, curling next to Derek and delicately tracing the muscles in his lover's chest with one finger.

Caught up in idle smalltalk, Derek caught Spencer's hand before he could cause trouble, kissed the offending digit and laced their fingers together.

Then, after Derek had caught up with the news in Chicago, "Listen, Mom, I wanted to call and tell you that...I'm seeing someone."

"Seriously?" Fran sounded guardedly excited.

Derek laughed. "Yeah, Mom, I wouldn't be telling you if I was on a first date or something."

"Does your team know?"

"Mom, if I didn't know better, I'd say they were matchmaking," he replied, rueful amusement heavy in his voice. He felt Spencer smile against his shoulder.

"Someone on the team then." There was a pause; Derek could here the thoughts flying through her head. "Please tell me it's not Agent Prentiss."

"Emily?" Surprised and somewhat dismayed, Derek blurted the name before he could stop himself. "Why?"

Spencer stiffened and looked up in confusion at the mention; Derek shook his head and soothed him silently, pressing a kiss to his knuckles.

"You know I hate talking poorly of other people, particularly those you work with, but she didn't seem to be sure of her place, and determined to make one at whatever cost," Fran explained. "She..." There was a heavy sigh. "She pulled rank on poor Dr. Reid."

"What?!" Derek leaned forward suddenly, nearly dumping Spencer on the floor. His eyes darkened with anger, muscles tensed for battle. "When was this?"

"When they were here trying to clear you."

Derek couldn't answer, too busy trying to slow his breathing, trying to wrap his mind around the fact that Emily wasn't playing fair with Spencer. Too busy crushing Spencer to him in an almost painful one-armed embrace, grateful that Spencer didn't protest and only pressed closer, turning his head to listen to the rapid beat of Derek's heart.

"Derek?"

"Mmhmm." The affirmative was growled amid harsh, choppy breathing.

"You're seeing him, aren't you? Dr. Reid?"

Derek could have cried at the gentle acceptance in her voice. Swallowing hard, he shoved the anger away, silently promising himself, promising Reid, that he'd take care of Emily later. "Yeah, Mom." The words trembled, his voice cracked.

"Do you love him?"

"More than I thought possible," Derek said on a pleased sigh, sinking back into the sofa cushions.

"Does he treat you well?"

"I don't deserve him."

"Yes, you do," Fran insisted.

"You deserve better," Spencer whispered into Derek's chest, causing a shiver and the tightening of Derek's hand in his hair.

Derek couldn't answer either of them, and sat in achingly comfortable silence for a long moment, Spencer curled on his lap.

Then, "Mom?"

"What is it, dear?" There was loving warmth in her voice audible even to Spencer.

"You don't seem surprised."

A low, amused laugh answered him. "Derek, I can hardly get a word in and ask about anyone on your team aside from Spencer."

Derek groaned, mortified.

"And," Fran went on hesitantly, "I remember Stephen, and the way you talked about him as a teenager. I didn't know why you stopped...I'd hoped you would talk to me, but I guess I thought you didn't like that part of yourself."

Breath caught in his throat, Derek swallowed.

"I'm sorry, I should have seen, should have known, something. That's something I'll--"

"Mom," Derek cut her off. "Mom, I'm okay. It's not your fault, I never wanted you to know. I never wanted anyone to know." He could sense his mother nodding.

"Forgive me for asking, but...Is Spencer helping?"

"He's amazing, Mom, really. I can't...He's everything I ever wanted, and a lot of things I never knew I needed." Derek could feel the heat of Spencer's blush against his chest.

"Good."

 

end

Series this work belongs to: