Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 18 of Of Innocence and Empathy
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
515
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
1,831

Of Innocence and Empathy: Intuition in Sight

Summary:

Series: Of Innocence and Empathy
Beta: None
Rating: uh. mention of a homosexual relationship? I hate looking the ratings up now.
Disclaimer: I don't own them. Damnit.
Challenge: 50episodes – Criminal Minds, Morgan/Reid
Table: 2
Prompt: 33. School
Word Count: 532
Author’s Note: Read after Innocence Lost in Thought and A World Awakening.
Submitted through CriminalMinds_slash

Work Text:

 

Of Innocence and Empathy: Intuition in Sight
by Frogg

 

Gideon absentmindedly contemplated the chessboard in front of him, rubbing his wrist with the opposite hand. Most of his attention was on Reid, fidgeting in the seat across from him.

Reid gripped the seat with both hands, then clasped one elbow with his other arm, then folded his hands on the edge of the table. Every few moments, his gaze would flicker to Gideon’s right, where Morgan was curled up in the corner by the tiny galley with a book and his headphones.

Deciding on his move, Gideon hovered one hand over a bishop. "You know, Morgan probably wouldn’t mind if you curled up with him on the couch. You look like you could use some more sleep," he added, giving Reid an excuse. It wasn’t a lie; Reid had deep circles beneath his eyes, shadows of blue and black exhaustion written in his skin.

Reid’s response was unexpected; he ducked his head and blushed, one hand scratching at the nape of his neck. "Th-that wouldn’t, um. Wouldn’t really help." He glanced furtively around the cabin, sighing in relief when he realized both Emily and JJ were asleep.

"Oh?"

Swallowing, Reid shook his head, cheeks turning a deeper red. He sat on his hands.

"Is it the more sleep that wouldn’t help, or being near Morgan?" Gideon kept his eyes on the chessboard, moving the bishop to take one of Reid’s pawns. "Your move."

Practically squirming in his seat, Reid couldn’t answer.

Gideon looked up at him and smiled, warmth and understanding in his eyes. "Then your stalemate is broken? Good. I’m glad."

Reid looked up at him blankly.

"The two of you have been seeking each other out for comfort and companionship for over a month. Did you really think I wouldn’t notice?" he asked gently.

"Isn’t--I thought, I..." Reid broke off in confusion, shaking his head, then gave a small squeak of startlement as Hotch slid onto the empty seat beside him. "N-nothing’s happened," he whispered.

"Of course not," Hotch said softly. "Morgan’s not about to let it happen away from home." He shrugged.

"B-but--"

"Spencer." Gideon’s voice was gentle, but firm. "Neither of you would have taken the next step without having thought through the consequences. You’re good for each other, and as long as that continues, I have no complaints."

Reid gulped, glancing nervously between Gideon and Hotch. Unable to find words, he licked his lips.

Hotch smiled, tilting his head towards Gideon."I just wanted you to know that you, and Morgan, have both of our support." Reaching out, he rested a hand on Reid’s shoulder. "If you need to talk, about anything, my door’s always open to you."

"And mine," Gideon added, nodding to Hotch as the younger man slid off the seat and backed up.

Reid blinked in confusion, visibly trying to calm his racing heart. "Th-thanks, I think."

"Finish your game, we’ll be landing pretty soon," Hotch said, turning to retake his customary seat in the corner.

Reid took one last glance behind Gideon, this time not trying to hid the wistful, longing look on his face before turning back to the chessboard with a sigh.

Gideon could only smile and hope.

 

end

Series this work belongs to: