Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
447
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
5
Hits:
1,146

Nightfall

Summary:

The sun sets on Estel's life.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

 

~Nightfall~

 

 

 

 

Silently, the elven-Prince waited, eyes cast up toward the darkening sky, observing the arrival of the stars. Beauty not found in this cold world of flesh and blood, he thought, where time is an Empress and all things must fall into decay. So often had those stars granted him respite, settled his soul, stilled his fearful trembling. Eternal and divine, they were a celestial shelter, refuge from the cruel realities of life and of death and the struggle for existence that he witnessed in all things.


Alas, this time, they offered little comfort.


Inside, behind a closed door, his beloved, his cherished one lay in a soft, warm bed, surrounded by those who cared for him and those that he loved, losing his battle against the cruel mistress that governed his being. Legolas could not watch. He had tried, had entered the room and laid eyes upon a creature that was not the man he loved. Old and grey and so terribly frail, a once strong warrior's heart rattling in a sunken chest. It was more than the elf could bear.


The ruined creature, that shadow of a life that was, did not recognize him and for that the Prince was thankful. They had gazed at each other as strangers might, for a moment that had felt like an age. Then pale blue eyes had fluttered closed and Elrond had told him that Estel needed rest. Legolas had nodded and left the room and though he had said nothing, he had known that he would not return. Death hung too heavily in the air in that room, clung like a shroud to Estel's decaying form. Legolas could feel it, the imminent setting of the sun, on the only soul he had ever loved. And it hurt him inside.


Their time together had been too short. He realized all at once and with great sorrow that the life of his companion had passed in but a blink of his immortal eye and he despaired for wasted moments and for days that would never come again. He regretted harsh words and senseless altercations, lamented those things that were left undone and words that had never been said.


Their time was gone, their day in the sun had passed and as night fell, on a dark and unforgiving world, so too it fell on their love, unspoken, unrealized... and over.


~The End~

 

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Arsenic.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.