Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
299
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
1,088

Emergency

Summary:

Nena wants some attention.

This fluffy drabble is a follow up to Trying to Have a Weekend.

Work Text:

Emergency--

Sitting at the table with Alan and Charlie, Colby rubbed his eyes. “So, Charlie has class until eleven-thirty but he gets grabbed afterwards so he won’t be home until one at the earliest.  You need to leave at eleven-forty-five for your lunch with Janet, so that’s over an hour uncovered.  If it was longer, you could drop her at Martina’s, but she always makes me pay for a whole day even if it’s just an hour.”

“Daddy!” Nena said, pulling at his arm.  “You said we’d go to the park!”

“Hang on a sec, honey,” Colby said.  “We’re trying to make tomorrow work.”

“I can cancel lunch with Janet,” Alan offered.

“No, no,” Colby said quickly.  “You’re not my personal babysitter.”

“I don’t mind.”

Colby smiled crookedly.  “Which I greatly appreciate.  I couldn’t manage without you and Charlie.”  He squeezed Charlie’s arm but Charlie didn’t even look up from grading papers.  “But you shouldn’t need to cancel your lunch.  Didn’t you say that Mrs. Singh had offered to look after her sometime?”

“That’s right,” Alan smiled.  “She said she would enjoy—”

Suddenly, Nena said loudly, “Beep, ba-beep-beep.” 

Everyone, even Charlie, looked over at her as she pulled her play cellphone out of her overalls. “Hallo.  Nena speaking.  ’Kay.  ‘Kay.  Lifeordeaf?  I be right there.”

She put the phone back in her pocket and turned to Colby.  “Lifeordeaf, Daddy!  Lifeordeaf!”

Colby laughed and said, “Ok, we’ll make plans later.”

Alan chuckled, shaking his head.

“Charlie,” Nena said, grabbing his hand.  “We need your he’p!  We need math!”

“Why—” Charlie said, his eyes still foggy with distraction.

“Math makes the swing go, you said!”

“Physics actually,” Charlie smiled.  “But okay."

“So what’s the life-or-death emergency?”  Colby grinned, getting up.

“Idaknow,” Nena said blithely.  “But I know it’s at the park!”