Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
13,203
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,704

To Have Loved

Summary:

A woman comes between the boys

Work Text:

 

To Have Loved
by Dorothy Cutillo

The morning sunshine was filtered through the trees, a gentle spring breeze floated across the bare sweaty chest of the young man straddled on the roof top. Life couldn't be better at the moment. He had some money in his pocket, a job, and the company of a good friend. Taking another nail from his mouth, he placed it on the wooden shingle. He brought the hammer down striking the nail and his thumb at the same time. "Ouch! Geeze!" he cried out ramming his thumb into his mouth.

"Smash your thumb again?' the dark haired man grinned, his dimples creasing his cheeks. He sat facing his blonde curly haired partner.

"I'm gonna have the flattest thumbs around here." Kid said as he examined his throbbing thumb.

Heyes laughed, but it turned into a yelp as he too smashed his thumb.

"That's what ya get for laughing at me!"

There was a faint crack. Heyes sat still, motioning for Kid to be quiet. "Did you hear that?" he asked.

"I didn't hear anything." Kid said, began nailing shingles again.

Heyes shrugged, then he too began to hammer. There was another crack, louder this time. "That! Did you hear that?"

"I didn't hear anything Heyes, Put your hat on. You've been in the sun too long."

"I know I heard a crack. How old is this roof any way?"

"I don't know, as old as the bunkhouse I guess."

They went back to work, Heyes pushed himself back. He began to hammer on another shingle. There was a loud crack. This time Kid did hear it. He looked up in time to see his friend fall through the roof, there was a loud crash as his friend landed on the furniture below.

"Heyes!" Kid yelled.

He dropped his hammer, slid down the roof ignoring the ladder, he jumped off the roof. He slid from the ground, scrambling up as fast as he could he ran into the bunkhouse.

Heyes had landed on a table which broke in two under the force of the fall. "I don't believe this." Heyes groaned when he could get the breath that was knocked out of him.

"Are you all right?" Kid asked concern deep in his voice.

"I think so," he tried to move, he started to roll over to get up "Ow!"

Kid's eyes grew wide, then he tried not to laugh. "Heyes you got a great big splinter in you're a....."

"I know it!" Heyes yelled. "Pull it out!"

"It's gonna hurt." Kid tried to console him.

"It hurts already! Pull it out!"

Kid pulled out the splinter.

Heyes stood up quickly doing a little dance. He smacked at his rump.

Curry couldn't hold the laughter back anymore. He burst out laughing, until tears began to role down his cheeks.

"Oh yeah, very funny! Why is it every time we take a job that you find, something happens to me?"

"Heyes that's, that's not so!" Kid was holding his side trying to calm himself down. He started to laugh all over again. "It's just that you look so funny!"

Heyes looked at his partner, then he too started to laugh. "I guess I did look funny at that."

they looked up at the roof. "That was a long drop, you sure you ain't hurt?"

"No, no I'm fine. I've had worse then a splinter, but the roof. Looks like we're sleeping under the stars inside or out."

"Mr. Andrews isn't going to be happy about that hole. We're gonna have to fix it." Kid started to pick up the broken table. "Wonder if he's gonna want this fixed."

"I'll fix it, we'll need something to play cards on at night."

There was a whistle from behind them. "I thought you boys were supposed to fix the roof? What's this then?"

"My partner had a little mishap. Decided to get down a new way." Kid grinned turning to greet the owner of the small ranch. His grin faded, eyes growing wide. His mouth opened a bit.

Standing behind Mr. Andrews was the prettiest girl Kid had ever seen. His face grew hot as he blushed.

Heyes watched his partner, then rolled his eyes upward shaking his head. "Here we go again." he said under his breath.

"Oh my! You fell through the roof? Are you hurt?" she asked her blue eyes growing wide. " Mr?"

"Smith, Joshua Smith. I'm fine really." Kid shot him a quick look."Oh and this is my friend, Thaddeus Jones."

"Pleased to meet you Ma'am." Kid nodded at her.

She was so pretty. She smiled at him, her eyes dropping down to his well muscled chest, then back to his sky blue eyes.

"I'm really pleased to meet you too." They stood looking at each other, neither paying attention to the other people in the bunkhouse.

"Thaddeus, Thaddeus I'm talking to you." Heyes gave him a nudge. "Pay attention."

"What? You were saying?" Kid drew his eyes from the girl.

"I said that we'll take the buckboard into town, to the mill and pick up some lumber to fix the roof." Heyes told him carefully.

Kid turned back to the girl. "Fix the roof? What's wrong with it?' he asked, smiling at the pretty face.

"He's gone." Heyes thought to himself. "Mr. Andrews, we'll leave as soon as we get cleaned up. We should be back this afternoon."

"Do you think I may go along? Daddy will it be alright? I have some shopping to do." The girl asked. "Please, I'm sure Mr. Smith and Mr. Jones won't mind my going along."

Mr. Andrews looked at the boys, "What do you think boys? Would you like company?"

Kid looked eagerly at Heyes. Heyes knew when to give in. "That'll be fine. I'll ride my horse in and, I'm sorry I don't recall your name?" Heyes asked.

"It's Patrice." she smiled.

"Patrice can ride in the buckboard with Thaddeus. If that's alright with you Sir?"

"Sure, that's fine as long as you boy's don't mind."

"We don't mind at all Sir." Kid said smiling. At the moment he wanted to give Heyes a huge hug, he found out her name and arranged for her to ride beside him into town. "Give us half an hour and we'll pick you up at the house."

"Half an hour." Patrice smiled.

Kid thought he would fly through the hole Heyes had made in the roof.

"Put the lumber on my account. Bill Schaefer is the miller, just tell him your working for me. He should recognize the wagon." Mr. Andrews said.

He was a strongly built man, who had worked hard most of his life to get what he had. His wife had passed on a few years before, now it was just Patrice and him. The ranch wasn't huge, but he made a decent living. They were comfortable. He had hired Smith and Jones to help with the hard work offering them a job for as long as they wanted to stay. He liked these two boys, and hoped they would stay for a long time.

Kid drove the buckboard to the house. Heyes rode up stopping next to the wagon.

"You like her don't you?" Heyes asked.

"Maybe." Kid said , what he really wanted to say was thanks for knowing him so well and setting this ride up.

"Don't get too attached Kid."

"It's just a ride into town. Just being helpful is all."

The front door opened, Patrice came out. She had changed to a light blue dress, her dark hair swept up. She carried a basket.

Kid hurried down from his seat to help her on the wagon. "You look nice." he smiled at her.

She smiled back. "Why thank you Sir." she let him lift her onto the wagon.

He smiled up at her, then climbed onto the seat next to her. Taking up the reins, they started off.

Heyes sat quietly watching them. He smiled to himself, then gave a little chuckle as he shook his head. Kid and pretty girls, they went hand in hand. He followed behind, they didn't even notice.

"I love this time of year. Spring is my favorite season" Patrice told the Kid. "everything is new again, the air so fresh, babies being born. It's all so wonderful!"

"Yeah, spring is nice . Not too cold or too warm."

"Are you and Joshua from around here?" she asked.

"No Ma'am, We were born in Kansas. We travel a lot."

"Kansas? That's so far away. Were your folks upset when you left?' she asked.

"They might have been. We lost our parents when we were real young. In the border war. We lived in an orphanage until we ran away. Joshua had a real hard time there so we left. Been on our own since."

"Oh Thaddeus, I'm so sorry! How horrible for the both of you!" she was deeply upset for them. She turned to face Kid. "You didn't have a childhood, it was stolen from you. Your poor parents, to lose their lives and not see what a handsome man you've grown up to be!" her eyes grew wide as she realized what she had said. She covered her mouth with her hand. "Oh my!"

Kid looked at her smiling. "Thank you Patrice, for the compliment."

"Well I meant it . You are handsome. There aren't many handsome men around, there aren't many nice men around. Now I've met two who are both. I'm glad you and Joshua joined with my Dad. It gets lonely sometimes around here. It's so nice to have someone to talk to my age. I'm really glad you're here Thaddeus." she gently put her hand in his thigh.

"I'm glad too. It's always nice to talk to a pretty girl."

"Do you really think I'm pretty?" she asked shyly.

"Yes I do, about the prettiest girl I've ever seen."

She smiled widely at him, batting her eyes. "No one's ever told me that out right. They're afraid of Daddy. I'm surprised he let me go with you. He must like you too."

"Well that's nice to know." he said. "it's nice to know that the man your working for likes you."

They chatted the entire trip into town. Heyes followed behind whistling a tune, enjoying the scenery. Every once in awhile he would look their way. They didn't even remember he was along.

_______________________________________

The town was busy with the everyday hustle and bustle of a Saturday. Folks were coming into town for supplies and visiting, and all the other things you could only do in town. They drove to the dressmaker shop so Patrice could pick up her dresses, then the boys would go on to the mill.

Kid jumped down, he reached up and gently placed Patrice down on the boardwalk. He handed her the basket she had brought along.

"I'll be a little while in here, then I have to go to the general store. I'll meet you there?" she asked smiling at him.

"You'll be alright by yourself? I can send Joshua on for the lumber and stay here with you."

"Oh Thaddeus, you silly sweet boy! What would you do in a dressmaker's shop?" she asked taking his hand. "And besides, it wouldn't be fair to Joshua. I'll be fine, you go on and I'll see you in a bit."

"As long as your sure?" for some reason he really hoped she would want him to stay.

"Go, I've shopping to do and you have work." she turned toward the dress shop, but didn't enter.

Heyes sat on his horse watching.

"What?" Kid asked.

"Not a thing." Heyes shrugged, turning his horse.

They went on to the mill. Patrice watched them go. She smiled to herself, she really did feel something for Thaddeus. It was a nice feeling, one she hoped would last her lifetime. As soon as they were far enough down the street, she crossed over to the other side and entered the Doctor's office.

_____________________________________

The saws were buzzing, the air filled with the smell of saw dust. Piles of lumber were stacked according to sizes. Heyes went into the mill, he saw Bill Schaefer right away. He had a pencil behind his ear, carried a clipboard and wore a carpenter's apron.

"Mr. Schaefer?" Heyes asked.

"That's me. What can I do for you on this fine day?" The man had a cheery air about him.

"We need to purchase roofing lumber, enough to fix say an eight foot hole. It's for Tom Andrews bunkhouse. He said to put it on his account."

Kid came in, he stood next to Heyes.

"You boys working for Tom eh? I don't recall Tom's bunkhouse having a hole in the roof, it just needed shingles." he stopped, thinking. A smile grew on his face. "Who fell through?"

Kid pointed to Heyes. Who threw his friend a look of annoyance.

"Well you don't look none for worse. Got the lumbar on the side, go ahead and load what you need." Bill told them, he laughed to himself as he walked away muttering something about carpenter's and cowboys.

They went to the pile of lumbar, deciding on how much they would need, they began to load the wagon. "You really like her don't you?" Heyes asked breaking the silence between them.

"Yeah I do." Kid said as a matter of fact. "A lot."

Heyes took a deep breath, letting it out slowly.

Kid stopped working to look at his partner. "What's wrong with my liking her? She's the prettiest girl I've seen in a long while, And she's nice."

"I just don't want either of you to get hurt."

"How are we gonna get hurt? We're just talking is all."

"All I'm trying to say is that you know where we came from and where we may head. Don't let either of you start something you can't finish. Keep company with her, talk to her that's alright. Just don't fall for each other. I don't want to see either of you get hurt."

Kid fell silent, Heyes was always trying to be his parent. This time though he was too late, he had fallen for her.

______________________________________

The wagon was loaded, they headed back to Main Street to find Patrice. She wasn't at the dressmaker so they went on to the General Store. She was there, her arms loaded with packages. Some had fallen to the boardwalk. She was talking to a well dressed cowboy. As the buckboard came closer, Curry could see that Patrice was in distress. The cowboy had his hand tightly gripping her wrist. More of her packages fell as she tried to free herself from the man's grip.

"Let go of me!" Patrice cried pulling her arm, but not loosening the man's hold.

Curry jumped off the wagon. He was beside her quickly. "Let go of the Lady's wrist." he told the well dressed man.

The man looked Kid up and down. He was dirty from loading lumbar. He started to laugh at Kid, until Heyes came to stand behind his partner.

"This is none of your concern, this is between her and me."

"Patrice, Miss Andrew's came into town with me so this is my concern. Let go of her wrist." Curry said, his last words were icy cold.

The man let go, stepping back slightly. He opened and closed his hand near his holster.

Heyes looked the man in the eyes. Slowly he shook his head in a warning. The man's eyes fell to Kid's hip, the way his holster hung there, low tied down. How clean and well oiled the weapon was.

He had second thoughts. "Like I said, this is between her and me. No harm meant." he bent down, picking up a package he handed it to her. "Another time Patrice." He tipped his hat, turned and walked away.

"What was that about? Do you know him?" Kid asked concern in his voice.

"Yes I know him. He's Ray Granby. He wants to marry me."

Heyes looked quickly at his friend. Kid kept his eyes on Patrice. "Do you want to marry him?" he asked.

"No Thaddeus, I have no interest in him. I can't convince him of that though. He's used to getting his way with women, I won't give in to him so I'm a challenge. He makes my skin crawl."

Kid's face softened, "I'm glad to hear that. Are you ready to go back now?"

"Yes I am." she smiled at him.

The two outlaws bent down to retrieve the rest of her fallen packages. Kid handed his to Heyes, then took the packages from Patrice. They put them in the back of the wagon. Kid helped her onto the seat.

"I'm going to get a quick beer, then I'll be along." Heyes told them . He felt like a third wheel.

"Oh Joshua, don't you want our company going home?" Patrice asked.

"Really there's nothing I would like better then to be in the company of you both, but I'm a little dry. I should be able to catch up. You go on ahead." he smiled.

"Just make sure you do. We still have a roof to fix." Kid reminded him.

"Oh you remember the roof." Heyes smiled wider. "I'll be there."

Kid picked up the reins, starting off. He was already chatting with Patrice.

Heyes watched them drive off. He shook his head, then smiled to himself. Might as well let Kid enjoy himself while they were here.

He walked through the swinging doors of the saloon, taking note of who was there. He noticed Ray Granby sitting at a table in the far corner. He was having a heated argument with another man.

Heyes took a place at the bar, he ordered a beer, sipped it slowly. He watched Granby through the bar mirror. The man Granby was arguing with stood up abruptly, his chair falling over.

"Just step outside!" The angry young man left Granby sitting alone at the table, he strode out of the saloon.

Heyes watched through the mirror. It was too noisy to hear what had been said, but he could tell that the young man who left was very angry. Heyes lost interest in Granby. He wasn't paying much attention to anything in particular. He was lost in thoughts about Kid and Patrice. He kept getting a feeling in the pit of his stomach that he was losing his partner and best friend to a pretty girl. He didn't notice when Granby came to stand next to him until he spoke.

"Where's your woman stealing friend?" He asked coldly.

"I don't have a woman stealing friend. Women usually go with him because they want too." Heyes looked at the man, his gaze even, unwavering.

"You better tell him I'm gonna marry her. You'd better tell him to back off." Granby told him.

"I don't have to tell him any thing. The way I hear it, she doesn't want to marry you. If my friend wants to see her, he has every right to do so."

"This is what I want you to tell your friend," he turned to face Heyes. He poked Heyes in the chest with his finger as he spoke. "You tell that woman stealing scum, that if I see her with him again I'm gonna shoot him dead."

"I don't think you would want me to tell him that. He's not as even tempered as I am. If you were poking him like your doing to me, you'd most likely have a broken jaw by now. But I'm not going to do that, and I'm not going to tell him to stay away from the girl. What I am going to do is finish my drink." Heyes turned away from the man.

What he really wanted to do was punch the guy out, but not wanting the Sheriff to get involved he kept himself in check.

Granby finished his drink, slamming the glass down on the bar. He shoved Heyes to face him. "You tell him I'm waiting on him. Next time I see him." he looked Heyes directly in the eyes.

There was no fear at all in the dark brown eyes that returned the stare. "He'd better be ready." Granby turned leaving the saloon before Heyes had a chance to react.

Turning back to the bar Heyes finished his beer. There was a commotion coming from the street. People were gathering, men hurriedly leaving the saloon. Heyes followed, wanting to see what was going on.

Standing in the middle of the street was the cowboy who had argued with Granby. Granby was in the street also. It was clearly a face off, the young cowboy the challenger. The young man made his move, but never had a chance. A dark red spot began to grow on his chest. Granby had fired before the cowboy had a chance to clear his holster. He fell to the street dead.

There was a scream from the crowd, a young woman obviously pregnant went running to the dead man. Her cries could be heard over the crowd.

Granby turned looking directly at Heyes, who was standing on the boardwalk. He smiled a cold cruel evil smile at the outlaw. He turned walking away.

"What was the reason for this shooting?" Heyes asked a man standing next to him.

"The dead guy is, was Carl Milty. That's his sister Cybil. She claims Granby is the Father of her baby. Carl wanted him to do right by his sister. You figure the rest." the man walked away.

Heyes watched as the undertaker came for the body. Some women went to Cybil, leading her away.

Granby was fast, real fast. Heyes wasn't sure if Kid was faster, and he sure didn't want to find out.

_____________________________________

Fixing the roof went smoothly. Kid was in an exceptionally good mood, whistling a tune as they worked. Heyes hardly said a word. He was thinking how he was going to keep Curry from going into town. He didn't want Patrice going into town either. If Ray Granby was the father of that woman's unborn baby, then Patrice shouldn't have anything to do with him. He didn't want Kid getting mixed up in anything either. He wanted to keep as low a profile as they could, this was a quiet place and he'd like to keep it that way.

They had finished the roof just before dinner time. There was a small kitchen in the bunkhouse. The cook and other hands were out doing round up, calves were being born that needed to be cared for.

Kid doused himself with a bucket of water, he shook his head droplets flying about. Heyes splashed some water on his face, running his hands through his hair. Still not saying much.

"Who's cooking?" Kid asked as he dried off.

"I'll do it." Heyes said.

"What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing, I'll go make dinner." he walked into the bunkhouse.

Kid followed him. "C'mon, what's wrong? You've been quiet since you got back from town. Did something happen while you were there?"

Heyes didn't know if he should tell his friend of Granby's threat or the killing or the pregnant girl. Kid would no doubtlessly face the man. On the other hand, if he didn't say anything and they met somewhere he knew what would happen.

"I think it's time we moved on." Heyes said.

"Move on? What for?"

"I just think it's time we left, that's all. We've been here for over a week now. It's time to move on."

"What happened in town Heyes?" kid asked looking at his friend with concern.

How much should he tell Kid? Should he tell him anything. How much did he care for Patrice? Maybe he was making too much of the whole thing. "Granby's..." Heyes started, "we just have to go Kid. Let's say we wore out our welcome."

"What about Granby?" Kid was getting annoyed.

"He said you stole his fiancee." Heyes gave in. "He's going to call you out next time he see's you." Heyes began to pace.

"You're not telling me everything. What else is there? I know you too well Heyes, spill the rest."

Heyes sighed deeply, "Granby had a shootout with another man in town. He said Granby got his sister pregnant but wouldn't do right for her. Granby killed him."

"Now he wants to call me out over Patrice?"

Heyes nodded. "And you don't think I could take him?"

"He's fast Kid, and it's not like you really have feelings for Patrice," Heyes stopped, he considered for a moment, "Do you Kid?"

"Yeah Heyes I do. I think I've fallen in love with her." he answered very quietly.

Heyes felt like he was punched in the stomach. He supposed this would happen someday. "So what happens now Kid?"

"I think we sit down and eat something. I'm hungry."

"You know what I mean Kid. You know as well as I do we can't let ourselves get attached to one place...or one person." Heyes said quietly. "a posse could come down the road at anytime."

"Heyes, all I want is a chance to have a normal life, even if it's for a little while. I want to see how it feels to have a girlfriend, for just a little while. Do you understand?" Kid's voice was so quiet. There was a longing in it that Heyes too felt at times. He looked at his blonde partner, he could see the sadness in his eyes for the life they would never have.
For the home that would never be, to be able to lie down to sleep and really sleep. To be free from worry, to be...free.

"I know Kid, I know. We'll stay for awhile, but stay away from Granby."

__________________________________________

The morning sunshine was bright, birds were singing happily on a perfect Sunday morning. Patrice and her Father were going to church. They had wanted to company of Joshua and Thaddeus but Joshua claimed he had a backache, that he would rest in bed for awhile. Thaddeus, being the good friend that he was, decided to stay in case Joshua needed anything.

Patrice hoped Joshua felt better and reminded Thaddeus that they had a date for a picnic that afternoon.

"Picnic eh?' Heyes asked.

"Yep, that's right a picnic. We'd invite you to come along, but since your back hurts an all well..."

"I get the message. Go have a good time." Heyes smiled.

"What are you going to do this afternoon?"

"Oh, just lounge around. Take it easy." he lied. What he really was going to do was keep an eye on Granby.

________________________________________

The meadow was perfect just as Patrice said it would be. Wildflowers were every where, there was a stream bubbling. Butterflies fluttered about. They spread a blanket under a large old tree.

Thaddeus unharnessed the horse, hobbling the mare so she could graze but not go anywhere. Kid lay on his side watching Patrice as she took food from the picnic basket. She was so pretty.

"Do you like what you see?" she asked coyly.

"I sure do."

"Me or the food?" she smiled.

"Both." he smiled back.

"Well at least your honest."

"I'm trying to be." If she only knew how hard he was trying.

"Tell me more about your life. What was it like growing up in an orphanage?" she asked.

Kid's smile faded. "Why do you want to know about that?"

"Well, I just want to know about your past. I can't change your past, but maybe I can make right now better." she said.

"You're making right now perfect, much better then my past. The orphanage wasn't a happy time. We were fed and kept clean. We learned to read and write, but that was all. We worked hard and if we disobeyed we were punished." he got a far away look in his eyes as memories that he wanted to forget came back. "Joshua was always there for me. He's a couple of years older then I am. He's my blood cousin, and he kept the older boys from picking on me. I was a little on the pudgy side so they would tease me, I would fight back as best I could. There were a lot of fights. Joshua always took the blame for whatever I did. Which means he took the beatings that I should have gotten. He has the whip marks across his back, that's why he never takes off his shirt no matter how hot it gets." Kid was lost in his memories an didn't realize he had said the last part out loud, until he felt Patrice take his hand. He looked into her pretty face.

"Oh Thaddeus, poor Joshua he must love you very much."

"Yeah, I guess he does. It goes both ways. We only have each other." he looked at her an awkward feeling in his stomach, "And now there's you."

She blushed, "I'm starting to have feeling for you, there wonderful feelings that I hope never go away." she whispered.

Kid reached over to her, he traced her face with his finger, then he cupped her chin looking into her eyes.

Slowly, very slowly he kissed her lips. He pulled back looking at her, he kissed her again lightly. He moved to her neck, kissing her soft smooth skin. He felt her shudder, he pulled away. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that." he apologized.

She turned away from him so he couldn't see the tear slide down her cheek.

_________________________________

Heyes was just finishing saddling his horse for the ride into town, when the boss Mr. Andrews came up to him. "Going somewhere?" he asked.

"Just thought I"d ride into town for awhile. Is there something you need doing?"

"Nope, just wanted to talk a little." Andrews motioned to some bales of hay. They sat, Heyes waited for the man to start speaking. "My wife died a few years ago. She got a fever, just wasted away. Patrice is all I have left."

"I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Mr. Andrews."

"Your friend Thaddeus, he's a very pleasant young man. He's making Patrice very happy. I'm glad of that." he stopped talking.

Heyes waited for the man to continue talking, when he didn't Heyes prodded. "I feel that there is a "but" coming up?"

"You're right son," he sighed. "There is. You see Patrice has a heart condition, my little girl is dying and I can't do a thing to help her. Thaddeus is making her happy, she smiles all the time now."

Heyes' mind was whirling. Patrice was dying? Kid was falling in love with her. Granby wanted to kill Kid. Heyes fought off the urge to pace. " I'm sorry to hear about Patrice, does she know?"

"Yes, she does." Mr. Andrews answered.

Heyes' head fell back against the barn, he closed his eyes. Patrice knew she was dying. He wondered if she was going to confess to his partner. "Thaddeus is falling in love with your daughter Mr. Andrews. I don't want him hurt. How do you think he's going to react when he finds out?'

"Don't tell him." Mr. Andrews answered quickly. "I know your kind, you boys are drifters. You'll most likely leave before her time comes. Let her feel how it is to have a male companion if only for a short time."

Heyes felt he had almost the same conversation with Kid not too long ago. He was being put in a very difficult spot. "What about this Granby fellow? He seems to have a claim on Patrice."

"Granby considers himself a ladies man. He wants Patrice because she won't give him the time of day. Thaddeus is different, he's an honest gentle man. Knows right from wrong. He has feelings. He cares."

"That's what I"m afraid of. He does have feelings, he does care. He's already lost a great deal. We both have. I can't let him get hurt as deeply as he did once before, I can't let that happen to him again." Heyes looked Andrews in his grey eyes. "I can't let him go on falling in love with her not knowing she's going to die. He has a right to know."

"If he knows, then his feelings will turn to pity. Patrice doesn't want that, she wants to know how it feels to love a man and be loved in return unconditionally. Do you understand? Can you do this for Patrice?"

"I understand, I also know that while I was in town yesterday Granby threatened to kill Thaddeus next time he sees him. Mr. Andrews your putting me in a very difficult situation not to mention Thaddeus!" Heyes gave in to the urge to pace, he walked back and forth his hand covering his mouth. The only solution Heyes could think of was for them to leave, before anything happened. How would he get Kid to go? If he told him the girl was dying, he wouldn't leave. If Kid went into town, Granby could kill him. Any way he looked at it Kid would be the one hurt. How he wished the add Kid had found in a newspaper for two handymen had never been read by him.

"Mr. Andrews, I don't know how to handle this." Heyes sighed. "Sometimes it's best to do nothing but be there to pick up the pieces when they fall."

Heyes hoped the pieces never fell.

____________________________________

The ride back from the picnic was just as pleasant as the day had been. They chatted and laughed, even though Patrice asked to go home early, that she was tired they had a wonderful time just the same. Kid didn't know if Patrice had noticed the rider following them aways back. He noticed the man when they were on the road from the meadow. He kept his distance, riding on by when they turned down the lane to her father's house.

"Thaddeus I had such a wonderful time today. I don't know when I've enjoyed someone's company as much as I've enjoyed your's today."

"I was just thinking the same thing."

"There's a dance tomorrow night at Maggie Correll's barn. It's her birthday and she's a dear friend of mine. Would you like to go? And bring Joshua, he's more then welcome to come. All the young people will be there, maybe we can fix him up? Say yes Thaddeus, I'd love to show you both off." Patrice leaned closer to his ear, "especially you!" she whispered.

Kid felt his face grow hot. "I'm not a very good dancer, but yes I'll go with you. And I'll get Joshua to go. He can play guitar and sing a little, maybe we can coax him into singing."

"Oh that would be grand! Everyone will be so jealous of my escorts!"

They reached the house, Curry got down to help her out of the surrey.

"Thanks again for the wonderful time." she reached up kissing him on the cheek, "Until tomorrow."

He watched her go into the house. He liked the way he felt. Happy, that is until he remembered, how was he going to get Heyes to sing tomorrow night? Kid found Heyes laying on his bunk with an open book. He was staring at the page not reading.

"Is that how you spent your day, flat on your back? It was a beautiful day, you should have done something." Kid said.

Heyes didn't respond. Kid looked at him. He sat down at the table, taking out his gun he began to clean it. They both remained silent. Heyes had these moments where he wouldn't say anything. It usually meant he had something on his mind that he didn't want him to know, or that he was planing a robbery. Since they had gone straight, it was something Heyes didn't want him to know. Curry would glance at his cousin's quiet body on the bunk as he cleaned the gun.

"If you're going to pretend to read that book, you should at least turn the pages once in awhile." Kid said wiping the gun with a cloth. Heyes didn't respond. "Heyes what's wrong? Did I do something to get you mad at me?"

Heyes closed the book. Sitting up, he put his elbows on his knees and buried his face in his hands. He still didn't know how to handle Patrice's health or Granby's threat. Finally he lifted his face and grinned at his friend, the dimples creasing his face. "I'm sorry Kid, I get lost in my thoughts. How was the picnic?"

Kid wrinkled his eyebrows at him. "Sometimes you worry me Heyes ! The picnic was fine! The best I've never had as good a time!" then he said more quietly, "I've never met anyone in my life like Patrice. Oh and before I forget, we're going to a birthday barn dance tomorrow night and your gonna sing and play the guitar." Kid figured the mood Heyes was in he really wouldn't be listening and agree.

"That's fine, that's fine. Good I'm glad you had a ...Wait a minute!" Heyes stood up looking fiercely at Kid. "I'm not singing at any barn dance! Why'd you volunteer me?"
"It just popped out. I couldn't help it, Patrice was so darned pretty standing there. I just wanted her to smile at me some more. I'm sorry Heyes, I don't think sometimes."

Heyes walked across the floor, he turned around walking back. He opened his mouth to speak, then closed it again. He ran both his hands through his dark hair. "Damn!" he thought, "Kid really has it for this girl. Keeping her health secret from him was going to be hard, real hard. Kid was going to get hurt no matter which way he turned it.

"What's wrong? I know you too well Heyes. Something is bothering you. Tell me what it is?' Kid asked him, the concern for his friend deep in his voice.

"We have to leave here." Heyes said flatly.

"Why, because you don't want to sing? I'm sorry. You don't have to sing. Just say your throat hurts or something." Kid's blue eyes were wide with worry, he didn't want to leave. Not yet, he wanted more time with Patrice.

Heyes looked at the young man with all the blonde curls ringing his face. He could be so innocent at times, so trusting of him. "What? No that's not it, we have to go is all. We just have to go!"

"Why? This morning you said we'd stay awhile! What happened? Are you in some kind of trouble? Is it Granby? I'm not afraid of him, I'm not gonna hide from him."

"It's more complicated then you think Kid."

"Your not gonna tell me are you?"

"I can't not yet anyway." Heyes turned away. "If we leave now, I won't have to tell you at all."

"Since when do you run from a problem? The great Hannibal Heyes, you stay until you figure it out not run, what's with you?" Kid was getting mad.

"This is one problem that the outcome will be the same if we stay or not."

"If it's not going to make a difference, then I say we stay." Kid put his cleaned gun back in his holster, got up leaving the bunkhouse making sure the door slammed shut.

A rifle shot broke the afternoon silence, the bullet hitting the bunkhouse door. The one Kid had just walked out of. Heyes ran to the door opening it, his gun out and ready. He peered outside, first looking for his friend then to try and see the shooter. Kid had dived behind a water trough.

"You alright?" Heyes called to him.

"Yeah, do you see him?"

"No."

they heard a horse riding off fast. They couldn't see the rider he was hidden by trees. Kid got up brushing dirt off. Heyes walked over, picking up Kid's hat. He handed it to his partner.

"There was a rider a rider behind us when we were coming back from the picnic. Do ya think if it could have been him? Who would want to shoot at me?"

"Granby. I wonder if it was him." Heyes said flatly. "Sure you don't want to leave?"

"NO! I'm staying! If someone wants to take pot shots at me for seeing a girl well let'em, but next time I'll be ready!" he walked away.

Heyes was going to make sure there wasn't a next time.

________________________________________

The music was playing loudly in the barn. It was lit up gayly, streamers and flowers decorating the barn. A Happy Birthday banner was strung across the loft. There was tables loaded with food, punch bowls, and a huge flower decorated birthday cake.

Curry drove the buggy, he was dressed in a light blue shirt, tan vest and blue jeans. His hair was combed as best he could, but the curls wouldn't lay down.

Heyes had tried again to get Kid to leave, but not getting anywhere he went along to the dance. He had on a white shirt and dark brown pants.

It was Patrice, who even Heyes had to admit was down right pretty. She wore a white dress with little blue flowers around the neck and waist. The sleeves were puffy, the skirt swayed as she walked.

Curry was acting like a schoolboy with his first crush.

Patrice looked up at the two of them smiling happily, "You both look so nice! When I walk in with the both of you all the girls will turn green." she giggled.

Heyes and Curry looked at each other over her head. Kid broke into a big grin. Heyes couldn't help himself, seeing his partner's face he had to smile back.

"Oh Joshua, those dimples! I know exactly who I'll introduce you too! Shall we go inside?" They each took an arm escorting her into the barn for the party.

The band, if you could call it that, a fiddler, a guitar, an accordion, and a toothless old man with a jug, were perched on a makeshift stage. They played loud and fast. The guests were dancing to the music having a wonderful time.

Two pretty girls came up to them, a blonde and a redhead. They giggled to each other as they approached.

"Patrice!" the blonde called giving her a hug and kiss, "I'm so glad you could come to my party! Who are your friends?" she asked, looking them over approvingly.

"This is Thaddeus Jones and his friend Joshua Smith. Boys this is Maggie Correll," she nodded toward the blonde. "And Joshua, this is Sarah Bently, the girl I wanted you to meet."

Heyes removed his hat and shook hands politely with each of the women. He felt like he was a horse in the auction ring. "I'm glad to meet you both." He smiled his beautiful smile.

Sarah smiled in return. She had dimples almost exactly to his own.

Kid looked from Sarah to Heyes, he never thought in his lifetime he would see someone who had dimples like Heyes had. Sarah wrapped her arm through Heyes' leading him away, he threw a quick glance back at Kid then found himself dancing with the pretty redhead.

"Well Patrice you sure didn't exaggerate when you said how attractive they were. Don't forget Mr. Jones, you must give me a birthday dance! Your friend owes me one too!" she called as she was whisked away by another guest.

"Would you like to dance?" Kid asked.

Patrice nodded. They began to dance, he held her close looking deeply into her eyes. She smiled at him. The music seemed slower, far away. There was no one else dancing but the two of them, no one else existed but the two of them. They held each other close.

Kid smelled the soft sweet scent of her hair, felt the softness of her body, it was something that he felt was missing in his life. They were alone in a barn full of people. He was a young man living a life of loneliness and she was a young woman who knew she was dying, for the moment they were giving each other a chance. A chance to see how it felt to love and be loved, if only for a little while. Each unaware of the gift that the other was giving. Kid didn't realize it but he kissed her deeply, passionately. The dance and all around them forgotten.

They began to notice the silence, the stillness in the barn. They began to become aware of their surroundings once more. They broke from their kiss to the sound of applause, to clapping and good natured cheering from the people in the barn, laughing at the embarrassment of the young couple.

All but Heyes, who stood to one side a sad smile on his face. He caught Kid's eye for a second as he turned away from his cousin. He was truly glad that Kid was having this moment, but he was just as worried about what the out come may be. He hoped they were both far away from here when her time came, for Kid's sake. He didn't know how he'd be able to keep things the way they were if she died while they were still here. He didn't want Kid to go through that kind of pain ever again, what they went through as children was enough to last a life time.

Patrice began to laugh at the embarrassment on Kid's face. The embarrassment quickly turned to concern, then fear as Patrice began to cough, then choke. She couldn't catch her breath. Kid held onto her as Maggie and Sarah came to her aide. Heyes was there with a cup of punch. They sat her down, Heyes handed her the punch.

She looked up at him, knowing instantly that he knew the secret she kept from his partner.

"Joshua please take Thaddeus outside for a few moments," Sarah asked "until we have everything under control."

Heyes looked at Kid, the young man was kneeling next to the girl trying to calm her. Heyes knew deep inside that his friend was going to be hurt over this girl, maybe he should tell him. Maybe he should knock him out, tie him up and leave with him. "Thaddeus, C'mon let's go outside, let them calm her down." Heyes said gently to his friend.

"No, I'll stay here."

"Please Thaddeus, we know how to calm her. Right now we need you to go outside and relax. She'll be alright in a few moments." Sarah told him.

Kid looked around at them all, then back to Patrice. She nodded at him between her coughing and wheezing. "Are you sure?" he asked her, she nodded again.

Curry followed Heyes out of the barn. He kept looking back over his shoulder. Heyes looked up at the nighttime sky. The stars were bright, the moon was at half crescent. He took a deep breath, then let it out. "Nice night." Heyes said.

"What's wrong with her? You know don't you?" Kid asked him.

"No, no I don't. Is there something wrong with her?" he lied. "as far as I know she's fine. Maybe it's just too dusty in there. It is a barn right?"

"Why didn't they want me away from her? I'm going back in there."

Heyes took hold of Kid's arm. "Give them some time. She's not going to want you to see her all choked up. Girls want to look nice for the man they like." Heyes couldn't believe what he was saying, he really wanted to tell him the awful truth. "Give her a chance to pretty herself up for you."

"Maybe your right." Kid calmed a little. " do you really think she cares about me?"

"As much as I hate to admit it, yes I think she cares a great deal about you." Heyes admitted. He stared at the ground thinking to himself. "I care a great deal about you too!" he wanted to scream it in Kid's face, but instead he said. "You're really falling for this girl."

"I think I am Heyes."

"Where does this leave us Kid?"

It was a question that they both knew was coming. They stood looking at each other. Two grown men together since childhood. They'd been to hell and back together. Could this woman be coming between them?

"I don't have an answer to that, I just... don't know." kid was confused.

He loved both of these people. Deep down he knew he would have to leave one behind, but for now he had them both. Could he leave Heyes? What kind of life could he give Patrice? Always the threat of a posse or bounty hunter in his future? Could he tell her about his past, who he really was? Would Patrice want him to stay if she knew he was a wanted outlaw? Would Heyes stay if he asked him too?

"We have to send a telegram to Lom. Ask him how much longer for that amnesty. Heyes, I'm tired. Tired of this whole thing. Tired of running, of not knowing where I'll be sleeping for more then one night. Of not knowing if I'll be thrown into jail if I ride into the wrong town. I can't do it anymore. I want to settle down, I want to ask Patrice to marry me if she'll have me." Kid's words hit Heyes like a hard punch in the stomach.

He ran his hands through his hair. "Kid , I need..." he paused looking his cousin in the face, the look of peace that was on it. He change what he was going to say, "Kid I need to tell you how happy I am for you!" he walked over, slapping him on the back. "I'll ride into town and send the telegram in the morning." Heyes smiled at him, he hoped Kid couldn't read what he really felt. He wished Mr. Andrews had never told him that Patrice was going to die.

"Should I ask her now? Heyes I've never felt this way before." he smiled widely. "I feel like I'm alive, like I'm whole."

"I guess that's what love is." Heyes said quietly. "Stay happy for as long as you can." Heyes thought. "Because you may not be happy for very long."

"But I wouldn't say anything to her yet Kid. Let's hear what Lom has to say first."

"Okay, I'll wait, but first thing in the morning we send the telegram."

"Alright Kid." Heyes' smile was a phony. A sad smile. "Let's go back inside."

They were just about to go back inside, when out of the darkness a shot was fired, it struck the barn wall just missing Kid. They dove into the dark shadows of the barn, hiding in the bushes. People inside the barn began yelling, several cowboys came running out guns in hand.

"What's going on out here? You boys alright?" a cowboy called out.

"We're fine!" Heyes called back.

"You boys see anybody?"

"No!"

"Where'd the shot come from?" another man called out.

"Don't know too dark." There was more shouting back and forth, no one noticed the man ride away.

That is no one but Heyes. He recognized Granby's build as he ran for his horse. He didn't even bother to hide. Kid didn't see him either, he was looking for Patrice.

"Kid , I think somebody's trying to tell you something, and I'm gonna find out who and why." Heyes said.

"You think somebody wants to kill me? You think it's Granby don't you. Maybe I'll just talk to him myself." Kid said angrily.

"Right now I think we ought to get Patrice and take her home. We'll talk about this later tonight."

____________________________________________

Heyes lay on his back in the dark. The ride home from the party was quiet. Patrice was very shaken, but on the way she calmed down. Kid was very gentle with her, very loving. He calmed her fears in a way Heyes had never seen before. Jedidiah "Kid" Curry or Thaddeus Jones, what ever named he chose to go by was truly in love.

Patrice was very pale, she told Kid that it was because of all the excitement, but that she was fine.

Kid was asleep. He lay on his side, his arms crossed a foot hanging over the side. He looked so young, Heyes thought as he watched him sleep. He envied Kid, the man could sleep even though someone was trying to kill him. Or maybe he could sleep because he knew Heyes was there next to him. They both knew that they could count on the other.

Heyes quietly sat up, he was going into town now without the Kid. He would find Granby. Challenge him himself if he had too, but the shots at Kid would stop. If Kid wanted to stay with Patrice until she.... well he was going to make sure that the time they had left together was special.

He got dressed, put his gun on. As he put his black hat on, he stopped at the door looking back at his sleeping cousin. He crossed back over to him, covering him with the blanket. "See ya later." he said quietly, then he slipped out the door into the night.

The town was quiet in the early morning. The telegraph office was closed. Heyes was going to send the telegram to Lom, he also wanted to know how their amnesty was going, but first Granby.

Heyes tied his horse to the post, then walked into the saloon. He knew the kind of man Granby was so most likely he'd spent the night with a working girl. A bar keeper was sitting at a table. His feet up, chair tilted back snoring.

Heyes went over to him. "Hey," he nudged the man "Granby?"

The man didn't move, he snorted a room number then started to snore again.

Heyes went up the stairs, finding the room he took a thin metal pick from his boot, inserted it into the door knob. Quietly the door opened. He made eye contact with the girl in the bed. He put his finger to his lips to quiet her, then motioned her to come to him. She wrapped herself in a blanket, going to him. He handed her a gold coin, again putting his finger to his lips. She took the coin, then mouthed to him to come see her. She winked at him, he smiled back. He watched her sway down the hall. He turned back to Granby, who was snoring loudly.

Heyes stepped into the room closing the door, he withdrew his gun placing it on the man's temple. He cocked it. At the sound Granby's eyes flew open. "Hi." Heyes smiled at him.

"How'd you get in here? What do you want?"

"I came to tell you to stop taking pot shots at my friend."

"What're you talking about! Get outta here!" Granby said loudly.

"I saw you last night. That last shot came real close to hitting him. I don't know how long I'll be able to hold him back You see my partner is a real nice guy, with a real bad temper."

"And I told you to keep him away from Patrice! I'm marrying her not him!"

"I've been thinking on just why you want to marry that girl. Seems to me that everyone around here knows how sick she is. Her being an only child and all,"

"Just what are you getting at?" Granby snarled.

"I'm thinking that you're thinking to marry her to get her father's ranch, you being such a well rounded citizen here abouts. Fact is Patrice wants nothing to do with you. So why don't you leave things alone? Like I said you don't want to make my friend angry."

"You can't come in here and accuse me of stealing peoples ranches and you can't tell me what to do! Next time maybe I won't miss, and I'll make sure there's a bullet for you too!"

"Now that does sound like a threat, and I know now for sure it was you doing the shooting. I'm gonna do my damnest to keep my friend and Patrice away from you, but if you should come near them I can't help what may happen to you. Now take your pillowcase there and tear it into strips."

"What for?"

"So I can tie you up." Heyes smiled at him.

The man did as he was told. Heyes tied him up good and tight, doubling the leftover pillowcase to use as a gag. Heyes picked up all of Granby's clothing, his boots and holster. He tipped his hat at the trussed up man, then slipped out the door.

Granby struggled to get loose, but couldn't. Maybe he thought, he was trying to get rid of the wrong man.

Heyes went down the stairs carrying his bundle as inconspicuously as he could. He was on his way to the telegraph office. He unhitched his horse starting for the office. He passed a water trough. He stopped looking at it, then shrugged dumping the bundle into the water holster and all.

He walked to the telegraph office that was now opened. He began to write what he wanted to send.

To Sheriff Lom Trevors. Porterville Wy. Have you heard from our friend? Jones would like to marry. Is all okay? Smith.

Heyes waited for the reply. He didn't have long to wait To Joshua Smith, Brightwater, Nev. No word yet. Looking good. My best to the happy couple. Kiss the bride for me. Take care of yourself. Lom. Heyes read the reply, folded it putting it in his shirt pocket. He rode back to the ranch.

_______________________________________

The main house was quiet except for Patrice's wheezing and coughing. The girl was very pale and tired. She lay in bed, a smile grew on her pretty face. Thaddeus, he was a very special man. He was so strong, yet gentle and kind. Someday he would make some woman very happy. He would be a good husband. She was overwhelmed with a deep sadness. Having fallen in love with this blonde, blue eyed cowboy, was it fair not to tell him the truth of her health? Was it right to have his best friend hold this secret from him? And when she did die, would her secret break them apart? When Thaddeus finds out that Joshua knew the whole time, would he hate the man that he loved as a brother? A tear rolled down her cheek. She couldn't tell him, she didn't want his pity. She wanted his love. She covered her face with her hands. Her father would have to send them away. He must make them leave before she died. Thadeus mustn't know, she knew he had fallen in love with her. A woman knows when a man loves her. She can't hurt him. She knew it wouldn't be long, she felt it. Her time would be soon.

There were voices coming from downstairs, Thaddeus was here! "Don't let him come up, Daddy!" she prayed. She heard the door open then close, then footsteps coming up the stairs. There was a knock, the door opened.

Her father came in with a large bouquet of wild flowers. "These are from Thaddeus. He wants to see you. I told him you were sleeping. He'll come back later." her father told her.

"Oh Daddy they're beautiful! He's such a wonderful man. You have to let them go Daddy. You have to fire both Thaddeus and Joshua. Please send them away, please he can't be here when I ... I love him. I don't want him to know...ever." she started to sob, large tears running down her face. "Daddy I love him, I can't let him be hurt. Please send them away, make up some excuse that you don't need them anymore."

"Patrice baby." he sat on the bed taking his daughter in his arms, he held her tightly, rocking her.

She sobbed deeply. "I'm scared Daddy. I'm scared." she began to cough deeply. Rough, harsh coughs. She began to cough blood. "Daddy!" the look in her eyes told him there wasn't much time.

"I'll get the buggy, I'm taking you to the doctor's. lie back rest." He kissed her forehead then ran down the stairs.

He ran to the barn, meeting Joshua who was just returning from town. "Joshua quick, help me hitch the surrey. I'm taking Patrice into town to the doctor!" the man looked frantic. "I think I'm losing my baby.!"

Heyes hurried to help the man harness the horse. He kept throwing glances at the older man. "Patrice wants me to let the two of you go. She loves Thaddeus very much and doesn't want him here when she dies. Don't let him follow us into town Joshua, take him away." he reached into his pocket pulling out some money. Counting out their wages, he handed it to Heyes.

"Mr. Andrews, I think we should let Thaddeus know. He loves your daughter. He would want to be there for her."

"No, it's Patrice's wish for him to stay away. I don't care how you do it. Tie him up, knock him out, but don't let him go into town."

Andrew's meant every word he said. "And please, don't be here when I return. I don't want to face Thaddeus either." he drove the surrey to the house.

Heyes watched the man drive away.

He started for the bunkhouse and Kid. Kid wasn't in the bunkhouse, his bed wasn't made as was his own. He looked outside, where could he be? He noticed some rags with fresh paint. Heyes started to follow the paint trail, it led to the hen house. There was Kid slapping paint on the henhouse wall.

"Hi." Heyes said.

"Did you send the telegram? Did Lom answer?" Kid had a smudge of paint on his cheek.

"Doesn't matter what the answer is. Andrews let us go." Heyes said flatly.

"Let us go?" Kid turned to toward him, paint brush in his hand. "Why?"

"He says there's no work."

"No work? There's plenty of work here. I'm going to see what this is all about. I'll talk to Patrice." he dropped the brush into the bucket.

"No Kid, we've been paid off. Let's just pack up and ride out of here."

"You've been wanting to leave here for days. What's really going on? What aren't you telling me?" Kid asked.

"Nothing's going on Kid. We've been let go is all. So let's go."

Kid looked at Heyes, the man's hat was covering his eyes. "You're lying, stop treating me like a child and tell me what's wrong."

"We've been let go Kid. They want us to leave." Heyes said more sternly.

"I'm going up to the house." he tried to push his way past.

Heyes stopped him. "No Kid, they've gone to town."

"Then I'm going to town." Kid was starting to get mad.

"You're not going to town. We're leaving." Heyes said more forcefully.

They stood glaring at each other.

"Let me pass Heyes."

"No, we're leaving."

"I'm going to town. Get out of my way. If you won't tell me what's going on, I'll find out for myself. Now get out of my way or I'll make you." his blue eyes were getting darker.

"I can't let you go into town. Please Kid, let's ride out of here."

"Are you afraid of that Granby fella? Well I'm not. I'm going after Patrice." Kid tried to go around Heyes, but again he stepped in front of his cousin.

Heyes didn't see the punch coming, but Kid's fist met his left cheek with amazing accuracy. Heyes staggered back. Heyes' returned the punch striking his friend in the mouth. They exchanged blow by blow, Heyes taking most of the punches from his heavier cousin. Heyes kept falling and getting back up. Each time telling Kid he wasn't going to let him go into town. Kid would knock him down again.

"Heyes, please stay down. I don't want to hit you any more!" Kid pleaded.

Heyes struggled to his feet, he swayed. His mouth was bloodied, his cheek turning black. He looked at Kid a sad look. Kid was sure Heyes wasn't telling him something. "I'm not letting you go into town." he balled his fist once more. He threw a punch that Kid easily side stepped.

He punched Heyes once more, this time taking the dark haired man out. Heyes fell back, this time he stayed down.

Kid checked his friend. He was out, but would wake soon. He noticed the telegram, taking it out of Heyes' pocket. He read it, then crumpled it throwing it on the ground. "Why Heyes, why? Why won't you tell me?" he left his friend, running for his horse. He saddled his horse in record time, riding hell bent for town.

Heyes slowly opened his eyes. His head hurt, his lip bloodied. He wiped his hand across his mouth, when he saw the crumpled telegram. He got up as fast as he could, running for the barn. He hoped he got to town and Kid before anything happened.

_______________________________________

The town's main street was quiet. A few horses tied to the rails here and there. Two cowboys stood in front of the saloon. When they saw the lone rider on a foamy horse, one man ran into the saloon. Kid saw the man go inside, but he also saw Andrew's surrey by the doctor's office. That's where he headed.

Kid just swung off his horse, when he heard someone yelling at him.

"Hey you!" Granby yelled. "Yeah you, you woman stealing coyote!"

"I hope your not talking to me." Kid said stepping away from his horse. "I'm in a hurry."

"Course I'm talking to you! Where's your clothes stealing friend?, I want a word with him too!"

Kid wasn't sure what the man meant by clothes stealing, and didn't really have the time to find out. He just assumed he meant Heyes. "Anything you have to say to him you can say to me, but you'd better hurry it up." Kid called back.

"I want you to stay away from Patrice, she's mine. I'm gonna marry her, an you ain't getting in my way!"

"That may be what you want, but it's not what Patrice wants. She's going to marry me. Now if you don't understand that she wants nothing to do with you, then you're dumber then you look."

The door to the doctor's office opened. Mr. Andrews came out, he was holding Patrice. She was doing her best to stand on her own.

"Thaddeus!" she called weakly.

He moved his head slightly, he knew she was there. He kept his eyes on Granby. Granby walked closer, he stopped his hands near his holster. Kid knew the pose, he knew it well. "Don't do anything your going to be sorry for Granby. Why don't you just go on about your business." Kid told him.

"I am going about my business. Stopping you from taking my woman. Then I'm going after your friend."

"Thaddeus, please don't draw on him! Back away, please I love you!" Patrice called. "I don't want you to die!"

Kid kept his eyes on Granby, he didn't see Patrice come running to his side. Granby made his move, but Kid was quicker. Both men fired. Granby dropped his gun clutching at his shoulder, he fell to his knees. Kid caught Patrice as she fell into his arms. He dropped his gun. Patrice was pale as she moaned.

Heyes came galloping onto the scene he'd hoped he'd be able to stop, but he was too late. He slid off his horse. Kid sat in the street, Patrice cradled in his arms, a red stain spreading across her chest. Kid rocked her looking into her face, tears streaming freely down his cheeks.

She opened her eyes, looking deeply into his. "I'm sorry Thaddeus, I couldn't marry you. I... I love you." she said with her last breath.

Kid felt Mr. Andrews hand on his shoulder, he knelt down beside him to see his daughter. Heyes covered his face with his hands. He pulled them off, then kneeled down to Kid's level. Kid sat there, holding the girl he loved close. He stroked her hair, sobbing quietly.

"Thaddeus," Heyes started, "I tried to..."

"Tried to what Joshua? You tried to keep us apart. You had this great big problem that you wouldn't tell me about. Are you happy now? She's dead! I saw the telegram. You didn't show it to me, you wanted us to leave from the beginning! So now you got what you wanted ! I can't marry her now! So why don't you just leave!" Kid screamed at him his anger and sorrow erupting. Tears streamed down his face.

A crowd was gathering, the Sheriff pushed his way through. "We've arrested Granby." he said. He yelled at the crowd to go on about their business. He looked at the three men surrounding the girl. The young man holding the girl clearly the most upset. "Young fella, you gonna be alright?" the Sheriff asked.

"Sheriff please, could you just keep the people away, let him have sometime?" Heyes said, Kid's words had cut him deeply, but he wasn't about to leave his side no matter what he said or did.

Finally it was Mr. Andrews who broke through into Kid's sorrow. "Son, Patrice loved you very much. The fact is she couldn't marry you. You see she was dying. She wanted you away from here when her time came. She just wanted to see how it felt to love someone."

"She took the bullet that was meant for me. Why? If she knew she was dying, then why didn't she let me die too? We could have been together forever." Kid asked sobbing into her hair, then he looked at Heyes, "you knew she was dying. Why didn't you tell me? Was that the big secret, the problem? Why can't you let me be a man? Make my own decisions! Stop trying to protect me!" he screamed at Heyes.

"I asked him not to say anything to you. Patrice didn't want you to know. She wanted your love not your pity." Mr. Andrews said quietly. "Let's get her back inside the Doc's office, out of the street."

The doctor was there, he tried to take the girl's body away from Kid. He held her tightly.

"Touch her and I'll kill you!" kid hissed.

The Doctor backed away.

"Thaddeus, please let's take her inside." Mr. Andrews asked quietly.

Kid finally nodded. Very gently he stood up, cradling the girl he loved gently in his arms.

He met Heyes' eyes for a moment, then turned his back to him. He followed the Doctor and Mr. Andrews inside, closing the door before Heyes could enter.

Heyes stood facing the closed door. The pain he felt for his friend was deep, but the pain of what this was doing to their partnership was deeper. He couldn't lose Kid. He needed him. All they had were each other. He turned away, sitting on the steps. He would wait, for as long as it took , he would wait.

___________________________________

The funeral was held on a bright sunny morning. As the people who knew and loved Patrice drifted away after the service, they glanced warily at the blonde man who stood staring at the fresh mound of dirt, tightly gripping his hat in his hands. His lower lip quivering, a tear silently rolling down his cheek. They walked quietly past the dark haired man who stood alone, watching the other man afraid to say anything or go near him. Mr. Andrews stood near him. They were both silent. Mr. Andrews bent down, placing a flower near the head stone.

"She was a wonderful girl. She told me how well you treated her. She also told me about your childhood and the special bond between you and Joshua. Patrice wouldn't want you to be angry with him. It was our wish that you did not know about her illness. Joshua also knew that Granby wanted you out of the way. Joshua loves you very much, the only way he could figure to not let you get hurt was to try to get you to leave. I did let both of you go. That man over there wouldn't hurt you for the world. Please talk to him, none of this is his fault."

Kid said nothing. He turned walking away from the man who might have been his father in law. When he approached Heyes he stopped for a second, not looking at him then he walked on. Getting on his horse, he rode off not looking back.

"I tried Joshua, I'm sorry about this. You were right, we should have told him the truth." Mr. Andrews offered him his hand. "I hope you can make it up with him, this isn't what Patrice wanted."

Heyes shook the man's hand. "I wish this had turned out differently. I'm sorry for your daughter, but she saved his life, and I'm grateful to her for that." he sighed. "I just hope I can get through to him. I'd better go, he'll be getting far ahead. Take care of yourself Mr. Andrews and again I'm truly sorry." Heyes tipped his hat, then mounting his horse breaking into a lope, he rode after his friend.

___________________________________

Heyes followed Kids trail, it was circling around heading back toward the Andrews ranch. The trail led to a meadow. He found Kid sitting under a large tree. He was calmly tearing a wild flower to bits, he didn't look up as Heyes approached. Heyes got off his horse, standing there awkwardly not knowing what to say. His silver tongue letting him down. The silence between them so loud it was like an explosion.

"I'm sorry Kid . How can I fix this? Talk to me!" Heyes pleaded. "I can't stand to have it this way between us!"

"Why didn't you tell me she was gonna die? You knew the day we went on the picnic. I thought you were just worried about Granby. You didn't think I could take him!" Kid was getting louder. "I'm not that ten year old kid anymore! I can handle adult problems! You're my cousin, not my father!"

"I truly sorry Kid, I didn't want you hurt. I care too much about you. I promised Andrews I wouldn't say anything. I should have told you what Andrews said, I should have given you the choice to handle it your own way. I'm sorry Kid, I was wrong. Please forgive me."

Heyes was begging him. He never begged. Maybe he was really sorry. "I'm sorry I gave you that shiner. Does it hurt?" Kid asked quietly.

Heyes laughed, touching his cheek. "No, not anymore." he sat down next to his friend. "That was some fight. When's the last time we had a fight like that?"

"We never did. I hope we never do again." Kid said.

Heyes dug into his pants pocket, pulling out the money Andrews had paid them. He counted out Kid's share, handing it to him. Kid took the money, looking at it. They sat there in silence, each not knowing what to say next.

Finally Kid got up mounting his horse. He turned to Heyes. "You coming?"

"You want me too?" Heyes asked.

"Ya know Heyes, sometimes I worry about you. Of course I want you too!'

Heyes mounted his horse, grinning his lovable grin at his best friend. "I know Kid , I know." he said.

 

end