Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
16,485
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
24
Hits:
2,719

Friends To Last A Life Time

Summary:

The boys are kidnapped

Work Text:

 

Friends To Last A Life Time
by Dorothy Cutillo

 

The saloon was filled with smoke, the music loud, the beer cold.

Kid Curry was enjoying a happy conversation with a pretty saloon girl at the bar. He drained the last of his beer, ordering another he glanced at his partner playing poker at a table in the corner.

Hannibal Heyes had his black hat tilted back on his head, a hint of a smile on his face. His dark eyes taking in every move at the table. He had a pile of money before him. The hand quickly came to an end. Heyes easily taking the pot with a pair of two's and three ten's.

The cowboy across from Heyes bowed out of the game. He'd lost enough, but learned what he wanted to know. He got out of the chair, walking across the room to the opposite side of the bar, joining two men already there. He ordered whiskey. "That's him, the one with the black hat. That's Hannibal Heyes." he said to the man with grey hair. "The blonde with the girl, that's Kid Curry." he nodded slightly.

"You're sure that's them?"

The cowboy nodded, "As sure as I know my Ma. I was on a train they robbed once. I can't figure why you want them two. As I recall, they tried to blow the safe with wet dynamite. Then they haul the safe offen the train and leave a trail a blind man could folla."

"It's no concern of yours why I want them. Listen to me carefully," he said to both men standing on either side of him, " I want them both unharmed. Bring them to me separate or together. Just make sure you get them both." he threw some money on the bar turning to leave, "Tonight will be fine." He left the saloon.

Two hours later the poker game started to break up. Heyes scooped up his money, then looked at Kid. He was smiling at the girl having a good time. He happened to glance toward Heyes a silent conversation passed between them. Heyes was calling it a night and going back to the hotel. Curry gave him an unnoticeable nod, then turned back to the girl. Heyes left the table, he walked out of the swinging saloon door. He paused a moment to stretch, then walked along the boardwalk toward the hotel.

A cowboy stepped out of the shadows facing him, he stood in Heyes' path. Heyes nodded to the man trying to step past, only to be blocked again.

"Evening." Heyes said.

He noticed two more men step behind him. One was an Indian dressed as a cowboy. The give away was his long black hair.

"Don't make a sound. You're coming with us."

"Well I don't recall being invited. Even if I was invited, why would I want to go with you?"

"You don't have ta know why, you just are." The cowboy was as tall as Heyes, but heavier.

"Well I don't figure that would be a good idea since I have other plans that just don't fit with my going with you. Now if you'll excuse me I'd like to get by."

There was a click from behind Heyes of a gun being cocked, he glanced behind . The Indian had his gun drawn, he jabbed Heyes in the back. "Down the alley." he said.

Heyes turned to go down the alley, as he did the first cowboy took the gun out of his holster. He gave it to the third cowboy. "Tie him tight and gag him. Elk you stay with him, if he tries anything bust his head open."

They tied his hands tightly behind him, tied his arms down as well. They gagged him so tightly he tasted blood, then they pushed him to the ground.

"Elk here will do as I say." the cowboy sneered at him, "Now Joe and me are gonna go get that partner of yourn. The Boss wants you both, but you best better hope that blondie don't give us no trouble cause you're the one the Boss wants most." he turned to leave, " C'mon Joe. You know what to do Elk. If we don't come back kill him and get outta here."

They left Heyes sitting on the ground, Elk with his gun pointed at his head and a wicked grin on his face.

An hour later, Curry declined the girl's offer to go up to her room for the night. He bowed out saying he and his friend were leaving early in the morning and it wouldn't be proper to sneak out on her. He walked across the street not taking the path Heyes had taken earlier.

After retrieving his room key, he went up stairs. When he opened the door he was shocked to see his friend was not there. He looked around the room, their belongings were still where they had left them. Where was Heyes? He was about to go look for him when he was hit from behind. Kid fell to the floor unconscious.

Elk and Heyes heard them coming back with horses. He didn't let any emotion show when he saw Kid tied across the back of the horse. Kid wasn't moving. Heyes felt his anger rising, they didn't have no cause to treat Kid like a sack of meal.

Joe and Elk roughly pulled Heyes to his feet, before he realized what was happening, he too was struck on the back of the head. He slumped, but was caught before he fell, then thrown roughly onto the back of a horse and tied just as Curry was. Thankfully neither of them would remember the ride they were forced to take that night.

_______________________________________

They were in a dark place. Kid struggled to move, but he found himself securely tied, his hands behind his back legs bound together. His mouth was dry, but there was no gag in it. He struggled, turning on his side. His head ached, but the only thing on his mind right at the moment was where was Heyes?

As his eyes adjusted he saw a form, Heyes!... he was here, thank God they were together! Heyes was tied up as he was, only he was gagged. What ever was happening to them, Heyes' silver tongue hadn't helped. "Hey, Joshua you awake?"

No answer.

Kid tried to see better in the dim light. "Wake up!" he inched himself around until he could nudge Heyes with his bound feet. He kicked at him easy at first, then with more effort. "Wake up. C'mon!"

Heyes started to move, then Kid heard him breathe in sharply as he realized he could not move and had no idea where he was or how he got there.

"Easy Partner, easy. I'm here with ya." Kid said quietly, his cousin calmed slightly. "I don't know where here is buddy, or how or why we're here but we're together. You hurt or anything? I know you're gagged, just nod."

He shook his head no, then tried to roll over. He was wedged against the wall and couldn't move. He tried to struggle, but there was no sense to it. He sighed through his nose, giving up the struggle.

"Do you have any idea what's going on?" Kid asked he was trying to loosen the ropes tied to his wrists yet again.

"Ungh."

"Yeah, me neither. Somebody whomped me in the head. I was about to go looking for you. Guess I found ya."

"Ungh ungh!"

"No need to get proddy."

The door opened letting in sunlight, blinding them at the same time. The ropes binding their feet were cut. They were roughly pulled to standing, then shoved outside. They blinked in the sunlight their eyes adjusting.

Adobe buildings were scattered about. There was a corral with horses milling about. They were surrounded by five men, one was the Indian, Elk who was with Heyes in the alley.

"Well gentlemen, I hope you rested well." the tall man with grey hair said to them. "I thought it would be harder getting you two here, but it was quite easy."

Heyes and Curry glanced at each other. "Just why do you want us here?" Kid asked.

"I have a little job I need doing."

"It can't be an honest job if you had to get us here by kidnapping." Kid said.

"Your right young man it isn't honest, but if I have to use force to persuade you both to do it, I most surely will."

"Why us? We don't know you. We're just a couple of out of work cowboys. You have plenty of men here. Why do you need us?"

"I need his expertise."

"His what?" Kid asked.

Heyes rolled his eyes, he tried to say something but the gag stopped him. "I need his safe cracking ability and you for incentive that he open it." The man stated .

"Hey now wait a minute, just who do you think we are?" Kid asked trying to bluff their way out.

"Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry."

"The outlaws? Us? Oh, I'm sorry but you got the wrong people here. So why don't you let us loose and we'll ride outta here and forget the whole thing ever happened."

The grey haired man slapped Kid across the face. Heyes tried to butt into the man, but Elk stepped in punching Heyes hard in the stomach then knocking his feet out so he landed on his knees. Heyes bent over to try to ease the pain in his stomach.

"You son of a...." Kid started but was again back handed.

"So what they say about you two is true. Each of you could care less what happens to yourself, but don't lay a hand on the other." He reached behind his back and pulled Kid's gun from his belt. He looked it over then pointed it at Kid. "This is a very fine piece of weaponry. Very clean and well balanced." He handed the gun to Elk and nodded.

Elk opened the gun, an evil grin on his face. He removed all the bullets dropping the to the ground. All except one. He put that back in a chamber clicking the gun shut. He looked at Kid and smiled.

"Now we're going to play a little game. We will continue to play the game until you agree to join us in the job I want done or until, it ends." He nodded at Elk.

Elk spun the gun barrel, then placed the barrel against Heyes' temple who was still kneeling on the ground. Elk pulled the trigger before Kid had a chance to object. The gun clicked, it didn't fire.

Heyes, knelt there absolutely still, keeping his breathing even. Only Kid knew what the man was feeling inside, Heyes wouldn't let it show he'd die first.

"Are you crazy!" Kid shouted at them.

He was now being held by two men. Elk spun the chamber again, put the gun to Heyes' head and pulled the trigger. It seemed like an eternity to hear the click.

"We can play all day if you boys would like, but sooner or later the bullet will fill the chamber and fire. It's your friend's life your gamboling with Mr. Curry."

Heyes and Kid locked eyes. A silent conversation paced between them. Don't give in Kid, they won't kill me if they need me so bad. But Heyes how do we know the bullet isn't in the chamber?

Elk spun the barrel. Heyes froze. Click.

Curry had small beads of sweat on his forehead. This man was crazy, this game insane. They didn't even know what it was that he wanted them to do?

Heyes was amazing him yet again. The man could be dead with the next pull of the trigger, yet he was perfectly calm. He must be as crazy as this guy was.

"You're wasting time Mr. Curry. You have a decision to make for yourself and your friend."

"Your insane." The gun barrel spun. "Wait, let's talk this over!" Kid was losing his nerve. Click.

Heyes closed his eyes, letting air out through his nose.

"How many more chances do you think he has left Mr. Curry? One, two and I hope you realize not only will you be killing your friend, it will be done with your gun. Think about what the newspaper headlines will read. Hannibal Heyes dead. Bullet in head by Kid Curry. Curry wanted for murder. Even your outlaw friends would be after you."

The barrel spun again.

"What are you going to do Curry? How many chances does he have left?"

Click.

Elk was enjoying this game. He could do this all day, watching the blonde sweat it out. The other guy, he was hard. His eyes cold dark brown orbs that held no fear at all. For some reason Elk hated this man. He would enjoy watching this man die, even though he would make a good Indian warrior. Not like the coward he himself was. Elk spun the barrel again. The gun was placed at Heyes' temple.

"Okay, okay enough! Don't pull the trigger! We'll do what you want." Kid gave in.

Heyes dropped his head to his chest. He didn't know if he was relieved for it to be over, or mad at Kid for giving in.

"I'm glad you've finally decided to see it my way. Just for laughs, Elk point that gun away and let's see what happens." the grey haired man said.

Elk pointed the gun in the air and pulled the trigger. The gun went off.

"You made a smart choice."

________________________________________________

They were put back in the storeroom, hands still tied but not their feet. As soon as they were sure the men where gone, they went back to back to work on the ropes binding their hands together. It didn't take long before the ropes fell away.

Heyes pulled the gag from his mouth and turned to Kid "Why'd you agree to a job that's illegal? We don't even know what it is that they want us to do, they may want us to kill somebody ?" he asked his eyes flashing.

"You are crazy! They were gonna kill you! If I didn't give in that last pull..." Kid's voice cracked.

If Elk had, had the gun to Heyes' head he would be dead now. Kid let his knees buckle, he sat on the ground. "You would be dead now Heyes." he said quietly.

Heyes looked down at Kid. Suddenly this strong young man looked a lot like that scared ten year old they left behind a lifetime ago. He kneeled down to his lifelong friend. "It's alright." he said quietly, "It's okay Kid, I'm not dead, we're going to get out of here. Kid c'mon look at me." Heyes peered into Kid's face smiling the smile only Kid ever saw.

Kid looked up at him, Heyes could see the large amount of strain on his young face. He realized just how scared Kid really had been. "They wouldn't have killed me."

"How do you know that? How could they tell when the bullet would be in the chamber? Of course they would have killed you, they're crazy!"

"Well they didn't," Heyes was getting back to being himself. "Now we have to get out of here. I don't intend to do any job for that guy." He began to pace back and forth.

Kid shook his head as he watched him pace. The man had nerves of steel. If he was at all scared out there today no one would ever know. "How do you s'pose they knew who we are? You recognize any of them?"

he paced. "Nope, not a one."

"Me either." Pace - pace , "the way I figure it, it has to be a bank job, but the town they took us from didn't seem to be all that swanky. Couldn't be that much money in that bank."

"Maybe it ain't a bank, maybe it's something else. Could be anything." Kid said watching Heyes as he paced, hand covering his mouth deep in thought.

"First we gotta see if we can get outta here." he stopped by the door, running his hands over it. The hinges were hidden, the door was bolted shut from the outside.

"Can you open it?"

"It would be easy if I had something to pry it open with, but there's nothing in here but us." He turned to Kid, "this guy had this hole waiting for us, somehow he knew we were in town as well as who we are. I'm gonna find out why one way or another."

"We gotta get outta here first. I'm thirsty and getting hungry."

Heyes grinned at his partner. He was always hungry. No matter what was happening, Curry always had an appetite. Heyes left the door, starting to examine the walls. They were solid, there was only a very small window too high up to reach. "We're stuck." Heyes finally giving up his search. He leaned against the wall letting his body slide down to the floor to join his friend. He buried his face in his hands.

"Heyes?"

"Yeah?"

"Were you scared out there today?"

Heyes was quiet as he thought back to the gun barrel against his temple. Had he been scared? Part of him wasn't. It would have ended. He wouldn't have to run anymore, wouldn't have to keep looking over his shoulder. "Yeah, I was scared. For you. I was afraid of what you would have done. Kid I don't want you to die for me. I don't ever want that." He spoke in a whisper, "I don't want to lose you either."

They sat in silence for a while, each comforted by the other's presence. Comforted by the deep bond they had for each other.

_____________________________________

They must have fallen asleep, neither realized it until they were pulled to their feet. They were pushed outside. It was dark, the men had guns pointed in their backs.

"Where are you taking us now?" Heyes asked, "more torture?"

"Boss wants you for dinner." the large man said.

"How nice, do we need to dress for the occasion?"

"You have a smart mouth, I oughtta shut it for you!" the large man stood nose to nose with Heyes.

Heyes smiled coldly. "If you do that I won't be able to eat dinner. What would the boss think if his guest couldn't eat?"

The big man balled his fist to strike Heyes, when the other stopped him. "Hold off Ned, he's tryin to rile ya, so's he could try somethin . They say this one is real smart."

Heyes threw a quick grin at Kid, then looked back to Ned. He didn't see Kid roll his eyes, but he knew he did.

"If he's so smart, how'd he get took so easy?" Ned asked.

"Anybody can have an off day." Heyes shrugged.

They were shoved toward the house. Once inside they saw the table was set with four plates. It was a large room with a door off to one side. No doubt a bedroom. Elk sat in a chair in the corner, a rifle across his lap. He stared at Heyes with deep hatred.

Heyes in turn looked back without any concern.

Joe was at the stove stirring a pot of stew. "Sit down boys." Joe nodded at the table.

They looked at each other. Ned shoved them. Kid threw him a glance. Ned looked back at him daring him to try something. Heyes knew Kid would try something that would most likely get them both killed, so he stepped to the table, sitting down he nodded for Kid to join him. Kid threw Ned one more glance, then a quick look at Elk. He sat next to Heyes.

"Hope you like stew." Joe ladled out some for them.

They didn't touch it.

"Don't worry boys taint poisoned. Go ahead and eat."

"There are two more settings," Heyes asked.

"Who are they for?"

"Nosey ain't we? There for me and the Boss that's who."

"I think we've a right to be careful, the way we've been treated here." Kid spoke his voice as cold as his blue eyes.

The Boss came into the room. "I hate to hear that my guests don't like their treatment. This afternoon was all in fun after all. No one was hurt." He sat down taking Heyes' plate, giving him the empty one. "You don't trust the food. Give him another plate. You sit too, Joe." He picked up a fork and began to eat. "See nothing wrong with it. Have a biscuit."

Joe filled the plates, then sat down. He began to eat.

Heyes knew Kid was hungry, but he also knew Kid wouldn't eat unless he did, so he tried the stew. "It's not bad Thaddeus, go ahead try it." Kid hesitated then began to eat. Heyes picked up a biscuit holding it over the stew, he broke it into small pieces chewing them slowly. Never taking his eyes off the Boss.

"You are either a very stubborn man or a fool, Mr. Heyes." The Boss spoke, "you would have let Elk shoot you. There was no fear in you at all, just as there is no fear now. In either of you, I like that."

"So we're not afraid of you." Heyes shrugged, "just why did you bring us here, would you like to tell us about this job you so urgently need us to do?" Heyes' tone was quiet, even, a tone of a man who was through and ready to fight.

"Let me remind you that your method of asking nicely needs improvement."

"I am in a position where I don't have to ask, I tell. What I want is done no questions asked. If you boys want to stay alive you will do exactly as I tell you to do."

He had Kid's attention now also. "It sounds to me like your threatening us."

"I am Mr. Curry, I am. You both will do as I tell you too. We are going to rob a bank."

"Are we now?" asked Heyes. "You seemed to have overlooked one small detail, he is not Curry and I am not Heyes. We've been mistaken for those two before."

"I happen to know the contrary. I have an eye witness to one of your train robberies, should he be mistaken if I were you, I'd quickly learn to open a safe between here and the bank, or die."

The boys looked at their host. Kid's blue eyes as cold as ice, his partner's dark brown eyes hiding what he was feeling. His face a stone mask, he let no emotion show.

"We'll be leaving shortly. You will be tied until we reach our destination. Some of my men are already there, armed hiding in various places. Should either of you try to escape you both will be killed. After we enter the bank you will open the safe. Mr. Curry will have a gun pointed in his side. If you try any tricks he will be shot through the belly, a wound that will cause him to die very slowly and quite painfully. I will have a bag ready for the money. We will leave together, if everything goes as planned at a safe distance you will be released unharmed. You will have two train tickets to a place of your choosing."

"And if something goes wrong?" Heyes asked.

"Then your both dead."

"What about the Sheriff? Do you have a floor plan of the bank? I need to see a set up." Heyes pushed away from the table, beginning to pace. A sure sign that he was thinking. His movement confused Kid, he seemed to be turning into the old Heyes. The one that lived for the thrill and challenge of a bank robbery.

"The Sheriff will be called away on some trumped up call. The floor plan is simple, one room, front door main area, office area, safe, side door."

"What type of safe is it?"

"Brooker Dunsfield 1884"

Heyes paused a moment, the safe was one he'd never seen before. They were in trouble. Kid knew something was up by his partner's movement. Heyes started to pace again. "What's the time frame?"

"You'll have three hours."

"That long? When do we leave?"

The man nodded to Elk. He stood, reaching be hind the chair he was sitting on, he pulled out a bow and a quiver of arrows. He draped them over his shoulder. He paused as he passed Heyes giving him an evil mocking grin, then strode out the door shutting it behind.

When he left Joe who had been sitting quietly at the table, pulled out his revolver, making them aware of his presence. "As soon as the horses are ready." the Boss said.

"One more question, since you think we're those outlaw fella's just who are you?'

"My name's Mitchem, Earl Mitchem." the grey haired man said.

"Well Mr. Mitchem, I surely hope you have this planned out well. I'd hate to see anyone hurt. Especially us." Heyes nodded toward Kid.

_________________________________________

They rode quietly into the sleeping town. There was no one on the street. The buildings were dark. Mr. Mitchem motioned for them to dismount. There were only the four of them at the bank. Kid looked around the dark town. Mitchem said he had men hidden, they were hidden well. That is if they were out there.

Joe cut their hands loose. "Mr. Heyes, pick the lock." Joe said as he cocked the gun in the middle of Kid's back.

Heyes hesitated, then with two fingers he pulled a metal pick from the inside of his left boot. He knelt, inserted the pick in the lock, the door opened easily. Heyes hoped he could open the safe as easy.

Joe winked at Mitchem, he knew he was right about who these two were. They slipped inside the bank.

Heyes saw the safe right away. He'd never opened one of this type before, in fact it was his first time seeing one of these. He'd heard of them, but he just wasn't sure. He looked at Kid. I don't know if I can open it.

Kid gave him a very small grin. Sure you can, just clear your mind.

Heyes knelt by the safe, he put his ear to the door. He began to turn the dial. He knew their lives depended on his opening this safe. Once he opened it, he couldn't let Mitchum get away with the money. If he did there went their amnesty. Even though they were being forced to rob the bank who would believe them?

Mitchem had his gun on Heyes, Joe had kid on the side, his gun pointed at Curry's belly. If he pulled the trigger Kid would die a painful death.

The pressure was on Heyes. The door was thick, he couldn't hear the tumblers drop. Turning the dial very slowly one number at a time, he felt rather the heard the tumbler drop. It seemed like hours before the next tumbler fell into place, but it was only minutes. He spun the dial hopefully this was the last number. Not knowing this safe, he didn't know if this was a three or five digit safe. He found the third digit, the door didn't open. He looked at Mitchem. "Five numbers." he told the man. It felt like an eternity, but he found the last two numbers. He tried the handle, the door swung open.

Inside the safe were stacks of money. Kid had no doubt in his mind that Heyes would open the safe. He also knew that they couldn't let them steal the money. He stood waiting for Heyes to lead the way. He knew his partner had a plan. That is he hoped his partner had a plan.

Heyes had no plan. His mind was working frantically as he helped Mitchem load the bag.

Suddenly without warning, Heyes lunged at Mitchem, his shoulder hitting into the man knocking him off balance and crashing to the floor.

It was what Curry was waiting for. As Joe's attention was drawn away, Curry grabbed the revolver from Joe's hand and very swiftly knocked him out cold.

Heyes grabbed the satchel of money from Mitchem's hand. In one easy move threw it back into the safe, slamming the door shut before Mitchem knew what hit him. They both bolted for the door to the horses waiting outside. They let Mitchem and Joe's horses loose, then jumped on their own herding the loose horses ahead of them, running full out. Mitchem came running into the street.

"Shoot them you idiots! Shoot them dead!" He screamed.

The boys were already past most of Mitchem's gunmen, as shots chased them down the street out of town.

At the end of the street from a balcony a figure stood quietly in the darkness. He pulled back on his bow, letting the arrow fly. The arrow soared through the air swiftly, silently, deadly.

Kid heard the thud of the arrow hitting it's mark, he saw Heyes lurch to the side grabbing the horn of his saddle. He didn't fall, there wasn't a better rider anywhere then Heyes. He stuck to his horse even with an arrow imbedded deep in his shoulder.

Kid drew his horse next to his friend, he grabbed for the reins. "Just hold on!" Kid yelled.

They were out of the town heading down the road. Kid knew Mitchem would be hot on their trail. The man would want Heyes badly. Throwing the money along with Mitchem's satchel back into the safe and shutting the door, how was Mitchem going to explain his way out of that? He would want Heyes, but Curry wasn't about to let him find either one of them.

He turned the horses off the road, letting the loose horse go where they wanted. It was dark, hard to see. Heyes couldn't get far with that arrow sticking from his shoulder. They needed to find someplace to stop. Somewhere safe.

"Kid we gotta stop."

For Heyes to ask to stop, Kid knew he was hurt badly. He looked around, there was a small stream, beyond that some large rocks surrounded by bushes and trees. Kid headed that way. They were well away from the road. The place was even better when they got there. Rocks had fallen from a ridge above making a small cave.

Kid helped Heyes down and settled him in the cave. He tethered the horses where they wouldn't be seen. Heyes was lying with his eyes shut, the arrow jutting from his left shoulder. The moon came out from behind a passing cloud giving Kid enough light to see. There was a darker spot on Heyes' black shirt where the arrow entered the flesh.

"Gotta get the arrow out Kid." Heyes opened his eyes, giving Kid a small smile, "I can't go around with this sticking outta me forever."

"Heyes I...."

"You gotta do it Kid, go ahead give it a pull."

Curry took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. He took hold of the shaft of the arrow and began to pull.

Heyes' body stiffened against the pain. "Pull harder!" he gasped.

Curry pulled.

Suddenly there was a sharp crack. Kid fell back, the shaft in his hands. His face had a look of shock and fear. He had a deep pain in the pit of his stomach. "The shaft broke, the arrow head is still in there." Kid said softly to his closest friend.

"I guess we got us a problem." Heyes croaked. "Plug up the hole with my bandanna. Give me a minute to rest, then we'll get outta here." He closed his eyes. He was breathing heavy.

Kid did his best to stop the bleeding. He couldn't move Heyes tonight, best to wait until morning.

In town Mitchem was reeling. Those two, he wanted them, and this time when he had them the gun to their heads would be fully loaded.

Elk told him he'd hit the dark haired one, but that wasn't good enough. He sent his men to search for them, but they lost them in the darkness. They would be hard to find, with all the practice they had hiding from posse's. The Sheriff would be due back soon. He left the town, his men following. There was no proof that the satchel in the safe belonged to him. He was safe there for the moment. He wanted those two, especially Heyes and he was going to find them.

________________________________________________

The sun was rising. It was going to be a warm day. They had no food with them, no canteens. Heyes would need water before they left. So far he didn't seem feverish, but with that arrowhead in his shoulder, Kid knew it wouldn't be long before infection set in.

Heyes began to stir. A dull throbbing in his shoulder reminded him of the night before. He shifted, pain like a bolt of lightning shooting through his body. He closed his eyes tightly as a shudder ran through his body. When it passed he opened his eyes to look into the sky blue eyes of the Kid.

"Is it bad?'

"I'm fine." he ran his good hand over his face. "We got to get outta here, where are the horses?"

"Are you sure? Do you think you can make it to the stream for a drink?"

"Just get the horses, we have to put some distance between us and Mitchem. I can ride, let's go." he struggled to get up.

Kid got the horses, helped Heyes into the saddle then they set off. They rode for two hours, neither spoke. Kid kept a close watch on Heyes as well as the area around them. There wasn't any sigh of anyone following them, at least not yet. The area they rode through was hard going, even if you weren't hurt. How Heyes stayed on his horse, he would never know. Most likely it was just plain stubbornness.

Above the rise Kid spotted smoke, chimney smoke. He looked up at the sky saying a silent prayer, Please lord, let there be help. A rough shod cabin came into view. There was a wagon and a couple of horses in a make shift corral. Smoke was coming from the chimney.

Kid glanced at Heyes, he was slumped over his horses neck, but he was awake. "Stay here. I'm going to the cabin." Kid told him.

He rode into the yard stopping in front of the cabin. "Hello inside the house!" he called.

The door opened, a middle aged man with a scruffy beard came out. He shaded his eyes from the sun. "Morning, what brings you out this way young fella?"

"My cousin, I.... we need help. He has an arrow in his shoulder. He's real bad, I need help."

"Arrow huh? Where's he at? Best go get him." the man said. "Bring him on in, can't do much for him here though, just a line shack. Well what'er yer waitin fer? Go get him."

Kid went back for Heyes, he was where he'd left him. "It hurts Kid."

"I know Heyes, I know. That's a line shack, man there says to bring you in." He reached for the reins, then led the way back to the line shack.

The man was waiting out front for them. He shielded his eyes , then let out a whistle when he saw the blood soaking the front of Heyes' shirt.

"Let's get him inside." He helped Kid bring Heyes in. Each took him under the arms, carry walking him into the shack.

It was a one room shack. There was a table with two chairs, a bed, and fireplace. They laid him down on the bed.

"Arrow head still in there? It's gotta come out. Jack Bently's my name." he thrust his hand at Kid. He shook the man's hand quickly.

"I'm Jones, he's Smith." Kid said, he began to take off the bloodied shirt. "Can you get the head out?'

"Not me son" Jack shook his head, "Hands are no good, arttheritis, couldn't hold the knife to get it out. Your gonna have to do it boy. How'd he happen to get an arrow stuck in him anyway?"

"We had a run in with a guy named Mitchem and his pals. The one they call Elk, shot him on our way out of town."

"Elk is a little coward. Sold out his own people. Wants to be a white man." he talked as he moved about the room.

Kid wasn't paying too much attention to what he was doing. Jack moved over to the fireplace and began to poke the fire with an iron poker, then he shoved it into the fire and left it there. He pulled out a sharp knife from a sheath hanging nearby, stuck that in the fire as well.

Heyes looked up at Kid, he was pale. He took some water from Kid, looking up at him he tried to smile to reassure him.

Jack took the knife out of the fire, cooling it off in a bucket of water then nudged Curry on the shoulder. "It's gotta come out boy."

Kid took the knife, looked at it then at Jack, finally he looked at Heyes.

He was clearly in pain but wouldn't admit it. "Get it out Thaddeus." His dark brown eyes showed the trust and faith he had in his friend.

"I don't, what if..." he began but Heyes stopped him by reaching up with his good hand and placing it on his upper arm.

"Get it out, please."

Kid looked at him, he felt sick. He took the knife, closed his eyes in a silent prayer. Taking a deep breath he began to cut into the wound.

Heyes' body stiffened, his head digging into the pillow. He bit his lower lip until it bled, eyes closed tight. He didn't make a sound out of sheer willpower. He wouldn't let Kid know how much it hurt. It seemed like hours, but was only a short time.

Kid had the arrowhead. He dropped it on the floor.

Heyes' eyes were shut, he was breathing heavily. Sweat rolled down the side of his face. His shoulder was bleeding badly. Kid looked around at Jack.

'Good job son, but ya ain't done yet. Gotta stop the bleedin."

"He's right Thad." Heyes whispered, he had seen Jack stick the poker in the fire and knew what the man had in mind. Unfortunately Kid didn't. "You gotta stop the bleeding or I'm gonna die."

"How? Have we got something for bandages?" He really wasn't feeling well at all.

"You've got to cauterize it." Heyes whispered.

Kid's eyes grew wide, he began to shake his head, "No, you mean I've got to... No, I can't do it. I won't!" He stood up in a panic. "I can't hurt ya that way, I can't!"

"Kid, I'm gonna die if you don't." Heyes said very quietly, he was getting light headed, weak. Neither noticed that he used the name Kid. "Take the poker out of the fire and hold it inside the wound until the bleeding stops. Don't take it out until then. I need you to cover my back again."

Kid knew what he meant. Jack walked over to him with the red hot poker. Kid looked at him and took it.

Heyes smiled his best smile at him. Kid saw the glistening in his eye and knew. Kid stepped closer. Heyes nodded at him. Kid took the poker and stuck it into the open shoulder. Heyes screamed in total agony. It was a sound that Kid never heard his best friend make before and never wanted to hear again. The room was filled with the smell of burning flesh.

Heyes' scream was cut short as he mercifully passed into unconsciousness. Kid pulled the poker from his friends shoulder, he threw it on the floor as he stumbled out the door. He fell to the ground on his hands and knees, sobbing and retching at the same time.

When he finally pulled himself together he sat back on his heels. He looked at his blood stained hands, Heyes' blood, he began to vomit again.

Jack stood in the doorway watching the blonde man, then he turned to check the other. He was breathing.

_________________________________________

Mitchem was back at his adobe compound. He was angry. His men were stupid dolts. They couldn't find any sign of the two men he wanted dead. He couldn't get the money from the bank and now he was going to lose the twenty thousand on Heyes and Curry's heads, but more then anything he wanted them dead. He wanted to do it himself. He gave his men orders to find them and bring them back here, but they seemed to have disappeared, unless they didn't go on an easy trail that a wounded man would take, but on the opposite. A trail a wounded man wouldn't or shouldn't take. He strode to the door ripping it open, he bellowed for Joe....

________________________________________

Jack came out of the cabin, looked down at Kid as he passed. "You better pull yourself together, your friend's gonna be needin you. Wash up in the trough. I'm gonna harness up, we gotta get him to the main house. Miss Caroline, she'll help him."

Kid looked at the man. He couldn't get the sound of Heyes' scream from his mind. It kept echoing through his mind over and over, he'd hurt him, burned him. Kid didn't move.

Jack came back over to Kid grabbing him by the shoulders shaking him hard. The man's grip was surprisingly strong. "Get hold of yourself Son, you did what needed to be done. That young fella in there knew it had to be done an you did it. I know what's going on in your head an it ain't so. You saved his life, but he ain't outta the woods yet. We gotta move him. So get going.!"

Jack hated to yell at him. He was a grown man, yet he looked so young. Maybe thats why the other one called him Kid. He shrugged it off. He had the horses to harness and a wounded man to help.

They put the mattress in the back of the wagon to give Heyes an easier ride. Kid tied their horses to the back of the wagon, then jumped in next to his partner. Heyes was still unconscious. Jack took up the reins, they moved off.

Curry watched his friend as he lay there. Did he really know this man? They spent most of their lives together, yet Heyes always seemed to surprise him. He had to be the bravest man he knew, though he could be ruthless there was a gentle side to this dark haired man. He had a heart, and since they went straight that side was coming out more. Kid had no idea that Heyes thought the exact same thing about him. Kid told himself that Heyes would be okay, but the sound of the scream was buried in his memory. Heyes lost part of himself with that agonized cry. Kid hoped he wouldn't lose any more. He needed Heyes at his side.

Half way to the main house, Heyes stirred and moaned. Kid saw a flash of brown eyes, then a shudder ran through the man's body. He moaned again as he went out again. Kid was worried, his friend was pale, feverish. He wouldn't take the water that was offered to him, turning his head away from it.

"Don't worry son, we're almost at the main house. Miss Caroline will see to him, and you too. If ya don't mind my sayin, you don't look so good either."

"Thanks," Kid mumbled "I've got more then me to worry about, I've got him."

"You two are real close I take it?" Jack was trying to get the boy's mind on something else.

"Yeah, real close. We lost our families when we were kids. We're more then just cousins, we're best friends, brothers."

"It's good to have a friendship like that." Jack said, "always someone ya can count on." Jack turned around in the seat looking Kid square in the face. "He's gonna be alright. When a man's got a friendship like the two of you seem to have, it gives him something to fight for. A will to go on. Don't you worry none. If that young fella cares for you half as much as you do him, he'll be back to his old self before ya know it."

Kid looked at Heyes, he knew how much Heye's cared for him. He'd shown it more then once, more times then he could count. Kid hoped that Jack was right. Kid was busy thinking about what Jack had said, he didn't notice that they had pulled up to the main house.

The house was painted white with red shutters at the windows, with filled flower boxes. It was a very charming house.

"Miss Caroline, you in the house? I need you to come out Ma'am right quick! Hurry please!" Jack called.

The screen door opened and a very young woman came out wiping her hands on a towel. She wore a blue spotted dress, a wisp of dark blonde hair falling from the bun on the top of her head. She looked from Jack to the Kid. "What's wrong Jack? Who's your friend?"

"That's Thaddeus Jones. He and his friend had a run in with Mitchem and his boy's." Jack jumped off the wagon, going to the back "this one here is hurt, took an arrow in the shoulder."

Caroline looked at him confused, from where she stood she could only see Curry. She came closer peering into the back of the wagon. "Oh my God!" she gasped when she looked in the back of the wagon, "Bring him in quickly! Put him in Nate's bed. Be gentle."

Jack took him by the legs, Curry as easy he could lifted his shoulders. Heyes thankfully didn't wake up. They put him in bed, the room was just off the main room next to a stairway.

Caroline ran into the kitchen coming back with hot water, towels and a very sharp knife. "I'm sorry about his shirt, I"ll make him another." she said to Kid. She cut the shirt off Heyes' body to expose the wound. The makeshift bandage was crusted to the wound. Caroline very carefully wet it with a towel, then as gently as she could began to remove it. Heyes moaned in pain, she eased a little, but continued with her task. Finally removing it to expose the wound. It was swollen, a dark reddish purple color, some places mottled black. There was a thin red line running down his arm.

Kid felt light headed, dizzy, when he saw his friends shoulder. He moaned softly, covering his face with his hands. "Jack sit him down before he falls." Caroline realized that the blonde looked like he was in shock. "Send Ricky into Knoxville for the Doctor there. If they had a run in with Mitchem he'll expect them to be looking for a Doctor close by. Tell him to hurry as fast as possible, this looks like blood poison. Oh, and find Nate."

Jack set Curry down in a nearby chair. He gave him a nod and a wink, then left to do as Caroline said. A few minutes later a horse could be heard leaving, riding hard. "I'm not going to lie to you Mr. Jones, this is a very ugly wound. It looks burned, it's infected."

"I... I did that. I burned him with a poker." Curry whispered, "they said too, to stop the bleeding. He screamed. I hurt him." the last word came out a sob.

She stopped tending Heyes and turned to the other man. He sat slumped in the chair, tears streaming down his face. At the moment he was more hurt then his friend. She cupped his chin with her hand, raising his face up to her. He looked at her with tears in his brilliant blue eyes. He was a grown man, but she could see the immense sorrow in him, the vulnerability of a child about to lose a parent. "You didn't do this to that man in the bed there. Jack said Mitchem is involved in this, most likely Elk did this. If anything you helped him, he could have bled to death. You stopped that."

"He can't die, we've only got each other." His eyes darkened "we've got to get Mitchem and Elk. I don't know why he's done this we're nobody." the look on his face scared her, it was the face of a killer.

"Mitchem isn't an easy man to deal with. He..." she didn't get to finish as Nate and Jack came into the room.

"Jack says we have visitor's?" Nate walked over to Kid extending his hand.

Kid noticed he had a pronounced limp. Kid stood up the take his hand.

"Nate Ramsey. I"m Caroline's brother. You'd be?" "Thaddeus Jones." he looked at Heyes, " He's my cousin, Joshua Smith. He took an arrow from one of Earl Mitchem's men."

"I sent Ricky for a Doctor." Caroline said.

Nate went to look closer at the wound, he felt the man's forehead. He was wet with sweat. "He has a fever, his wound looks really bad. This red line, we'd better cool him down. Jack get a bucket of cold water."

"How long do you think it will take the Doctor to get here?" Kid asked.

"Two maybe three hours if he isn't busy." Caroline said.

Jack came back with the bucket of water. Nate put some towels into the water, wringing them out he placed them across Heyes' chest and arms. He folded one across his forehead. Heyes didn't move. "This should bring the fever down some, we just have to keep changing them." Nate said "So Thaddeus how did you boys get involved with Mitchem?"

"He kidnaped us. It was a case of mistaken identity. He thought Joshua could open a safe in the bank. He held a gun on me while Joshua tried to do as he asked, but we got away. That's when Elk hit him with an arrow. We hid in the rocks, then found Jack at the lineshack."

"That's all he did? Mitchem must be mellowing these days."

"No, he did more. Held a gun to Joshua's head with one bullet. Kept pulling the trigger until we agreed to do as he asked."

"Now that sounds like him." Nate said "Mitchem is used to getting his way. The folks around here are fed up with it. We've a chance to start making this town into a real town, not just one with a hotel and a saloon. We've got a chance to build a Church, a school and the railroad is interested in putting a stop here, but we've got to come up with the money to build. We bought the best safe we could and started to save money. We raised close to twenty thousand dollars, with Mitchem trying to ruin it every step of the way." he changed the towels on Heyes. "He'll be fine for a few moments, I"m hungry. Let's eat something."

They started for the kitchen, Curry held back reluctant to leave Heyes.

"You need to eat something." Caroline touched him gently on the arm. He was very attractive, there was something about this man that drew her to him. "I know you're hungry, we all do for that matter."

He turned his beautiful eyes to her. "And how do you know that I'm hungry?"

"Well for one thing your belly has been growling since you got here."

He laughed, looking away embarrassed. His face took on a whole new appearance. She liked this face. "I admit I am hungry, it's just that I ..."

She interrupted him "He's resting, you have to eat something. I'll fix everyone something to eat. While your eating, I'll come and sit with him. It won't be long before the Doctor comes."

He nodded to her in agreement, he looked once more at Heyes. Kid hoped Heyes didn't start talking. He did that when he had fever. His mind couldn't stay still.

They went into the kitchen. Caroline fixed them all something to eat. She had made soup stock earlier that day, she ladled out a bowl. "I'm going to see if he'll take this, with that fever he needs fluids." she left with the bowl.

The three of them Nate, Jack, and Curry sat at the table. Nate looked at Kid, studying his face. He looked younger then he was. He was a good looking kid. "Mitchem doesn't want this town on the map. He wants to rule the area. Keep the people under his control. He has the gun power to do that now." Nate began between bites. "I tried to stand up to him and got this limp for my efforts."

"Nate here was the Sheriff until he took an arrow in the hip. Elk got him too." Jack said.

Curry felt the color drain from his face. Nate used to be a Sheriff. Then another thought hit him, he took an arrow in the hip from Elk now he was crippled. What if the same thing happened to Heyes' arm?

"What's wrong son? Ya look kinda funny." asked Jack.

"What if he loses his arm? What about that red line?"

"Oh, you think because I limp now? The arrow went into the bone in my hip. It didn't heal correct. Your friend's didn't hit bone. We got to worry about the infection, that could kill him."

Curry lost his appetite, he felt sick. Real sick.

The fever had gone up while they were in the kitchen. Heyes was burning. Caroline put the soup down to change the cold towels. The wound looked worse. He opened his eyes briefly, she caught a quick glimpse of dark brown eyes before they closed again.

He tossed his head back and forth, breathing heavily. "No, no don't!" he moaned "Get the dynamite Kid, the bank's gonna blow!"

"Shhh, it's alright. Everything is going to be fine." she tried to soothe him.

"The train Curry, the trains coming, posse can't get us now!"

What was he talking about? She wondered who these two strangers were. Who was Curry? She tried again to give him some broth, he turned his head away.

"NO!" he shouted, "Kid don't draw the Sheriff's watching! Don't do it!"

She wiped at the sweat running down his face.

"Jed your folks, my folks there dead. We gotta go! Don't shoot him Kid!"

"He's out of his mind with fever." Caroline said out loud. "I hope the Doctor gets here soon."

He moaned, a shudder ran through his body. He became deathly quiet, deathly still. Only a shallow breathing, the only sign that he was still alive.

The front door opened, Ricky came in with the Doctor. The men in the kitchen came out to meet them. Caroline could hear them talking.

The Doctor came into the room. Curry right behind him. Caroline moved out of the way, letting the Doctor get near the wounded man. He listened to his heart, checked his eyes, then looked at the wound. "This wound has been cauterized, was it bleeding badly?"

"Yeah, I took the arrowhead out. Then I..." Curry couldn't finish.

"Well son, you did stop the bleeding but this wound is badly infected. I wouldn't rule out blood poisoning, it looks like it may be starting. I'm going to have to open it, drain it then pack it. He opened his bag took out a syringe and a clear vile of liquid. He filled the syringe.

"What's that?" asked Kid.

Caroline could see how scared he was. "It's penicillin, a new drug they've had success with back east. Hopefully it will clear the infection."

He gave Heyes the shot, then began to work on the wound. He took his scalpel, cut into the burned flesh wiping away the blood and puss. Thankfully Heyes' was so deeply unconscious he felt nothing. Next he filled a small bowl with brown liquid. Taking a roll of gauze, he cut them into small squares. He soaked them in the brown liquid. He took the wet gauze pieces and packed them into the open wound, pushing them in deeply with the scissors.

He looked up at the people watching him intently. "He's severely dehydrated. Try to get as much water or broth into him as you can, even if he dribbles it out of his mouth, he'll get something." He taped a covering over the wound. "Caroline I"m going the leave you some supplies. Change the gauze every four or five hours. Dip it in the liquid, it's an antibiotic. Hopefully it will take care of the infection. I'll be back in a day or two, if he lives I'll sew up the wound then." He started to pack his bags.

His words hit Kid like a ton of bricks. "What do you mean if he lives?" the look on his face was shock and terror.

"I'm not going to cushion the blow young man, He's lost a large amount of blood. He has a raging fever and a massive infection. He'll be a very lucky man if he makes it through the night."

The color drained from Kid's face. "No, he can't die." he became angry. "Your wrong. You've made a mistake!"

The Doctor looked at the young man standing before him. Denial, he'd seen it before in people who knew they were about to lose someone they loved. "For your sake and his I hope that I'm wrong, I'm a Doctor not a miracle worker. Keep him as cool as you can. Get fluid into him, but don't expect a miracle."

The Doctor picked up his bag leaving the room, Caroline followed. They joined Nate, Jack and Ricky at the door.

"How is he?" Nate asked.

The Doctor shook his head. "Doesn't look good."

"How's the boy taking it?"

Caroline put a hand on her face, there were tears in her eyes, "I"m worried about both of them, there's something special about them and we've never met them before today. They have a special bond, a deep one. I can feel it and we've only known them for a few hours."

"If he dies, then Elk will be wanted for murder. If we had proof that he did it." Nate said.

"We have proof." Jack said, they looked at him. He dug into his pocket, pulling something wrapped in a piece of cloth. "Does this match the one we dug outta you?" he handed it to Nate.

Nate opened the cloth, it was the arrowhead from Heyes' shoulder. "Caroline get the one from the cupboard. She got it, handing it to Nate. He compared the two. They were almost identical. "We may have something here." Nate said looking around.

"Good luck for everything." the Doctor said. "If he passes send word, otherwise I'll be back in a day or so." he nodded then left.

Nate turned to Caroline, "Ricky here has other news. The safe in the bank was opened the other night. Nothing was taken, but all the money was found packed in a satchel."

"Who could have done something like that? The person would have to be an expert safe cracker." Caroline asked.

"I think that those two in there opened the safe." Jack said.

"What?" Caroline couldn't believe what he was saying.

"I heard Joshua call Thaddeus, Kid." said Jack.

"Thaddeus told us in the kitchen that Mitchem wanted Joshua to open the safe. He said it was a case of mistaken identity, but the safe was opened at the time he said they were there with Mitchem." Nate said.

Caroline's hand flew to her mouth. "Joshua, he was talking incoherently. He kept saying things about posse's and blowing up safes and such. He kept calling for Kid and Curry and someone named Jed."

"It fits." Nate said.

"Thaddeus is Jed "Kid" Curry, and it's my guess that Joshua is Hannibal Heyes. I've seen their wanted poster's. the descriptions fit."

"We can't be sure he's Hannibal Heyes." Caroline said.

"Stay close to them. One may slip." Nate said, he turned to Jack and Ricky. "Stay close around."

They nodded then left the house. Caroline and Nate went to check on their visitors.

Kid was sitting next to Heyes desperately trying to get him to take some water. He tried spoonful after spoonful. The water dribbled out of his mouth, down his neck. "C'mon Heyes, take some water, please you can't die." Curry begged his friend.

Caroline and Nate looked at each other. There it was. They were the two outlaws.

______________________________________

Heyes' mind was muddled. He was confused. He didn't know where he was. It was misty, cloudy, quiet. He felt like he was floating, it was a feeling that he liked. For some reason he felt safe, at peace here. There was a strange comforting in this place. A feeling he hadn't felt since he was a young child at home with his parents. The mists parted. He felt himself floating forward. Someone was there, he couldn't see well but he felt he had to go. He wanted to be here. It was becoming clearer, he could see better. There in the swirling mists he could see his Mother and Father. They were smiling at him, he felt a loving warmth. He wanted to go to them, for them to hold him and never let go. He couldn't get closer, something was holding him back. He couldn't move forward, didn't want to go back.

"Hannibal you can't stay. It's not your time." his Mother smiled at him.

"I want to stay Ma, I want to stay here with you both."

"You can't son, you still have a long way to go, a long life to lead." his Father told him.

"No it's safe here. I don't want to go back, I want to stay here. Please let me stay."

"Jed needs you. He needs you to guide him, to show him the right path. He needs your help or he'll never make it here. You both need each other. Go back my love, go back and live a good life, you can. You both can, you're good sons." His Mother's voice was so soothing.

"Jed, Kid where is he? I don't know what to do! I want to stay with you but Jed isn't here! Where is he? Help me! I...I don't understand! Where is he?"

"Listen Hannibal, listen he's calling you. He needs you, go to him. Go live. We love you son, someday a long time from now we'll be together again, but not now , it's not your time. We're proud of you. Go to Jed. Don't leave him alone." his father was drifting away.

"Don't let him kill."

'Go my little boy. Go with my love. Be strong. Farewell my baby. Remember we love you." she was gone.

Heyes was drifting, floating. Something was pulling him down. A voice, he knew that voice. It was pleading, begging him to come back. He didn't want to go back. He liked it here, he was free but the voice. It was calling him, pulling him back, back, he had to go back. It was where he belonged. Where he was needed. He had to go back to Kid. Kid needed him, he had to go back....

_____________________________________________

Curry was frantic, Heyes was thrashing, moaning saying strange things, then he was quiet. He wasn't moving, he'd stopped breathing. He looked to Nate and Caroline for help as he pleaded with his friend, his cousin to come back to him.

"Please he can't die! He can't! I need him, Oh God he's all I have!" Curry begged, tears running down his cheeks. "Come back don't do this!" Curry was near hysteria, he shook Heyes, smacked his face.

"He's not breathing! We have to get air into him!" Caroline pushed Curry out of the way, she began to breathe into Heyes' mouth. It took a few tries, but then as quickly as he stopped he began to breathe again. Weakly at first, but then stronger.

"Thank you Caroline, for saving his life. You don't know how much he...." Curry was cut short.

"We know how much he means to you . A partnership like the two of you share is something very rare." Nate said. He knew who these two young men were. Knew there was a price on their heads dead or alive, but the problem was he liked them. Well Curry anyway. He knew of their reputation, and he found that maybe what he'd heard about them could be wrong.

If Mitchem had forced Heyes to open the safe, he didn't let Mitchem get his hands on the money. They both could have been killed for a town they both knew nothing about or anyone in it. He had heard that they went straight. Looks like it was true. He'd made up his mind ex-Sheriff or not, he wanted these two young men as friends. He would keep their identities safe and make sure everyone else meaning Caroline, Jack and Ricky kept the secret as well.

Nate watched Curry. He was glued to his friends side, dynamite couldn't tear him away. He would stay there all night, afraid to leave or close his eyes in case he should stop breathing again.

Caroline felt Heyes' forehead, there was still fever but not as bad as before. Maybe the injection was working at last. She changed the gauze in the wound. "Nate why don't you and Thad get a breath of air or something to eat while I change the dressing, it may be a long night. You can talk about things."

"That's a good idea, I would like to talk to you. Would you come outside?"

Kid looked at Nate. He could see that the man had something to say, but he was afraid to leave Heyes. These people were being very kind to them. If Nate had something to say, then he had better hear what the man had to say. He went out behind Nate, looking back as he went.

They didn't go outside, but sat on the sofa. Nate looked at his feet trying to decide how to say what he had too, finally he just came out with it. "I'm not going to beat around the bush with this, so I'll just say it. When Ricky was getting the Doctor, he heard that the safe in the bank in Masonville had been opened. The money was left in a bag inside the safe. You put yourself and Joshua there at the time of the attempt. Jack and Caroline heard Joshua use certain names and phrases about dynamite and posses. I myself heard you call Joshua by another name, are you following me?"

"Yeah, I think I am. Where do we stand now with you?" Kid asked.

The man had them dead to rights. "I've heard about the two of you. What I've heard about your friendship is all too true. I've also heard that your trying to go straight. As long as you both are here we'll keep your secret. Ex-Sheriff or not. I like you and I'm sure I'll like Joshua when he comes around. I'd like to consider us friends." he offered Kid his hand.

"Before I shake your hand Nate, I'd like to thank you for what you just said. But I think it only fair to tell you that as soon as I know he's going to be alright I'm going after Mitchem and Elk." Kid's eyes darkened. "You may find out that I'm not what you think I am."

"Take my hand Thaddeus, I intend to ride with you."

__________________________________

The rider was hidden behind some rocks high on a slope above the Ramsey Ranch house. He had been there for some time. He had watched the Doctor come and go, saw the two men go into the barn, then the bunkhouse. Though he didn't see the men he was looking for, he was sure the Doctor was there for the one Elk had shot with the arrow. Mitchem's hunch maybe right. It was getting dark, soon he could sneak down to the house and find out what Mitchem wanted to know for sure.

As soon as it was dark enough, Joe quietly trotted down to the house. The bunkhouse was dark. There were a few lighted rooms in the house. Kitchen, front room and the room on the side. Upstairs was dark.

Joe braced himself against the house to look in the side window. It was what he had been expecting. They were in there. The blonde was sitting in a chair next to the dark haired fella. He didn't look too well. Joe hoped he wasn't gonna die, Mitchem wanted to kill him and blondie himself.

A thought struck Joe just then, if they were Heyes and Curry and Heyes dies, then Curry will be out for blood. Even if he didn't die, he was sure that Curry would be after Elk for the arrow in his partners shoulder. He would also want Mitchem. Curry may even want him because he worked for Mitchem. Naw, he thought all he did was feed them, he really didn't do anything to them. The alley wasn't a big thing, they didn't get hurt, much. He tried to reason with himself. No, he wouldn't get cold feet. He'll go back and tell Mitchem they were here like he figured. Mitchem promised that he would make it big with him, that they were going to run this town. He believed it too.

Even if Mitchem had to kill half the town. He already had the people here afraid of him. The only person who stood up to him was Nate, and Elk crippled him. He had found out what he needed to know, they were here.

Joe crept back to where his horse waited. He mounted his horse, then went on his way to report to Mitchem.

______________________________________

It was very quiet and peaceful inside the house. Everyone was sleeping, that is except Curry. He sat in an overstuffed chair, a real comfortable one holding a cup of coffee. He watched the rise and fall of Heyes' chest as he slept. The chair was calling him. It was a real nice chair. He felt himself nodding off, but pulled himself back again... the cup fell from his hand as his eyes closed, his head resting against the back of the chair.

Kid hadn't slept well in days, lack of sleep finally catching up to him.

As he slept, Heyes started to come around. His eyes slowly opened, he looked around the room. He had no idea where he was, a smile formed when he saw Kid asleep on the chair. As partners go, Kid was the best. Better then he was, he wished he could tell him so but he... well he just couldn't. His ego getting in his way. He tried to flex his left hand, it was stiff, it hurt. His shoulder throbbed. He was thirsty. He licked his lips, swallowing. His throat was dry. He wanted a drink, but would settle for water. He cleared his throat.

"Kid." it came out barely a whisper. He cleared his throat again. "Kid wake up." his throat was so dry it felt as though it was made of hot dry sand. "Kid please wake up, I need you." he couldn't talk above a whisper. "Hey Kid, C'mon wake up."

In his sleep Kid felt the muscles in his neck get tight, he was getting stiff from sleeping in the chair. He rolled his head, opening his eyes slowly. They grew wide as he sat bolt upright as he realized that Heyes was looking at him. "You're awake!" Kid had the biggest smile on his face that Heyes had ever seen.

"So are you." he rasped, "I need water real bad."

Kid poured him a glass of water from the pitcher on the night table. He helped his friend take a drink. Heyes tried to drink too fast, starting to choke on the water. "Easy, easy. Take it slow." Kid warned. "Don't wanna drown now do ya?"

Heyes lay back, the room was spinning. He waited for the spinning to stop before he opened his eyes again. K

id was looking at him with deep concern in his blue eyes. "We were real worried about you, we thought we lost you once Heyes. It was a real scare, you stopped breathing. Miss Caroline, the lady that lives here, she got you back. How are you now? You gonna be okay?" the worry was evident in Kid's voice.

"You did lose me Kid." Heyes had a strange far away look in his eyes. "I was somewhere else. It was nice there quiet, calm, peaceful. A place full of love I guess. Soft and gentle."

Kid examined his friend's face. He'd known this man his whole life, but he'd never seen this look before.

"I didn't want to come back. I wanted to stay there. I saw my parents Kid." his voice was strangely quiet. "They told me I couldn't stay, that it wasn't my time. That you needed me. I heard you calling me Kid. I heard you but I wanted to stay. I wanted to stay."

Curry found it hard to understand just what it was that his friend was saying. Heyes had died. He went to heaven? Was that what he was trying to say? Was it a dream? Maybe it was just the fever. "You had a real bad fever Heyes. You were out of your mind pretty much the whole time. Maybe you just had a dream is all."

Heyes looked at Kid. His face softened as he looked into the face of the man he trusted so deeply. "Maybe you're right. Maybe it was just a dream." he agreed, but deep down he knew different. "Where are we?" his eyes were getting heavy.

"Some place safe. Go on, go to sleep."

"Kid don't leave, stay here next to me. Promise you won't go anywhere."

"I promise. I'll be right here. Sleep now."

Heyes closed his eyes, he fell back to sleep.

__________________________________________

Four horses were saddled and waiting for the men that were to ride them to come out of the house. The sun was rising, the day beginning. Inside the house an argument was going on.

"Do you realize what your going to do? Thaddeus your tired, you've been up most of the night! And you Nate, are you looking to get shot again?" Caroline tried to control her anger. "Your plan is to just ride on into town and call every one of Mitchem's men out. It's the most foolish thing I've ever heard!"

"Now Caroline calm down. We're all good shots and they're not expecting us to come riding in just looking for them." Nate tried to reason with her.

Jack and Ricky stood by the door watching from under their hats. The longer the argument lasted, the later the day became. They knew what they were getting into, but for Nate they would ride into a bursting volcano, besides they had Kid Curry riding with them.

Caroline turned to Kid, her hands on her hips. "You want revenge. You have a friend in the next room," she pointed to the room. "Who almost died. What do you want me to say to him if you get hurt or worse killed? You're four men going up against at least twelve maybe more men. How can you risk their lives as well as yours?'

"I'm not asking anyone to come with me. They're coming of their own free will." Kid said perfectly calm. "But I am asking you to take care of Joshua as long as he needs it. Will you do that Caroline?"

"Of course I will, I'll do it for him, you know I wouldn't desert him in a time of need. Not like you, his so called best friend." Caroline's eyes flashed in anger. She knew that her words cut him deep. "You promised him you'd stay by his side, and I wouldn't leave my home behind to ride off with a bunch of fools to get myself killed faster. Can't you think this through? Can't you go ask for help from some of the other ranches?"

"There's no time Caroline, we have surprise on our side. They won't be expecting us to come into town looking for them. This has to end now. Mitchem has broken the law by holding Thaddeus and Joshua against their will and forcing them to break the into the safe. Not to mention attempted murder. It has to end now Caroline, and I think the four of us can pull it off." Nate took his sister in an embrace. "Please Caroline don't worry we'll be back before nightfall safe and sound."

She had tears in her eyes. "I can't fight the four of you. Watch your backs is all I can say."

Kid looked in at Heyes from the doorway, taking what well maybe his last look at his long time friend. He knew he'd promised not to leave his side, but if he didn't go now then Heyes would stop him from going after Mitchem and Elk. He wanted Elk.

Heyes was sleeping quietly. Kid would remember him that way, safe and comfortable. "We best be going." Kid said "When Joshua wakes up, tell him I'll be back as soon as I finish some business."

"I just hope you fools don't come back hanging over your saddles." she walked into the room with Heyes, shutting the door behind her.

Inside the room she listened as the front door opened the closed. Four horses rode away at a lope. What would she tell Joshua when he woke?, and what's more how would he react when he learned where is friend went?

____________________________________

The ride into town was quick with little talking. They stopped just outside the town limits.

Kid took the borrowed revolver from it's holster, checking to see that it was fully loaded, he put the gun back in it's place by his hip. "Okay boys are we ready? If anyone wants to back out nows the time." kid said.

Nate nudged his horse forward. They rode into town. The town folk saw them riding in. Four men with stony faces. A show down was about to occur. A cowboy standing outside the general store drew his gun. Ricky saw the movement, turned his horse drew his gun. The cowboy fired, his shot going wide. Ricky's hitting the man in the upper arm. The shooting drew out more of Mitchem's men. Two ran into the street, their guns drawn. They started to fire, Nate drove his horse straight into them, Jack right behind.

Kid didn't see the men he was looking for. He turned his horse toward the saloon and jumped off, entering the swinging doors. Three of Mitchem's men were in there. Big ugly Ned at the bar. Ned went to draw, but Curry had his gun out before the man's hand was near his gun. The ugly man raised his hands, the other two stood with their mouths open hands raised. It was true, this guy was as fast as lighting.

"Drop the guns, slowly." Kid said his voice lethal, "where's Mitchem and Elk?"

"Not here, they went with Joe." guns fell to the floor.

"Went with Joe where?"

"I....I don't know." Ned stammered.

There was a lot of shooting going on in the street. A lot of yelling and screaming, people running from place to place. Curry shot the button off Ned's right cuff.

"I suggest that you come up with where Mitchem and Elk are, I may draw blood next time."

Nate and Jack came to stand behind Curry. It had gotten real quiet in the street. "We got 'em all except for these three. Had a little help from some town folk."Nate told Curry.

"Find out where Mitchem is?" Curry looked at Ned, he had an expression on his handsome face that made Ned's blood run cold.

"They're on their way to Nate's place to visit with your friend and his sister." Ned told them as he looked down the barrel of Kid's pistol.

It was Curry's turn to have his blood run cold, even still he showed no emotion at all. "What did you do with the boys outside?" he asked Nate.

"Jailhouse. Ricky's there. Sheriff's locked up too."

"We had better get them there and then get back to your place fast, real fast." Curry was keeping his voice deathly even,

Nate and Jack felt a chill. "Let's go boys."

After they had them locked in the cells at the jailhouse, Ricky and a few town men to watch over them, Curry, Nate and Jack rode hard back to Nate's house. Hopefully they would get there before it was too late.

___________________________________________

The three riders watched the ranch house from the rise above. The house was quiet. No movement in the surrounding yard except for a few roaming hens.

"That window there, by the tree and bushes, that's where Heyes is. Like I said he looks bad." Joe told Mitchem.

Elk watched the house, his black eyes half closed. "I want the woman." Elk said.

"You can have her, do what you want with her. I want Heyes, and the more it hurts the better I'll like it."

"Wait a minute, you didn't say anything about hurting Caroline. You said you wanted Heyes and Curry!" Joe exclaimed in alarm.

"Things change don't they?" Mitchem said.

"Look I want no part in hurting a woman. I'm getting out of this now!" Joe turned his horse starting to ride off.

"That's too bad Joe, we'll miss you." Mitchem pulled Curry's pistol from it's holster firing a shot at Joe. The bullet entered his side lodging in his heart. He was dead before he hit the ground.

_________________________________________

The room was getting warm, stuffy Caroline opened the window to let in fresh air. Joshua was sleeping, he still had fever. Hopefully it would soon break. She sat back down with her sewing in her lap, but watched the sleeping man wondering about these two men. They were both very attractive looking men, complimenting each other with light and dark hair. What had turned them to outlawing?

Heyes began to move, he slowly opened his eyes looking around the room. Confused not sure where he was. He turned to look at her for the first time since he'd been in her home. She was pretty, real pretty. His mouth curved up in a shy grin. "Hi." he said.

Caroline's insides melted. Where did this man get those amazing dimples? And that smile? My goodness the two of them, she couldn't decide who was the better looking. Stop it, she yelled silently to herself your acting like a schoolgirl. She felt her face flush. "Good morning, you're awake at last. How do you feel?" she smiled at him.

"I don't know, stiff, sore, hot." he swallowed. "Where's Thaddeus?"

She knew this question was going to come up, but not this soon. "Are you hungry? Thirsty maybe? You should eat something, it's been a few days since you've had something."

"What's your name?"

"I'm Caroline Ramsey, your at my ranch. I live here with my brother."

"Caroline, nice name. Where's Thaddeus?"

"Let me go make you something. Do you think you could handle scrambled eggs?"

"Where's Thaddeus?" Caroline sighed.

"He's not here."

"I gather that, where'd he go?"

"I can't tell you." she said.

"He went after Mitchem didn't he?" Heyes voice was getting stronger. "Where are my clothes?" He started to get out of bed. He sat up putting one foot on the floor. The room began to swirl. He started to fall forward, Caroline was there to catch him. "No! I've got to go find Thaddeus before he does something he'll regret later. You have to let me go." he tried to fight her off, not wanting her help but needing it. He tried to stand, his legs felt wobbly..

She easily over powered him, forcing him back down on the bed. "Look at you! Are you going to be as foolish as your friend and my brother? And those other two Jack and Ricky, they'll follow my brother anywhere. If I can knock you back down, how far do you think your going to get against all those armed men?" He lay with his head back on the pillow, breathing heavily. She could see his pulse throbbing in his neck. "Your sick Joshua, your hurt and your sick. I know how much you want to go after Thaddeus, but your in no shape to get out of bed let alone ride miles into town on the back of a horse."

"I have to go, you have to help me" he grabbed her tightly by the wrist.

"I'm not helping you go anywhere. I'm already worried sick about the other's, you're staying right here."

"That's right boy, listen to the lady."

Caroline spun around at the strange voice in her house.

Heyes lifted his head to see Mitchem holding a gun, Kid's gun, at them. Elk was standing next to him, arms crossed across his chest a wicked smile on his face. Heyes noticed that Elk was wearing his holster and gun.

"Mitchem, Elk so nice of you to drop by for a visit." Heyes said. "Save me the trouble of going to look for you. It's just too bad that you can't stay."

"And just whose's going to make me leave smart mouth? You?" Mitchem laughed. " you can't even hold up your head."

"YOU had better leave my house." Caroline squared her shoulder's at them. She purposely stood between them and Heyes. "If my brother finds you here, I can't say what will happen."

"Your gimpy brother is nowhere near here. It's too bad, I wanted to take care of him along with this one and his partner. They'll get theirs later, you'll get your's now." He nodded to Elk. "Tie him up tight, hands behind his back."

Elk walked towards Heyes, pulling rawhide strips from his pocket. "No you can't tie him up like that! His shoulder!" Caroline tried to stop Elk.

He pushed her roughly, she fell to the floor. Elk thrust the rawhide into the pitcher of water on the night stand, the rawhide would shrink as it dried. The result would be very painful. Grinning wickedly at Heyes he grabbed the wounded man by the hair, pulling him to a sitting position. He roughly pulled his arms behind his back, tying his hands as tightly as he could.

Heyes tried not to show how much pain he was in, but couldn't help himself. The left shoulder of his night shirt began to turn crimson red as the wound reopened. When Elk was finished he cruelly back handed Heyes across the face. Heyes' head snapped to the side, blood flowed freely from the man's nose.

"You little coward!" Caroline screamed at Elk.

"Elk take her outta here. Do what you want with her. Leave me alone with this one." Mitchem was staring coldly at Heyes.

"Leave her alone. Do what you want to me, but leave her out of this!" Heyes told the men.

"You're in no position to be giving orders. Take her out of here."

Elk grabbed Caroline, kissing her roughly on the lips Heyes' eyes darkened. He tried to free himself of the bindings, but only succeeded in bleeding more. Elk dragged a fighting Caroline out of the room. They could hear the two of them fighting their way up the stairs.

Mitchem stood looking at Heyes, who stared back at him darkly with no fear in his eyes at all. Mitchem hated the man for that. He wanted people to fear him, to beg him not to hurt them. He wouldn't get it from this man. This man showed only that if he was loose, he would give Mitchem a run for his life. He crossed the room toward the bound outlaw, then began to beat him unmercifully. Each blow to his face drawing fresh blood. Mitchem was urged on by the battle going on upstairs. He had no idea where the pain in his hip came from. He had no idea that the bone had been blown to pieces by Kid Curry. As soon as the bullet hit it's mark, the gunman was gone. He rushed upstairs, following the screams of the woman who had so carefully taken care of his best friend. He burst into the room just as the Indian ripped the dress off the screaming woman. Kid took careful aim before he shot through Elk's shoulder. Pieces of flesh and bone decorating the wall.

Elk fell back against the wall, blood smearing as he dropped to the floor. Screaming louder then Caroline moments before. "Don't let me bleed to death!" screamed Elk.

Kid went to her, taking the bed cover and wrapping it around her. He knelt over the wounded Indian, removing Heyes' gun belt.

"Please don't let me bleed to death!" Elk begged.

Curry ignored him, as he led Caroline down the stairs. They entered the bedroom downstairs.

Nate had untied Heyes' hands, when he saw his sister he rushed to her. He took her in his arms as she bravely tried not to cry. Jack had his gun drawn on Mitchem, who was in his own agony,

Curry went to Heyes. The man was a bloody mess from the beating Mitchem had given him. His shoulder was bleeding heavily. Kid whistled "You're gonna have some shiner."

"Thanks," Heyes tried to grin. "For coming back."

"What in the name of my Aunt Mary has happened here?" no one had heard the Doctor come into the house.

"Hey Doc, you sure got yourself good timing." Jack called to him. "I believe there's another fella upstairs needin tenden."

"There's also a body up on the rise, Joe Whitaker. My guess is Mitchem killed him. We found him when we came back from town." Nate said.

The Doctor looked around the room not sure where to begin.

_______________________________________________________

The Doctor followed Kid and Jack as they drove Mitchem and Elk into town to jail. They stopped to pick up Joe's body, then went on their way. Nate sat with Heyes, the Doctor had stitched up his shoulder and patched up his face. It was bruised, but no scars would remain. Heyes was looking at Kid's holster. It was ruined when Kid shot Mitchem.

"Thaddeus really is a perfect shot." Nate began.

"He never intended to kill any of them as long as he knew you were alright. It's funny though Mitchem is going to be gimpy like me, and Elk. He took out Elk's shoulder, kinda like yours. Aint that something though?"

"Yeah, that's something." Heyes said. "Too bad they're going to hang for killing Joe."

"I guess they are." Nate stopped talking. He watched the man sitting in bed . He still had a fever, his eye was swollen shut a blue black color covering brow to cheek, lip swollen. He'd taken a beating from Mitchem, yet he sat there fingering his friends holster. "He means a lot to you doesn't he Joshua?"

Heyes nodded, he looked at Nate with his good eye. "Yes, yes he does."

"You mean a lot to him too. He was very upset these last few days, especially when you.... left us for a bit is the best way to sat it. He hardly left your side. He told us what he had to do that day to save your life. It was real hard on him to have to hurt you that way. About the hardest thing he ever had to do."

"I know." Heyes swallowed as he remembered that day in the line shack. "I had to make him."

"So, why don't you tell him?" Nate asked.

"Tell him what?" "How much you love him."

___________________________________________

They stayed for two more weeks while Heyes healed. Curry busied himself helping around the ranch. Nate was short a man since Ricky took the job a Sheriff. He'd tried to convince Smith and Jones to stay on as Deputies, but for reasons known to those who had become close to them, they had to decline the offer.

Heyes had healed nicely. His face still had a faint bruise around the eye, his arm and shoulder moved freely. It was time to go. Saying goodbye to people you came to have feelings for was always hard. This moment was no different.

"We hope you realize why we can't stay for the trial." Heyes said, they were standing outside ready to leave. Heyes was looking directly at Caroline.

Nate nodded, as he understood why they were leaving. "We're going to miss you boys. Please don't let your next visit be far off. We'd really like it if you came back." Caroline said more to Heyes then Curry.

Kid looked from his partner to Caroline, then back again. There was something going on there. He smiled at her. He leaned over kissing her on the cheek, "We can't stay, but thank you for everything."

Heyes followed, kissing her lightly on the lips. "Thanks for all the nursing." he looked deeply at her, memorizing her face. He stepped away from her to shake Nate's hand as Caroline blushed bright red.

"You take care now, we'll be in touch." Kid said.

They waved as they rode away.

_______________________________________________________

They rode side by side for quite sometime in total silence. Kid kept glancing at Heyes, finally he asked. "Alright what is it?"

"What's what?"

"What's bugging you? Is it Caroline?"

"No, I need to tell you something and I don't know how to do it." Heyes said looking away from him.

"Tell me what? Just say it. You've got the silver tongue."

Heyes stopped his horse. Kid stopped his next to his friend waiting. Heyes was silent, looking down at the ground.

"What is it Heyes?" Kid was getting scared.

"I need to tell you...." he paused. "I need to tell you just how much you mean to me and that..." he paused again. " I...I love you like a brother. There I said it."

Kid stared at Heyes, his mouth hanging open. "I know that Heyes. I"ve always known that. I feel the same way about you."

The two men stared at each other, their bond growing stronger.

"How much money we got Heyes?"

"I dunno, about four bucks."

"Why is it that we never have any money?"

"Because we went out of the business."

They grinned at each other, then rode on. end