Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
302
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
905

Mini Stakes 2: Nena Stakes

Summary:

Don, Colby and Nena go golfing.

Work Text:

Nena Stakes —

 

“Unka Don,” Nena said.  “You’re sposta hit it over thuh water.”

“This is humiliating,” Don grumbled at Colby who was trying – and failing – not to laugh.

“Maybe it’s because she’s closer to the ground,” Colby smiled.

“I don’t see you doing great, either,” Don said sourly.

“I’m just learning the course.” Colby shrugged.

“Your turn.” Nena waved towards the blue ball that – for some reason Don couldn’t fathom – was in a water trough.

Don crouched on the plastic grass and fished the ball out.  “One stroke penalty?”

“Yeah,” Colby said.  “On par two.”

“Par two?” Don said.  “How in the world are you supposed to get over the water, around the house and up the hill in two?”

“Two, Daddy!” Nena called from the other side of the house.

Don groaned.

“It’s your fault,” Colby laughed, “for mentioning mini-golfing while Nena was around.”

“I had to tell Millie that I wasn’t going to let her fleece me on a regular basis.”

“If she’d just be willing to play for candy.”

“Naw, I think she takes a special thrill in taking money from government employees.”

Colby nodded wryly.

Don set his ball down on the far side of the water and lined up his putter.  “What we playing for again?”

“If Nena wins, we take her out for an ice cream sundae.  If I win, she has to help Grandpa clean the cat hair out of the koi pond filter.”

“And on the off chance I win?”

“She eats her veggies for a week without complaining.”

Don flexed his shoulders, bent his knees, then gently tapped the ball.  It rolled up the green, ricocheted off the house, and bounced back down the green until it rolled with a plop back into the water.

Don sighed.  “I’m getting a double hot fudge.”