Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
463
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
1,345

The Secret To Friendship

Summary:

Dinah may not have wanted a sidekick, but she still wants Steph to stick around.

Work Text:

The Secret To Friendship  

 

Dinah Lance may have never wanted a sidekick, but the Boy Wonder wasn’t the only one who quickly developed a bad case of the Stephs. Repeated exposure to a blonde teenager ready, willing, and able to learn everything Black Canary had to teach eventually softened Dinah to Steph. Soon, Spoiler was out fighting crime with Black Canary nearly every night (barring Dinah having gotten roped into something with the JLA or the JSA, or Steph having homework).

 

Of course, eventually Batman heard about her, but by then, Dinah was working for Oracle as part of her ‘Birds of Prey’ and Steph had sort of been accepted as an adjunct or…something. She had the comm earrings and necklace set, anyway, and had done some scouting and some stakeouts and other stuff for the mysterious green-masked lady. She was sure Oracle was a woman; not even Superman (or so she’d heard) was quite that capable of snarking off at Batman and getting him to back down.

 

And even if Steph was pretty sure that Oracle thought she was just playing dress-up, at least the cyber-babe never said so. To her, anyway; one night, a few months after Steph got her new bird-themed jewelry, Dinah came home in a really foul mood, fouler than even when she and her Arrow ex ran into something situation where one or the other of them thought maybe they shouldn’t be exes anymore.

 

Steph always got out the ice cream when that happened, and prepared herself for listening to Dinah kvetch, while wondering when Robin would finally ask her out so that when he pissed her off enough she could bitch about boys to her. She got out the ice cream again, but wasn’t surprised when Dinah waved it off and said she needed to work out, and would she like to spar?

 

That was when Steph knew she was really Dinah’s partner, and not her sidekick. She got pinned to the mats four out of six times, but Dinah told her what Oracle had said. Heavily edited, probably, but apparently their ‘boss’ had ‘reservations’ about Steph’s ‘commitment’ to ‘The Mission.’

 

When Steph said that it sounded like Oracle had been taking a page out of Batman’s book, Dinah had laughed so hard she fell on her (extremely muscular and damn enviable even for someone older than her mother) ass.

 

Apparently, Dinah had told Oracle the same thing. Forget their ‘family’; only real friends knew each other like that.

 

Steph couldn’t help but grin; Black Canary and Spoiler had a nice ring to it. Almost like Batman and Robin, but with less emo brooding and more fun fighting.

 

Yeah, as long they listened to and learned from each other, their friendship would get them through anything.