Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
551
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
747

Trapped in Time

Summary:

An entry for the Sentinel-Thursday Challenge no. 192 for the prompt: Trapped.

Summary:  Blair is trapped in a moment in time.

 

Work Text:

Title: Trapped in Time.
Author:  JustJeanette
Challenge: Sentinel Thursday #192 - 'Trapped'.
Category: General Fiction.
Warnings: Small spoilers for SenToo and TSbBS.  Un-beta-ed. 
Rating: PG.
Words: 475

Summary:  Blair is trapped in a moment in time.

Disclaimer (borrowed from Fluterbev): Jim and Blair are not mine, honest! Though the words are. Please do not re-post or archive anywhere else without first gaining the express permission of the author.

Trapped in Time

Have you ever been trapped between to be or not to be?  Trapped in that moment in time where the future and the past collide.  If you haven’t I’d seriously advise avoiding that place, that is where I stand now.

Two weeks ago my mother came to town, and when I say came to town I really mean it.  She came, she saw, and she listened like she always does.  She tells me she listened with her heart because that is what mother’s do.  Am I allowed to be bitter enough to say it’s a fine time for her to start worrying about doing what mother’s do?  When I asked her not to read it I should have been a lot more specific; she didn’t read it, no she let someone else read it and that’s all right because she listened to me, not.  "I hear you, Blair."  She heard all right, heard like she always does, only this time it wasn't sage and Jim's allergies that got caught in the crossfire; this time it was my life.

Two days ago I took my life and shot it down in flames.  Great big, fucking spectacular flames.  My thesis, “The Sentinel" is a fraud I declared and the starving masses bought it, hook, line and stinker.  Of course Jim already knew I was a fraud, a cheat, a lying son-of-a-bitch so it didn't really hurt to actually commit academic seppuku, I mean, I was already dead, dead inside at least; maybe I should have stayed dead at the fountain then none of this would be an issue.  But I came back when he called thinking he needed me, wanted me beside him, wanted me to ride with him.  I should have known better but it took hearing Jim say, "It's not his call, Captain. This is my decision. His ride is over.", for me to get the hint.

Two hours ago and the ride finally ended.  Jim got Zeller, and the last of my reasons for staying around went. Jim knows he's a good cop, he knows that he doesn't need the Sentinel stuff to be a good cop, and now, with the press and command likely to watch him (even with my having trashed my dissertation) he has a very good reason to play least in sight; funnily enough, so do I.  So I've started the ball rolling, as it were.  My office at Rainier is clear.  My room at the loft is packed and ready to go.  I just need to drop off the observer badge and then it's time to get out of Dodge.

Two minutes ago I got ambushed.  I have a badge in my hand, gold; a detective's badge.  

I'm trapped between the past and the future.

I'm trapped under Jim's arm.

Trapped, and there is nowhere else I'd rather be.

 

 

 ---------------------------------------------------------

Let me know what you think.
JustJeanette