Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
2,098
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
16
Hits:
1,063

Snowed In

Summary:

Rated: PG
Fandom: JAG
Summary: Mac is sent to track AJ. The mission is achieved but with life threatening consequences.
Classification: Story/Romance AJ/Mac
Disclaimer: JAG characters are not mine. No copyright infringement intended. All other characters depicted are purely fictional and any similarities to actual people are purely coincidental.
Feedback: Send it.
Permission to archive: Permission granted.
Story written May 12 and 28, 2002
Submitted through http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Makebelieve_YG

Work Text:

 

Snowed In
by Rising Sun
jagrslc@yahoo.com  

 

 

ALASKAN WILDERNESS

Mac stepped out of the log cabin and as the difference in temperature registered she shivered. "Damn it!" She grumbled. What the hell AJ was doing up here was beyond her. More importantly what was she doing in this God forsaken place all alone?

[FLASHBACK]

Mac stepped into the office of the JAG. "You sent for me sir?"

"Yes Colonel. Have a seat." The Secretary of the Navy indicated the chair. After she was ensconced he began. "Mac I seemed to have lost a Admiral."

Mac said nothing but had enough thoughts on the matter. Admiral Chedwiggen seemed to have hit a mid life crisis and gone AWOL.

"I need you to find him."

With her poker face in place Mac replied. "With all due respect sir, it may be regarded as a global village but the planet is large and the Admiral may be anywhere."

"He’s in Alaska." The SECNAV didn’t elaborate on is information.

"Then sir may I suggest that the nearest military post to his position is well qualified to find the Admiral for you."

"Colonel you are it." The SECNAV informed her.

She resigned herself to the orders. "Aye sir."

"And Colonel…"

"Sir."

"… deadly force if necessary." He walked out leaving a stunned Mac in his wake.

[END OF FLASHBACK]

As she scanned the winter wonderland she registered a movement. She focused and couldn’t believe her eyes. "Admiral" She whispered and set off after him.

The lethal game of AJ running and Mac chasing unfolded with deadly intent in the Alaskan wilderness. "Admiral stop!" She barked finally and pointed her gun at him.

He stopped and slowly turned. "Good morning Mac."

"Please sir. No problems." she cocked the gun.

"Mac this is avalanche country even you are not that stupid to fire that thing out here." He told her.

She flicked the firearm "Move."

He moved in the opposite direction. "Admiral don’t test me." She warned. "I have orders!" He continued walking away.

She fired.

As AJ hit the ground and his blood began to colour the snow she heard a rumble. Hypnotized by both the crimson snow and the closing rumble Mac was torn. Finally the sound penetrated her fog. Her brain screamed AVALANCHE!

She began to run at a right angle to the rampaging snow and barely made it to the tree cover. There she watched in horror as AJ got swept up in the landslide of snow. Finally it was over and nature presented her calm cool and collected face.

Mac could not do the same. "Admiral… Admiral… AJ!" She screamed and dived in to try to find him.

+ + +

An hour later she was still searching frantically. She was on the verge of tears from her frustrations.

Frustration at coming so close to catching him.

Frustration at nature snatching him away.

Frustration at contemplating not having him in her life.

As the frustrations grew to an unbearable level she touched something with a different texture to the ice. She quickly brushed it aside and it revealed a piece of cloth. She began to dig and after another half hour she had dug AJ out. She cried from relief and released frustration.

It took her another hour to carry/drag him to the cabin. It was now nearly three hours since he had been exposed to the cold. She wasn’t even sure he was alive.

She was exhausted but she had to elevate the man’s temperature! In one last Herculean effort she got him onto the bed. The log fire was low and she proceeded to throw a few logs on. They were both soaked to the bone and so began to strip him down. In five minutes she had him naked and wrapped in a blanket.

"Florence Nightingale I am not." She grumbled as she found the first aid kit and a kitchen knife and proceeded to dig out her bullet from his back. Once it was out and the wound bandaged she relaxed and instantly began to tremble.

She was cold and wet and tired. The trembling worsened.

She gazed at AJ looking so comfortable in the bed and decided. She stripped and placed her clothes with his to dry before the fire. Just before joining him under the blanket she tossed a few more logs on the fire. Then she slipped in only to find that he as still cold so she snuggled up to him to provide additional heat.

"You die and I’ll kill you." She whispered.

"OK" He mumbled.

+ + +

AJ awoke and the pain in his left shoulder instantly manifested. He felt rather than saw the weight on his right side. Slowly he opened his eyes and surveyed his surroundings. He was in bed with Mac! The dark haired beauty was draped over him in a deep sleep. He quickly scanned the room. They were in a log cabin Mac had shot him. He spotted their clothes before the fireplace and estimated that the fire would burn for another two hours before it needed attending too.

He returned his attention to the woman next to him. She smelt great and looked even better. He tightened his hold on her and wallowed in the unique experience. For a split second the fortifications around his heart dropped. He placed a gentle kiss on her head and whispered, "I love you Mac. God help me but I do." Self-conscious of the declaration he coughed and the battlements went back up.

He relaxed with her in his arms and went back to sleep. The pain in his arm didn’t feel so bad now.

Mac had been up before AJ and was instantly aware that he had awoken as he fidgeted. Then she heard him declare his love. She almost reacted but decided against it. She felt him relax and fall back asleep. For a few minutes she indulged a fantasy of being married to this man. Then dismissed it and she too fell back asleep.

+ + +

AJ awoke again and this time the fire needed attending too. Reluctantly he disentangled himself from Mac and headed for the pile of logs. When he returned he realized that she was awake and watching him. "Didn’t mean to wake you." He apologized.

She said nothing as she watched him. Mac had awoken the instant he had left her side. Somehow the bed felt cold without him. She felt alone in the bed so she had sat up and watched AJ as he moved about the room.

He placed the logs on the fire and the heat began to rise again. Was it the logs or was it he?

Finally Mac spoke. "I’d never regarded you as …" She started again. "I always thought of you as THE ADMIRAL."

"And now?" He probed.

She soaked in his naked form. "Now… it seems different."

He reached for his undergarments and put his pants on. He remained barefooted and bareback. Mac closed her eyes. This was worse! His being half dressed made him even more desirable. She braced herself and stepped out from under the quilt. She couldn’t remain pinned to the bed with AJ half dressed.

The sudden movement of Mac casting the quilt aside startled him. Her shapely form emerged. She was well tanned with not a tan line to be seen. It was his turn to admire the view and he stared unabashedly as all Mac put on his shirt, which acted as a mini dress. He groaned.

"You ok?" she had heard him. She didn’t know it was pain or pleasure causing the reaction.

"My arm." He lied.

"Sit!" she ordered. She examined the wound and changed the dressing. "Better?"

He nodded. "You shot me." He accused.

"I warned you." She defended.

"I told you not to."

"That you did." She smiled. She changed the topic. "What are you doing up here anyway sir?"

He contemplated her question and decided to be honest and not run some line by her. "We’ve known each other a long time. The relationship if you can call it that has waxed and waned…"

"Whoa! I asked a simple question Sir." This was getting into tricky waters.

He nodded. "I came up here to seriously contemplate dropping out of the rat race."

Mac had expected any answer but that. "Dropping out of the rat race? Does that mean you will not return to JAG?"

"I don’t know!" On that he was adamant. "I’m tired Mac. I need a rest."

"Why now!" She forgot rank, as she demanded.

"I’ve done all I can as JAG. There’s nothing there for me now."

"Nothing?" She felt hurt.

He had his opening and he took it. "Come with me."

"Sir?" This man really was on a meltdown. The AJ Chedwiggen she knew would not be having this conversation with her.

He was not deterred. "As I said I was dropping out of the rat race – not the human race." That got her attention.

She stared at him but didn’t answer.

"The choice is yours. Come with me." He continued to urge.

It was unexpected she played for time by saying that she needed time and she said so.

"Agreed. You have until we can get out of here." He replied.

"… and if I haven’t decided by then?" She challenged.

"Then you haven’t decided." He replied.

AJ was familiar with the cabin and gave her a quick tour. She brought him up to date with news of JAG. He in turn entertained her with anecdotes of his adventures as a SEAL. Never once did they discuss the impending decision.

Time was against Mac and two days after the topic had been raised AJ broached it again. "It’s time." He was sober and dressed for the outdoors where as she was stretched out on the sofa comfortable in her sweater and leather pants.

"I can’t" She stated.

"That your decision?" His heart was breaking.

She stood and began to pace her boots making no sound on the wooden floor. "Help me.’ She whispered the prayer.

He heard. He reached out and grabbed her arm effectively stopping the pace. Throwing caution to the wind and kissed her. This was not the kiss of two twelve year olds. They were both experienced adults. She parted her lips and deepened the kiss. Finally they came up for air.

"I cannot make the decision for you." He was forlorn. "But I suppose indecision in itself is an answer. Goodbye Mac." He turned and headed for the door. At the threshold he picked up his rucksack and turned to her. She was still rooted to the spot.

"But just for the record. I love you." Her eyes narrowed in disbelief. "He saw the reaction. "It’s true! It’s part of the reason I must leave JAG. It’s the reason I was glad you found Mic. It’s the reason I want you to come with me." And without further ado he stepped out into the cold and was gone.

Mac was never sure what galvanized her into action whether it was the cold gust of air that entered as he opened the door to step out or if it was his words. But suddenly her future flashed before her - one without AJ.

With grim determination she grabbed her coat, instinctively she checked her gun and went in search of her prey. His fresh tracks were easy to follow. It wasn’t long before she caught up to him. "AJ!" he stopped dead in his tracks and then turned to face her.

"You were right." She acknowledged.

"You taking me in?" he was suddenly tired.

"Depends. If you still want me - yes." She replied.

He was confused. She smiled and closed the gap between them. "JAG, the Cabin, Buckingham Palace you name it – I’ll take you there." She winked. "… and do mean take."

He grabbed her by both shoulders dropping the rucksack in the process. "Don’t play with me." He growled.

"Let me be frank…"

"Please." He interrupted only to be interrupted himself as she kissed him. Finally the kiss ended.

"Say it." He demanded.

"I love you." She confessed.

"YES!" He screamed.

They grinned at each other. Then they heard it. "It wasn’t me." She defended.

"RUN!" he ordered as the rumble of the avalanche came closer.

They made it to the tree cover in time but were still lightly covered in snow. "Mac!" He was frantic. Having just become a couple surely he wouldn’t/couldn’t lose her now? "Mac!" he screamed again.

"When you call with such authority it better be for a reason."

He swung around and in one motion had her in a bear hug. When he finally placed her back on her feet she had one question. "Now what?"

"The pass is blocked again so we go back to the cabin."

"Oh good." She said.

"Oh good?" he echoed.

"Yeah." She grinned "I meant it when I said I’d take you there." She began running toward the log building.

Hey!" He protested and took off after her.

SECNAV now had two officers to find.

 

~*~ FINIS ~*~