Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Updated:
2007-04-26
Words:
2,422
Chapters:
2/3
Comments:
1
Kudos:
21
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
2,605

Left For Us

Summary:

Rating: PG (for now)
Warning: Bob/Harry slash
Summary: With tensions building between Harry and Bob after WAB, how will it help them get what they both want?
Submitted through http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DresdenFiles_SlashyFantasies

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text

 

 

Left For Us
by Ange

 

I was only paying half of my patient attention on Harry who was moving around the lab like a neurotic squirrel. Apparently the potion we were creating was crucial to the current case Harry was working on with the female Lt. , which meant it had to be done right now. I wasn't exactly happy with the choice of time.

It was two a.m. for Merlin's sake, couldn't the woman understand that even well meaning wizards like Harry still needed some sleep?

I didn't have a right to complain since sleep wasn't necessary to a ghost but Harry's well being was still my concern. And with Harry's sudden mood swings this last week , sleep was extremely vital if the man was hoping to make it down the stairs from the loft every morning.

Yet, here I was . Having Harry dart around from shelf to shelf for each ingredient I drawled out from memory for the cloaking potion we were making.

" Bob, where's the whiskey?"

" Right hand cabinet, top shelf, behind the belladonna." I called over my shoulder without turning. In all these years I still knew the labs contents better then Harry did.

I heard the jars clinking from the cabinet on my left and sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose and praying for patience.

" You're other right Harry."

" Right!"

While Harry brewed away without the need of further assistance, I let myself brood over my own thoughts. There was an obvious strain in all of Harry's actions of late and a weariness that had more to it then the lateness of the hour. It bothered me that it all obviously boiled down to the last few weeks events. Justin's short return from the grave, being trapped in the otherworld with Ancient Mai and a Drake disguised as Murphy. The poor man hadn't been given a relief yet, even this new case was wearing on Harry's frazzled nerves.

It was times like these that I craved to be whole and corporeal the most. I'd give anything to be able to finish this potion for Harry and let him sleep, to do something that would take some of the weight off his shoulders. Instead of just being the walking, talking magic encyclopedia. But Justin had stolen that from me with his death, leaving me unable to do many things I'd only begun to dream about. Many of them including Harry my fleetingly restored ability to touch.

There was also the secret that was worrying me. Harry was keeping something hidden, something that clouded his brown eyes every time our gazes met. It was unnerving how quickly he'd look away. I just wanted to grab Harry's jaw and force him to meet my eyes, to press my lips........

" Bob?"

Harry's voice pulled me from that dangerous spiral of thoughts.

" What is it now Harry?" I asked irritably, suddenly annoyed that I couldn't just grab Harry and do something that would make the poor wizard blush and both of us very happy in the long run.

Harry looked at me with a mix of suprise and concern. But I had no doubt that he'd chalk up the snappy response as part of my normal, 'cranky' behavior.

" Bob, you okay? You kind of spaced out on me for a second there."

Or perhaps not.

" As fine as can be expected. Is the potion done yet or do I have to stand here all night to monitor the process so you don't pass out face first into it?" It was thinly veiled concern, I know. But Harry winced at the small barb that was attached to it and I immediately regretted the wording.

" It's simmering right now. But I called you a couple of times, you sure every things okay?" I always had to give Harry points at how quickly he recovered from my snide remarks. " You've been acting like this ever since, well you know."

" Ever since what Harry?" I snapped, my mouth suddenly letting out all my own frustrations on the nearest living thing before I could stop. "Since I supposedly betrayed you for my own mortality or when you sent me into the abyss of the otherworld to save your own hide? It's not as if you're one to speak Harry. Walking around like some animated corpse without realizing what kind of toll it's taking on your magic. Heaven forbid, a two bit amateur wizard could walk in this very moment and eviscerate you without much trouble."

I saw the pain in Harry's eyes quickly shrouded with anger by my bitter words, ones I would of taken back were it possible. We stared each other down for a few moments, the only sound in the lab Harry's breathing and the simmering potion.

to be continued..............