Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
842
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
15
Hits:
1,090

Differing Opinions

Summary:

RATING: PG
CLASSIFICATION: Cordelia/Joyce friendship
SUMMARY: Cordelia remembers one fond memory with Buffy's mom.
SPOILERS: The beginning and end take place directly after "The Body;" the middle takes place right after "Band Candy."
DISTRIBUTION: Any sites with my fic up; you all have unspoken permission. I write it, you can post it. Everyone else just keep my name on it and let me know.
DISCLAIMER: If you don't recognize it, chances are it's my own creation. If you do, I don't own it. Joss Whedon, Kazui Sandollar, The WB, UPN, et. al. most likely do.
FEEDBACK: Please send it offlist and let me know it's feedback; I do rapid delete on my account due to a lot of spam.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Answer to two ficathon challenges. #1, the Female Ficathon:
* Written For: Rebecca
* The female: Cordelia
* One other person to include: Joyce
* This fic should preferably take place after what event on what show?: Anytime before Joyce's death.
* Two things not to include: Character death.
* Two things to include: Friendship (or more), Bonding over art and fashion.
* Any certain quote to be used?: "I've never understood why you and Buffy didn't get along."
And #2, the Back to School Ficathon:
* Main Character Request: Joyce, Cordelia
* Genre: Humor
* Rating: Any
* Requests: gift shopping, tactless Cordy, bonding over coffee
* Restrictions: no sex, no angst
Submitted through the 'YG deleted' All-About-Cordy mailing list. Please join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AllAboutCordy

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

 

 

Differing Opinions
by Ragna
(writinggoddess@aol.com)

 

Cordelia hung up the phone quietly, staring at the handle. She didn't have to call; Cordelia was sure Angel would have passed on her sentiments to Buffy. Not that Cordelia had been all that close to Buffy's mother, but she had developed this knack for being more sentimental, more emotional, and...

Well, even though she wasn't an orphan, she knew what it felt like to be without a parent you loved who loved you back. She never had it, and maybe that was one of the things that had made Cordelia envy Buffy, but at the moment it was also one of the things that made her realize how much Buffy had lost.

Cordelia picked up the phone again and dialed Buffy's number. After two rings, someone picked up.

"Hello?"

"Buffy?"

"Who's this?"

"Cordelia."

There was a pause. "Is something wrong in LA?"

"No. I...I just wanted to see if you needed anything."

"Not really."

"Well...your mom was really nice. I just wanted...I don't know. I liked her. I'm sorry she's gone."

"Me too." There was another pause before Buffy said, "My mom once told me you went shopping with her."

"Once, yeah. She wanted to get you a gift, and Willow was busy, so I volunteered."

"Can you tell me about it?"

Cordelia leaned back in her couch. "Sure."

***

"I've never understood why you and Buffy didn't get along," Joyce said as she and Cordelia walked into the first store near where Joyce's car was parked on Main Street. It was a store aimed at teen fashion. Joyce went to the more conservative clothing while Cordelia headed for the jewelry.

"Because I'm more popular," Cordelia said simply.

"But aren't you dating Xander?"

Cordelia blushed. "Yeah, but since I'm popular it's okay."

Joyce smiled slightly and shook her head. "I've never really understood teenage politics."

"It's simple. Whatever the most popular girls wants she gets. And I want to date Xander, so it's okay." Cordelia picked up a pretty silver necklace. "If Buffy would ever take off that cross of hers, I think she'd look nice wearing this."

Joyce nodded. "I like it, too." She held up a skirt and a shirt. "What about these?"

Cordelia wrinkled her nose. "So not her style. Think...attractive yet functional. And something she can wash stains out of easily."

Joyce rummaged through a rack of shirts, pulling out a black one with the sides bunched up. "This?"

Cordelia looked at it critically. "Color won't show demon blood, it's easy to fix if it gets ripped..." She glanced at the tag. "And if it gets ruined beyond repair it's cheap enough to toss. Go for it."

Joyce smiled and laughed. "I think I'm glad you came along." She took the necklace from Cordelia and took both items up to the counter. "I think she'll like this."

"She better."

"Why?"

Cordelia shrugged. "If I were her mother I think I'd still be miffed over the disappearance thing."

"Well, she's shown she's responsible and I trust her again. Plus..." She looked at the two items. "Maybe I feel a little guilty."

"About what?"

"About something that happened that day we all ate those chocolates."

Cordelia opened her mouth. "I don't think I want to know what it is."

Joyce paid the cashier as she nodded. "Why don't we get some coffee?"

"Sure." They left the store and headed to the nearest coffee store, getting two mocha lattes to go. Instead of sitting at one of the benches outside or going back to Joyce's car, Joyce and Cordelia went to the gallery.

"I've never been in here before," Cordelia said. "You sell some nice stuff."

"Thank you," Joyce said, setting her coffee down on the counter. "Too bad I have to open up in a few minutes. You're an interesting young woman, Cordelia. I would love to talk more."

"Maybe I can stay and you can tell me about some of this art," Cordelia said, leaning on the counter a little.

"Okay," Joyce said. She pointed to a painting of a little boy sitting on a bench in the rain. "This is from a local artist..."

***

"And that was pretty much it," Cordelia said, sitting up a little to stretch. "Your mom showed me a lot of the stuff in the gallery, and then we finished up our coffees and I went home."

"I remember that shirt," Buffy said. "I loved it. I think we had to throw it away last month, though."

Cordelia laughed. "Your mom had good taste."

"I still have the necklace. Your taste isn't so bad, either."

"Hey, I think anyone would like jewelry, though I'm a gold woman, myself."

Buffy laughed a little. "Cordy...thanks."

"No problem. If you need me..."

"I know."

Cordelia tried to say something, but she couldn't figure out what to say exactly, so she simply said, "Bye, Buffy."

"Bye."

Cordelia hung up and looked at the phone again. Joyce had been right; she was an interesting young woman.

 

end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Ragna.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.