Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
687
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,619

Angelus Vox Vocis

Summary:

Can you really fall in love just from hearing a voice? Slash.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine,

et lux perpetua luceat eis.

Te decet hymnus, Deus, in Sion,

et tibi reddetur votum in Jerusalem.

Exaudi orationem meam;

ad te omnis caro veniet.

 

“Drake!” An annoyed voice rang out across the small chapel, “pay attention for once in your short life and stop distracting the people around you! When attending rehearsals singing with the rest of the choir is required! And no! That wasn’t a suggestion to skip rehearsals!”

 

 

 

Josh sat in the back pew of the small chapel, listening almost intently to the small choir rehearse. Perhaps it was cliché but they really did sound like angels, their voices soaring high above them.

Under normal circumstances he wasn’t a church-goer, and didn’t believe in God either -he blamed science for his lack of faith – instead, he was here because he had to get away, get time to himself before he his father insisted he go meet the ‘new family’.

His dad had suddenly picked up their life and had decided to move the two of them to San Diego, California. All this for some lady he had met via the internet, and now intended to marry!

 

 

 

“Sorry miss”, came a pleasant voice from one of the middle rows, belonging by the looks of it to the guy with auburn hair wearing a long-sleeved red shirt.

The conductor sighed, “Just don’t do it again.”

“Of course not, miss.”

Unfortunately for Drake, she knew that his promise wouldn’t be kept. The boy was good, he just never payed attention, preferring instead to talk to the boy next to him, no matter who she put there, he still did it.

“From the top.”

 

 

 

Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine,

et lux perpetua luceat eis.

Te decet hymnus, Deus, in Sion,

et tibi reddetur votum in Jerusalem.

Exaudi orationem meam;

ad te omnis caro veniet.

 

This time, the music was uplifting, sweeping Josh along with the long melody lines and releasing his mind to the beauty of it.

 

 

Kyrie eleison.
Christe eleison.
Kyrie eleison.

 

 

Like a surge the music lifted him up once more and filled him to the brim before bringing him back down and retreating, leaving him feeling empty, bereft.

 

 

 

 

“Choir! ‘O Holy Night’ everyone!”

 

 

 

Papers rustled on stands and Josh waited with bated breath.

 

 

 

“Drake! The solo! What are you waiting for?”

 

 

 

The boy in question unfolded his slender limbs from his seat as the organ started up slowly.

 

 

 

Oh holy night!

The stars are brightly shining

It is the night of the dear Savior's birth!

 

 

The voice that came out of those pink lips was a gorgeous smooth tenor, haunting beautiful.

 

 

 

Long lay the world in sin and error pining

Till he appear'd and the soul felt its worth.

A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices

For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn!

 

 

Stirring and beautiful, something ached inside Josh, an ache unnoticed before this boy’s singing began. His voice touched something, and Josh was lost. Lost in a voice he had only just heard. Drowning.

 

 

 

Fall on your knees

Oh hear the angel voices

Oh night divine

Oh night when Christ was born

Oh night divine

Oh night divine.

 

 

The rest of the choir joined in, a lovely mass of voices all singing in joyous harmony.

 

 

 

Led by the light of Faith serenely beaming

With glowing hearts by His cradle we stand

So led by light of a star sweetly gleaming

Here come the wise men from Orient land

The King of Kings lay thus in lowly manger

In all our trials born to be our friend.

Truly He taught us to love one another

His law is love and His gospel is peace

Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother

And in His name all oppression shall cease

Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,

Let all within us praise His holy name.

 

 

As the song ended Josh was left in awe, left wanting and yet not receiving. The boy with auburn hair and pretty brown eyes, Drake, smiled charmingly at him, and like an angel falls from heaven, he fell.

 

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Adela Nightmoon.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.