Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
614
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,072

Not A Slayer Anymore

Summary:

RATING: PGish
CLASSIFICATION: An AU, in an alternate Wishverse
SUMMARY: Cordelia wishes that Buffy wished she wasn't the Slayer, instead of wishing that Buffy never came to town.
SPOILERS: Set after "The Wish" but in a completely different Wishverse. Evidence of the changes will be a lot more apparent in the next part.
DISTRIBUTION: Any sites with my fic up; you all have unspoken permission. I write it, you can post it. Everyone else just keep my name on it and let me know.
DISCLAIMER: If you don't recognize it, chances are it's my own creation. If you do, I don't own it. Joss Whedon, Kazui Sandollar, The WB, UPN, et. al. most likely do. "Tango in the Night" belongs to Fleetwood Mac.
FEEDBACK: Please send it offlist and let me know it's feedback; I do rapid delete on my account due to a lot of spam.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This hopefully won't be too long, since I know there are a set of females waiting to get an answer to their challenge. ::grin:: I took the challenge presented by the Geekgirlz called the Wishverse Challenge; info on it can be found at http://www.geekgirlz-r.us/challenge/ I also answered another challenge in this part, using one of the songfics they'd had listed.
Submitted through the 'YG deleted' All-About-Cordy mailing list. Please join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AllAboutCordy

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

 

 

Anyanka sat on the ground, beneath the tree of the Slayer's house. She looked up, not sure what to do. Something like this had never happened before, in all of her years as a vengeance demon.

She heard a song drifting out from the kitchen window, where the Slayer's mother was baking something. The Slayer didn't notice. She never noticed the small things her mother did for her, not since she had to send her lover away through that portal.

And now he was back, and things were just as confusing for her as ever.

{Listen to the wind on the water
Listen to the waves upon the shore
Try to sleep, sleep won't come
Just as I begin to fade}

Anyanka shrugged, standing up. Cordelia had made her wish: she wished Buffy could wish herself out of being the Slayer. It was time to make that wish come true, but only if Buffy wished it.

Cordelia just should have wished Buffy never came to town, Anyanka thought, heading for the house. Or maybe the girl had it right after all; at least this way, when the universe changed, there'd still be a Slayer.

{Then I remember
When the moon was full and bright
I would take you in the darkness
And do the tango in the night
Tango...}

She paused at the door. In a way, Cordelia's wish affected the one person who really had nothing to do with this. Anyanka shouldn't knock on the door and ask to see Buffy, to tell her about her wish. She should just go to the next woman.

But...a wish was a wish.

{I keep the dream in my pocket
Never let it fade away
Inside, outside
No loneliness in this dream}

Still, Anyanka thought as she continued to listen to the song, Cordelia had every right to wish her wish, even if it did change Buffy's life forever. Fair was fair after all.

Anyanka glanced inside to the woman doing to baking. At least the Slayer's mother may not have to worry about her daughter so much anymore.

And she could listen to the music without having to worry about whether her daughter was really safe or not, whether she was fighting the dark anymore.

{Then I remember
When the moon was full and bright
I would take you in the darkness
And do the tango in the night
Tango...}

***

All Buffy remembered was that weird girl Anya coming by and telling her she had to make a wish. She just, off the top of her head, wished she wasn't a Slayer.

But that couldn't be true! She'd prove it to herself, somehow. She *was* the Slayer.

***

"Morning, honey," Joyce said as she poked her head in through Buffy's door. "How was the party last night?"

"What party?"

"The one at Chris' house. Or was it Steven's? I can't remember...you just have so many friends." She smiled. "I'm off to work. Oh, go pick up a dress for the Bronze party later this week. I left the credit card on the counter. Remember, don't spend as much as you did last time, okay?"

Buffy nodded, her head feeling fuzzy. "Okay, Mom." She threw her covers off and looked around. Her room *seemed* the same, but...

Well, there were more clothes in the closet. And come to think of it, a lot more clothing. And there was more make-up than she owned on her vanity. And where was Mr. Gordo?

She shook her head, laughing as she saw Mr. Gordo at the bottom of her bed. "What was I worrying about?" Buffy asked the pig. "Nothing changed...really." Then she sighed. "I hope."


END

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Ragna.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.