Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
2,823
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,599

Cascade

Summary:

Rating PG-13
Summary: The first stage is friendship, talking. Then sometimes, just sometimes, everything flows together and takes you somewhere you are surprised to be.
Pairing: Wash/Simon
For _thunder_nari_ who wanted Wash/Simon, laughter and a detour.
Pairing: Wash/Simon
For the Firefly round at http://community.livejournal.com/maleslashminis/profile _maleslashminis_ http://community.livejournal.com/maleslashminis/
Thank you very much http://noandwhere.livejournal.com/profile _noandwhere_ http://noandwhere.livejournal.com/ for the beta *hugs*
Submitted through http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Makebelieve_YG

Work Text:

 

 

Cascade
by wildannuette


"Right, Zoe an’ me we’re heading back to the docks, got a man to meet about a job." Mal’s voice cuts into Simon’s thoughts and brooks no argument as he pours the last of the sake between their glasses.

Jayne snorts, gulps down his drink and stands up. "If yer not gonna be needin ’ me, I’ll be goin’. Got some coin left over an’ a damn fine way to spend it." Dropping the cup on the table, he adjusts his pants, sniffs and strides off without waiting for a reply.

Simon squints, his eyes following the merc for a moment, missing the glances between Zoe and Wash as he hurriedly finishes the remnants of his own beverage. It has been a while since he’s been off the ship and while it isn’t his choice- Mal convincing him a sore head through drinking was better than one through dragging- he’s enjoyed himself. The sake’s left an agreeable glow in his belly and he’s found himself taking pleasure in the company. A little too much in some cases and little less in others but on the whole it’s been a nice night.

Just because the planet wasn’t Alliance-friendly, didn’t automatically make it a safe haven or the perfect excuse for Simon to go off-ship. If anything Simon was all the more guarded; after all the Alliance were obvious when they came after you, outfits and attitude being a dead-giveaway as to who they were, it was harder to tell with the more unscrupulous among the Rim. Any one of them could recognise Simon from his ‘wanted’ posters on the Cortex and decided to cash in on some undeserved money.

That had been Simon’s argument, but Mal had calmly brushed it to one side and ordered the doctor off-ship with them. Even Jayne had agreed with Simon’s impassioned speech, though the doctor suspected it was more out of the horror at having to drag Simon along with them, than agreeing with his logic.

"Best take him home ‘fore he forgets his sensibilities and musses up that delicate skin of his." Mal’s words aren’t malicious, amusement flashing in his eyes despite his stoic expression and Simon rolls his eyes, barely swallowing back his snort as Wash grins in reply.

"I’m sure he can take care of Simon just fine," There’s nothing in Zoe’s voice to suggest she’s amused but there’s an interesting gleam in her eyes as she glances at Wash. Something unspoken passes between them capturing Mal’s attention for a moment, giving Simon the opportunity to pilfer what’s left in his cup.

Either the Captain doesn’t notice or doesn’t care as he eyes his empty cup. Pushing his chair back and casting Wash a speculative look, he leaves without saying a word and Zoe shortly following-the only obvious sign of intimacy between them, a pat to her back from Wash as she moves passed them.

Simon’s glad they aren’t a publicly tactile couple, it’s hard enough to keep the attraction he has for Wash at bay, if they were more affectionate he’s sure jealousy would rear its ugly head. Married or not, he can’t help appreciating the pilot, lusting after him even and while he’s had these thoughts briefly for other members of the crew none have been so strong as he has for Wash. He’s been crushing on the pilot from the moment they’d spent time together, months ago while waiting at Whitefall. Which means right at this moment Wash is both the best and worst person to be with, especially with Simon’s inhibitions at an all time low.

"Sorry you’re stuck with me, can‘t be much fun." Simon smiles ruefully at Wash, saying the words even though he’s not that sorry at spending more time with him; closer to gleeful than apologetic.

"Hey I’m all about the fun, all for spending time with you Simon." Wash is still grinning, which is one of the many things Simon finds so appealing about him. No matter the situation, Wash can always find or create humour to bring up their spirits. "Although, we’d better be getting back to Serenity," Wash held up his cup waggling it, "Zoe took all our money with her just to be on the safe side and if I have much more I’ll be carrying us both back to the ship."

Simon can’t help pouting a little, as he eyes all five empty glasses and pats his own empty pockets. "I guess that would be a good idea, I wouldn’t want to be carried anywhere." Not unless it was really worth it, the sly voice at the back of his mind reminds him.

It’s when they step outside that Simon feels more tipsy; when cool air hits his face making him blink and stumble a little, Wash’s arm going around his waist for support. He doesn’t really need the support for more than a moment, finding his balance easily, but Simon doesn’t pull away as they walk up the street, Wash’s arm still holding him closely.

"Just as well Jayne went to find himself some action." Simon frowns at Wash‘s words, arching an eyebrow questioningly as he looks at him, Wash’s grin tempered to a smile by now as he explains. "You wouldn’t have returned in the same state you left. He’d have either beaten you black and blue or had you thoroughly debauched by the time you got back to Serenity."

"You’re joking?" Simon’s eyes were wide, torn between laughing and asking some more, but Wash merely chuckles and follows the street back up to the docks. A comfortable silence stretches between them as Simon takes over leading, lost in musings and moving ahead of Wash slightly, the hand slipping from his waist to intertwine with his own.

So now he is trudging through the streets; slowly sobering up and trying to hide it, with Wash at his side.

"Are you sure you know where you’re going?" The question startles Simon, Wash still following though looking very dubious and it’s then Simon notices that he really doesn’t know where they are. That he’s been walking on autopilot, down Tian only knows what back road. Yet he nods, feigning certainty.

"And the reason we couldn’t just walk straight through the docks was?"

A certainty Wash is evidently going to call him on. Simon wracks his brain for the first excuse he can find, remembering some drunkards Jayne had harassed earlier. "I would have thought the three hulking men standing at the end of the road were reason enough for you."

"You honestly think they were…that Jayne could have annoyed them that much? Wo de ma, what am I thinking, they were probably ready to kill us!" Wash grasps Simon’s arm in mock terror and then grins at him.

At least he believed me. They fell silent again as they walked, Simon occasionally glancing at Wash. He’s unsure where they are going, knows they are getting more and more lost by the moment though he’s keeping up the pretence that he does. Even if they aren’t talking, Simon’s liking the company, though he ’s a little uneasy, not wanting to have to sneak glances at the man. He catches Wash’s gaze, sees the other man staring back at him, a contemplative look upon his face.

Great.

He hopes his attraction isn’t too obvious, at least to Wash. Simon knows Zoe’s caught him glancing one too many times, seen the speculative look in her eyes, almost assessing and appraising. And he isn’t about to try treading on her toes. Wash is speaking now, though Simon’s only half-listening. He loves seeing Wash so animated when he talks, enthusiasm in every word. His quips and comments, pouts and laughs…though it’s his question that gets Simon’s full attention.

"So what was it you were going to say earlier, when we were talking? You shouldn’t pay any attention to Jayne-just talk over him-that’s what the rest of us do. He sulks for a minute or so but that’s about it."

Oh that conversation Simon remembers, though Jayne’s cut in and interrupted him many times which means he can claim ignorance. "I’m not sure. It probably wasn’t all that interesting."

Wash gives him a look, faking astonishment. "Sake-induced moments of hilarity, what’s not to like?"

Damn.

"You didn’t say yours either." It’s the only thing he can dredge up and point out to counter Wash’s interest.

"Ah-" To Simon’s surprise, Wash looks embarrassed, "a few to tell if I’m truthful. Can only really narrow it down to two."

Simon wisely chooses to stay quiet, a smile playing around his lips as Wash looks and finally sighs, continuing. "A little while after I came aboard, I tried everything to get Zoe to thaw to me." He pauses, shrugging slightly, "Now Mal he was fine right off. Maybe a little taken aback by the dinosaurs and he used to comment at least once a day saying my shirts were an eyesore, but Zoe- she just did not take to me." He shook his head, perplexity on his face as he remembers. "Was a little over a month since I’d got aboard and much as I was loving it, loving this crew, I couldn’t quite feel comfortable with Zoe and in all honesty, the woman was hot so there was more than one reason that I was trying to."

Simon’s smile wanes a little, becoming slightly forced as his stomach clenches. It’s not that he doesn’t know Wash finds Zoe beautiful, he married the woman after all. It’s just not the nicest of reminders, but he can’t stop listening.

"So one night I got all lamenting and broody, since Zoe was barely speaking to me except to be curt and ordering-so I invited Mal-" Wash groans, rubbing his head as a blush creeps across his cheeks. It’s endearing and has Simon leaning closer, their steps slowing down to a crawl. "Mal on sake, seriously on sake-shots and all- is not a pretty sight and the man has a seriously twisted sense of humour. I can’t rightly remember how, but he convinced me that Zoe had a phobia against hair. All sincere and offering to help, the last thing I remember is drinking more and discussing the best way to rectify it."

Simon tries not to laugh, he can sense something coming, the blush on Wash’s cheeks is growing darker at as the explanation continues.

"I’m lucky I didn’t end up bald, we must have passed out just before we got that far." Wash rubs head and looks sheepish as Simon swallows back the snigger. "Luckily we started from the feet and worked our way up. Lets just say the 'stash was gone and everyone in general-not just Zoe- was more receptive to me."

"Seriously?" A little laughter slips out, Simon just managing to catch it behind his hand. He’s not sure he believes it, but there is sincerity is shining out of Wash’s eyes.

The pilot can’t seem to stop grinning either, the laughter infectious and caught between them, "Oh it’s funny now but that’s not the worst part. For days afterward I itched, ma de did it burn, and we didn’t have a medic back then. Both Mal and Zoe did stand in and Mal wasn’t about to let me off easy. I lasted three days and then Zoe caught me rooting around for supplies. I never did see a woman so surprised when I explained," He pauses, dropping Simon’s hand to cover his face with both of them. "She made me show her, just for the sake of my own health, gave me a long lecture on dry shaving with a blunt razor-kept her laughing for days." Wash smiles at the fond memory.

"I’ll bet," Simon can’t help grinning, his enjoyment obvious. His hand feels odd for a moment, like he’s missing Wash’s but the pilot’s already reaching to grasp it once more.

"And the second, the second will take a lot of sake just to get me to remember-thankfully there were few witnesses and the only casualty was one fine pink dress-believe me all the looking at me won’t change that Simon. Pretty or not."

Simon’s confused by sudden turn of conversation, both men facing each other now, stopped in the centre of a street that thankfully isn‘t so busy. Pretty isn’t a word Simon would have attributed to himself and certainly not one he thought Wash would give to him. Before he can ask, Wash is already changing the subject, catching Simon off guard again.

"So come on, what devious conniving things did fate do to you, when you drank too much?"

"Oh," Simon runs his fingers through his hair, glancing away for a moment, a grin on his lips as he looks back. The sake is still making him feel that little bit lighter but even without it Simon’s sure he would see being this open with Wash as natural-especially with Wash being so open to begin with. He wonders just how many people knew of that interesting tale.

"The last time I really went wild was when I’d just made surgeon. Though it wasn’t just me-there were others." He swallows the next words catching Wash’s ‘I’m sure’ expression and amends. "One other. We were trying to outdo each other, more outrageous dares by the moment, hence I found myself atop the statue of Hippocrates, completely buck naked; sprouting erotic, and might I add less flowery, and more descriptive poetry."

"There once was a sly man from-" Wash’s eyes twinkle as Simon slaps a hand over his mouth, "sorry, should that be shuai?"

"Poetry-erotic and not too smutty. Fruit and food and flower analogies, if I remember rightly."

Wash doesn’t hold back the laugh that bubbles up, part astonishment as he’s imagining, "Naked atop Hippocrates huh? Bet that made the cortex. Some tricky classmate decides to get a few pictures-" He makes a motion with his hands that Simon doesn’t recognise, and then looks innocent as he adds, "I wonder if there’s any left around. Maybe I’ll get lucky?"

Simon looks as perplexed as he feels, unsure whether to take the words as flirting or his own wishful thinking. Wash is jovial enough, whistling or attempting to as he keeps up the innocent expression, Simon trying to decide if Wash is just been overly friendly, wanting potential blackmail or flirting with him.

After a long silence, Wash glances towards him, bouncing a little on his heels.

"Simon?"

Simon flicks his eyes to him for a moment but doesn’t answer, eyes firmly fixing back to the road ahead.

"Simon-"

The wheedling note brings a smile to Simon’s face and dispels the confusing thoughts, though he tries to keep his face schooled in an annoyed look. "Look I swear to you, before we even left the ship I memorised Zoe’s directions about twenty times and River already made me stare at a map of this place just in case."

They’ve stopped walking now, Simon dropping Wash’s hand to his own regret to fold them over his chest.

"Anyone tell you, you’re pretty when you’re prissy?"

Words said with a shrug and a smile make Simon’s mouth drop open, rendering him speechless. Opening and closing it as no sound comes out.

"Uh huh." Wash’s fingers flick to point at a small familiar shop sign by the side of road, ‘Benson’s Cortex surfing, best rates planetside’.

Damn. Simon blushes deeply, heat flushing through his body as he squirms under Wash’s eyes.

"So we’re not lost then?" Wash shoots a grin at him, making Simon squirm some more. "Tzao gao and I thought I was stubborn and bad at asking for directions."

Simon groans, "I could have sworn-" Looking around, the doctor realises he’s taken them completely off track, completely diverted, though he’s pleased to see Jayne’s friends from earlier haven’t bothered following.

"So-" Wash rocks a little, eyes fixed to Simon’s and the doctor can see a hint of mischief and interest in his eyes as he speaks, "Not some nefarious plan to get me alone and have your wicked way with me then?"

If he was stunned before, Simon’s now lost all power of speech and breath. Mouth agape, he can feel his arm tingle as Wash grasps his wrist, stepping forward. Close against Simon, but Simon’s not moving back either as Wash’s lips close over his own in a firm kiss. He squeaks, unable to make any other sound, his lips parting as Wash’s tongue slips between them teasing at Simon’s own. Exploring and tasting, his other hand running up Simon’s back and neck, to stroke through his hair and Simon finally responds. Melts into the kiss, deepening it and giving back just as eagerly.

And then Wash ends it. Over far too soon and with a light nip to his lower lip, Wash murmurs the word, "Shame," against Simon’s lips before pulling away. His eyes are twinkling as he straightens his shirt and runs his tongue over his lips.

"Maybe next time?" The pilot smiles, Simon unable to not do so back though it’s more bewildered as Wash turns and slowly walks back the way they’ve come, turning to check Simon’s following as the doctor regains the use of his legs and hurries to catch up.

Next time.


end