Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 4 of Gillian
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2004-07-29
Words:
33,228
Chapters:
3/3
Kudos:
27
Hits:
1,798

Sunt Lacrimae Rerum...

Summary:

Tyr's past comes haunting him... *Complete!*
Sequel: A sequel to Corona Astralis.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: complete

Notes:

Fandom: Andromeda
Sequel: A sequel to Corona Astralis.
Summary: Tyr's past comes haunting him... *Complete!*
Rated: G

Chapter Text

Gillian 4: Sunt Lacrimae Rerum?
By Cherubino


Tyr knew he had to move, to get up. Through hot haze of pain this one coherent thought dominated his mind. He must get up; his survival depends on it. He tried to move but a wave of agony washed over him and he barely held back the scream. He probably made some sort of a sound because he heard footsteps and someone was leaning over him, pushing him down gently.

"You are awake, good. I almost lost hope." Tyr opened his eyes and saw a young man, almost a boy, leaning over him. He tried to speak but couldn't. Something cold touched his lips and he felt water running over his lips. An arm went under his shoulders, lifting him, and he drank the offered water. The drink helped and he spoke hoarsely:

"Where am I? Who are you?"

"You are still in the mines. I am Darren. You beat up the guard and saved my life and it got you the whipping. They wanted to kill you but the headmaster came and said they need strong workers, so they stopped. You'll stay here for a while, until you can work again."

Tyr began to recall the events that resulted in his current predicament. He had seen this kid before, lurking around, bringing water and food and caring for injuries of other slaves, his dark copper curls and pale skin always making him noticeable. He was quite strong, lean and wiry and quick. Most overseers didn't bother paying attention to him, but one of the guards took particular interest in him. Tyr didn't know or care why in the beginning, but when he heard the boy scream and saw what the guard intended to do he couldn't stand it and almost strangled the bastard. The others came running and as Darren had said, if not for the need in workers Tyr would have been dead.

The kid spoke again: "Think you can sit up? I need to look at your back. I cleaned it up as much as I could while you were out of it, but I'd like to put something on it. I have good faith in your nanobots but I am not sure they can keep up with the filth here."

Tyr nodded and the boy held out his hand. Tyr gripped it and Darren hauled him up. Gritting his teeth Tyr tried to control the onslaught of pain. After a minute or two he became aware of his surroundings again and told the kid to do his thing. Darren's hands were surprisingly gentle and yet he seemed to know what he was doing. When finished he handed Tyr a clean shirt.

"Put it on. Better keep your back covered for a while."

When Anasazi took the offered garment he saw that Darren's usually long sleeves were rolled up and his forearms were adorned by boneblades. The kid was a Nietzschean.

"What Pride are you, boy?"

"None. I am a mongrel."

Tyr growled: "Don't you dare call yourself that, child!"

Darren snarled: "Really? And what Pride would you write me up to when my mother was raped by Nietzschean raiders? There were so many of them she wouldn't have known which one was my father even if she cared to. Which she didn't. She left me at the hospital and never looked back. The hospital was ran by a group of Wayists, they raised me, taught me the beginnings of medicine. Three years ago the Dragans came and I have been here ever since. So, Kodiak, which Pride you think I am?"

Tyr looked at the boy solemnly and answered: "I am sorry about your predicament, child. But I still do not like you calling yourself a mongrel."

"And why is that? Every other full-blood calls me that."

"My wife is human and we have a daughter. If anyone calls her a mongrel I will kill them instantly."

Darren looked thoughtful for a moment. "I felt you were different from other Nietzs. I mean, why would you want to help me and risk your skin for a -- a nobody like me? It's anti-survival."

Tyr smiled ruefully, "I seem to be doing a lot of things that are anti- survival lately."

"Well, right now you are going to actually aid your survival by resting. I think the overseers will want you back to work tomorrow, so you need to heal. It?ll be better if you turn to your stomach, make it easier on the back."

Tyr complied; taking short controlled breaths to deal with pain, carefully turned, pillowed his head on his folded arms and closed his eyes. But sleep wouldn?t come. He kept thinking of Rebecca and Victoria and the strange and sad chain of events that brought him here and his heart was heavy. Only two months ago he was so happy?

* * *

Victoria woke up again crying. She was teething and cutting her bone blades at the same time and the child and her parents haven't had a moment's peace in weeks. Tyr stopped Beka and got up himself. He picked Victoria up, wrapped her in the blanked and settled her on his shoulder. She immediately buried her face in the nook of his neck, made a satisfied gurgle and fell asleep again. Tyr smiled, rubbed her back lightly and whispered: "Young lady, you are turning into a brat!" He knew that if he would sit down she?d wake up, so he headed out of their quarters, along his usual nightly path ? three circles around the ship and to the Obs deck. Upon entering the latter Tyr saw that Dylan was already there, baby Daniel nestled in his arms. The Nietzschean and the human smiled their understanding to each other. Fatherhood didn?t come easy and this was only the beginning.

* * *

Gillian sat up on the bed. Something was amiss. She knew it was time for Daniel?s bottle and he was always loudly demanding it, but the room was eerily quiet. Neither Daniel nor Dylan was here.

"Rommie," Gillian said still trying to clear her head, "where are the boys?"

"Obs deck."

"Could you tell Dylan to bring Daniel back? It?s time to feed him."

"I think you need to go there yourself. There is something you should see."

"O-kay, I am going."

Gillian pulled on her robe and went to the Obs deck. She walked in and saw Beka looking at the couch in total amazement. When she came closer, Gillian realized why Rommie insisted on her coming here. On the couch, half sitting ? half laying were Tyr and Dylan, leaning on each other, babies in their arms, all four sound asleep.

"Rommie, can you take a picture of this?" Beka whispered.

"Sure."

"Make that two." Added Gillian.

Beka walked out and came back few minutes later with a blanked that she gently laid over the sleeping group on the couch. She motioned to Gillian and they quietly left the Obs deck. It didn?t make sense to go back to sleep so they went over to the Mess hall to get coffee.

"If anyone had told me three years ago," said Beka sitting down with a steaming mug in hand, "that I would be married to Anasazi, have a baby with him and that he and Dylan would be good friends, I?d think they were on Flash."

"I know what you mean." Gillian replied. "Father is still getting over the fact that I am actually married, the whole notion that he is a Grandpa still hasn?t fully settled in. But I have to give it to the old man ? he accepted both you and Tyr into the family."

Beka smiled. "I think the fact that Tyr saved your life and delivered Daniel had something to do with it. You are such a show-stealer!"

"Hey, I wasn?t planning on it! Danny wasn?t due for another two weeks; we were taking you to Father?s clinic to deliver Victoria. Who knew that my boy would get impatient all of a sudden!"

"I guess Maru being attacked by two Dragan cruisers had something to do with it!"

Gillian smiled. Now she could laugh about it, then it didn?t seem so funny.

* * *

The Maru trembled again. One cruiser was gone, but they couldn?t shake off the other. The ammo was running low and Dylan was worried. He concentrated on his piloting and Tyr fired another barrage of missiles as Dylan took Maru into a Dead Man?s Loop. The cruiser tried to follow the maneuver but got hit and exploded. Unfortunately it exploded too close and they got bombarded by debris. The ship shook again and sparks flew from the engines. Dylan popped the security belts and got off the pilot?s chair.

"Tyr, what?s the damage?"

"The slip drive is off-line, but we still have the engine operational. Weapons are functional, ammunition supplies are low."

"Can we repair the slip drive ourselves?"

Before Tyr could answer, Beka yelled: "Whatever you have to do, do it fast! We have to get out of here! Gillian?s water just broke!"

"What?"

"Are you deaf? She is having a baby!" As if to drive the point home Gillian doubled over and screamed as another contraction hit her.

Dylan looked completely lost. He knew he had to do something, he just couldn?t remember what it was. Tyr walked over to Gillian and picked her up. He carried her over to the crew quarters area and laid her carefully on the bunk. Returning he went over to Dylan.

"I suggest you start on the repairs. We haven?t got much time." Dylan still stood unmoving. Tyr grabbed him by the shoulders and shook him none too gently:

"Captain Hunt! Snap out of it!" Dylan blinked, "Yes, the engines, I?m on it."

"Good. Rebecca, are you alright?"

"Fine."

"Come with me." Tyr put his arm around her waist and gently guided her from the bridge. When they entered the room Gillian screamed again. Anasazi looked concerned:

"Gillian, how far apart are the contractions?"

"About two-three minutes. I feel I am going to deliver soon."

"You are. Don?t worry, I will help you."

Beka laughed: "I didn?t know mercenary schools taught midwifing."

"They don?t. However every Nietzschean male knows how to assist in childbirth. Rebecca, stay with her, I?ll be right back."

Tyr went and brought supplies he deemed necessary. Sitting next to Gillian he took her hand: "Don?t worry, you will be fine. Nothing will happen to you or your child."

Gillian tried to smile at him but another wave of pain hit. When it subsided she said, panting: "One would think that with all the advances in medicine something could be done for the pain. Only with my luck I have to go through labor the old-fashion way! Oww!" She squeezed Tyr?s hand, almost crushing it. Not even flinching, he turned to Beka:

"She is ready. Take my place, I have to deliver the baby now."

Gillian looked at him: "Better be careful, Uber!"

"Always, Kludge. Ready to push?"

Half an exhausting hour later a loud cry sounded through the ship-wide comm and Beka?s voice followed: "Congratulations, Dylan, you have a son!" When Dylan walked in seconds later his face was threatening to split from an enormous grin. He went over to Gillian and she handed him the baby:

"Dylan, I want you to meet Daniel." He took the child and just looked at him in total awe of this miracle. When he turned to Gillian he couldn?t speak. He just bent down and kissed her. She touched his face gently. He looked at Tyr:

"I don?t know how to thank you."

"I do." Beka answered. "Get the Maru fixed, because I don?t think he is up to delivering another baby right now." Tyr did a double take: "Rebecca?"

"Yep."

"When did it start?"

"About half-an-hour ago."

"Why didn?t you tell me right away?"

"Because you were kinda busy delivering a baby?"

Dylan interrupted: "The slip drive is fixed, we can go."

Three hours later Tyr became a proud father of a daughter. When Beka told him she wanted to name the girl Victoria he cried. Wrote it off on the dust in his eyes, but no one believed him.

And so the new chapter opened up for Andromeda and her crew ? the Parenthood.

* * *

Gillian was on her way to get Daniel from Trance when Tyr caught up with her. He was carrying both Victoria and Daniel. Gillian smiled, it was quite a sight ? Tyr with two armfuls of squirming babies. Victoria was practically hanging on his braids and Daniel had all ten fingers stuck in the loops of Tyr?s chainmail shirt. And judging by the aroma wafting after the trio, at least one of the kids had a "surprise" in the diaper. Hearing the exasperated growl Gillian hurried to take Danny from Anasazi. The boy immediately wound himself up around her neck, cooing happily.

"Gillian, we need to talk."

"What?s on your mind?"

"I thought that Trance was supposed to baby-sit today?"

"Yes, she was."

"I found the kids crawling all over Rev Bem and Trance was nowhere in site!"

Gillian chuckled. "You know, sometimes I think the kids think that Rev is a walking, talking plush toy. And he lets them get away with murder!"

"This is the problem! I don?t like the idea of the children getting comfortable with Rev Bem! He is a Magog!"

"Tyr," Gillian spoke calmly, "Daniel adores you. Do you like him being comfortable with you?"

"Of course, you know I think of your son as of my own child!"

"But you are a Nietzschean. Would every Nietzschean treat him the same way you do? Should I teach him to be afraid of you?"

Tyr sighed. "You have a point. So what shell we do about it?"

"Nothing. We just need to explain to the children that every race has good people and bad people and teach them to be prepared to deal with both."

"Your patented "Do not transpose prejudices towards the people onto the individuals" principle?"

"Yep. Worked for you and I, didn?t it?"

Tyr hugged her with his free arm: "Yes, Kludge, it did."

She poked him in the ribs: "Watch it, Uber!"

Dylan?s voice over the ship-wide comm interrupted their banter: "Mr. Anasazi, I need to see you in my office. Sans the babies, please."

Gillian laughed: "Someone forgot they are on duty? Give me the kids and go get your lecture." She took the babies from Tyr and went to her quarters. Tyr laughed behind her:

"He won?t be too hard on me, we were planning a one-on-one basketball game tonight. He wouldn?t want me to be? in a bad mood."

Gillian turned around. If her hands were not full of kids she would have had them on her hips: "You two have to stop acting like adolescents! Every one of your games leaves you two with more bruises then you get in combat! If I see as much as a scrape on either of you tonight ? you?ll both be VERY sorry!"

* * *

Tyr walked in to Dylan?s office and stood silently. He knew that Dylan usually let the person he wanted to reprimand stew for some time before he would start talking, so he waited. After about five minutes Dylan looked up form the flexi he was reading.

"Ah, Tyr, good of you to come. I hope my request didn?t interfere with family duties?"

"Captain, I apologize for doing what I did. I was concerned about the children. May I remind you that your son was there too?"

"Precisely. Do you really think that if I suspected even a dismal possibility that the children may not be safe with Rev Bem I would allow him anywhere near them? If you were concerned, you should have said something to me or Gillian or Andromeda. Leaving the Command unattended is unacceptable under any circumstances. You are not to do it again, ever. Am I understood?"

"Yes, Sir. Perfectly."

"Good. Now have a seat. I have an assignment for you."

Tyr sat down. "I knew there was a real reason you wanted to see me."

"I still enjoyed giving you the lecture. Now, about the assignment. We are approaching the Calcutta Drift. Andromeda is running low on ammunition and some other supplies, so I had Rommie prepare the list. I want you to take the Eureka Maru and her Captain down to the Drift tomorrow and get the supplies we need. You have two days. Victoria will stay with us."

Tyr looked at Dylan, surprised. "Why don?t you go yourself?"

Huns smiled. "First, you are the Acting Weapons Officer, so it is your direct responsibility. Second, Beka is much better at bargaining and has better connections then I do. And third, both of you need a break. So stop complaining, go get your wife to start packing."

Tyr stood up to leave and was almost by the door when Dylan called after him: "The game is still on for tonight, don?t try to weasel your way out of it!"

"I wouldn?t dream of it, Dylan. And ? thank you."

* * *

Tyr and Beka were due back tonight and that wouldn?t be a moment too soon, Dylan thought to himself. Trying to feed two squirmy worms at the same time was exhausting. And messy. Somehow most of the mashed vegetables ended up on him, on the floor, all over the babies but not in their mouths. When Gillian walked in she doubled over with laughter. Dylan looked at her and she thought he was going to cry so she took over and half an hour later the kids were fed, cleaned and in their cribs for a nap. When she came back form the nursery Dylan was finishing the clean up in the dining room.

"You look like you need a bath too." She smiled and kissed his carrot- smudged nose.

"Are you planning on giving me one?"

"I think you are a big boy, you can wash yourself."

"What?s the fun in that?"

She was just about to say something when Rommie?s hologram appeared in the room:

"Dylan, I have an incoming transmission form the Maru."

He wiped his face with a napkin, "Put it trough here, please"

The vid screen lit up and they saw Beka?s face. She looked like she has been crying.

"Beka, what?s wrong? What happened?"

"Tyr is gone."

"What do you mean he is gone?"

"He disappeared."

"Back up, Beka. What exactly went on down there?"

"We finished getting the items on your list early last night, so we went walking around the Drift. You know, did a little shopping, had nice dinner. And then we saw this little shop with all kinds of junk ? old knives, weird trinkets, you name it. So all of a sudden Tyr wants to go see what else is there and we walked in. He goes around, looking at stuff and suddenly he turned white, like he had seen a ghost. When I saw what he was looking at, I got spooked too. It was a Helix band, much like his own, but old. Definite Kodiak markings on it. He bought it and when we got back to the Maru he checked the DNA recorded in it. You have to sit down for this ? the Helix was his father?s."

Beka paused and Dylan looked at Gillian astounded, trying to absorb the information Beka just gave him. Gillian urged Beka to continue:

"What happened next?"

"He became irrational. It looked like his past took over, he was acting strange -- lashing out in anger, crying, I have never seen him like that. Finally I was able to calm him down a little and we went to sleep. I woke up in the middle of the night and he was gone. I thought he needed some space and went outside; I didn?t want to crowd him. I went back to sleep, but he never showed up so I started looking for him. I can?t find him anywhere."

"Rommie," Dylan called and the hologram showed in the room. "Please try and trace Tyr?s nanobots. See if you can locate him."

Rommie closed her eyes and after few seconds replied: "Tyr is not on the Drift."

Beka?s hand flew to her mouth and she started crying again. Dylan stepped closer to the screen: "Beka, I am taking a shuttle and coming down. We?ll find him."

"I am coming too. No arguing about it." Gillian looked stern. Dylan put a hand on her shoulder: "I am not going to. I know how you feel about your brother."

***

"Dylan, I don't think that High Guard uniform is a good idea. You need something less ? conspicuous."

Dylan stopped dressing and looked at Gillian: "You know, just now you said exactly what Tyr would have said. Actually, he did say it to me once. We were about to go on a planet to look for Isabella Ortiz."

"Well, you know what they say -- great minds think alike. Anyway, Rommie helped me pick out some stuff for us to wear. I agree with her -- we should blend in nicely. C'mon, get moving, Captain."

"Aye, Ma'am." Dylan smiled.

"One more thing -- don't shave."

"Why?"

"Trust me on that. Just do -- or rather don?t do it."

Sometime later the crew gathered on the Obs deck. Dylan looked around and spoke:

"You all know that Tyr is missing. Beka is waiting for us down on Calcutta. Gillian, Rommie and Harper are coming with me on this mission. Trance and Rev are staying on Andromeda and looking after Victoria and Daniel. We have contacted Doctor Jonathan Ratischer; he is on his way here to help. Any questions?"

"No, Dylan. May the Divine be with you." Rev bowed and razed his claws in the gesture of a blessing. Trance smiled and patted Dylan on the shoulder: "I see a good possibility that everything will be alright. Don't worry about the kids, we'll be fine." Gillian and Dylan kissed the babies good- bye and then they were off.

* * *

Beka met them at the Maru's docking spot on the Drift. Dylan took one look at her and just gathered her in his arms. He gently guided her inside the Maru and sat down, still holding her and let her cry. Gillian, Rommie and Harper followed. When Beka was able to speak again, Dylan spoke softly to her:

"Beka, do you think you can tell us again what happened and how?"

Gillian interrupted: "Dylan, I think we better go to the shop where Tyr had found the Helix. Maybe the shopkeeper would know something."

"Agreed. We'll go with Beka to the shop, Rommie, I need you and Harper to go and see the Portmaster, find out what ships have been here and left in the past thirty-six hours. See if there was anyone we know, get the flight plans and crew compliments. If the authorities get too tight-lipped, use your talents."

Harper smirked: "You got it, Boss!"

* * *

When the foursome approached the shop the owner was pulling down the gates. Dylan called out: "Excuse me, do you mind not locking up yet? We need to talk to you."

"I've got nothing to say to no one. I'm just here minding me business; you wanna talk -- go talk to your girlfriend or somethin'."

"His girlfriend wants to talk to you. So, how about you open up and we go inside and talk?" Gillian piped in. To her utter astonishment, the old man paused at the sound of her voice, did a 180 degrees turn and ran over to her:

"Blessed be, m'lass, blessed be! I never thought I'd see you again!"

She looked cautiously at the old man, he did look familiar but she just couldn?t put her finger on it. "Do I know you?"

He gave her a wide, almost toothless smile: "You do, lassie, you do. You turned my life around, you did. Remember the old drunk on Pellius when you was looking for those lads of yours? When he told you 'bout the Chameleon and them Centurions?"

"Yes, I do remember."

"Well, m?lass, that?ll be me! The credit chip you gave me -- the lucky chip it was, m'lass! I did me some gamblin' and won big, got off the planet and bought me this shop! And all 'cause of you, lassie! What can I do for you and your friends here?"

"My friend is missing. The man who bought the Helix band from you." The old man became instantly serious.

"C'mon, lassie, let me close up shop and we'll talk somewhere safer. Too many ears in them walls around here, ya know what I mean."

"Ok, where then?"

"Black Pearl. Down the street and to your left, go ahead and I'll catch up."

* * *

The Black Pearl turned out to be one of the seediest places on the Drift. Drunks and cheap hookers were the main populace of this so-called bar.

"Thank you." Dylan whispered into Gillian's ear.

"For what?"

"For making me look the way I do now. In my uniform I would have stuck out like a sore thumb."

Gillian glanced at Dylan. His look was quite different form his usual neat- as-a-pin High Guard appearance. He wore ankle-length black leather coat over black leather pants and tight tee shirt. Force-lance strapped to his hip and heavy tracker boots completed the look. The beginning of a beard made startling contrast with the white streak in his hair. He appeared dangerous but at the same time raggedly handsome. She pulled him down and kissed him:

"I like the dangerous look. You should dress like that more often."

Dylan smiled: "When we find Tyr I will ask for his advice on the subject."

The group sat down at the booth waiting for the shopkeeper to join them. Beka was much calmer now. One of the "Ladies of the Night" sauntered over to their table and draped herself over Dylan.

"Wanna get some real action, big boy?" Dylan started saying something, trying to decline the offer politely when Gillian stood up and plucked the woman off his shoulders:

"Beat it, honey, this one is taken."

The hooker hissed and puled out a knife: "How 'bout I make him available?"

Dylan started to get up when Gillian pushed him down: "Stay." In a split second she had twisted the knife out of woman's hand and had her arm in a grip bend behind her back, the other hand gripping the hooker's hair:

"Let me reiterate -- He. Is. Taken. So beat it before I do more serious damage to you. Get your clients elsewhere. Am I understood?"

"Yes."

Gillian released the woman and she scurried away form their booth, rubbing her arm. Dylan frowned:

"Gillian, was it really necessary?"

Beka spoke before Gillian had a chance: "Absolutely. These places are like that -- she made a move on Gillian's man, namely you, so Gillian had to put her in her place or the bigger brawl would have started. Nice moves, Gillian."

"You know where I learned them." Beka's face darkened again and Gillian walked over to her: "Beka, he is alive. I know that, Trance is sure of that. We will find him, I promise." Beka smiled faintly and squeezed Gillian's hand: "Thanks."

"Hey, that's my brother we are talking about, I do not abandon family."

At this moment the shopkeeper came over and Dylan invited him to sit down. The old man waited for the waitress to come and get their orders and then he looked around and started talking:

"That thing that your friend bought, Helix is it? I got it that same day. A woman and two fellas with her, all three Nietzs, brought it in. I usually don't take things like that but these three didn't give me much choice, ya know what I mean? So I put it up and soon you two," he motioned his head in Beka's direction, "came in. I saw the Nietzs looking through the window and when he left with the missus and the band they walked in again. She pulls a gun on me and one of the fellas tells me that if the Nietz who bought it comes back with questions -- describe them to him, especially the woman, and tell him to look for them in the Brasco's Bodega. That place even worse then this one, close by too, right around the corner. Then he called out "Freya, let's go!" methinks so I know her name to tell your friend, and they leave. Three hours or so later the dark man comes back and starts all these questions, and I says I know nothing, I don't like these people, but I see one o'them loitering outside and I tells him what they wanted me to. And he leaves."

Even before the shopkeeper finished his tale Beka's expression turned grave. Dylan looked concerned as well. Gillian raised her eyebrows in question: "Is there something I need to know?"

"Freya is -- or was -- Tyr's wife. He mated into Orca Pride several years ago. Upon discovering the true intentions of Orcas he abandoned his wife. I think she wants revenge." He turned to the old man:

"Thank you. We appreciate the information you gave us. Here, this is for you." He handed the man a credit chip, left the money for the drinks on the table and got up to leave. A gnarled hand on his sleeve stopped him: "Listen to me, lad. This woman was crazy; I saw it in her eyes. Be careful, for hell hath no fury like the woman scorned."

"Thank you, I will remember your warning." The old man nodded and smiled at Gillian: "Godspeed, lassie. Find your brother. When you do -- tell him I'm sorry for setting him up. Was just savin' me life, I was." She nodded and they left.

The proprietors of Brasco's were not in any way cooperative and it took a lot of persuasion to get the information out of them. Finally, after being properly threatened, the barkeep told Dylan that he had several Nietzschean customers last night, three were together, two men and a woman, and the fourth came later. The altercation followed, when suddenly the fourth, the one who came later lost consciousness and the others carried him off. Dylan and Gillian searched the place and found the tranquilizer dart with blood on its needle. It was obvious that the three Orcas kidnapped Tyr. The question was -- what did they want to do with him?

* * *

Rommie and Harper waited for them to return. When they heard the hatch open, Harper ran over to meet them:

"It's about time! C'mon, get in, we need t get moving!"

"Seamus, clam down! What is going on?"

Rommie joined them on the Maru's bridge and explained their eagerness:

"The portmaster was less then cooperative and refused to disclose any information until we presented him with solid evidence of foul play, so I had to, ahm, distract him while Harper jacked into the station's systems and retrieved the information we need."

"Rommie, if I didn't know better I'd say you are blushing!"

"Our Rom-Doll was unbelievable! You should have seen her performance!" Rommie tapped Harper on the shoulder:

"Harper, clam down before you get apoplexy. Dylan, we were able to find out that there was an Orca Pride ship "Black Whale" docked here and they left right before we arrived. The security guard told me that three people left the ship, but four returned. The fourth person was a tall dark-skinned man, and he appeared to be drunk or, as he put it, "stoned". He was practically carried by two men, and the woman brought up the rear. They didn't leave a flight plan, but we struck gold -- either Tyr did something or the Divine was on our side, but the Black Whale left a trail of pion particles, much like Harper did for us once. I can easily follow these bread crumbs and hopefully we will find Tyr."

Dylan smiled: "Good job. Rommie, let the others know we are in pursuit of the Black Whale. We don't want Andromeda to be seen, so let them follow us on a safe distance in case we do need massive firepower."

"Aye, Captain."

"Gillian, have Rommie help you analyze the dart we found in Brasco's."

"I'm on it already."

"Beka, are you up to some piloting?"

"What do you think?"

"Ok, people, let's bring it!"

* * *

Gillian finished the scans. As she suspected, the blood was Tyr's and the dart contained a strong curare-based sedative. She was hoping they didn't overdose him, if that was the case he could experience severe respiratory problems. Rommie was concerned as well.

"Rommie, let's not worry Beka just yet. We'll cross this bridge when we get to it, she is worked up as it is."

"Agreed. I think we are close to our destination."

"I was not sure we had a destination."

"We didn't, but the Black Whale did. We just entered the orbit of Bellatrix Prime in the Orion Belt. The most famous slave market of today's universe, it is run by Drago-Katzov. The ship is still here, but there are no lifesigns on board. It is orbiting on autopilot."

Dylan walked in: "Rommie, can you trace Tyr's nanobots here?"

Rommie closed her eyes for a second. "Dylan, he is not on the surface. Tyr is on the Dragan ship that is leaving the orbit now!"

"We have to follow them! Dylan, we have to stop them!" Beka was on the verge of hysterics. Dylan took her by the shoulders:

"Beka, calm down. We know that Tyr is alive, we need to know who has him now so we can plan the course of actions. The ship that he is on is not a civilian vessel; it is a battle cruiser. Maru is no match for it; we have to wait for Andromeda to get here. Besides, I will not go into battle with children on board, so we have to escort Jonathan home first."

Beka sighed and sat down. "You are right, Dylan. It's just? I am worried about him, I am scared that?"

Gillian came over and hugged her. "Beka, we all are worried about him. He is my brother, not by blood but by everything else. We will get him back. We need you to keep your cool, you are the best pilot in the known world, we can't do it without you."

Beka returned the hug. She took a deep breath and smiled: "Thanks. I'm ok now, really. Let's see what we can do here."

Gillian thought for a moment, then spoke: "I think we can say we were bounty hunters and our "bounty" was stolen and possibly sold here. Give them Tyr's "Wanted" poster, we should have no problem getting the information."

Beka nodded, "I agree. I think I should go with Gillian. I know this type of people and Gillian's face is not yet famous around the galaxy like Dylan's is."

"As much as I hate the idea -- I have to agree. Even looking like this," he pointed at his outfit, "I am still easily recognizable. I need Harper and Rommie here, I hope we can hack into the local communication network and see what is going on. You two have three hours. If you are not back by then, we are coming after you."

"Understood."

Beka punched in the codes on the comm panel and soon the Portmaster's face appeared on the view screen.

"Yes?"

Beka put on her best plastic smile: "Hi! I am Captain Rebecca Valentine of the Eureka Maru, and this is my associate Jill Rosner. We were transporting someone to a very interested party and this someone had disappeared. I was wondering if you have seen him." She transmitted the file that contained Tyr's "Wanted" poster.

Gillian added in a sultry tone: "We will be grateful, very grateful if you can provide us with any information on his whereabouts."

The portmaster looked unimpressed. "Who are you working for?"

"The Mandau. Although I know for a fact that Drago-Katzov and Orca are interested too, so we were waiting to see whose offer would be best."

A speck of interest showed through Portmaster's indifferent demeanor. "You may dock your rustbucket and come to my office. We'll talk then."

Beka smiled again: "Thank you. We are looking forward to it. Eureka Maru out."

Beka turned to Dylan: "Ok, you three sit tight. Do your hacking but don't get caught. We'll be back." She turned in her chair and began the docking procedures. Once done, she unstrapped herself from the pilot's chair and motioned to Gillian to follow her out.

* * *

The Portmaster's office was rather posh, complete with massive desk, numerous consoles, table, chairs and a couch.

Beka and Gillian came in and he motioned for them to sit down. He walked over and looked at the two if them for a while not saying anything. Gillian used that time to study him as well. He was an older man, probably in his fifties although it was difficult to say in case of a Nietzschean. Somehow her sixth sense told her that he could be trusted. He took a chair and sat down facing them, a bit too close for comfort. After a few uncomfortable minutes he spoke:

"So, Captain Valentine, is it?" He stretched out and ran his hand over Beka?s left arm, pausing where her Helix rested, concealed by the sleeve of her leather jacket. "Or should I say, Captain Anasazi?" Beka remained quiet but her eyes became wide. Gillian shifted, trying to get a grip on her force lance when the Portmaster grabbed her arm.

"Doctor Ratischer, do you think I wouldn?t remember you?" It was Gillian?s turn to go wide-eyed. She swallowed hard and found her voice:

"Alright, what gives?"

"You need not to be afraid of me. I am not Drago-Katzov; I am Tahir Majari of Volsung Pride. I saw the Kodiak but I couldn?t do anything for him without endangering my survival, but I managed to get enough information on where his buyer was headed. I was also able to speak to him, that is how I know about Rebecca. I am sure that Captain Hunt didn?t send just you two on this mission, so you may contact the others and have them come here. I will give you the information then."

Beka looked skeptical: "How do I know you are not setting the trap?"

Tahir smiled: "I will allow Doctor Ratischer to read my mind. She will tell you whether or not I am lying." Looking at totally astonished Gillian he said, "Everyone here knows what you did to Cuchulain, everyone knows why he wanted you and why he couldn?t have you. So, don?t be surprised. Go ahead, look inside, and see for yourself, I honestly want to help you. Kodiak is my blood after all, plus I have another reason."

Gillian took his hands in hers and concentrated for a moment. Letting go and taking a deep breath she turned to Beka: "He is telling the truth. Call Dylan and tell him and the others to come here."

When Dylan, Rommie and Harper joined them in Portmaster?s office their curiosity arose to abnormal levels. Majari ushered them in and secured the doors.

" I am glad that the information I have for you can be put to use and quickly. But before I give it to you, I know that you want to know how I know so much about you. Captain Valentine, as I already explained to you, I learned about you from your mate. Captain Hunt, I know about you because my line stems from Khalid. He knew you were here, so he passed an order through generations of his descendants to assist you in your cause. I will do what little I can to help you save your friend. As for you, Doctor Ratischer, I never forget those who save my life. You have had many patients and may not remember them all, but I do remember you."

Gillian looked at him, trying to remember but failing.

"Doctor, do you recall the Nietzschean freighter that your superintendent brought in seven years ago on Maghira Drift? The ship was attacked by Restors, very few survived and those who did were not far from death?"

"Yes I do. By the Divine, I know you, I remember now!"

"Good. You saved my mate and me. We have named our first daughter Gillian."

Gillian was speechless for a moment ant then she said, "I am honored."

"Without you we wouldn?t have survived. Give my regards to your superintendent, I think Martin was his name?"

Gillian shook her head. "I am afraid it wouldn?t be possible. The drift was swarmed by the Magog three years ago. I had to blow it up myself. I am alive by accident, if I didn?t want to go and visit my father I would have been dead too."

Majari looked solemn: "My sympathy."

Dylan spoke up: "So, Tahir, what can you tell us about Anasazi?"

"He was bought by a mine owner. A vicious man even by Nietzschean standards, keeps buying new slaves because the old ones are dying. He mines sulfur, the conditions are bad, he does not take care of is workers. The mines are heavily guarded, almost like a military compound. I can give you the coordinates of the planetoid he is headed for, but that?s all. I have no way of assisting you in getting in and recovering the Kodiak."

"I am sure we will find the way," Dylan said, "And we thank you for your assistance. I hope it will not endanger you in any way."

"I was glad to help."

O the way out Beka turned and asked Majari: "Tell me, was he in bad shape?"

Tahir smiled: "No, not really. He was bruised and bleeding in several places, but it was all superficial. If it was not he wouldn?t have been bought. No slaver wants to spend money on medical care for his workers."

"Thank you."

* * *

The Maru was orbiting the mining planetoid.

"Dylan, what are we doing? What is the plan?" Beka was pacing the bridge.

"Rommie and Harper are getting into the security system as we speak. As soon as they are done we will have enough information to work with." As soon as he finished speaking Rommie walked in. She brought up a picture on the view screen.

"Ok, this is the schematic of the compound. The main operation is underground, the only possible points of penetration are here and here," she pointed on the blueprint. "The problem is, Tyr needs to know that we are coming so he can make his way on the upper levels and meet us there, otherwise we will not be able to do anything."

Beka looked at Dylan: "It means one of us has to be?"

Dylan nodded. "It means that you have to deliver me there as a slave. Once inside I will find Tyr and we?ll rendezvous with the rest of you when Rommie gives me a signal."

Gillian looked at him, "Dylan, do you realize?"

"I realize that if Harper goes he?ll be dead in minutes. There are no women in this place, and even if there were, I would never let you or Beka go. So it leaves me. Rommie and Beka will deliver me there. Rommie will keep link open through my communicator. As soon as you are able to get in, contact me. I would need some time to find Tyr, but I have an idea how to go about it. Andromeda should be no further then a jump away in case we need her to cover our retreat. Now, I need to look believable, so Rommie, would you do the honors?"

He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. Rommie looked at him and winced, "I am so sorry, Dylan?" She took a swing at him, and then another, leaving two rapidly spreading bruises on his jaw and cheekbone. He shrugged his coat off and ripped the t-shirt, took some grime from the engines and smeared it on his face and arms. Add five days worth of beard and cuffed hands and he really did look the part.

Gillian pulled him into a tight embrace. "I won?t say anything to stop you, just come back alive. Please." She held him tight and kissed him hard, holding his bruised face in her hands.

* * *

Tyr was resting after day?s work in the corner of a pen when he heard a commotion. By the noise he deduced that a new slave was brought in. It could warrant entertainment. Or trouble. What he didn?t expect was to see Dylan. When he plopped on the ground next to Tyr, Anasazi muttered through his teeth:

"I know only one person idiotic enough?"

"Yep, that?s me, Captain Idiot. Ready to go home, Anasazi?"

PART 3

"Dylan, I think what you are doing is beyond idiocy, it is insane." Tyr said quietly not turning his head.

"We are here to take you home, Tyr. How do we get to the upper level of this compound?" Hunt replied in the same manner.

"The upper level consists of detention cells and overseers mess and offices. The only way to get there is to be punished for something."

"Ok, what do we need to do to be punished?"

"We could start a fight?"

"Go for it."

"Dylan, I think you should know?"

"Tyr, we don?t have much time."

"As you wish." Tyr turned to Dylan and growled loudly, shoving him hard: "Get out of my space, Kludge!"

Dylan snarled: "Or what, Uber?"

"Don't make me kill you, human." Tyr's face was a mask of pure disgust. Both men got to their feet and began circling each other. The middle of the pen cleared rather quickly making room for them. The slaves were eager for any entertainment and the fights usually provided the best, first the confrontation itself and then the public punishment for it.

Even though they didn't really want to beat the hell out of each other, the altercation had to look believable. Usually they were an even match, but Tyr was tired and he still did not fully recover form his recent ordeal, so Dylan was winning. When the guards had run in Tyr was on his back and Dylan's hands were around his throat. When Hunt saw the guards he breathed the sigh of relief, he was not sure how long he could pretend to be strangling the Nietzschean. He looked up at the guard in time to see him discharge the stun gun, another aimed the same weapon at Tyr and both men slumped on the ground unconscious.

* * *

Dylan came to bound to the cross-like contraption, facing the beams. A quick look around allowed him to see Tyr in the similar position. Both their shirts were ripped off and Dylan saw that Tyr's back was a bloody and bruised mess. He also realized that the injuries he saw were old, so whatever the guards had planned for them was yet to come. 'Damn!' he cursed himself, he should have known Tyr would be in no condition to endure any more punishment. As to answer to his thoughts, Tyr spoke up:

"Dylan, whatever you have planned had better work. I am not sure I will be able to take much more of this."

"Tyr, I am sorry. You tried to warn me? "

"Don't apologize. I understand you did what you thought was best. Let's just hope your idea works."

As soon as he finished speaking, the Headmaster walked in, accompanied by two guards. Each carried a wire-laced whip.

"I thought I was clear in my warning -- No Fights! I do not tolerate disobedience. Today you will learn your lesson, Kludge. As for you, Kodiak, I am really beginning to think you are mentally deficient. Well, the repetition is a mother of learning, so maybe after today you will understand. Twenty-five lashes each. Begin!"

Dylan heard the whip crack in the air and then it ripped into his back. He bit his lip to stop himself from screaming. He saw Tyr's face contorted with pain, but he, too, remained silent. One? two?ten? fifteen? twenty?twenty-five. He rested his forehead on the wooden beam. Suddenly his head was pulled roughly by the hair:

"I think you didn't get enough, Kludge. I like to hear screams and you were too quiet. I think I have to repeat your lesson. I'll do it myself this time. And if you don't scream for me, I'll do the same to the Kodiak here. As long as you keep silent -- he will be punished. So, you see, whichever way you turn -- you loose. If I don't break you with my whip, he'll finish you off."

He cracked the whip and felt it caught on something. Turning around, he saw a small woman holding the end of the whip:

"I don't think so, Uber. I do not like when people abuse my husband, so I suggest you let him and the Kodiak go. Now."

The guards moved to get her but she raised her hand and they were slammed into the wall by the invisible force. Stunned, they remained there, unmoving, terrified. She yanked the whip from Headmaster's hand and threw it across the room, all the while slowly advancing on him.

"So, you like to torture people? Teach them "lessons"? How about I teach you a lesson, huh?"

The headmaster regained his composure and laughed at her: "You can't do anything to me, you are too small even for a Kludge."

"Oh, really? And the fact that your brave guards are sitting like two potato sacks means nothing to you? Believe me, I can do much more damage to you then just throw you around."

Dylan yelled: "Gillian, what the hell are you doing?"

"Getting you out of here." She turned to the slaver, "I think I spoke in plane Common when I told you to let them go. I guess you are really stupid, Uber."

The Nietzschean roared and moved to grab Gillian, but suddenly his hands flew to his throat and he turned blue. After a few seconds he fell down unconscious. Gillian ran over to Dylan and cut him loose. He swayed but remained standing. When they got to Tyr he was not able to remain upright and slid to the floor. Gillian cringed when she saw what had been done to him. Dylan helped Tyr up and carefully guided him out of the cell. In the corridor he turned to Gillian:

"Where are the others?"

"Harper is on the Maru, he guided me here, Beka and Rommie are holding off the main contingent of guards. Your comm didn't work so I had t go look for you. Luckily for me your "punishment" was on the vid screens all over the compound, so I knew where to go. Alright, we need to get moving. Maru's seismic sensors detected tremors, we have to get out of here and quick."

"Dylan, wait." Tyr's voice was hoarse. "I need to get the kid out of here too."

"What kid?"

"Darren. Red hair, pale skin, boneblades."

"Tyr, it may not be possible."

"The boy saved my life, I can not abandon him here."

"Ok, let's go. Where is he?"

"He runs something akin to infirmary here, it is this way, down the hall."

They moved slowly, watching out for guards and mindful of Tyr's condition. When they got to the makeshift medical, Darren was outside. He saw Tyr and ran over to him:

"What happened to you now?"

"Boy, we have no time. Let's go."

Darren didn't have to be asked twice. He knew the compound better then anyone of them, so he led the way, Dylan and Tyr followed and Gillian brought up the rear. Soon they heard the shooting. Beka's soot-smudged face appeared from behind the curtain of thick smoke:

"Did you get them?"

"Yes, let's go."

The group was on the way out when especially strong tremor shook the ground. The pillars that held the ceiling cracked and the pieces of rock began to fall down. Rommie grabbed Dylan and led him and Tyr out to the surface. Gillian followed closely behind. Suddenly they heard Darren yell. He slipped and started to fall, the stone steps cracked and gave out and he was falling. Tyr twisted out of Dylan's grip and caught Darren's hand and pulled him up. He barely managed to push the boy up and in the clear when a large piece of rock fell and pinned him down. Beka screamed "Nooooo!" and ran over, but there was nothing she could do. Gillian stopped her:

"Beka, get the boy and Dylan to safety. Rommie, I need you here."

Beka complied and guided Dylan and Darren in the direction of the Maru. Gillian said: "Rommie, I am going to lift the rock. As soon as I do, pull him out. Be careful and hurry, I am not sure how long I will be able to hold it."

"Understood."

Gillian closed her eyes and stood still for a moment. The rock gradually began to lift and soon it was high enough for Rommie to pull Tyr out. He screamed when she yanked him free. From what she could see he had multiple bone fractures all over his body. To her amazement he pulled himself up, leaning heavily on her shoulder. He was looking at Gillian and when Rommie followed his gaze she saw that Gillian was down on her knees, blood running from her eyes and nose. She saw them looking and got up, swaying slightly but regaining her balance. The three of them made their way outside and on to the Maru.

* * *

By the time Maru was airborne the earthquake destroyed the compound completely. The slavers ran and the workers were free.

On the Maru Gillian had her hands full. Rommie had informed them that it would take at least an hour to reach the rendezvous point with Andromeda. Tyr was in really bad shape and the only thing Gillian could do for him was to give him something for the pain. Rommie was piloting and Beka went to sit with Tyr. Gillian alerted Trance to get the Medical ready and walked over to Dylan. He gave her his patented "I'll be fine" line but she saw that he was hurting badly. She maid him lay facedown on the bunk and when she was about to start, Darren came to her:

"Doctor, I just wanted to say I am sorry?"

"Please, call me Gillian. And you have nothing to be sorry about. Tyr said you saved his life -- it means a lot to me and to all of us."

"What he didn't tell you was that he had to save me first. One of the guards tried to? " She saw that it was difficult to him to word what he wanted to say and tried to stop him:

"It's ok, you don't have to tell me anything."

"No, I need to. One of them tried to rape me and Tyr almost strangled that bastard. The Headmaster got crazy and whipped him so bad he almost died. The other overseers stopped him because the good strong workers are hard to come by, it was not "cost-effective" for them to kill him. So I was allowed to take care of him. I wouldn't call it "saving life" exactly."

Gillian looked at Darren. This boy had to grow up too soon, much like Tyr did. She could see why he took Darren under his wing.

"So, I take it you were the medic there?"

"I did what I could to help."

"How about giving me a hand with this tough guy?" She motioned her head towards Dylan.

"Sure. What do you need me to do?"

"Do you know how to prepare the dermaseal?"

"Yes."

"Get on it." The boy nodded, almost happily, and Gillian proceeded to clean Dylan's back. She gave him the anesthetic to make the process less painful but she still heard sharp intakes of breath every now and then. Some welts were superficial, and some were

deep gushes that had to be stitched. She called Darren: "Leave that stuff for a moment, I need your help here." He ran over and she gave him a suture kit to hold for her.

Dylan looked up: "Nice of you to make a guinea pig out of me. I am suffering here, you know." Darren looked suddenly nervous but Gillian laughed: "The kid does not know that you are terrified of needles, so don't make him feel guilty for your own benefit. These rips must be stitched or they will keep bleeding and the scarring will be bad. Darren, look, first we have to inject local anesthetic here and here around the area that has to be sutured. After a couple of minutes we should proceed. This time you look, and later on I will let you practice."

Gillian went on with her task, and when she was done Darren applied dermaseal on Dylan's back. Gillian patted his shoulder: "Good job, kid. Now get some rest; I will need your help with my brother. We will be on Andromeda soon."

"Tyr is your brother? But you are human!"

"It's a long story. Someday we'll tell you. Sufficient to say we have adopted each other."

"Ok. Thanks for trusting me."

"No problem. As I said, get some rest." Darren left and she sat down on the bunk next to Dylan. She stroked his hair and he leaned into her touch. She bent down and kissed his temple, he turned to his side and caught her lips with his. Breaking off he whispered:

"Thanks."

"For what?"

"For everything."

"Do something like that again and I swear?"

She didn't finish what she was saying because Dylan interrupted her with another kiss. This time she broke it off: "I'd love to continue, but I have to go check on Tyr and you need to rest. Doctor's orders."

"Aye, Ma'am." She smiled and left him. When she walked over to Tyr she saw that Beka looked worried.

"Is something wrong?"

"He lost consciousness a few minutes ago. I thought he was asleep but when I tried to wake him up I couldn't."

Gillian touched Tyr's face and felt the heat radiating form him. This was not good.

* * *

On the Andromeda Trance and Gillian's father were waiting for them. After taking a moment to see Daniel Gillian hurried to Medical. Beka was there with Tyr and Dylan tried to convince Trance that he was fine and didn't have to stay in Medbay.

"Dylan, you are staying here for at least twenty-four hours." When he started to argue she spoke in the tone that brooked no argument:

"Captain Hunt, besides being your wife I am the Chief Medical Officer of Andromeda Ascendant. You have not yet been cleared for active duty and as long as you are under my care you will remain here unless I see fit otherwise. Am I understood?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Good. Beka, you should get some rest. You will do Tyr no good if you are dead on your feet. Besides, I am sure that you would want to spend some time with Victoria. I will let you know immediately when you can come and see Tyr, ok?" Beka reluctantly agreed and left. Rommie and Harper were on the bridge. Trance said to Gillian:

"With your father and Darren here you have enough help, I think I should stay with the kids." Gillian gave the purple girl a brief hug: "Trance, you read my mind. Beka is too tired and Nanny-bots are not the best substitute for real people. Thank you."

Trance smiled: "Sure, no problem. I'll get Rev to help, the little ones love him!" With that she left the Medical. Jonathan Ratischer turned to his daughter:

"Well, Chief, what can I do?"

"I could really use your help, Dad."

"Sure. Show me the scans." And father and daughter pored over the images and test results. When they decided on the course of treatment Gillian summoned Darren to help them. She felt that the boy needed to do something for Tyr.

Slowly, painstakingly they fused shuttered bones and repaired ripped ligaments. Nanobots were already at work to seal ruptured internal organs and prevent him from bleeding out internally. Despite of the Nietzschean superior immune system and Darren's best efforts, many wounds on Tyr's back got infected, that was the source of his fever. When Gillian began lancing the infected area Tyr jerked and if Jonathan didn't catch his arms he would have seriously hurt Gillian and Darren with his bone blades.

"Easy, easy, you are ok, just give the painkiller a moment to start working," Gillian soothed him, pressing the hypoinjector into his neck. He took a deep breath and relaxed visibly when the medication took effect.

"I? am sorry?" he rasped, but Gillian touched his face gently, "You have nothing to be sorry about."

"I could have hurt you?"

"You didn't and let's leave it at that. I will be more careful, I promise."

Sometime later they finished and Gillian ushered her father and Darren out to get some rest. She knew she wouldn't be able to sleep while Dylan and Tyr were in Medical, so there was no point for all of them to be there.

Tyr's eyes were closed but Gillian knew he was awake. He was still feverish but thankfully not to the point of unconsciousness.

"How are you?"

Tyr looked at Gillian. Pupils dilated from the medication made his eyes almost black. It was somewhat disturbing. He gave her a half-smile, "I could use a bath." She decided that now, when all his open wounds were sealed there would be no harm in it.

"I will call Beka, she can help me bathe you."

"No, don?t! She can't? She shouldn't?" He became agitated and tried to sit up in bed. Gillian pushed him down gently, "I won't ask her to come here if you don't want me to, ok? I could ask Darren to give me a hand."

"No, please, no one. Could you do it? Or rather I do it myself."

"You can't, there is no way I am letting you up yet. I'll do it."

"I am sorry, it?s just -- I don?t think I can tolerate anyone touch me. That?s why I reacted like I did when I came to and felt someone ? doing something to me. It took all the self-control I have not to fight you."

Gillian sat down next to his bed and took his hand. "Tyr, what happened to you?"

He tried to turn away: "I can?t talk about it."

"Please, love, I need to know what happened to be able to help you."

He sighed deeply and kept silent for a moment, then spoke, "Can you do that thing you do? Read my mind? I honestly don?t think I can talk about it now."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Do it."

Gillian moved closer and placed both her hands on his temples, moving her thumbs lightly over his eyebrows in soothing rhythmic motion. "Relax. Close your eyes and take deep breaths. That?s it, just like that." She had the same dizzying feeling she experienced when she entered Dylan?s mind, but this time she was able to control her actions. But when she saw what Tyr wanted her to see she was terrified. She came out gasping for air, tears streaming down her face. Gillian couldn?t say anything for a while, so she just hugged her brother and held him close, stroking his hair lightly. When she was able to speak again she said:

"You will be fine, I promise. I know what you are feeling now; I have gone through the same thing myself. But Tyr, please, you must talk to Beka. Trust her to trust you, trust her not to judge you. She loves you. She needs to know what happened."

Tyr moved out of her embrace and took her face in his hands: "Thank you."

"Hey, anything for my brother."

"I?ll call Beka now."

"Wait. I really need to wash up, I hate myself now."

Gillian smiled: "Ever the perfectionist. Ok, let?s get you cleaned up."

* * *

An hour later Beka walked into the Medical. Her emotions were in turmoil. She was mad at Tyr for not trusting her, for not wanting her help, for getting hurt, and at the same time she was deliriously happy that he was alive. So she opted not to say anything, she just hugged him and buried her face in the crook of his neck. Tyr held her tight, not wanting to ever let go. Eventually though he shifted their position and looked at her face. He saw everything in her eyes ? sadness and happiness, anger and joy, hurt and relief. Finding his voice he said:

"Rebecca, I am so sorry for putting you through hell. I should have been honest with you from the beginning, but I wanted to protect you. When I realized the people I was looking for were Guderian, Freya and Dimitri, I didn?t want you involved with them."

"Tyr, I don?t care any more. You are alive, that?s all that matter for me right now. Yes, I am mad at you that you didn?t tell me what you planned to do and just took off in the middle of the night. I am upset that you got hurt so bad and that Dylan got hurt helping you, but I have you back. We have you back."

Tyr?s face darkened: "You may not want me when you know everything."

"What are you talking about?"

"Rebecca, all the time that Freya and Guderian held me prisoner she ? she took advantage of me."

Beka looked at Tyr in shock when she realized the meaning of his words. When she regained her ability to speak she said: "How? How was it possible? Did you want to ? to do it with her?"

"No, of course not! Rebecca, I want only you, you know that."

Beka took his hand and pressed it to her cheek. "Tell me what happened, Tyr."

"When I went looking for them on the Calcutta I was hit by a tranquilizer dart. I regained consciousness on the Black Whale, bound to the bulkhead in the brig. That bitch knew my strength and in addition to the chains she put inertia restraints on me. Her original plan was to deliver me to Cuchulain and get the bounty. When she learned that he was dead and no one was going to pay her she went berserk. After a few days she went from plain beatings to elaborate torture and ? The way she put it, she would get at least something out of me. I controlled myself as long as I could, but then she started forcing psychotropic drugs on me and I really wouldn?t have known what had happened, but she made sure to mark me. I think she even made a video recording of what she was doing. Finally Guderian got tired of it and decided to sell me to the mines."

Beka looked at Tyr silently for a moment and then hugged him fiercely.

"I love you, no matter what, I love you, Tyr. It was a horrible nightmare and now it is over. I have you back and I would be damned if I ever let you go, do you hear me? Do you hear me, Anasazi? I will kill this bitch with my bare hands for what she did to you."

He held her for a moment and then sighed deeply. "Rebecca, there is something else."

"What is it, Tyr, tell me."

"Freya had my child. I have a son by her."

***

CONTINUES