Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Character:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 6 of Short fics in the Watson universe
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
426
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,545

Charlie's Turn

Summary:

Characters: Charlie, Colby, Nena
Rating: G, FRK
Summary: It's Charlie's turn to watch Nena.
Disclaimer: Not my characters, not my world, making no money.
Feedback: Yes, please! Feed the author!
A/N: Thanks to my betas.
Submitted through http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SlashByTheNumb3rs_2

Work Text:

Charlie's Turn
by IrenaAdler

Charlie hummed happily as the numbers flew from his chalk, scattering like wildflower seeds to sprout in unexpected fields. Ooh, that's an interesting direction. Charlie moved to a fresh chalkboard and chased that fluttering wildflower seed into the garden of one-dimensional abelian varieties.

Distantly, he heard the door to the garage open. "Charlie …" Colby said and Charlie winced. Somehow everyone he knew, even his boyfriend, could say his name in that exact same long-suffering tone.

Charlie looked up guiltily from his chalkboard to see what he'd done this time. He did a quick glance around the garage – nothing was on fire or under water and Nena was sleeping peacefully in his popasan chair. He'd even put a blanket over her.

He turned to Colby and said brightly, "Hi!"

"Charlie," Colby said in that same overly-patient way. "It was your turn to watch Nena tonight."

"I did!" Charlie said, pointing at Nena. "We played air hockey earlier, then she got tired."

"Of course, she got tired," Colby said. "It's after midnight!"

Charlie blinked at him. "It can't be."

Mutely, Colby pointed to a clock right above Charlie's chalkboard, which clearly said quarter after twelve.

Charlie grimaced. "Well, she just fell asleep out here instead of in bed. That's not too bad, right?"

"Did she brush her teeth?"

"Um, doubtful."

"Change into her pajamas?"

"Well, no."

Colby eyed him. "What about dinner?"

"Uh," Charlie thought frantically. "I'm sure we ate supper …"

"What did you eat?"

Charlie's face cleared and he smiled. "I don't remember, but I distinctly remember Nena asking if she could have ice cream for dessert. We shared a bowl and talked about triangles."

Colby groaned. "Something makes me think that's all you two had for supper."

Charlie had a sinking feeling that Colby was right. "Ice cream has lots of nutrients," he said defensively.

Colby shook his head slowly. "She totally took advantage of you."

Shrugging in embarrassment, Charlie said, "Sorry …"

Colby sighed. "It's okay. Next time I'll set a timer to remind you to get supper and another to remind you to get her to bed."

"Thanks," Charlie said humbly.

Colby shook his head again and gathered Nena into his arms. She grumbled in her sleep then settled down. Colby walked to the door and said, "Come to bed sometime, okay?"

Charlie nodded. Colby backed out of the door with Nena and Charlie shut it behind them. His current chalkboard caught his eye and he turned back to it. I'll just finish this one equation.

end

Series this work belongs to: