Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 3 of Short fics in the Watson universe
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
306
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,229

Hanukkah

Summary:

Characters: Colby/Charlie, Don/Will, Alan, Nena
Rating: G
Summary: The Eppes start a new holiday tradition.
Disclaimer: Not my characters, not my world, making no money.
Feedback: Yes, please! Feed the author!
Spoilers: Refers to S3 episode, "Provenance."
A/N: This is one of several pieces that I wrote a while ago, but needed to wait to post until after I finished "A Family Found."
Submitted through http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SlashByTheNumb3rs_2

Work Text:

 

 

Hanukkah
by IrenaAdler

"This doesn't make you uncomfortable?" Charlie asked again.

"No, Charlie," Colby repeated, and exchanged a look of exasperation with Don.

Charlie nodded, like every other time Colby had reassured him that he was happy to participate in the Eppes family's Hanukkah.

The rituals were also unfamiliar to the Eppes family. Since Don had met Erika Hellman, he'd been talking more about religion and family traditions. So, Alan had dug his mother's Menorah out of the basement and Charlie had calculated when the first star would appear in the night sky.

Now the three Eppes, Colby, Nena and Will were gathered around the Menorah in the front window, holding the words to blessings in both English and phonetic Hebrew. Don had added the lyrics for a hymn they were going to attempt after lighting the candles. The dining room table was heavy with cheeses, wine, applesauce and four kinds of latkes.

Colby watched Don's gaze sweep over the room, comparing the preparations with the image in his mind. Charlie and Alan stood next to Don, and it was moments like these that the family resemblance showed the strongest. Three similar but distinctive men, each brilliant in their own ways.

Colby wished he had met Margaret. He probably would have liked her as much as he did Alan. Besides, she'd understood Charlie and Colby would have loved to be able to consult her whenever Charlie turned unfathomable.

For a moment, Colby felt Margaret's presence in a way he couldn't explain. She was happy, smiling on her sons and the new families they had formed, giving her blessing on their ritual.

Colby smiled himself, feeling at home in a way he hadn't since he was a child. He held up his paper, cleared his throat, and prepared to start a new family tradition.

end

Series this work belongs to: