Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
4,594
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
25
Hits:
1,268

Good Intentions

Summary:

Rating: PG
Pairing: N/A
Archive: Yes
Summary: Sat after the end of it's how you play the game, Johnny Gage learns the consequences of making the bet with 36's.
Content Warning: Some rough language.
Copyright: November 2000 By Robin R. Neher
THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT. THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.
Submitted through http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Makebelieve_YG

Work Text:

 

 

Good Intentions
by Robin R. Neher

 

Johnny Gage sighed as he drank his coffee at the nurse's station in Rampart's ER. He'd really done it this time. Two days earlier, station fifty-one lost a baseball game against station thirty-six at the annual fireman's picnic. Now as a result,A-Shift had to pay for the picnic, thanks to a bet made by John without the knowledge of the other guys.

Now, two days later, the guys still weren't speaking to Johnny and Roy refused to let him ride in the squad. When toned out, Johnny was banished to the hose bed of the engine and had to stand there and watch while the others worked.

"Good intentions got you in trouble, huh, John?" Dixie McCall smiled as she resumed her place behind the desk.

"Dix, why are the guys so mad at me?" Johnny sighed. "How did I know we were gonna lose the game?"

"John, you still don't get it, do you?" Dix replied. "Johnny, you caused those guys a huge financial loss! Nine dollars may not mean much to you, but to a guy like Roy or Cap, who have families, nine dollars is everything! Think about how humiliated Chet Kelly must feel now!"

"Dix, I was only trying to make the game interesting! Give them something to play for!" Johnny argued. "I thought Chet had potential!"

"Just because he could throw an apple in a wastebasket?" Dix asked. "Johnny, that doesn't make a good pitcher! It takes months and months of practice to become good! Johnny, you had no right to make that bet at all and you had no right to force Chet to pitch!"

"I gotta make it up to them somehow." Johnny agreed. "I've got some vacation time coming up."

"So?" Dix prompted.

"I was gonna go see my Mom in Montana, but I'll stay here and work another job until the picnic is paid for and the guys are paid back. I owe them that much." Johnny replied. "Me and my good intentions."

Roy walked up to the desk then.

"Out of my way, stupid!" Roy snapped at Johnny.

"Roy!" Dixie yelled.

"No, Dix, it's okay. Roy's right. I was stupid to make that bet. I deserve everything I get." Johnny said, hanging his head. "I'll see you back at the station, DeSoto."

With that, Johnny walked out of the ER and caught a cab back to the station.

______________________________________

When Johnny got back at the station, he made his way into the kitchen for coffee as the other guys worked at the kitchen table.

"Hi, Guys." Johnny said.

"Cap, did you hear something?" Chet Kelly asked.

"Sounded like a little mouse squeaking." Hank Stanley answered. "It has the annoying voice of John Gage."

"John Gage?" Mike Stoker added. "The guy who cost us nine dollars each and the cost of the picnic?"

"The guy who humiliated me in front of the whole department?" Chet taunted.

"Guys, I'll pay it back!" Johnny whined.

"Sounds like the mouse is whining." Marco Lopez teased. "Being a baby!"

Johnny turned a stormed out to the parking lot where he sat on the hood of his Land Rover. He then filled out a request for transfer form that he'd gotten from headquarters earlier.

"Gage, what are you doing?" Roy demanded.

"DeSoto, I'm putting in for transfer." Johnny stated, flatly.

"That might be best." Roy agreed. "You've caused enough trouble here!"

"Roy, how could I have known we'd lose?" Johnny pleaded. "I made a mistake I know that! I'll pay you all back!"

"Johnny, it's not the money we're mad about! It's the fact that you made that bet without even asking us! Johnny, you're always doing that! You're always doing things like that to us! Don't our feelings, our opinions count? Gage, you are not a team player! You just made that bet for the good of John Gage! As long as John Gage wins, nobody else matters!"

"Roy, I was trying to help make things more interesting!" Johnny sobbed.

"Oh, another dose of Johnny's good intentions?" Roy sneered. "It was supposed to be a friendly game!"

"It was!" Johnny argued.

"No, Gage! Not after you made that bet! Johnny, there are two station's A-shifts who now hate each other, thanks to your good intentions! Johnny, I can't work with a selfish partner, I'm sorry."

"So am I." Johnny whispered. "I'll be gone after this shift."

"No, I'll go get your stuff. The sooner you're gone, the better." Roy stated.

"No, Roy, leave my stuff at Rampart. I'll just leave now." John replied, getting into his Land Rover and driving away under Roy's glare.

Roy then made his way back inside the station and cleaned out Johnny's locker, putting the stuff into a large box as Cap joined him.

"Johnny's putting in for a transfer." Roy told his superior.

"Good." Cap smiled.

_______________________________________

The next day, Johnny went to headquarters to turn in his transfer request to the Chief. As he was leaving, Captain Bob Robertson approached him.

"Gage, was that a transfer request I just saw you put in the Chief's in box?" Bob asked.

"Yeah, Cap." Johnny quickly answered. "Things are no longer working for me at 51's."

"I can't say I'm suprised." The older man smiled. "Gage, I heard about that bet you made. How could you have done something so damn stupid? Gage, do you have anything between your ears?"

Johnny bit his tongue as Robertson glared at him.

"Gage, you're coming to work at my station." Bob told him. "It's a two man station in Topanga Canyon."

Johnny just walked out the door without saying anything.

________________________________

After leaving headquarters, Johnny made his way to his apartment. Once the door was shut, Johnny opened the morning paper, flipping it to the classifieds. Johnny was determined to pay his ex-stationmates back, even if it killed him. He knew that he himself should pay 36's, since he'd made the bet without the consent of the other guys. Johnny put down the paper and picked up the phone. Johnny shook as he dialed station thirty-six.

As he waited for someone to answer, Johnny rehearsed what he was gonna say. Someone answered on the third ring.

"Station 36, Fireman Thomas." The man said.

"Norman? It's John Gage." Johnny stammered. "Let me speak to Captain Michaels."

Johnny heard Norm yell for his Captain, the footsteps approaching the phone.

"Captain Michaels." 36's Captain answered, gruffly.

"Cap? John Gage. I'm calling about the bet." Johnny began. "I'm going to pay it myself since I'm the one that got the guys at 51's in this mess."

"How very mature of you, Gage." Captain Matt Michaels replied. "When will we see the money?"

"I've got vacation time coming. What if I agree to consecutive shifts at your station? I'm transferring out of 51's anyway." Johnny replied. "Any pay I earn will go to pay you guys."

"Those guys at 51's are still mad?" Cap Michaels asked.

"Yeah, not that I blame them." Johnny replied. "I had no right to make that bet without their okay."

"Johnny, I'll have to discuss it with the rest of the guys. I'll call you back in say, fifteen minutes?" Cap Michaels.asked.

"Fine." Johnny agreed. "No funny business."

"Johnny, we'd never try anything funny. You have my word!" Matt swore. "We just want our money!"

"Fine. I expect to hear from you in fifteen minutes." Johnny said, then hung up.

____________________________

At station thirty-six, Cap too hung up and turned to his men.

"Gage says he's willing to work consecutive shifts with us." Michaels said. "I'm telling you guys, no funny business while he's here!"

"Com'n, Cap! Why can't we have some fun with Gage? He's got it coming!" Protested Paramedic Scott Dixon.

___________________________

Fifteen minutes later, the phone in Johnny Gage's apartment rang.

"Hello?" Johnny said, into the receiver.

"John? Matt Michaels here. I'm turning down your offer." Thirty-six's Captain said. "Why don't you get a job outside the department?"

"I understand, Cap." Johnny sighed. "I gotta be a man and face the music."

With that, Johnny hung up. He then went back to the classifieds. He spent the rest of the day calling the numbers of people who had jobs open.

_________________________________

The next day found Johnny Gage at a mansion in Beverly Hills, answering a help wanted ad.

"I'm here about the job." Johnny told the butler who answered the door.

"This way, Sir." The butler directed, leading Johnny into the house. "Your name, please?"

"John Gage." Johnny grinned.

"Have you any experience with dogs?" The butler asked.

"A little." Johnny nodded.

"You'll be caring for Mrs. Peak's dogs if you're hired." The butler told Johnny. "You will also have to get a hair cut."

"Yes, Sir." Johnny nodded as a lady came downstairs.

"Ma'am, this is Mr. John Gage. He's here about the nanny job." The butler told Mrs. Elizabeth Peak.

Nanny? Johnny thought, his brown eyes wide.

"Something wrong, Mr. Gage?" Mrs. Peak asked.

"Uh, no, Ma'am." Johnny stammered, trying not to betray his shock at finding out what the job was. "How many children do you have?"

"I have three, Sammy, Candy and Cyrus, my dogs." Mrs. Peak smiled. "Babies, come here! Meet your new nanny!"

Johnny almost fainted when three Rottwielliers and running out and immediately jumped on him and started licking his face.

"There now! You all will get along swimmingly!" Mrs. Peak grinned, clapping her hands. "You're hired!"

I've really done it this time! ROOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYY!!! Johnny's mind called out.

_______________________

The next morning, a happy Roy arrived at station fifty-one, looking forward to two weeks without Johnny.

"Morning, Pal." Hank smiled. "You seem chipper this morning."

"Cap, two whole weeks without Johnny!" Roy smiled. "All the guys need this."

"We sure do." Hank agreed. "Gage has been making us all crazy! I just feel like treating that dummy like one of my kids and smacking his ass til it's red! What gets into that boy sometimes, I'll never know!"

"Hank, Johnny's not dumb, he's just a kid at heart." Roy laughed.

"Yeah, a kid that needs to grow up!" Chester Kelly agreed, walking into the lockeroom. "He's done some stupid things before, but this takes the cake!"

"Yeah," Marco Lopez agreed as he changed into uniform. "How could he be so irresponsible? So selfish?"

"Guys, Johnny didn't make that bet for selfish reasons!" Charlie Dwyer said, as he buttoned his shirt, then pinned on his badge and nametag. "He always has the station's best interests at heart. He meant well."

"Sure," Engineer Mike Stoker agreed. "Johnny just doesn't know when to stop."

"How do you mean?" Cap inquired.

"Roy, your partner has a tendency to go overboard." Mike elaborated. "He just gets so excited and so wants to help, that he doesn't stop to consider the consequences. He's like a little boy. He just keeps going and going til he hits a brick wall or pisses somebody off."

"Johnny's put in for transfer." Hank told his men. "The Chief called a few minutes ago."

"And? Did the Chief approve it?" Roy asked.

"No." Cap replied. "I think we need to figure out new ways to deal with John. We're stuck with him, guys."

The rest groaned at this news..

"Guys, be fair!" Cap pleaded. "We just can't toss him out like trash!"

"Cap, we have to pay for that picnic because of Gage!" Chet whined. "He cost us alot of money! I'm not sure I want him back with us!"

"Neither do I!" Marco agreed.

"How do you feel, Mike?" Cap asked.

"Cap, I don't care. I think Gage is a great guy to work with, but I'm not fond of the man." Mike told his Captain. "Johnny is an overgrown little boy with an inferiority complex."

"In English!" Cap insisted.

"Johnny looks at himself as worthless and useless. As a result, he overcompensates by behaving the way he does." Mike elaborated. "I hold a psych degree."

"Take that incident with Wheeler and the press." Dwyer cut in. "Johnny saw all the attention that Wheeler was getting for simple rescues and felt inferior and jealous."

"I do think Johnny is insecure." Roy agreed. "I think he joined the department because he thought he'd be a hero. He probably thought being a fireman was like he saw on TV."

"Damn those shows!" Cap muttered. "I wish they'd portray our job realistically! Our job isn't action, action, action! Our calls aren't always emergencies!"

"Cap, action sells." Chet grinned. "Action is what viewers want."

_________________________

At Mrs. Peak's, Johnny had just walked his charges.

"Well done, John." A satisfied Mrs. Peak nodded. "Please, come join me."

Johnny joined the distinguished lady in the parlor and sat down opposite her on a love seat.

"Tea?" Mrs. Peak offered. "Finger sandwich?"

"Thank you." Johnny nodded, taking a sandwich from the silver tray in front of him.

"One lump or two?" The older lady asked.

"One, and please call me Johnny." Johnny smiled.

"First of all, your name is John, not Johnny. John is your Christian name, so that's the name you should go by. If your parents wanted to name you Johnny, they would've put that name on your birth certificate." Mrs. Peak told the young man. "You are a young man, not a child. Your name should reflect that."

"Yes, Ma'am." Johnny replied.

"Excellent. You addressed me as Ma'am, as any proper gentleman should address a lady." Mrs. Peak smiled. "Another thing. We never talk with our mouth full when we eat and we never scarf food. That can lead to choking."

"I know. I'm a Paramedic with the county." Johnny replied, showing Mrs. Peak his badge.

"Young man, It would be better if you called yourself a firefighter with the Los Angeles County Fire department. Most people think of an ambulance attendant when they think of a medic. Not someone on a rescue squad. Also, You should never leer at a lady. Young man, this is the seventies and we women are demanding respect. You should try to be more like Roy."

"You know Roy?" John gasped.

_______________

Back at the station, Cap Stanley was pacing in his office. He was torn between the guy's feelings about Johnny and the Chief's orders.

I can't have a man in this station who the other guys hate. Hank thought. Those men out there have right to be mad at Gage. He caused them and me to lose alot of money. Gage and his big mouth! I know what I have to do.

Hank put on his dress jacket and hat, then went to find Mike. Hank found him in the kitchen, pouring a glass of milk for himself.

"Stoker, I'm going to headquarters, station business." Cap told him.

"Okay, Cap." Mike nodded. "I'll put the engine on stand down til you get back."

Hank nodded, then left the station.

________________________

At headquarters minutes later, Hank was having coffee with Chief McConnikee.

"Hank, what can I do for you?" The Chief asked.

"Chief, it's about John Gage." Hank began. "My other guys are still mad at him. "Some of them have stated they don't want Johnny back."

"They don't want him back?" McConnikee repeated. "There's no place else to send the lad!"

"Chief, I can't take Johnny back if the others won't have him." Hank stated.

"I know, Hank." The Chief nodded. "I guess I can assign him here."

"As what?" Cap inquired. "Johnny's a Firefighter/Paramedic."

"I know. There's an opening for a Paramedic instructor. I think he'd be perfect for it." The Chief mused.

"He's on vacation for two weeks." Hank told his boss.

"You get him off vacation." The Chief ordered. "I need him here, now!"

"Yes, Sir." Hank replied. "He's in Montana, visiting his mother."

"Find him, whatever it takes." McConnikee told Cap.

_______________________

Upon arriving back at the station an hour later, Mike met Hank in the bay.

"Cap, Johnny's waiting in your office." Mike told him.

Hank rushed into his office and found Johnny, sitting in a chair waiting for him. Hank looked at the young man and saw he was crying.

"John? I thought you would be in Montana," Hank said.

"No, Cap, I've been here, trying to pay the guys back and the cost of the picnic." Johnny sobbed, clearly ashamed of what he'd done. "I had no right making that bet without asking you guys first. I'm sorry if I hurt any of you."

"John, I know you meant well." Hank soothed. "You had our best interests at heart. You just need to learn that you can't just decide to do something in our behalf without asking us. Johnny, you try too hard to be something you aren't and to make an impression. Just be Johnny and people will love you for you."

"Cap, I just want people to like me!" Johnny sobbed. "I never mean to hurt anyone!"

"Johnny, your problem is in an effort to be accepted, you overcompensate in the other direction, to the point of turning people off. Take Sue, for example." Cap said. "Even I could tell she had no interest in you. Johnny, why do you take it so hard when anyone says no? Why does that hurt you so?"

"Can you tell us why, Junior?" Roy asked as he entered the office. "What can we do to help make you feel more secure? I think you've never been happy with who you are inside. You feel so inadequate that you put on an act for all to see. You're never happy unless you're the center of attention."

Johnny hung his head and sobbed even harder.

"Johnny, tell us what's wrong so we can help." Roy encouraged, gathering the young man in his arms. "What hurts inside? What are you lacking that makes you this way?"

"Roy, everything and everyone I touch, I hurt!" Johnny sobbed. "I shouldn't be allowed to be a Paramedic! I just wanna help, but I hinder instead!"

"Johnny, what do you mean?" Cap asked. "You saved many lives!"

"When I'm not in the hospital!" Johnny sobbed. "Most of my injuries are my doing! My fault! I'm just one broken bone after another!"

"Johnny, our job is risky." Roy told him.

"But I have way more injuries then you guys!" Johnny argued. "Almost every rescue, I end up in Rampart! They might as well give me my own room! I'm a liability to those guys out there!"

"Johnny, you're not thinking of resigning, are you?" A fearful Cap asked.

"Cap, maybe I don't belong in the fire service! I'm not cut out to have the lives of others in my hands when I can't keep myself out of trouble!" Johnny sobbed.

"Johnny, you're just young. When we're young, we're impulsive and irresponsible. It's very normal." Roy soothed. "Sometimes your impulses get the better of you. You're a great Paramedic with alot to learn about life."

"Really?" Johnny sniffed.

"Yeah, Pal." Cap smiled. "You just need to slow down and think before you do something. You're a very smart man who in some ways, has not come out of high school."

"Johnny, why don't you go out with Joanne and me one night this week? I think you are inexperienced with socializing and need to work on your people skills. Socializing isn't just about just being together, it's about building a relationship and making a good impression. The first impression can be a lasting one." Roy said.

"Roy, why don't we out a video camera here in the station?" Cap suggested. "If Johnny can see himself through our eyes, it might help him change his behavior."

"It just might." Roy agreed. "Johnny, will you come back to work here?"

"Do the guys want me?" Johnny worried.

"I have to be honest and say alot of them don't." Cap warned. "The others are still angry."

"I can't blame them." John shook his head. "It'll take awhile to earn their forgiveness."

"It will, but if you face them, they'll let you back in." Roy told him.

"How can I face them after what I did?" Johnny asked. "I spent their money without asking! The Chief offered me a Paramedic Instructor job at headquarters. I'm gonna take it."

"Johnny, are you sure?" Cap asked.

"Cap, I think my problem may be that I've become a snob. Maybe by being off the squad for awhile, I'll come back down to earth. Maybe by leading tours and doing classes, I'll learn about myself and who I am."

"I quite agree." Chief McConnikee said, joining them in the office. "Gage, You'll also be helping with press relations."

"Yes, Sir." Johnny replied. "When does my first class begin?"

"Eight tomorrow morning." The Chief replied.

"I'll be there." Johnny agreed.

_____________________

Early the next morning, Johnny reported to headquarters. The Chief met him.

"Morning, Gage." The Chief smiled.

"Morning, Sir!" Johnny barked.

"Glad to see the hair cut." The Chief nodded. "Have you made your lesson plan?"

"Yes, Sir." Johnny replied, handing the Chief his syllabus. "I thought that besides just talking about the medics, I will tell these newbies of my experiences as well."

"Good." McConnikee nodded. "Your class is waiting in room three."

Johnny went to room three where the medic trainees were waiting and talking.

"Okay, quiet down!" Johnny ordered. "Let's get started."

Once the class was quiet, Johnny began.

"You guys thinks you'll make good Paramedics, huh?" Johnny asked. "Over the next five weeks, we shall see! Who can tell me what a Paramedic is?"

Some of the class raised their hands.

"You, tall guy in the front!" Johnny called, pointing to one that didn't raise his hand. "Define a Paramedic!"

"Well, a Paramedic is someone who is trained to do in the field what doctors do in the hospital." Fireman Rudolph Harper guessed.

"What's your name?" Johnny demanded.

"Rudolph Harper, Sir!" The young man replied.

"Harper, how long have you been in the department?" Johnny asked.

"One year, Sir." Rudolph replied. "I'm with station 112."

"Harper, you might as well go back to 112's." Johnny told the fireman. "The rest of you can tell by the answer Harper gave that I would not recommend him to be a paramedic! You see, class, any good medic must have the ability to be authoritative and sound like they know what they're doing! Harper is too shy to be a medic. If he went through the training, he'd quit within his first year!"

"No, Sir!" Harper argued, angrily rising out of his chair. "I have what it takes to stay a medic!"

"Do you?" Johnny challenged, standing nose to nose with Harper. "Okay, say your company is toned out to a structure fire. You and your partner arrive on the scene to find several injured patients. As you start to treat them, your captain Comes over and orders you to help in the firefighting efforts. What would you do?"

"I would follow the Captain's orders." Harper answered.

"Wrong!" Johnny sneered. "Your first priority at any scene is always the patients! The only time that changes is when there is another squad there to take over care or if the victim is not critical! Sit down!"

Harper did so as Johnny returned to the front of the room.

"I want you all to write me an essay on why you want to be a Paramedic." Johnny instructed. "I'll grade them at the end of class. Rudolph Harper got up to leave.

"Harper." Johnny called. "What I said nothing against you. I hope you know that. It's just that I feel you need to gain more experience as a firefighter first. Hone those skills."

"But I meet the criteria for this training." Harper argued.

"But that doesn't mean you should necessarily be a medic." Johnny soothed. "It takes a one of a kind person to be a paramedic."

Harper hung his head and left the classroom. Johnny turned to his other students.

_____________________________

Outside the classroom, Harper met Chief McConnikee.

"Washed out, huh, Son?" The Chief asked.

"Yes, Sir." Harper sobbed. "Gage said I should gain more experience as a fireman."

"Harper, Gage is right." McConnikee told him. "Let's you and I take a walk."

_____________________________

At Rampart, Roy was getting supplies for the squad,

"I heard about John." Dix said as she look at the form Roy had handed her.

"It was his decision." Roy shrugged.

"Was it?" Dix asked. "Or did you guys push him into it?"

"Dix, Johnny is the one that decided to transfer!" Roy defended himself.

"Only because you men held a grudge!" Dixie told Roy. "Roy, Johnny will pay you all back."

"Dix, that's not what were mad at." Roy told her. "We're mad cause Johnny made the bet without asking! He also forced Chet to pitch!"

"Roy, Johnny is a young man who gets a thrill out of doing stuff like that! For him, doing stuff like that is a rush! Johnny got so caught up in the excitement of the picnic that he wasn't thinking clearly when he made that bet." Dix soothed. "What Johnny did was wrong, but that should not cost him his friends."

"Dix, Johnny is always doing stuff like that." Roy sighed. "We never know what he's going to volunteer us for next."

"It's true that John has alot of energy, but that's just Johnny. Roy, you take your son to Indian Guides, right?" Dix asked.

"Every Monday, why?" Roy replied.

"Roy, have you ever thought of involving Johnny in that to help with the kids or be a troop leader?" Dix inquired.

"What are ya getting at, Dix?" Roy wondered.

"Roy, someone like Johnny gets bored easily and gets themselves in trouble." Dix replied. "Roy, if Johnny is kept busy, he wouldn't get you guys in trouble."

"I see what you mean." Roy mused. "What if I got he and I assigned to special duty now and then?"

"Good idea. Johnny needs to experience all aspects of the department, not just the Paramedics." Dix agreed. "Help him to get involved in community projects. Give him positive outlets for his energy. Find him something that will challenge him constantly."

"I think I have just the thing." Roy smiled, wickedly, reaching for the phone and dialing headquarters. "He can make up for what he did too."

______________________________

Miutes later, Johnny arrived at Rampart.

"Roy? The Chief said you and I were to get a special assignment. What's up?" Johnny asked.

 

 

END PART 11