Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
4,257
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
884

Surprise Proposal - Revised

Summary:

Website: None
PTA: Yes Please
Fandoms: The Sentinel
Parings: Jim/Blair
Rating: FRT13
Summary: Jim wants to ask his guide a question, can he pull it off?
Warnings: None
Notes: The original printed story had the roles reversed, I wrote the story this way and like it much better. So here is the way the story was originally written. Hope you like it.
Acknowledgments: All mistakes are mine.
Submitted through the SenseXangstRevisited mailing list.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Surprise Proposal - Revised
by Peggy R

Jim walked into the Major Crimes bullpen of the Cascade Police Department rather quickly, looking around for Simon, "Hey Rafe, you seen Simon?"

"Yeah, he and Blair have a perp down in interrogation room 3. Why?" Rafe asked, wondering what was so important.

"Shit, I don't want Blair around when I talk to Simon. Hey, do you think you could get him to go to lunch with you or something?" Jim asked. "I'll pay. All you have do is get him to go."

"Um, yeah. Ok, Jim, what's goin on?"

"I need Simon's help, setting something up. Actually I need everyone's help."

"Yeah, Ellison. You need help alright." Rafe commented, snickering.

"Smartass. Look, I can see them coming. Get Blair to go with you and I'll talk to Simon. I'll explain everything to you later." Jim responded.

"Yeah, you better. You're gonna owe me big for this."

Simon and Blair entered the bullpen talking back and fourth about the perp they had just questioned.

"Ya know Simon, I really don't think he did it."

"Yeah, well. When he's caught with several pieces of the stolen jewelry in his apartment, I think that says guilty."

"Well, maybe..."

"Hey Blair, how about we do lunch?" Rafe cut into the conversation.

"Rafe... you askin me out? I don't think Jim would like that too well." he finished, chuckling, as he looked over at his lover.

"Hey, Chief. If you want to go get something to eat with Rafe, that's fine. Bring me back something, I've got some things I have to catch up on and give to Simon before we go home today."

"Um... ok Jim. Hey, I know this great new place. It's just a couple of blocks from here," Blair stated excitedly.

'Oh great, I'm gonna have to eat healthy food', Rafe thought to himself throwing an 'I'm gonna get you for this' look at Jim. "Right. Well, let's get going."

Simon stood there, feeling like he was invisible. 'What did I just miss?' he said to himself as he walked on to his office.

Jim watched as Blair and Rafe entered the elevator, after the doors closed, he walked over to Simon's office and knocked on the door.

"Enter," Came the gruff reply.

"Hey, Simon. I need to ask you a favor."

"And that favor would be?"

"I want to propose to Blair on Valentines Day, seeing as how the ban has been lifted on gay marriage's. I want to marry him so bad, it hurts sometimes."

"Congrat's, but, how can I help?"

"Well, I want Blair to think I've been called out of town for Valentine's Day. What I've got planned is gonna take me the entire day before to set it up. I've already ordered our rings, but I can't pick them up until the 13th. I've rented a hall for a party, I'm gonna have it set up as a new resturant."

"Jim, breath." Simon chuckled.

"Sorry, Simon. I'm just... really excited. I've got a song all planned to sing to him..."

"You, sing?!" Simon questioned, shocked.

"Hey, I have a pretty good voice, I'll have you know."

"Ok, Jim. What're the rest of the plans? What do you want us to do?"

"I need you guys to keep him occupied, then bring him to the hall for lunch on Valentine's Day. What ever it takes get him there, ok?"

"Ok, Jim. Even if we have to hogtie him, we'll get him there. Now, do you think we could get some work done today, detective?"

"Sure, thanks Simon." Jim said as he left Simon's office closing the door.

By the time Blair and Rafe had returned from lunch, Jim had talked to H, Joel and Connor about his plans and asked if they would explain things to Rafe.

"Hey, Big Guy. I brought you some lunch," Blair said as he walked over to Jim's desk and placed a paper bag in front of his partner. "Did you get your paperwork done?"

"Hey, Chief. Yeah, I did. What's in the bag?" Jim asked as he reached for it, looking up and giving a quick wink to his lover, making him blush.

"Uh... I brought you a salad from that new place that Rafe and I went to."

Blair always seemed to get quite flustered whenever Jim winked at him, as it did all kinds of warm things to his body.

"Well, I think Simon just might let us get out of here earily, I've got all of our paperwork done and on his desk, so what do ya say?"

"I say, hell yeah. Let's get outta here."

Jim walked over to Simon's door and knocked. When he heard the gruff 'come in' he stuck his head through the opening and told Simon they were leaving for the day.

"Jim, I need to talk to you for a moment. Come in and close the door," the captain said rather loudly.

"Oh shit, now what?" Blair said under his breath.

"Something wrong, Simon?" Jim asked.

"No. I just thought that you needed to get the ball rolling about your surprise. Now when Blair ask's you something about Valentine's Day you can say that I needed you on a case. That way, you'll be free to do up the hall."

"Great!, Simon. Thanks, I really appreciate this. I know he's gonna be upset, but I hope that when he finds out what's really going on he won't be too angry."

"Jim, you know he can't stay mad at you for very long. Anyway, once you ask your question, I doubt very much he'll remember any of the rest of it. Now, get outta here, some of us still have work to do."

"Right, later Simon," Jim said as he left the office. "Ready to get outta here, Chief?"

"Yeah... you ok Jim? What did Simon want?" Blair asked.

"Um... well..."

"Jim? What's wrong?" Blair asked looking at his mate worriedly as they entered the elevator. He could tell something was wrong by the look on his lovers face.

"Simon needs me to go check over a case. It's out of town and I probably won't be back until the 15th." Jim said softly, trying to sound sad.

"Oh Jim..." Blair replied, "Valentine's Day," he finished, looking really disappointed.

"I know baby, I wanted to be with you on Valentine's Day. We had the day off and I had planned to spend it in bed with you." Jim finished, secretly proud of himself for how sad he sounded.

"I know, Jim. Damn, I knew something would come up to spoil our plans. Well, I guess I'll tell Simon I'll work Valentine's Day after all. I really don't want to be home alone, that day especially."

Jim pulled Blair into a tight hug just before the elevator stopped to deposit them into the parking garage. The ride home was relatively quiet.

Once they got home, Jim watched Blair. He seemed to be really depressed.

"Baby, we can celebrate when I get back. Please don't be so upset, I couldn't help it."

"I know, Jim. But I can't help it. It's Valentine's Day, a day meant for lover's, ya know? I can't help it, I'm gonna be without mine." Blair hated to sound so whinny, but for some reason couldn't help it.

"Aw... baby, c'mere," Jim opened his arms and Blair walked into them, burying his face in Jim's chest. "It'll be ok, you'll see."

Jim started nibbling on the young man's ear, while rubbing small circles on his back. With each pass Jim's hand dropped lower and lower until his hand settled on Blair's butt.

By now the young man was starting to pant slightly, as his hands also did some exploring of their own.

"Jim?"

"Hmmm?"

"Do you love me?"

"Oh god, baby. You know I do!"

"Wanna show me how much?" Blair responded, seductively.

"I thought you'd never ask." Jim lowered his head and gave the young anthro student a kiss, passionate enough to burn holes in his socks. Then grabbing his hand they ascended the stairs to their bedroom.

After making love for several hours, in everyway they could think of, they slept.

The morning of the 13th, Jim and Blair walked into the PD. As soon as they exited the elevator Simon immediately called Jim into his office.

About the time Jim went into Simon's office Rafe walked up to Blair and started talking to him, making it impossible for him to concentrate on what was going on in Simon's office.

"Well, Jim. You ready to set the ball into motion?" Simon asked.

"Yeah, the guys at the hall have everything waiting for me to get there and tell them what goes where. I have to pick up our rings today too, and the license."

"Then get going, we'll keep Blair busy, don't worry."

"Thank's Simon."

Jim exited Simon's office and walked over to his lover, Blair was watching him as he approached.

"Baby, I gotta go," Jim told his partner. "I don't want to, you know that. I love you, Chief. I'll call ya later, ok?" Jim told his lover, leaning in and giving him a soft kiss.

"I know, Jim. I love you, too. I'll miss you." Blair said saddly.

"Me too. I'll make it up to you, I promise. I gotta go, Blair. I'll talk to ya later." Jim said as he was walking toward the elevator.

"Bye Jim," Blair answered dejectedly.

Jim stopped and looked back at his lover, when Blair looked up, Jim winked at him. Blair smiled that special smile that Jim loved and knew everything would be fine.

Jim drove to the jewelers and picked up their rings, then to City Hall for the license, and finally on to the hall he had rented. The day went by rather quickly with Jim helping the guys set up the place to resemble a new restaurant. By 10pm they pretty much had everything done. They had set up tables, complete with table cloths and candles of different colors centered on each. They didn't need to worry about a stage, the hall already had one. Jim had hired a local band to play. All they had left to do was get the curtains re-hung. The place hadn't been used in quite some time so most of what they had to do was clean.

Jim found a quiet corner and called Blair. The phone was answered on the second ring.

"Sandburg"

"Hi, baby."

"Hi, Big Guy."

Blair still sounded so sad it broke Jim's heart, but he knew that his lover would forgive him once he found out the reason. At least he hoped he would.

"I miss you, Chief. You sound so depressed."

"I miss you too, Jim. I'm sorry, I can't help it. I know it's not your fault. I just..."

Jim could hear the small hitches in his lovers breath and knew he was crying. He knew Blair hated to cry.

"Aw... honey don't cry. Please? I'll make this up to you somehow, ok? I love you, Blair. I'll try to wrap this up quickly, ok? I promise I'll be home tomorrow."

"I'm sorry, Jim. I can't help it. I didn't mean to cry, it's just, I wanted us to be together tomorrow, ya know. I feel like such a wuss. I hope you can wrap it up quick, and then we can, at least, spend some of the day together. I love you, too Jim. Drive careful ok, come back to me safe."

"Ok baby, I'll talk to you tomorrow. G'night Chief."

"Nite, Jim."

Jim thought he heard a kissing sound through the phone just before the dial tone returned. God, he loved that man. He so hoped that everything came together the way he was planning. If it did, he and his guide would be married by tomorrow night. That was going to be a surprise for everyone. The gang only knew about the proposal, Jim was actually planning a wedding, if Blair didn't kill him first. Jim had already talked to his friend Reverend Shelton, who had actually been involved in one of Jim's cases.

Blair woke up Valentine's Day morning not caring if he got out of bed or not, but knew he had to. He looked over at the clock sitting on the night stand, it read 9:00am.

"Shit, I'm gonna be late. Damn." Blair threw the blankets off and hurried down the stairs and into the bathroom to grab a quick shower.

As he was exiting the bathroom, there was a knock at the door. Grabbing his robe from the back of the bathroom door, he looked through the peep hole to see who was there. It was a delivery boy from the local florist around the corner. Blair opened the door.

"I have a delivery for Blair Sandburg" The boy said.

"I'm Blair Sandburg."

"Sign here," the teenager said, holding out a clipboard with the paper for him to sign.

"Hang on a sec." Blair said as he went to find his pants and give the kid a generous tip.

"Hey, thanks man," the kid said and bounded down the stairs.

Blair took the oblong box over to the kitchen table, setting it down, he noticed an envelope on top. Opening the envelope, he pulled out the card inside. He read:

Blair

To my one and only love, so true
my heart could never belong to
anyone else but you.

You are the sun that lights my day
and warms my heart in every way.

With eyes so blue, they say so
much, to help express each and
every touch.

With everything you say and do
I have to tell you, I love you.

Happy Valentine's Day Baby

Love,
Jim

 

Blair opened the box with tears streaming down his face, inside he found a dozen beautiful red roses and babies breath. And, nestled in between, was a little stuffed guppy. Blair, chuckled through his tears wondering where on earth Jim had found the little stuffed animal. Putting the roses into a vase, he thought 'Jim could be such a romantic at times, God he loved this man.'

By 10am Blair had pulled himself together and went to work. Once he arrived in the bullpen, he pulled out his little guppy and set it on his desk. He knew he wouldn't get much work done today but at least here he wasn't alone. Pulling the folders from his inbox he tried to concentrate enough to get something accomplished.

Several hours later Rafe and Conner walked up to his desk, "Hey Blair, why don't you come with us for lunch. There's a new restaurant open down the way. We're slow here, so all of us are going to go check it out."

"Hey, Conner, Rafe. Nah, I don't think so guys. I'm not very good company today. You go on, I'll just finish up here."

Rafe and Conner looked at each other, and then looked toward Simon's office. Having heard the conversation, Simon came out
and said, "C'mon Sandburg, we're all going. It's not going to do you any good mopping around, I know you wanted to be with Jim today, he knows it too. But you gotta eat, so let's go."

"Simon I really don't..."

"Detective, don't make me make it an order."

"Fine." Blair resigned, putting the files that were done in the out going box and the rest back in the in box.

As they were going down in the elevator everyone was really quiet, everybody eyeing each other behind Blair's back. Blair was so wrapped up in his own feelings, that he didn't notice how nervous the rest of the gang was.

"I hear this place has live entertainment all the time," Conner said trying to break up the silence.

"Yeah, that's what I heard too," Rafe chimed in.

As they left the elevator Simon suggested they all take his car because it was bigger, Blair said he was going to take his own car, that way if they wanted to stay longer they could and he could come back and get his work done. Conner decided to ride with him because she knew if he went alone he probably wouldn't show up at all.

"Megan, you don't have to ride with me, I'm not a little kid, and I'm fine." Blair said, knowing what she was doing and damn if she wasn't right.

"I know that, Sandy. I'm going with you so that you'll show up." Connor's look dared him to deny her statement.

"Get in the damn car," Blair muttered with a slight smile on his face.

'Ha, first smile of the day, I knew I could do it' Connor smirked to herself, getting into Blair's volvo. The drive over was fairly quiet, as they followed Simon's car. Connor knew that Blair's mood would soon be changing for the better.

Pulling up next to Simon's car in the parking lot, Blair gave the building the once over, thinking, 'this doesn't look much like a restaurant, but hey, who knows'. "What did you say the name of this place was?" Blair asked.

"I didn't," Simon replied, "I was told it's call the 'Boardwalk'. They're open, they just don't have their signs up yet. Basically, it's just word of mouth for now." He shrugged his shoulders at the look he got from Connor and Rafe.

As soon as they all were inside a waiter approached them, "Good afternoon. How many in your party?"

"Six," Simon replied.

"Right this way," The waiter said, leading them over to a round table that would accommodate all of them. Their meals had been catered and were already prepared and being kept hot in the kitchen, Blair was the last one the waiter came to for his lunch order, and upon seeing Blair hesitate, made a suggestion. Blair accepted the suggestion, and the waiter took the menus and headed for the kitchen. Jim knew Blair's likes and dislikes quite well, and had made sure to order what he knew Blair would love. Jim had even arranged for a couple of friends to come in as well, to make it look more like a real establishment. When Blair saw them, they waved as they were led to their own table.

Their meals arrived, in a respectable amount of time, they couldn't get it there soon enough for Jim, who was sweating bullets in the back room, watching his lover. God he was nervous.

Just before they were through with their meal, a waiter appeared at their table with a single rose. "Which one of you is Blair?" The waiter asked.

"I'm Blair," the detective answered looking confused.

"I have been instructed to present you with this rose." The waiter stated, handing the rose to Blair, then turned and walked away.

Blair looked around the table at his friends, 'he had the best friends in the world' he thought.

"Thanks, guys," he said softly.

Simon, Rafe, Conner and the rest simultaneously stated they didn't have a clue as to what was going on, and that they had nothing to do with anything

The lights dimmed, music started to play as the curtains slowly parted to reveal Jim standing there in the spotlight wearing a tux. Blair's reaction was instant. He gasped, and his heart rate skyrocketed, as Jim began to sing.

 

Every time our eyes meet
This feeling inside me
is almost more than I can take
Baby when you touch me
I can feel how much you love me
And it just blows me away
I've never been this close to anyone or anything
I can hear your thoughts
I can see your dreams

 

I don't know how you do what you do
I'm so in love with you, it just keeps getting better
I wanna spend the rest of my life, with you by my side
Forever and ever
Every little thing that you do
Baby I'm amazed by you

 

Jim came down the stairs from the stage and began walking over toward the table where the love of his life was sitting, as he continued his love song to Blair.

 

The smell of you skin
the taste of your kiss
the way you whisper in the dark
your hair all around me, baby you surround me
you touch every place in my heart
oh, it feels like the first time every time
I wanna spend the whole night in your eyes

 

Every little thing that you do
I'm so in love with you
it just keeps getting better
I wanna spend the rest of my life, with you by my side
forever and ever
Every little thing that you do
oh, every little thing that you do
baby I'm amazed by you...

 

"I love you, baby." Jim said as the song ended, dropping down to one knee, he reached into his pocket and produced the rings. "Will you marry me, Blair? Right here, right now?"

Blair stared at his lover as tears streamed down his face for the second time that day. He wasn't the only one at the table shocked. The gang only knew about the proposal, but not a wedding.

Blair launched himself into Jim's arms, mumbling "Yesyesyesyes," into Jim's ear. Once Blair got himself a little more composed, he looked at Jim, "I need to go and change my cloths, I don't want to get married looking like this."

"I thought of that too, baby. C'mon, I've got your things back here," Jim said as he led Blair behind the stage. "There's a place you can change and shower too, if you like." he finished, kissing Blair, then went back to the gang.

"Well, Jim, you managed to shock the hell out of all of us. When did you think of the wedding thing on top of the proposal?" Simon slapped his best detective on the back.

"I figured, if I'm going this far, I might as well go all the way. I want Blair as mine, forever." Jim said softly, slightly embarrassed to reveal this much of himself to his friends.

The guys all came over and shook Jim's hand and Connor kissed him on the cheek, then all conversation stopped, as Jim stared at the vision that came through the doorway.

Blair stood there in his tux, black with a royal blue vest under the jacket, the color of the vest making the color of the detective's eyes pop.

"My god," Jim said softly. He then walked up to his angel and took his hand. Blair then realized that one of the friends that had walked in earlier had been Reverend Shelton. Now the whole puzzle fell into place.

"You never left town did you? You were here all night getting this ready," Blair stated simply.

"Yeah."

"Thank you for the roses, they're beautiful, and I loved the little guppy."

"You're welcome, but, the roses pale in comparison to you, baby."

"When did you turn into such a mushball?" Blair smirked, and added quickly, "but, don't stop, I love it, and I love you."

"I love you, too. Let's get married."

The ceremony was a very simple one with words being spoken from one heart to the other. Connor was silently crying her eyes out at the beauty of it all. God, she wished she could find someone to love her like that. Rafe handed her his hanky, she took it and looked up into his face and smiled, and he smiled back and winked. They looked back to the happy couple just as they kissed to seal their vows.

"Congratulations!" rang out from all present.

As the couple was surrounded by their friends, they enjoyed hand shakes, slaps on the back, hugs and kisses, and well-wishes from all.

"Well, congratulations you too, I'm giving you two weeks, enjoy them. Then don't ask me for any time off for a year," Simon said mock gruffly, "happy honeymoon guys, we'll see you when you get back, some of us have to work for a living."

"Honeymoon? What honeymoon?" Jim hadn't even thought about it, he'd been so nervous, it completely slipped his mind. "God, Blair I..."

Simon handed Jim an envelope, inside were airplane tickets to a resort in Colorado. Complete with everything both men enjoyed doing. Although, Simon knew that most of their time would probably be spent in their room.

"Simon?" Jim looked at his captain and friend questioningly.

"While you and Blair were backstage, we all took up a collection. I hadn't heard you say anything about a honeymoon. So, I called the nearest travel agency, explained the situation, paid with my credit card and had the tickets delivered here. They arrived during the ceremony."

"Thank you, all. We've got some really great friends." Jim stated looking around at the small group, then down at his new husband. Blair could only nod in agreement, he was to choked up to speak.

"I love you, baby."

"I love you, too."

"Ready to start our honeymoon?"

"Hell, yeah. I can't wait to get my hands on you. I'm gonna pay you back for putting me through all the torment I've been through for the past twenty four hours."

"I'm in deep shit now," Jim said softly, seeing the sparkle in his new husband's eyes. Lowering his head, he captured those beautiful lips in a soul stealing kiss; he was more then ready to begin the payback and their new lives together.

~THE END~

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Peggy R.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.