Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2007-01-24
Words:
3,085
Chapters:
2/2
Kudos:
16
Hits:
1,579

The Gang

Summary:

The crew charter to the wrong sort...

Chapter 1: Part 1

Notes:

Disclaimer: I only wish that I owned them!
Notes: I promised myself that I'd finish one more wip before I posted another one, but oooops! Here's a new one for y'all. Now I do promise that I'll go work on the other ones! This one's been bugging me for about two months, and I finally sat down with it today. Enjoy!
Marnie~ Thanks for the FB! I hope that RL doesn't get too much more crazy for you! I'd take the power going out every time you try to vacuum as a sign! Anyhoo, thanks. And I am curious how your story turns out.

Chapter Text

The Gang
by Little Wing

Part One

The small flat was just as messy and unkempt as it had been seven years ago when Daniel Rielly and five of his closest friends went to prison. Just like never leaving, he thought as he pushed the door open and entered the now condemned property. Good thing I have a better place now, he thought standing in the epicenter of the messy flat. There was only one reason he was here and that was because he needed something.

Feeling his way along the baseboards of the living room Daniel found the one board that had always been lose, concealing a small hiding spot that he=d built a long time before he went to prison. A smile twisted across his face as he eagerly shoved his hand into the small hole. Spreading his fingers out as far as they could reach, Daniel let them search for what it was he was looking. After a few seconds his thick fingers brushed up against something ruff and mostly solid. That was it, he thought as his wrapped his fingers around the ruff surface of a small canvas bag. Pulling it from the hole he brushed nearly eight years of dust from the small white bag.

"What's in that?" George, one of Daniel=s new lackeys, asked.

It was an absurd question for the small time hood to be asking of his boss. Daniel shook his head and shot the man a deadly look. "That's why I'm the boss." He stuffed the small bag into the inner pocket of his leather jacket. "All you need to know, is that you can torch this place now." Gathering his older more and trusted associates, Daniel left the building and headed for the dark blue Mercedes Benz that=d been waiting out front.

"Ready?" a dark hair man asked from the drivers seat. Mike Morrison, Daniel liked him. He kept his mouth shut, and never asked stupid questions. He especially liked how Mike knew to keep from inviting himself into things that were none of his business. Even now, Mike kept his eyes straight ahead of him and never once looked back to see if it were really Daniel. He seemed to have a sixth sense at times that both frightened and intrigued Daniel.

"Yes." He patted at the breast of his jacket as he entered the backseat of the car. "Take care our little firebug, Zane." He closed the door.

"It's all. . ." George was saying as he came out the front doors of the newly burning building. "Zane, buddy."

With a soft smile Zane eased back the hammer and pulled the trigger of his weapon. George fell in a heap to the ground, a small amount of blood trickling down the center of his forehead.

*************

"And why're they paying us tomorrow when they get this beaut tonight?" Gabe asked, pulling a small jade statue from the satchel pack that he carried with him everywhere.

"Because that was the arrangement Judson made with them." She couldn't't help but smile at the mixed expression of a pout and a smile that crossed the handsome features of her young friend.

"And why couldn't he just bring it when he picked up the check?" He stopped at the doors to the museum and faced Mac.

"They wanted to authenticate it before they pay us." There was something bugging him, she only wished that she knew what it was. "Why? Got a hot date right now?"

"No." He opened a door and stepped into the museum. "But it's early yet."

"Always the optimist," she said following him through the door.

"Someone's got to be, Ms Pessimist." He smiled at her, easily ducking the slap that he was confident was coming his way.

"Just you wait until we get back the boat, boy." Her smile gave away the tone in her voice.

"Ah, Ms. Previn, Mr. Patterson, you were able to make today," a balding man greeted them just within the doors.

"Yes, that was the deal," Mac said, taking the jade statue from Gabe's grasp. Looking the statue over, she shrugged and handed it to the balding man, Mr. Alden Billingsly.

"Right this way," Billingsly said turning away from them and making his way up the hall.

There was something about him that Mac didn't trust. She just couldn't't put her finger on it at that moment. Eventually Mr. Billingsly would show his colours, she just hoped that she was there to see it. Maybe that was why Judson'd sent her along with Gabe. She'd made no secret of the fact that she didn't't trust the "little balding man." And she was sure that Billingsly knew how she felt about him.

"We've decided to give you the check today," she vaguely heard him say as the three of them rounded a corner to a hallway full of offices. Reading the smoky glass as they went by, Mac wonder which one belonged to Mr. Alden Billingsly. "Right here," his voice was nearly monotone, as he spoke.

Turning the small brass knob on a solid wood door that was nowhere the same as the other glass and wood doors, he let them into a small office. The office felt more like a broom closet than the office of a museum suit. Other than a small filing cabinet and the moderately sized desk, there wasn't much in the room. Placing the statue in the center of the thick oak desk, Alden sat in the tweed covered chair and smiled at Gabe and Mac. "It's not much, but at least it's an office." He shuffled some papers around, pulling a plain white envelope from a red folder. "Here it is." He handed it to Gabe. "That's only half of the fee we agreed upon with Mr. Cross," he folded his hands together on the center of the desk, "the other half will be available tomorrow afternoon."

"We'll be sure and tell him that," Mac said, not attempting to keep the snob tone from her voice, heading for the door of the tiny office.

"Thanks," Gabe said, trying to make up for Mac's rudeness. "What was that about?" his voice was hushed as he closed the door.

"There's something about that little bald man, I don't trust." Her eyes were steely enough for him to drop the subject right then.

*****************

Alden's heart skipped a beat when the door to his office was jerked open, allowing a stout looking man of about thirty to enter. Following behind him were three other men, a fourth stayed in the hall to keep an eye out. The man's leather suit style coat flowed behind him as he moved about the office, his blue-green eyes taking in every nook and cranny of the small space. Alden stared dumbfounded at the other three men crowding the door way. Cold blue eyes stared back at him from a redheaded man in a leather jacket similar to that of the blond man's, while the dark brown eyes of the man standing next to the redhead kept his eyes on the blond. The third man seemed nervous to be there, but he also seemed as though he were taking mental notes of everything that was going on, from the blond man's pacing to Alden's staring.

"Daniel," Alden finally found his voice.

"Alden," Daniel countered taking a seat in the plastic leather of the small arm chair in front of the desk. "You've done all right for yourself." He once again eyed the office.

"I suppose."

"You owe me, Alden." Daniel leaned forward in the chair, his blue-green eyes burning deep into Alden's hazel eyes.

"If anyone owes anyone, Daniel, it's you." Alden stood from his chair and leaned on the desk as well. "I spent three years of my life in jail for you. Way I see it, you owe me, little brother."

"Is that so?" Daniel could feel the fear coming from his brother, but he was impressed that prison had taught his older brother how to stand his ground. "I don't agree with that. You see, I was the reason that you only spent three years in a cell. I told them that I did the things you did. I spent seven years in prison for you, big brother, so you are the one who owes." He leaned back in his chair and watched the anger float through his brother's eyes.

"What do you want?" Alden returned himself to his chair, knowing that he'd been beaten.

"What do you think I want?"

"I don't have any money."

"Then you won't mind if we help ourselves to some priceless artifacts, will you." He reached across the desk wrapping his thick fingers around the jade statue that'd just been dropped off. "This'll be a good start." He stood and headed for the door. "Zane."

Wordlessly the blue eyed redhead moved toward Alden, seizing the man gruffly by his upper arm. Alden gave no objections to being pulled from his office by his former friend. He knew that any objections he did make would surely get hurt seriously wounded. Zane had never been one to play around, and Daniel respected that more than he did the blood of family.

"Which way?" Daniel asked, not looking behind him.

"Straight." He wanted to jerk is arm out of the crushing grip of Zane's hand, but he'd get hit for the effort and then Zane would just grab onto him again, holding tighter.

*****************

Gabe had wanted to tell Mac that she was wrong about Alden, but the waves of mistrust flowing from her told him to keep his mouth shut. Instead he tucked the check Alden had given him into the pocket of his jeans, and headed for the future display for the statue they'd found. It was a small area that contained a few other small jade statues, similar to the one they'd found. Smiling Gabe walked along the glass cases studying the other statues. It amazed him how much all of the statues looked that same, and were so different all at once.

"Ready to go?" Mac asked moving up beside him.

"Yeah, I guess." He moved away from the cases.

"Have you any more like this one?" they heard a harsh voice ask loudly, filling the entire space they were in.

"Think that we should leave now," Gabe said, quietly moving for the door when Mac's hand shot out and pulled him in the opposite direction.


end part 1