Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
489
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
20
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,271

Improbabilities

Summary:

The probability that Querl has fallen for Lyle is rather high.

Work Text:

Improbabilities

Everything was possible, but only some things were probable. For instance, it was possible that Cosmic Boy could exercise his leadership qualities in a way which failed to grate on Brainy's nerves. It was highly improbable, however, that Rokk would ever do so, let alone in the near future. It was also possible that Nura Nal was right about science just being another form of magic, instead of magic being another form of science, as was Querl's hypothesis. It was highly improbable that either one of them would ever be able to prove themselves right; especially Brainiac 5, as the scientific method was all about proving things wrong. And it was entirely possible that no matter what he tried, and no matter how probable it was in theory, Querl would never be able to rid himself of Koko; the bothersome simian appeared to have latched onto him with a fierce stubbornness that rivaled that of Coluan Erasni Reverof offspring imprinting on their parents. These were things that Querl knew, and had known almost since the first moment he'd conceived the questions about them in his mind. New bits of knowledge made their way through his brain everyday; only some of them were of such import that they would weave themselves through his very being, plague his every waking moment, and tinge his every thought with worry and yearning. No matter that, in theory, it was possible for a man to be an island in a sea full of people, Querl Dox had never been able to entirely remove himself from society. Especially when society - generally in the form of one of the more gregarious Legionnaires - kept seeking him out. And not taking no for an answer when it came to pursing his friendship. Invisible Kid was far from the friendliest person of his acquaintance, but he seemed infinitely more invested in befriending him than anyone Querl had ever met. Not that anyone else had ever tried very hard, if at all. And, as time went by and Lyle did not desert him for less caustic company, Querl had allowed himself to...grow used to Lyle. Accustomed to his presence. Nay, even to enjoy the companionship of the only human who could ever even hope to mostly match his intellect. He'd never had a friend before Lyle. He supposed that was a possible reason for why he was so blindsided by his own feelings. Because, no matter how unlikely it would have seemed to him even a scant few weeks before, it was becoming apparent that aside from simply being possible, it was indeed probable that he'd...fallen in love with his best friend. Well, apparently Nura's prediction about him marrying her in the future was wrong. It was not only possible, but also probable that he wouldn't be satisfied spending the rest of his life with anyone other than Lyle Norg.