Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
26,303
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,236

The Meaning of Family

Summary:

Gabe has a skiing accident while on vacation.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

The Meaning of Family
By Debbie S.


It's December 20th and the two youngest members of the Adventure Inc team are rushing around while their leader sits calmly on the couch reading a magazine occasionally glancing up when someone once again goes rushing by.

After 10 minutes of reading without any interruptions Judson tosses the magazine down on the coffee table and heads down the hallway. He only takes 5 steps when suddenly Gabe and Mac both come charging out of their cabins and nearly collide with each other.

Judson laughs at both of his friends and says, "You know if you two would just slow down and take your time you'd get packed and still be in one piece, but if you keep this up someone is gonna get hurt."

Gabe smiles and says, "Yeah Mac he's got a point. You're running around like a chicken without it's head, slow down and smell the roses."

Mac looks at him and says, "I will when I get to Rome and looks who's talking your not exactly taking your time either."

As his two friends start to argue Judson shakes his head at them and says, "Guys come on already. What do I have to do around here to get some peace and quiet?"

Gabe and Mac stop arguing and turn to look at him.

Gabe smiles at him and says, "Come on Judson you're gonna have the place to yourself for 2 weeks, you'll get enough of that once we leave tomorrow. But tonight is noise making time."

Mac nods her head and says, "He's got a point Judson. Now could you please get out of my way I need to get my bathing suit so I can pack it."

Judson looks at the 2 of them and shakes his head while raising his hands in mock surrender and says, "I give up, knock yourselves out, but don't expect me to take you to the hospital if you get hurt. I'm turning in see you guys in the morning"

He moves aside and lets Mac and Gabe pass him then goes into his cabin and shuts the door. As he goes to lay down on his bunk he thinks, 'Man it is going to be way to quiet around here once they leave. Guess I'll have to pick up some more reading material and some good movies to keep me entertained.'

It takes Gabe and Mac another hour to get their bags packed and then placed by the stairs. Since Judson has already had it with them they smartly decide to leave him alone and only say goodnight to each other.

*******

The next morning Mac is the first one up. She is so excited about going to Rome for the holidays to see her father that she had hardly slept and decides to get up and make breakfast for everybody.

A half-hour later the smell of eggs and sausage is permeating the ship and Judson begins to make his way to the table.

"Morning Mac! What time's your flight again?"

Mac hands a cup of coffee through the big opening to the waiting Judson and says, "Morning, it's at 10 but I need to be there an hour earlier for check in and before you ask Gabe's it at 11. Sit down the food's almost done."

Judson takes his seat and then looks down the hallway but doesn't see any sign of their young friend. As Mac brings out their food he says, "Have you seen Gabe yet? Maybe I should go make sure he's awake."

Mac glares at him and says, "He's a big boy. He knew what time we had to be up. So if Gabe's not up he's only got himself to blame. Now eat your food before it gets cold."

Before Judson can says anything else they hear, "I'm coming keep your shirt on."

As Gabe sits down in his usual seat Judson chuckles and says, "Boy it sounds like somebody got up on the wrong side of his bunk this morning. You're starting your vacation today why aren't you as happy as Mac?"

Gabe takes a sip of his coffee then begins to push his eggs around on his plate and avoids looking up at either of his friends.

After a few minutes Mac reaches out, smacks his left arm and says, "Hey, stop playing with your food and answer the mans question."

Gabe doesn't look up but says, "Some vacation. Two weeks at a ski lodge in the middle of no where with my family hounding me about law school, tons of fun. Then the wrap up party, the final 4 days where 100 of their friends join us. Not to mention dodging reporters and dealing with the ever present security."

Mac looks at him and says, "Hey you can always join me in Rome if you want. The more the merrier."

Judson pushes his empty plate aside and says, "Or you can always stay here with me, if you want."

Gabe shakes his head, lays his fork down and says, "Thanks guys but I already baled out of two other family gatherings. If I don't show up for this, my fathers liable to send a security team for me. It's my mother's birthday on the 3rd and I can't miss her party. I'm gonna go clean up and change."

Judson watches him walk away then gets up and begins to clear the table. When he grabs Gabe's plate he says, "He didn't eat a thing. I hope he's wrong about all that and has some fun."

Mac gets up to help him and says, "So do I, you'd think after all this time his parents would lay off the law school thing. He's happy working with us and we've found a lot of important things since he's joined the team. So it's not like he's been goofing off or anything like that."

*******

An hour later the trio is at the airport in the waiting area for Mac's flight, she's excited and has been walking around the small area. Since she will be sitting for the long flight Mac's trying to let off some excess energy before she has to board the plane. Judson and Gabe are sitting in some seats with a view of the tarmac and the rest of the airport activity. Judson is pretending to read a magazine but he's alternating glances at his two friends. Mac's wanderings make him smile but the sight of Gabe sitting slumped in his chair makes him frown.

Mac walks up to them and upon seeing Judson frowning at Gabe she kneels down in front of him and says, "Hey, cheer up. Before you know it your vacation will be over and you'll be working you butt off fixing all the stuff Judson has managed to break while we're gonna."

Gabe looks at her then Judson and says, "Just try not to sink the ship while we're gonna okay?" He flashes the famous Gabriel Patterson smile and both of his friends' chuckle.

Then Judson says, "Don't worry kid I think I can manage to keep her afloat until you get back. But as far as everything else goes I'm not guaranteeing anything. You're gonna have to make up those 3 extra days vacation some how so I might just break a few things on purpose and make you work some overtime when you get back."

Mac glares at him but Gabe just shrugs his shoulders and says, "No problem you break it and I'll fix it, just like always." He starts to laugh and his friends join in.

Before Mac can say anything else the stewardess is heard calling out instructions for the boarding of her plane. The three of them get up and walk toward the gate. Judson gives Mac a hug and tells her to have a good time and enjoy the holidays and Mac tells him to stay out of trouble.

Then she grabs Gabe and while giving him a big hug she whispers in his ear, "Try to have some fun and if you want to talk call me, I'll have my cell on."

Mac releases him and Gabe says, "Have a good trip Mac, don't blow up Rome or anything else while you're there."

Mac smiles at him and ruffles his hair before she turns and walks toward the gate.

The two male members of the team stand by the windows and quietly watch her plane as it begins to leave it's gate.

Judson puts his arm around Gabe's shoulders and says, "Okay kid now we better start heading toward your gate."

Gabe nods his head, grabs his backpack off his seat and slings it over his left shoulder then says, "Guess you're right. Wouldn't want to miss the plane."

Judson chuckles and says, "Come on you might manage to have some fun on this trip. Think about it you're gonna be at a ski lodge for more than two weeks. There's bound to be some cute girls there your age, you might meet somebody. If all else fails you can always go skiing and disappear for awhile."

Gabe shakes his head and says, "Yeah I can see the headline now, SENATOR PATTERSON'S SON GOES OUT SKIING AND DISAPPEARS. He'd have the National Guard all over the mountain in an hour and I wouldn't be able to get out of my room for the rest of the vacation without a security guard handcuffed to each wrist. No thanks, I'll just put on the fake smile and nod my head a lot, I'm used to it. No bid deal."

Judson grips his shoulder a little harder and says, "Come on think positive. You're gonna have a great vacation, a lot of skiing, date a couple of cute girls and then come back here and work until you drop."

They reach the gate and Gabe says, "Okay I give up, it's gonna be great. I'm gonna get my seat assignment why don't you find a seat."

Judson smiles at him and heads toward the window. He plops down in an empty seat and watches his friend checking in. Judson's not very happy with what his friend has been saying about his vacation but he doesn't know how to make it any easier on him.

Gabe walks over to Judson and leans against the window instead of taking one of the empty seats. He stands looking out the window at the many vehicles moving around on the tarmac and says, "So what are you gonna do for two weeks here all by yourself?"

Judson looks up at him and says, "Oh I don't know, do a little cleaning, some reading, catch up on some paperwork, break a few things and enjoy some solitude."

When Gabe doesn't say anything Judson stands up and says, "Hey are you sure you're all right? You know last night you seemed to be happy about this trip. What happened?"

Gabe looks at him and says; "Yeah I'm fine, maybe just a little tired. But I can always sleep on the plane for awhile. I got a call from my cousin Jack last night right before I turned in. He said something came up and he's gotta work over the holidays and can't make it."

Judson nods his head suddenly realizing that's why he's been so down. "Well I'm sure you'll be able to find a cute snow bunny to keep you company on the slopes, so cheer up."

Gabe doesn't say anything and just continues to stare out the window. Finally the stewardess announces that boarding is beginning for his flight. So Gabe reaches down and grabs his backpack.

As Judson walks him over to the line that has formed he says, "At least the weather report for Vale was favorable for skiing so at least that should be fun." He nudges Gabe's shoulder trying to get his friend to cheer up and think positively.

Gabe looks at him smiles and says, "Yeah at least that should be a blast. Maybe I'll try using a snowboard this time around instead of ski's."

As Gabe hands the stewardess his boarding pass Judson says, "Just be careful all right."

Gabe grins at him and says, "Judson you worry too much. I'll be on a mountain covered with snow. Even if I fall there's no way I can get seriously hurt. See you guys on the 7th and don't break too much. Remember I might be able to fix it but you're still gonna have to pay for the replacement parts I'll need."

Judson laughs and waves good bye to his young friend as he walks down the ramp headed toward his plane. He then goes to stand at the window and once again that day watches a friend's plane leave. As he slowly walks through the airport headed for his car he thinks to himself. 'Okay two weeks on the Vast Explorer alone. Man it's gonna be way too quiet around here with out those two carrying on and no work to keep my mind off of it. Darn holiday's'

*******

Judson's two weeks of quiet solitude have finally come to an end. He's now standing in the waiting area for Mac's returned flight and watching the passengers slowly deplane. He's been standing there for about 20 minutes and has yet to see his friend. It seems to be a sea of faces and he is beginning to think he has the wrong flight when suddenly he is grabbed from behind.

"Hey Judson. Did you miss me?"

After he is released Judson turns around and finds his friend smiling broadly at him, obviously happy with herself. "I'm not sure, let me think about that for a minute." After receiving a whack in the shoulder he smiles and says, "Yeah I missed you. It was way to quiet on the boat and I had to do all the cooking myself, so tonight you're in charge of that."

Mac glares at him and says, "Nah why don't we go out instead, my treat."

The two of them catch up while headed to the baggage claim area. After spending another hour getting her two bags and navigating the busy airport they're finally on their way toward the car.

As they approach the vehicle Mac puts out her hand and says, "Keys!"

Judson tosses her the keys and says, "Try not to get us pulled over on the way back, speed demon."

Mac gives him a big smile and as she slides behind the wheel says, "Hey they gotta catch us first!"

Judson tosses the bags in the back seat and as he gets in says, "I think by now they know where to find us. Don't you?"

As she pulls out of the parking space and hits the gas making Judson slam back into his seat Mac says, "Yeah Costa probably has our license plate pasted in all the patrol cars with instructions to call him. Don't worry I don't plan on exceeding the speed limit too much."

She gives him a wicked grin and Judson just shakes his head at her.

*******

10 minutes later they're pulling up to the docked Vast Explorer. Judson gets out of the car and grabs Mac's bags then follows her on board the ship.

As they enter the sitting area Mac notices 3 big boxes sitting off to the side. So she stops and says, "What's that stuff?"

Judson begins to pass her and says, "I don't know it came late yesterday, it's for Gabe. It was pretty heavy so I had the delivery guys put it there out of the way. Didn't know anything about it and since it was so heavy I figured that's as good a place as any."

Mac follows him to her cabin saying, "You should have had them put it in his cabin for him."

Judson places her bags on her bunk and says, "Hey I don't know what it is. It could be anything, when he gets back and opens it I'll help him carry it to his room if he wants. Never know it could be some diving equipment or some other stuff that needs to go someplace else."

Mac shakes her head and with a concerned look on her face says, "That's not like him. Why didn't he call and let you know it was coming?"

Judson gives her a grin and says, "Oh I don't know. Ski bunnies and the slopes are probably keeping him pretty busy. No big deal we'll take care of it when he gets back."

Mac removes a paper from her carry on bag and hands it to Judson, "I'm not too sure of that. I picked this paper up in New York before I made my connection, there's an article in there you might finds interesting."

Judson sits down in a chair and unfolds the paper. It's the entertainment section and on the front page in bold print Margaret Patterson, wife of Senator Patterson celebrates Birthday at Vale ski lodge. There's also a picture of the couple and a younger man and woman. The pictures caption identifies them as their children.

Judson looks up at her with a shocked expression on his face and says, "Gabe's not in the picture with them. Something's not right here. This makes it seem like they only have the two kids. Did you read the article? Is he mentioned at all?"

Mac shakes her head and says, "Heck yes I read it, and no he's not mentioned at all. Not by name or even in an off sort of way that their younger son was also in attendance. It's as if he doesn't even exist. He was so down before I got on the plane. I told him to call me if he needed to talk to somebody but he didn't call. I was gonna call him but I didn't want to . . . I don't know sound like I was checking up on him. Have you heard from him at all since he left?"

Judson shakes his head and says, "No I haven't. We talked for a little while before he got on his plane. His cousin bailed out of the trip and called him the night before. That's why he was so down. I think I managed to lift his spirits a little by mention the ski bunnies and some other things he could do."

Mac starts to leave her room and says, "Maybe we should try to call him. Just to make sure everything is all right."

Judson follows her saying, "I don't know if we'll be able to reach him. Maybe he asked his father to pull some strings and keep him out of the press for some reason. If we bring it up he might not like it. Besides I'm sure his parents would have called if he hadn't shown up."

Mac enters the kitchen and as she is grabbing 2 beers out of the fridge says, "I don't know about that, they aren't exactly happy about him working with us. For all we know they didn't even bother to pick him up at the airport and from there he could have gone anywhere. All he has to do is catch his return flight back here and we wouldn't know any different."

Judson takes the beer she holds out to him and as he walks back toward the sitting area says, "Mac there is no way Gabe would do that and you know it. Besides that close to Christmas and all the flights would have been over booked as it was. He would take a cab to the lodge and checked in, not taken off."

Mac plops down onto the blue chair and says, "Yeah I know. The kid doesn't have it in him to do that. I just don't know what else to think, and you know darn well Gabe wouldn't complain to his father about the press."

Not knowing what else to say or even do Judson sits quietly on the couch sipping his beer while Mac does the same.

*******

A half-hour later Judson and Mac are still contemplating the article and occasionally discussing events from Mac's vacation. When suddenly the sound of footsteps are heard coming down the stairs. Judson and Mac look up just as Gabe comes through the doorway and into the sitting area. His left arm is in a sling, his face is covered in a thin film of sweat and he looks extremely pale.

Mac jumps up and starts toward him saying, "My god what happened to you?"

Judson has only taken two steps toward him when suddenly Gabe's legs buckle but luckily Mac was closer and is able to grab him and keep him upright. Judson rushes to them in a matter of seconds he scoops Gabe up in his arms and quickly begins to head toward the infirmary. When they enter the room Mac rushes in front of him and pulls back the blankets. Then she helps Judson carefully lower him down onto the bed.

Judson carefully releases the clip on the sling and says, "He's got a cast on this forearm. Get me some spare pillows so I can elevate it."

As Mac leaves the room Judson carefully slides the sling off Gabe's arm and then drapes the sling over the headboard of the bed, knowing that it is too dangerous to leave it on when a person is sleeping.

Mac quickly returns with two pillows. She hands them to Judson and as he is positioning the arm on them she places her hand on Gabe's forehead and says, "He feels a little warm but I don't think his fever is too high."

Judson pulls out his cell and just as he is about to turn it on Gabe weakly says, "Don't. I'm okay . . . Don't want to go back to a hospital."


Part 2

Mac sits on the edge of the bed and Judson kneels by her to make it easier for Gabe to see them.

Mac softly says, "Gabe you're running a temperature and you collapsed out there. I really think we should take you to the hospital."

Judson then says, "Wait a minute Mac he said back to a hospital. What is that supposed to mean? Gabe were you in a hospital recently?"

Gabe slowly nods and says, "Yeah, I was released this morning. Sorry guys but I couldn't take it anymore in Colorado and I didn't have anywhere else to go." He closes his eyes and continues, "I hope you don't mind but the airline only had one open seat on today's flight so I took it otherwise I was stuck there with them until my scheduled flight on Tuesday."

Mac brushes some hair off of his forehead and says, "You're always welcome here so I don't want to hear you say that again. Do you feel up to telling us what happened?"

Gabe slowly open's his eyes and grimaces in pain.

Judson quickly says, "I think that can wait for now. Did they give you any pain medication before you left the hospital or a prescription for some?"

Gabe nods his heads and says, "The doctor gave me a prescription. I got it filled before I went to the airport. It's in the front pocket of my backpack."

Mac stands up and says, "He dropped it when he collapsed. I'll get it. Judson you stay here."

Judson pulls a chair over to the bed, sits down and says; "Do your parents know about this?"

Gabe looks away from his friend and before Judson can prod him about his folks Mac comes running into the room with the backpack and a bottle of water.

"Here we go. Judson open this bottle while I find the pills." She puts the bag down on the edge of the bed, unzips the pocket and quickly finds 2 bottles of pills. "Hey there's 2 bottles here. If one's for pain what's the other for?"

Gabe softly says, "It's an antibiotic. Don't worry it's to prevent an infection in my arm. I'm not sick, really."

As Mac opens the bottle that indicates it's for pain she glances at Judson. He shrugs his shoulders at her and then says, "I know you aren't lying but you sure look sick to me."

Mac carefully sits down on the edge of the bed and hands him a pill. Judson helps Gabe sit up a little so he can take it, then he holds the water bottle for him. After Gabe swallows the pill and some water Judson carefully lowers him back down onto the pillows.

Gabe closes his eyes and says, "Thanks Judson, Mac. Really I'm okay just a broken arm and slight concussion. No big deal really . . . I just need to get a little sleep, then I'll be fine. Why don't you guys just forget about me and go back to whatever you were doing before I showed up."

Judson and Mac look at each other completely shocked. They can't believe what they have just heard nor the way he said it. His voice was so flat and without any emotion.

Mac reaches out and stokes his cheek with two fingers and says, "Just go to sleep. Don't worry about us." Noticing that his breathing has slowed and evened out she looks at Judson and say, "He's asleep. Look why don't we order some take out? I also think one of us should sit with him, just to keep an eye on him."

Judson nods his head and says, "Okay I'll order some Chinese from the new place down the street they deliver and it's pretty good. Don't worry I'll get enough for all of us. He's gonna need to eat something when he wakes up. I'll be back in a minute."

Mac nods her head and continues to sit by her sleeping friend absent-mindedly stroking his cheek.

*******

3 hours later after having eaten their dinner of take out in the infirmary watching over their sleeping friend, neither one had wanted to leave the room for a minute. Judson and Mac are both sitting in chairs close to the bed quietly watching their sleeping friend. They both look extremely concerned and neither one seems willing to leave and go get some sleep, fearing he will wake up and they won't be there for him.

Finally after another hour Judson is able to convince Mac to go to bed but the only way he was able to, was by giving her his cell phone. He had found Gabe's in his backpack and promised to call his, the second Gabe showed any sign of waking up.

Mac reluctantly gets up out of her chair, gently kisses Gabe on the forehead and then slowly leaves the room.

*******

The sun is just beginning to rise when Mac wakes up, she rubs her eyes then rushes out of her room when she realizes Judson had never called her. But when she reaches the infirmary it only takes a quick glance to tell her that Gabe is still sound asleep and doesn't appeared to have moved during the night.

She slowly and quietly walks up to the bed and after carefully checking Gabe's forehead turns to look at Judson. She finds him slumped in his chair asleep with the phone in his hand ready to call her.

Mac tries to carefully take the phone out of his hand but Judson stirs and opens his eyes before she can fully get a hold of it.

He blinks his eyes, yawns then says, "Morning, how'd you sleep?"

Mac crouches down next to Judson's chair and says, "Probably better than you. Why don't you go lay down on your bunk and get some more rest. I'll keep my eye on sleeping beauty."

"Morning guys!"

Mac and Judson look at the bed shocked to hear Gabe's voice.

Judson is the first to recover and he leans forward and grabs Gabe's hand. "Morning, how are you feeling?"

Gabe quietly says, "Better. Judson why'd you sleep in that chair? You should have slept in your bunk like Mac did."

Mac looks at him and says, "How do you know where I slept?"

Gabe sheepishly says, "I woke up a couple of hours ago. Judson was sound asleep and when I walked by your cabin I saw you sleeping. You left your door open so I couldn't help but notice."

Judson gets up and stretches then says, "Why didn't you wake me up? And what were you doing out of bed?"

Gabe looks down at his chest and says quietly, "I had to go to the bathroom. I managed."

Mac sits on the edge of the bed, she reaches out a hand and lifts his chin up so she can look him directly in the eyes while she says, "You shouldn't have. What if . . . I don't know, you got dizzy and fell. You could have gotten hurt. Judson was sitting right here, you should have woken him up."

Gabe tries to look away but Mac still has a hold of his chin and she won't allow it.

Judson leans down and says, "Mac's right you should have woken me up. I was here to keep an eye on you, guess I was more tired than I thought. I want you to promise not to do that again."

Gabe looks at his two friends and quietly says, "You looked so tired, I didn't want to bother you." He looks away and says, "I'm sorry."

Mac releases his chin and ruffles his hair then says, "Okay, how about we forget it right now, No harm done. Who's ready for breakfast?"

Judson pats his stomach and says, "I could go for some food and he definitely needs to eat something. Where's your pills?" Judson glances around until he finds the bottles on the floor and as he grabs them says, "You didn't take an antibiotic last night so you better take one now. How's your arm? Do you need a pain pill?"

Gabe goes to sit up but Mac puts her hand on his chest and glares at him. So Gabe settles back on the pillows and says, "It doesn't hurt too bad, it's just a dull ache. But I have to take the antibiotic after I eat some food or it'll make me sick."

Mac gives him a questioning look but doesn't says anything except, "Okay I'll go get the food and coffee started. You," she points at Gabe, "stay put in this bed. Judson why don't you go take a shower." She ruffles Gabe's hair once again then gets up and leaves.

Judson smiles at him and says, "I'll bring your breakfast when it's ready. Do you need anything else?"

Gabe shrugs his shoulders and after a few seconds says, "Could you brings me my laptop? It's on my desk."

Judson grins at him and says, "Sure not a problem. Why don't you close your eyes and take it easy till breakfast is ready."

Gabe nods his head then watches Judson walk out of the room. He looks up at the ceiling for a minute then closes his eyes.

*******

A half hour later Judson peeks his head into the infirmary while on his way to the kitchen and sees Gabe lying on the bed staring at the ceiling. Judson shakes his head but decides to let him be for now. Figuring Gabe had gotten enough sleep for awhile and at least he was staying in bed like they wanted so there was no use making a big deal about it.

Gabe was so lost in thought that he hadn't even heard Judson when he stopped to check on him and Gabe was still staring up at the ceiling a half hour later when both his friends entered the room carrying 3 breakfast trays.

Mac clears her throat and says, "Hey what's so interesting up there?"

Gabe blinks a couple of times then looks at Mac and Judson. He doesn't say anything though, just shrugs his shoulders and starts to sit up but it's a little difficulty since he can't us his left arm or hand.

Judson puts the 2 trays he was carrying down on the floor and says, "Hey take it easy." He reaches out and helps Gabe get the rest of the way up and moves him back a little so he is leaning against the headboard.

Gabe softly says, "Thanks . . . You guys don't have to sit in here with me. You could've eaten at the table."

As Judson places one of the trays over his lap he says, "Your welcome. We're not gonna just leave you alone in here to eat by yourself. It doesn't matter to us were we eat, does it Mac?"

Gabe begins to eat some of his eggs and looks up when Mac says, "Sure doesn't. Now start eating before it gets cold and Gabe don't forget to take your pill."

Judson picks up his tray and as he sits down says, "You heard the head nurse take your pill."

Gabe shows her the pill, smiles and says, "What are you gonna do if I don't?"

Mac glares at him and says, "I'm gonna sit on you and make you take it."

Gabe thinks about it for a minute and knowing she probably would do it he pops the pill in his mouth and swallows it with some orange juice.

Judson chuckles and says; "Smart choice kid. Now eat the rest of your breakfast."

The rest of the meal is eaten in silence and occasionally Judson and Mac glance toward Gabe then to the other person as if in silent communication. After they've finished Judson stacks his and Mac's empty plates and then rises to get Gabe's.

When he looks down at it Judson notices he's only eaten about half of the food. He looks at his friend with concern and says, "You didn't eat much. Are you feeling okay?"

Before Gabe can answer Mac walks over to him and feels his forehead again, "You feel a little warm. Judson get the thermometer."

"Guys really I'm okay. I just wasn't that hungry is all." Gabe moves his head trying to get away from Mac and says, "You don't need to make such a big deal out of it really, I'm fine."

Judson hands the thermometer over and says, "We're not making a big deal out of it. You showed up here early and collapsed, you've got a cast on your arm and you said something about a concussion. You slept after taking that pain pill completely missing dinner and now you've hardly eaten any breakfast. I think we have a right to be concerned."

Mac nods her head and says, "So stop giving us a hard time and open up." She begins to move the thermometer towards his mouth but Gabe has it tightly clamped shut and is glaring at her.

Judson looks down at him and says, "Gabe come on, just let Mac take your temperature."

Gabe shakes his head no and then turns his head away and stares at the wall. It's obvious to his two friends that there is no way he's gonna let them take his temperature without a fight. Trying to force the issue could cause him more pain so Mac finally puts the thermometer away.

She sighs and says, "Okay you win this time but next time might just be another story." Mac reaches out and ruffles his hair trying to lighten the mood a little.

But Gabe just continues to stare at the wall. It's obvious to both of his friends that something is bothering him but they're not sure how to get him to talk to them.

Finally Judson clears his throat and says, "Look why don't you try to get some more rest. We won't be too far if you need anything give a shout."

As they begin to leave the room Judson realizes he forgot to grab Gabe's laptop for him and he says, "I'll bring you your laptop after I put this stuff in the kitchen. Do you need anything else?"

Gabe finally turns to look at him and softly says, "No, thanks."

Judson nods at him then leaves the room. When he returns with the computer Judson finds Gabe sitting on the bed with his left arm back in the sling, with the hand tilted upward.

He hands Gabe the laptop and then says, "Are you sure you don't want anything else?" Judson begins to slowly walk toward the doorway.

Gabe starts to open the computer and says, "Thank, this is fine. I'll occupy myself with this, No problem really. I can manage, you guys have got stuff to do."

Judson stops in his tracks and turns to look at his friend. He's completely shocked at how flat Gabe's voice sounded, no emotion at all. Seeing that Gabe has begun to work on his computer Judson quietly leaves the room.

*******

Judson walks into the sitting room and begins to pace back and forth. After his 4th pass in front of her Mac finally can't take it anymore, she stands up and blocks his route.

"Judson, what's the matter? You look like you're ready to punch something or somebody."

He stops as if suddenly realizing he wasn't in the room alone and says, "I am but I'm just not sure WHO I should be hitting just yet."

Mac puts her hand on his shoulder and says, "Sit down and tell me what's got you so upset. Did Gabe say something when you gave him his computer that made you angry? Did he do something, what?" Mac all but pushes him down into the chair and then kneels in front of him.

Judson takes a deep breath and slowly releases it then he looks Mac in the eyes and says, "I gave him his laptop and asked him is he needed anything else. He . . ." Judson stops and takes another deep breath and after slowly letting it out continues, "said, 'I'll occupy myself with this, no problem really. I can manage, you guys have got stuff to do.' Mac his voice was so flat, no emotion at all. It was as if his being here shouldn't matter to us and we should just go about whatever we had planned and forget he was here."

Mac puts her hands on his knees and says, "That's the way he sounded when he regained consciousness and we got him to take the pain medication. I was hoping it was cause of the pain but now I don't know what to think."

Judson nods his head and then says, "Yeah, Mac I don't get it. He goes away for 2 weeks and he comes back in such bad shape. He's acting like . . . I don't know. Like he's imposing and we should pretend he's not here."

Mac looks down the hallway, then back at Judson and says, "I know. He knows we care about him. Something must of happened while he was gone. He's just not acting like himself. Do you think we should call his parents? I wonder if they can tell us anything to shed some light on his behavior?"

Judson looks down the hallway and says, "Somehow I don't think we'll get any answers out of them. When you left the room to get his backpack yesterday I asked him a question about his parents. He looked away and acted like he didn't hear me. Then you came back into the room and I forgot all about it until now."

*******

2 hours later Judson and Mac are still in the sitting area. Judson is staring at a book and Mac is casually playing a came of solitaire. They both occasionally look up from their endeavors and look down the hallway then back down at what they are doing. Suddenly they hear the sound of water running. Realizing it is coming from the infirmary they both get up and rush toward the room.

Mac enter the room first and upon seeing Gabe headed back to the bed she rushes to his side. She grabs his right arm and puts it over her shoulders and says, "What do you think you're doing?"

Startled Gabe drops the pill bottle he had in his right hand and as Mac helps him get settled on the bed he softly replies, "I was just getting a drink."

Judson has picked up the bottle and after looking at it for a second says, "You should have called for one of us. If you're in that much pain that you needed to take this then you shouldn't have been out of bed."

Gabe refuses to look at his friends but says, "Guys come on. I'm an adult stop treating me like a kid. If I can go through surgery and everything else on my own then I darn well can manage to get myself a drink of water."

Mac and Judson look at each other stunned by what he has just said. Mac carefully sits on the edge of the bed and says, "Gabe look at me!"

When he doesn't Mac gently grabs his chin and tries to get him to turn his head, but Gabe resist her efforts and says, "Please just leave me alone!!"

Mac removes her hand and when she looks up at Judson he can see she is concerned. He places a hand on her shoulder and says, "Okay, but later we need to talk. Get some rest for now."

Mac slowly stands up and they quietly walk out of the room.

*******

Mac walks into the kitchen and after taking out 2 beers angrily slams the door. She turns around and hands one of the bottles to Judson and all but yells, "WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED IN COLORADO!"

Judson shakes his head then says, "I don't know. He's talking about going through surgery alone. I can't believe this. I just figured he had a mishap on the slopes and it was a simple broken arm. My god how could his family let him go through surgery alone."

Mac swallows about half the bottle of beer and then angrily says, "We don't even know when it happened. For all we know he could've spent the entire time in the hospital. If they let him go through the surgery alone then they probably ignored him the rest of the time he was there. I can't believe this."

"Mac lower your voice. He's upset enough I don't . . ." Before Judson can finish the sentence Mac slams her beer down on the counter and stomps out of he kitchen. Judson follows her and says, "Where are you going?"

Mac turns and looks at him over her shoulder and says, "I'm going for a walk. Then I'm gonna come back here, track down his parents and give them a piece of my mind."

Before Judson can say anything else she bolts up the stairs out of site then he hears her footsteps as she walks off the boat. Judson's extremely angry himself but with Mac gone he figures he better stay close just in case. So he grabs a book out of his cabin then takes a seat in the sitting area. At least there he can see Mac when she gets back and still be within ear shot if Gabe wakes up and tries to do something he shouldn't.



Part 3

An hour later a much calmer Mac returns to the Vast Explorer when she walks down the stairs and enters the sitting area she finds Judson sitting in the chair with a book but he doesn't appear to be reading. Before she can say anything Judson looks up at her and seems surprised to see her standing there.

"Mac! Look before you do something we might all regret can we please talk."

Mac walks over to the couch and calmly sits down then says, "About what? The facts that we know are; Gabe left here for a vacation with his family; he came back early, hurt and at the point of collapse; and is now acting like a completely different person. One who I might add seems to think that his being here or anywhere shouldn't matter." She looks Judson directly in the eyes daring him to contradict anything that she had said.

After having worked with Mac for many years Judson knows exactly what her glare means and wisely waits a few minutes before saying, "I think we should talk to Gabe when he wakes up and once we know exactly what happened then we decide what to do."

Mac shakes her head and says, "Judson he's gonna be asleep most of the day. Do you honestly want to wait that long to get any answers that is if we can get him to talk to us?"

Once again Judson sighs and says, "No but I'm also not willing to embarrass him by calling his parents and demanding to know how he got hurt, not to mention confronting them about the change in his attitude. It could make things worse, not better. Are you willing to alienate Gabe and risk his taking off on us too?"

Mac looks away from him then slowly says, "No I'm not . . . and you know it. I hate waiting and you know that too so don't start with me."

*******

3 hrs later Judson and Mac are once again pretending to be reading and playing cards respectively when they hear, "NO . . . stop it."

In a split second Mac and Judson are running down the hallway and entering the infirmary. As the rush to the bed they see Gabe tossing on the bed, beads of sweat on his forehead glisten in the light as he moves his head back and forth on the pillow. Judson notices that his friend still has his sling on and quickly grabs for the buckle.

"Mac try to hold him still I gotta get this away from his neck!"

Mac kneels by the side of the bed and tries to hold the tossing young man but doesn't want to get to rough. Not knowing exactly what put him in the hospital Mac is concerned about hurting him. Once Judson has gotten the strap away from his friends' neck he's not quite sure what else to do.

Gabe begins to mumble, "No. Just leave me alone. I don't . . ."

Mac looks up at Judson and says, "Judson call an ambulance! Now!!"

But Judson appears too shocked by what Gabe is saying to move. Then suddenly Gabe yells, "LOOK OUT!!!" and bolts upright in the bed.

Thankfully Mac still had a hold of him or he might have fallen out of the bed. Gabe's gasping for air and Mac says, "Easy Gabe we're here. Everything's all right, you're safe."

Judson goes to the sink and gets a glass of water then sits down on the edge of the bed next to the still kneeling Mac. She gently lowers Gabe's head back down onto the pillow and his breathing starts to even out.

Gabe blinks a few times and seems to notice them for the first time. Judson gives him a few seconds then holds out the glass but Gabe shakes his head no. As Judson takes the glass back to the sink Mac gently wipes off his forehead and softly asks, "Are you okay?"

Gabe nods his head yes but doesn't say anything.

Judson returns to his seat and says, "Are you sure?"

Gabe blinks and takes a deep breath but still doesn't seem willing to talk. He shifts a little on the bed and grimaces in pain.

Judson reaches out and slowly moves Gabe's left arm onto the pillows positioned by his side while saying, "Take it easy don't move so much."

Gabe looks away from his two friends and says, "Sorry, I guess I shouldn't have come back so soon. You guys have better things to do than take care of me. I'll . . ."

"Your not gonna do anything but stay put in this bed. Do you hear me?" Mac is glaring at him and looks like she is ready to put her fist through a wall.

Judson places a hand on her shoulder to calm her and says, "Gabe would you please tell us what happened? We want to help. Just talk to us, don't shut us out!"

Gabe takes a deep breath then looks at them and says, "I'm sorry. There's nothing you guys can do about it anyway. So can we just forget about it?"

Mac picks up his right hand in hers and softly says, "Gabe please tell us what happened in Colorado. You're having nightmares and screaming out in your sleep. You can't keep this to yourself it's not gonna do you any good to keep it bottled up inside. Talk to us, please!"

But before Gabe can says anything his stomach starts to rumble very loudly reminding him and his friends that he hasn't eaten much in the last 24 hours.

Judson smiles and says, "Sounds like the first thing we need to do is get some food into you and then another antibiotic. Mac why don't you get started on the food and I'll help Gabe here get cleaned up and changed."

Gabe looks like he is about to object but then he notices that Mac is glaring at him again, so he wisely doesn't say anything. Mac nods her head and then slowly leaves the room.

With a little patience and some coaxing Judson is able to convince Gabe to allow him to help him to the bathroom. But Gabe insists that he is able to handle a shower and change by himself so Judson reluctantly agrees to wait outside, just in case.

But 15 minutes after Judson heard the water stop and still no sign of Gabe, he gets worried and calls out, "Are you okay in there?"

Gabe comes out of the bathroom and shuts the curtain. He's wearing a new pair of sweatpants and socks but doesn't have his shirt on. He's got a T-shirt draped over his right shoulder and his other clothes bundled up and in his right hand. Judson also notices that there are some faint bruises on his back and some darker ones on his left side.

"I'm fine. Sorry but it takes a little longer to do things with just the one hand."

Judson reaches out and says, "Give me those clothes. Come on it's back to bed for you."

Gabe reluctantly lets Judson lead him back to the infirmary. When they enter the room Judson points at the bed and says, "You in bed right now. I'll be back in a minute."

Gabe walks over to the bed and carefully sits down then begins to put his shirt on. He's finding it a little difficult since the cast restricts the fingers of his left hand. He's still struggling to finish getting the shirt on when Judson returns.

Judson sees his predicament and quickly reaches out while saying, "Here let me give you a hand with that."

Gabe looks up at him, and as Judson carefully pulls the shirt down the rest of the way, say, "Thanks."

Judson grins at him and says, "You're welcome. Now how about we get that sling back on."

He picks up the sling and helps Gabe get it on and secured then says, "Okay, come on put your feet up there and get comfortable. Cause you're not gonna be going anywhere for awhile."

Gabe simply nods his head then obeys, it seems he's finally decided to stop resisting his friends help and just go with it for now.

Mac comes in with 3 trays just as Judson is finishing helping Gabe and says; "Okay lunch is served. Sorry guys nothing fancy just sandwiches this time." As she places one of the trays across Gabe's lap she says, "Here you go kid and this time I want you to eat all of it."

Gabe looks down at the sandwich than says, "I'll try but I'm not making any promises. Could you hand me the bottle of antibiotics, please."

Judson grabs the medication and as he hands it over says, "Don't worry about it just eat what you can." As he grabs his tray from Mac he glares at her and whispers, "Mac take it easy."

Judson and Mac settle down in their chairs and they begin to eat their lunch. Every so often they glance up at Gabe, who is slowly eating his but it appears as if he's not really interested in it and is only doing it to please them.

Mac and Judson finish eating but Gabe has only eaten a little more than half of his.

When Judson gets up and takes Mac's tray he says, "How you doing there?"

Gabe swallows a small bite of his sandwich and says, "Okay." He takes another small bite but seems to have a hard time swallowing it.

Judson starts toward the door with the two trays and says, "Hey don't force yourself. I'll be back in a minute." Judson leaves the room with the trays and heads toward the kitchen.

Mac looks at Gabe with concern and says, "I was only kidding you don't have to finish it." She gets up and walks over to him; "Here how about I open that bottle for you." Mac takes the medicine bottle from his tray, opens it and hands him one of the pills while saying, "Let me take that. Unless you really want to finish it?"

Gabe takes the bottle of orange juice off the tray and says, "Thanks, I don't think I can eat anymore but I'll finish this."

Mac smiles at him and says, "Okay that's better for you anyway." Then she picks up the tray and heads for the doorway. "I'll be back in a minute. Don't go anywhere, Okay?"

Gabe nods his head, takes his medicine as he watches her leave then slides down until he is lying flat on his back and closes his eyes.

*******

Mac joins Judson in the kitchen and puts the tray down on the counter and says, "Well he ate a little more than half but hopefully he'll finish his orange juice."

Judson shakes his head and says, "Mac whatever happened in Colorado has been hard enough for him to handle. I don't want you going ballistic in there and upsetting him. You need to stay calm in front of him."

Mac looks at him and angrily says, "Judson I'd never do anything to hurt him and you know it!"

"See that's exactly what I mean. Mac that tone in your voice is what I'm talking about. He's worked with us long enough to know when we're angry and trying to conceal it. I don't want him getting upset, he's not strong enough right now."

Mac looks away from him and softly says; "I know that. Look I'll try my best okay."

Judson nods his head and says, "Okay, let's go see if we can get some answers." He puts his arm around her shoulders and gently steers Mac toward the infirmary.

*******

Mac and Judson slowly enter the infirmary and find Gabe lying down on the bed with his eyes closed and immediately stop in their tracks.

Mac looks at Judson and softly says, "Guess we're gonna have to wait for those answers!"

Judson raises an eyebrow at her and quietly replies; "Come on he needs the sleep more than we need answers."

But as they turn to leave they hear, "Guys, I'm not asleep. I was just resting my eyes."

Mac and Judson turn back to look at Gabe who now has his eyes open and is looking back at them. "What do you want to know?"

Judson and Mac walk back over to the bed, Mac sits on the edge and Judson takes a seat in one of the chairs.

Mac takes his right hand in hers and says, "Whatever you feel we need to know to help you!"

Gabe looks from Mac to Judson then back to her and says, "Okay but I . . . but first I need to ask you something."

When no question comes Judson leans forward and says, "All right. Shoot!"

"Why . . . Earlier you" Gabe looks away from them and takes a deep breath and slowly lets it out but doesn't begin again.

Realizing Gabe is struggling with the situation Judson motions to Mac to get up. When she does Judson sits down where she was and Mac takes his seat.

Gently Judson says, "Earlier what?"

Gabe finally looks at Judson and says, "Why were you guys so mad at me?"

Judson looks at Mac and sighs, "Okay now I'm a little confused. When was this? Gabe we've never been mad at you!"

Gabe looks at Mac and then Judson and says, "When I woke up earlier both of you were in the room. Mac was . . . I don't know had a hold of me or something and you both looked . . . pretty angry. Why?"

Judson looks confused and says, "Gabe we weren't mad at you. We were just," Judson looks at Mac not quite sure what to says next.

Mac leans forward and continues for him, "Gabe we were upset by some things you said in your sleep. We weren't mad at you, honest."

Judson finally looks back at Gabe and says; "Do you know what you said?"

Gabe shakes his head and says; "No . . . What did I say?"

"Well we were out in the sitting area when we heard you say 'No . . . stop it' then when we got in here we found you tossing around in the bed. After I got the sling undone you mumbled 'No. Just leave me alone. I don't." Judson stops to let Gabe absorb what he's been told.

Mac then says, "You were quiet for about a minute then you screamed 'Look out' and sat up breathing real heavy. Gabe we weren't mad at you we were just upset by what you were saying."

Gabe looks at Mac then Judson and blinks a couple of times then says, "I don't remember any of that. I don't understand. Why would . . ." Suddenly it dawns on him what they were thinking. "Wait guys you thing I was attacked, don't you?"

When Mac and Judson don't answer Gabe closes his eyes for a minute. He slowly opens them and says, "Guys really I wasn't attacked by anyone. I don't know what I was dreaming but I definitely wasn't attacked by anyone."

Gabe looks up at the ceiling for a moment then closes his eyes. Judson and Mac look at each other and both appear to be relieved but still confused about what their friend had said in his sleep.

After a moment Mac says, "Okay now we're a little confused. What happened then?"

Gabe takes a deep breath and slowly lets it out then he looks over at his two friends and says, "Well not much. It was pretty much the typical Patterson family gathering."

Judson looks at Mac then back to Gabe and says, "If this was a typical family gathering and you came back like this then I don't know if we're gonna let you visit your family again any time soon."

Gabe chuckles then says, "You won't get any argument out of me on that. I'm in no hurry to see my family again that's for sure."

Judson grins at Gabe and says, "Okay. But we still need some answers about what happened. How did you get hurt and I'm also curious about those bruises I saw earlier on your back and left side."

Mac looks at him with concern and says, "What bruises? When was this?"

Judson looks at Mac and says; "While you were getting lunch I noticed them when I was helping him get his shirt on."

"Guys I'm still here you know. Don't start . . ."

Mac and Judson turn their focus back on Gabe and when he doesn't continue Mac says, "Don't start what?"

Gabe looks at the ceiling and says, "Acting like my family and talking around me."

Judson looks at him shocked by what he's just said and says, "Sorry we didn't mean to . . ."

Gabe interrupts him, "I know. Look I'm sorry, I guess I'm still a little on edge after having to deal with all their crap. Just forget it."

Mac and Judson nod their heads and Gabe begins to tell them what happened.

*******

Flashback to the 20th of December -- Early Evening Vale airport

The airport is extremely crowded; Gabe slowly follows the rest of the passengers off the plane. When he walks through the doors at the end of the ramp he sees 3 men in dark suits waiting and knows immediately why they are there.

The older of the 3 men steps forward and says, "Gabriel Patterson I'm Mr. Donavan head of your fathers security team. Would you come with us please."

Gabe nods his head and says, "Donavan I still prefer Gabe so drop the Gabriel right now if you want me to co-operate. I take it the rest of the crew is already at the lodge?"

Donavan nods his head and says, "Yes, they went on ahead once we landed. These two men, Roberts and Quinn are going to be with you at all times when you aren't in your room. We'll drop the Gabriel but only when not in the presence of your father or other family member. Your father's in charge and he insist on given names, sorry but he calls the shots.

Gabe nods his head and slowly walks along side Donavan with Roberts besides him and Quinn walking behind them on the alert for trouble. After collecting Gabe's luggage the four of them walk out the sliding doors and approach one of two black SUV's parked at the curb. Donavan gets in the front next to the driver and Gabe gets in the backseat with one of his security guards on either side. During the drive to the lodge each of the security men give Gabe a lecture about not trying to ditch them.

By the time they arrive at the lodge Gabe looks a little angry. Once he steps out of the SUV Gabe sees a mob of reports begin to rush out of the lodge. But Gabe's security guards and 4 others who exit the second SUV surround him and practically lift him up off the ground in their haste to get him into the lodge and up the stairs. The mob of press follow them up the stairs but are stopped before they can enter the long hallway that leads to the suite where Gabe is directed to go.

Once inside the suite Donavan says, "Gabe your family is currently on the slopes and will be back in time for a late dinner. The lodge was overbooked so I'm afraid they don't have a room for you right now. But there are several bedrooms here in your parents suite." Donavan points down a short hallway and says, "So you can take your pick, your brother and sister are sharing a smaller suite next door."

Gabe nods at him and goes down the hall, picking the last room farthest from what could only be the master bedroom Gabe enters and tosses his backpack on the bed. He lies down on the bed and turns on the TV, then closes his eyes having decided to take a nap before dinner.


Several hours later

A knock at the door wakes him up and Gabe's sister, Catherine, enters the room while saying, "Gabriel dinner will be served in about 10 minutes you better come to the table." Without waiting for a reply she turns around and begins to leave.

Gabe gets up stretches then begins to leave the room. He follows the sound of voices and discovers his family already seated at a huge table. There's only one seat left next to his mother so he heads toward it.

"Why aren't we eating down stairs in the restaurant?" Gabe asks as he sits down.

Senator Patterson looks at his son with disapproval evident on his face and replies, "I figured it would be easier to eat up here. That way it will just be us, and the security detail won't have to constantly escort reporters out of the room."

As the Senator finishes speaking a knock is heard at the door and then Donavan enters followed by several people pushing carts that contain several covered dishes. The meal is served and then they leave.

The first few minutes of the meal is silent as the family begins to eat their meal but then Gabe's father says, "I talked to the Dean yesterday Gabriel and he said they've had several students drop out recently so I'm sure it could be arranged for you to start the next semester."

Gabe's brother, Michael looks up and says, "Why don't you stop wasting your time working with Cross and Previn."

"Yeah Gabe it's about time you started using all your intelligence for something important." Catherine, says while looking at her father.

Senator Patterson continues as if he was never interrupted, "It begins in a few weeks have you given any thought to when you might . . ."

Gabe is by now furious, he tosses his fork down on his plate just as his father is close to ending his sentence and angrily interrupts, "No I haven't. So just stop it right now, you're not going to convince me to quit what I'm doing. I'm enjoying it and I have no intentions of starting law school next semester or the semester after that."

Then he rushes out of the suite and all but jogs down the hallway. Before any of the security guards at the end of the hall can do anything he is going down the stairs.

Before he knows it he is at the bottom of the stairs and the mob of reporters is back. Once again they're shoving microphones and cameras in his face. From all areas of the lobby security guards descend on the unruly mob and wrestle with the frenzied reporters. Gabe is constantly getting hit in the back by either elbows or recording equipment. Finally the security team is able to surround him, practically lift him up of the ground and hastily head back to the suite.



Present time Vast Explorer

Gabe pauses to take a sip of his orange juice.

So Mac says, "Where were the security guards? Why didn't they keep them away from you?"

Gabe looks at her and says, "My father had told them we wouldn't be going anywhere after dinner so they weren't expecting anybody to leave. Most of them were in their rooms or eating dinner."

Judson says, "Is that were the bruises on your back came from?"

Gabe nods his head and then continues.



Flashback to the Patterson suite December 20th

Two security guards walk Gabe up to the door of his parents' suite. Donavan opens the door for him and Gabe walks in. Seeing his family still sitting at the table eating as if nothing had happened, Gabe shakes his head and heads directly to his room.

An hour later Senator Patterson storms into the room and as he slams the door angrily says, "Listen here young man, your attitude at the dinner table was very disrespectful and I will not tolerate it. While here with us you will conduct yourself appropriately, am I clear? You will not under any circumstances go anywhere without first notifying Mr. Donovan so security can be arranged and if I so much as hear one report of your trying to ditch your security guards you will regret it. Do I make myself clear?"

Gabe looks up at the ceiling and says, "Yes SIR!"

Gabe stays in his room the rest of the night watching TV for awhile then goes to sleep.

In the he morning gets up to find everyone has already left for the slopes or some other location so he decides to go out on his own, with of course his every present security detail and hit the slopes.

That evening starts just like the last one in the suite however Gabe's father never directly mentions his going to law school, instead the family discusses general law school stuff and some activities and items that the other siblings are involved with. Nobody questions Gabe about his work with Judson and Mac; they make it quite clear they don't approve by completely ignoring Gabe when he tries to tell them about some of their finds. Gabe quickly gets the hint and stops talking and focuses solely on his plate.



Present time Vast Explorer

"So that's how most of the vacation went. I alternated between skiing and learning to snowboard by day. We'd grab a quick lunch in the café then hit the slopes again. At least the security guys were decent skiers and since the reporters were denied access to the slopes we only had to deal with them at the lodge when we would come and go. Nights were spent suffering through family dinners listening to them talk about anything and everything. Then reading or watching endless TV alone in my room until I went to sleep. ."

Gabe pauses to take another sip of orange juice, Judson and Mac exchange looks and Judson says, "What about the holiday's surely they had to have been better?"

Gabe shakes his head and says, "You're forgetting the Patterson's aren't a normal family."



Part 4

Flashback Christmas morning Patterson Suite

Gabe wakes up in his room when the sun begins to peek through the curtains. He gets up and after cleaning up in the connecting bathroom rummages around in his suitcase until he finds the presents he has brought for his family. Taking the 4 small wrapped boxes with him he exits the bedroom and walks out to the sitting area were a small tree is set up and sparingly decorated.

Gabe's parents are already sitting on the couch reading part of that day's paper. Michael and Catherine are also there but they are sitting on chairs reading magazines.

Everyone looks up when they hear him approach and Gabe says, "Morning Merry Christmas!"

His family returns the greeting as they go back to reading. Gabe goes over to the tree and puts his gifts under it then goes toward the table and grabs a roll and gets a cup of coffee. Since nobody has moved from their seat Gabe sits at the table and eats his small breakfast while looking out the window at the quiet slopes.

Once he finishes his meal he gets up and as he walks toward the only empty chair casually says, "Doesn't seem to be any activity out there. The ski lifts not even running."

Senator Patterson looks up from his paper and says, "The slopes are closed for the day so the employees can spend time with their families. Your Aunt and Uncle's will be here around noon for the traditional family get together and meal. Once they get here you will have more than enough to do. Since Gabriel is finally up why don't we exchange gifts.

Gabe's mother looks up and as she folds her section of paper says, "That sounds like an excellent idea dear. Kids why don't we do yours first."

The three kids get up and get the presents they had brought for their parents. As they hand over their presents they shake the Senator's hand and kiss their mother on the cheek then take their seats again.

When Gabe's open the presents from Michael and Catherine they lavish them with praise for their generous gift but when they open his they only say thank you and close the boxes. Gabe knows he didn't spend as much as his siblings but he had spent a lot of time and effort to find something nice for them. His parents were hard to buy for, since they had more money than they could ever hope to spend they were never wanting for anything. So Gabe had bought something they could use if they wish, his father had gotten a beautiful gold pen set and his mother an exquisite broach.

Margaret Patterson then gets up and walks over to the tree. She pulls several boxes out from under it and hands them Catherine, then she does the same for Michael but when it comes to Gabe she only pulls out one small box and three envelopes.

Catherine goes first then Michael; they each received a sweatshirt for the University they were or had attended, an expensive piece of jewelry for Catherine and an equally expensive watch for Michael and some expensive perfume or cologne from their parents. Both of his siblings open Gabe's present last, Michael received a pen set similar to his fathers and Catherine received a gold locket. Once again Gabe's gift was received with a simple thank you.

When Gabe's turn comes he decides to open the box first and finds a small gold key chain with a compass attached to it. He looks up and sees for a brief second a smile on his mother's face, he knows instantly it is from her but isn't quite sure what to make of it. Gabe thanks her and says it will come in handy. Next he opens one of the envelopes and finds a simple Christmas card, when he opens it he finds a gift card for an online computer store and the card is signed simply, Michael, who he also thanks. When Gabe opens the next envelope he finds another Christmas card that contains yet again a gift card for the same on line computer store as Michael's. The card is signed, With Love Dad, but Gabe recognizes the writing as his mothers. Gabe looks up at his father and thanks him but his father once again is reading the paper and doesn't even acknowledge him.

Gabe looks down at the final envelope and opens it, inside is a card but it isn't a holiday card it's obviously handmade and has several small prints of some of the locations that Gabe has been too in the past year. Gabe looks up at his sister with a stunned look on his face and she gives him a small smile and nods at him. Gabe looks back at the card and opens it, inside he finds a few more prints but this time they are the artifacts found at the locations from the outside. Folded up inside is a check and written on the card is a small note, Take your friends out for dinner on me, Love Catherine. Gabe looks up at his sister with tears in his eyes and after a brief pause says, "Thank you I will!"

Gabe's mother having seen the exchange between brother and sister says, "Okay why don't you take care of those things. The family should start arriving soon so we should get ready."

Two hours later and the suite is full of people, Gabe is standing near the window looking out at the empty slopes. After a few minutes he walks away from the window and slowly makes another walk through the room stopping occasionally to smile and nod when he is spoken too. Most of the time the inquiry is about law school and Gabe quickly gives a non-committal response then moves on. Realizing he won't be missed he quietly opens the door and slips out.

Donavan sees him coming out of the suite and says, "Where are you going?"

Gabe shrugs his shoulders and says, "I thought I'd go for a walk and get some fresh air if that's alright with you?"

Donavan nods his head and informs him that the reporters have taken the day off so he can wander around as much as he wants with out any security.

After wandering around for hours Gabe heads back to the suite, he enters without anybody even noticing and grabs a quick bite at the buffet set up by the windows then slips away to his room once again unnoticed.



Present time Vast Explorer

Gabe pauses once again and drinks the last of his orange juice.

Judson takes the empty bottle and as he walks toward the trashcan Mac says, "Sounds like your sister might be getting through to you mother a little."

Gabe shrugs his shoulders and says, "I guess. Somehow I get the feeling Catherine's the one who bought the key chain and didn't tell her what it was, just had her sign the tag. Doesn't matter."

Judson returns to his spot on the bed and says, "Well it's a move in the right direction, huh. Maybe with Catherine on your side she can get the rest of your family to come around."

Gabe shakes his head and says, "I wouldn't count on it guys. My families not that easy to convince. I didn't take the Patterson path and what my father wants he gets. It's his way or else."

Mac gives him a small smile and says, "Did you at least have a good time at a New Years eve party?"

Gabe shakes his head and says, "No I spent the day in the suite by myself. My parents went to some Senator's house for some fundraising party he was throwing, Michael and Catherine went along but I decided to pass. I didn't feel like putting on a fake smile and mingling with a bunch of strangers. So I hung out at the lodge, walked around the place a couple of times since the reporters weren't there and enjoyed the peace and quiet. I even managed to read an entire book, finished it just before midnight and then went to bed.

Mac notices he's gotten a little pale and says, "Gabe you look kind of tired. How about you take one of those pills now and get a little sleep? You can finish this later!"

Gabe shakes his head and says; "I'm okay really. Besides if I take one of those now I'll probably sleep until tomorrow and you guys have been tearing yourself up about this since I got back."

Judson looks like he is about to says something but Gabe says, "Don't try to deny it cause I won't buy it.

Gabe takes a deep breath then begins again, "Everything hit the fan on the second . . ."



Flashback January 2nd

Gabe wakes up to find sun shining brightly into the room. He gets out of bed and after getting a shower and changing into ski clothes exits his room. The suite is once again deserted, but a small tray of rolls and some coffee are waiting at the table. After grabbing a quick bite Gabe exits the suite and is once again met by Donavan.

"Your family and some of their friends have gone into town. They won't be back until late. I want you to be careful today the reporters are back and they seem to be trying to get to some of the areas we have been denying them access to."

Gabe nods his head and says, "Fine, I'm gonna spend most of the day on the slopes, I want to see if I can master the snowboard. Hope Roberts and Quinn are ready."

When Gabe reaches the end of the hall he is met by his guards and after a brief discussion they head out to the slopes.

As Gabe and his two guards reach the end of the beginner's slope for the 10th time Gabe releases his binders on the snowboard and as he picks it up says, "Okay guys enough of this easy slope let's try a different one."

As they walk toward the ski lift Gabe notices 3 reports seem to be following them and they are carrying skis. He points it out to Roberts and he gets on his radio and notifies Donavan.

As Gabe gets on the ski lift with his two guards on either side of him he hears shouting behind them but doesn't turn around to see what is going on.

Suddenly Roberts says, "Donavan's team was able to stop those three reporters but one of them says he saw two other reporters head up the slope about a half hour ago. So don't go anywhere when we get to the top. Donavan's team has to get their equipment so it might take them a while to catch up to us."

When they get to the top the three men get off the chair and move off to the side. Gabe puts his goggles down and checks his bindings while Roberts and Quinn quietly discuss what to do.

Gabe looks at them and with frustration in his voice says, "Look you guys can stand around here and wait if you want but I'm going down."

Quinn tries to stop him but Gabe manages to lean out of his reach and begins to head down the mountain. At first he's going slow still not too sure of his technique but soon he begins to pick up speed. His two guards struggle to get their ski's back on. Suddenly Gabe is about a quarter of the way down the slope going a little too fast and struggling to slow down. He turns his head slightly to the right and sees someone coming directly at him. Gabe tries to wave them off thinking it is one of his guards but they keep coming, then everything goes black.


Gabe's eyes slowly flicker open and he sees a women in a uniform hovering over him. He's in a lot of pain and can't seem to really focus his eyes, he's in a lot of pain and is wearing a cervical collar and strapped to a backboard. Gabe can hear sirens and realizes he's in an ambulance, but he can't remember anything but being on the ski slope any slowly heading down the mountain.

As his eyes begin to close he hears the women say, "Hey there Gabriel, don't try to move okay. My name is Bonnie and we'll be at the hospital in a minute. You're gonna be just fine."


Once again Gabe's eyes slowly open this time he finds himself in a bed, obviously in a hospital since he has an IV taped to his right arm and he can hear a beeping noise. He's no longer wearing the cervical collar and he's not in any pain but he feels kinds of numb.

Suddenly Donavan appears next to the bed and says, "Don't worry the doctors says you're gonna be fine. A reporter collided with you on the slope but it's not too serious."

The door to his room opens and a doctor walks up to the bed, "Ah Mr. Patterson finally awake I see. Well as Mr. Donavan has probably told you, you're going to be just fine. You have a concussion, some bruises and both bones in your left forearm are broken. That will need to be taken care of tomorrow in surgery. I'll explain all about it tomorrow when you're more alert. I spoken to your parents and they have given temporary consent for any treatment by telephone, they'll sign the papers when they get here later. But right now you should get some rest."

Without waiting for any questions Gabe might have the doctor immediately turns and leaves the room. Gabe is in too tired to care so he slowly closes his eyes and falls into a drug induced sleep.


Once again Gabe slowly opens his eyes, he finds the room lit by a small light above his bed and realizes it must be nighttime. Suddenly the door to his room opens and his parents enter. They are both dressed in formal wear and neither looks very pleased.

As they approach his bed his mother asks simply, "How are you doing dear?"

Before Gabe can even reply she leans down and gives him a quick kiss on the cheek and says, "Sorry I can't stay. It's late and I need to get back to the lodge too check on a few things for tomorrow. Goodnight."

As she quickly leaves the room the Senator clears his throat to get Gabe's attention and says, "I've already spoken to the security detail and the local police. The reporter who caused this accident has been arrested for trespassing, he was fined and released."



Present day Vast Explorer

Gabe pauses and takes deep breath then slowly lets it out. He closes his eyes and shifts a little on the bed. He grits his teeth obviously in pain.

Judson looks down at him with concern and says, "I think that's enough for now. You're gonna take one of these pills and get some rest. You can finish this later."

Gabe doesn't say anything, he continues to grit his teeth and keep his eyes closed.

Judson looks at Mac and can tell she is starting to get angry. He glares at her and mouths the words, 'Mac stay calm. Don't loose it.' Mac glares at him and nods her head.

Gabe slowly opens his eyes and says, "I'm okay, besides there's not much left to tell . . ."



Flashback to the hospital

Senator Patterson continues to drone on seemingly unaware of his son's pain and discomfort, "I've already discussed this matter with the owner of the newspaper. He has assured me that the reporter will be fired as soon as he returns to the office. They have agreed to pay for all the medical expenses incurred as a result of their employee's negligence and I have agreed not to sue. The papers are being drawn up at this moment and I will sign them first thing in the morning. Since you will obviously be unable to use your left arm and hand for a considerable amount of time I have had a clause added to cover it. Mr. Cross will need to contact the newspaper when you return and finalize those figures, the paper has assured me their complete co-operation so you needn't worry about it, your BOSS will compensated in full. I need to get back to the lodge, take care."

The Senator quickly spins around on the heel of his shoe and rapidly exits the room. Gabe watches the door close then closes his eyes and falls into a deep sleep.



Part 5

January 3rd -- Early Morning

As the sun comes up the next morning it fills Gabe's room with a bright light and he opens his eyes just as the doctor comes in.

"Morning Mr. Patterson, I'm Dr. Wagner I talked to you briefly yesterday. Well everything is looking good, a nurse will be in to give you a sedative shortly and then we will get you down to surgery. As I mentioned yesterday both your Radius and Ulna were broken in the collision and the subsequent fall you took. Fortunately the pieces of bone aren't too small so with some screws and a plate for each I should be able to reconstruct them. You need not worry this type of injury is one of my specialties and within a couple of weeks you'll be as good as new."

Before Gabe can open his mouth to ask any questions the door to his room opens and a nurse walks in. "Ah here she is now. Well I better head downstairs and get ready. Just relax and when you wake up it will be all over."

The doctor quickly leaves the room and the nurse approaches the bed. She lowers her tray onto Gabe's nightstand and quickly inserts the needle into the shunt of his IV, "Just relax Mr. Patterson and close your eyes. You'll be just fine."

Gabe continues to watch her as she pulls the needle out and as she heads to the door his vision begins to blur and his eyes close.


Several hours later

Gabe's eyes slowly flutter open, after several attempts he finally gets them to focus on a figure sitting next to his bed and recognizes it as the nurse from earlier.

Seeing his eyes are open she stands up and says, "Well hello there, it's about time you woke up. Don't worry the surgery went just fine. Dr. Wagner will be in to see you tomorrow he's got several other procedures today so he'll talk to you then about what to expect. Your parents called a few minutes ago, they said their sorry but they won't be able to make it over today but maybe later tonight. Why don't you close your eyes and get some sleep. If you need anything just hit the call button by your right hand."

Gabe closes his eyes and goes back to sleep for a couple of hours and when he opens his eyes this time his brother Michael is walking through the door.

As he approaches the bed Michael says, "Well fine mess you got yourself into this time. You shouldn't have taken off you know. Just came by to see if you needed anything. Well do you?"

A still groggy Gabe simply says, "No!"

Before Gabe can says anything else Michael replies, "Good. Well I have to go. There's a ton of people at the lodge and the folks are really busy. Dad's working on his re-election image, so I need to get back. You're gonna miss one heck or a party." As he walks toward the door he looks back over his shoulder and says, "You know, you should send mother some flowers since you're missing her party. Try to stay out of trouble tonight."

With that said he walks out the door. It doesn't stay closed for long cause almost immediately Roberts and Quinn walk into the room.

Quinn nods at him and then walks over to one of the chairs and sits down. Roberts walks over to the bed and says, "Hey kid thought we'd come in here and keep you company. If you need anything let us know."

He then joins Quinn who has taken out a deck of cards and they begin to play a came of gin. After a minute Roberts gets up, turn on the TV and puts on the news. Gabe closes his eyes and goes back to sleep. A couple of hours later he wakes up and has a typically awful hospital meal and watches TV for a while then drifts back to sleep.


Next time he opens his eyes it's morning and his breakfast is waiting, upon lifting the cover Gabe finds an unpleasant looking lump of eggs and some dry toast. Gabe pushes the tray aside but takes the glass of orange juice and drains it.

Gabe looks around the room and discovers his security guards are gone then a nurse comes in and offers to help him get cleaned up and changed into some clothes. She explains that his sister had dropped them off at the desk earlier and she didn't want to disturb him since he was asleep. Gabe of course insists on taking his shower without help and manages to get all of his clothes on except his shirt. With his left arm in the cast and the painful bruises on his left side he is finding it difficult to maneuver into the shirt on his own.

Reluctantly he leaves the bathroom and asks the nurse to help him. She smiles politely and quickly helps him get the shirt on, then a sling and as she is tying his shoes for him the doctor enters the room.

As he walks toward Gabe Dr. Wagner is looking through a folder when he reaches the bed he says, "Okay Mr. Patterson everything looks good here. Your vitals are strong and there doesn't appear to be any sign of complications."

He closes the folder and hands it to the nurse as she passes him on her way out of the room.

"I've made a copy of your file for you, your doctor will need it when you get home. I also have some instructions for you to follow until you can schedule an appointment and two prescriptions, follow the instructions on the bottles and call if you have any questions. You'll need to see your doctor in 2 weeks to get this cast and your stitches removed. Depending on the x-rays you may need to be re- casted for a couple of weeks. Your bones won't be completely healed for about 4 months and you'll have to be careful about lifting any heavy objects but after that you should be as good as new." Dr. Wagner hands him 2 envelopes 1 with his name on it and the other simply says, medical records.

Once again the doctor doesn't wait to see if Gabe has any questions and simply turns to leave. As he reaches the door it begins to open and Donavan enters followed by a nurse pushing a wheel chair.

"Hi Gabe how you doing?"

Gabe looks at Donavan and replies, "Okay I guess? What's with the wheelchair I can walk?"

The nurse informs him it is hospital policy and insists that he sit in it, then she hands him some forms with a pen and asks him to sign them. After Gabe signs the forms she begins to push him towards the door. Donavan opens the door for them and the nurse proceeds to take them to the lobby. Once they arrive at the main entrance the nurse stops the wheelchair and tells Gabe to be careful and follow all of the doctor's instructions.

Donavan holds the back door of the SUV open for Gabe and he carefully gets in, followed by Donavan.

As they pull away from the hospital Donavan says, "We stopped by last night but it was pretty late and you were asleep."

Gabe looks at him stunned and says, "We who?"

Donavan looks at him and says, "Your folks and I of course. They talked to the doctor again and he assures them you're gonna be fine."

Gabe still looks a little shocked and says, "Surprised they even bothered. Glad to hear the doctor talks to somebody. He didn't stick around and see if I had any questions."

Donavan replies, "Hey they would have been there if they didn't have that party already planned. It wouldn't have looked good if they had missed the party they were hosting. Guess the doctor figured your folks would fill you in."

Gabe looks out the window and says, "Yeah I guess."

The rest of the trip back to the ski lodge is done in silence. When they reach the lodge Donavan opens the door and waits for Gabe to exit the vehicle then he leads Gabe through the lobby and instead of heading for the stairs proceeds to go down a hallway and stops at a room. Donavan pulls out a key, unlocks the door and motions Gabe inside.

Gabe enters the room and finds his father sitting in a chair reading a newspaper. On one of the double beds is Gabe's luggage.

The Senator stands up and tosses the paper down onto the chair and motions for Gabe to take a seat on the other bed.

After Gabe sits down the Senator begins to speak, "Gabriel I talked to the doctor last night and he told me everything went just fine. I think it's best if you stay in this room that way you won't have to be going up and down any stairs and risk falling, further injuring yourself. I want you to stay in your room and rest, if you want or need anything call the front desk. Some friends who couldn't make it last night have arrived and we will be entertaining them through the evening. House security will be keeping an eye out for any reporters since I've had to reassign your guards to Senator Wilson's son."



Present time Vast Explorer

Gabe shrugs his shoulder and quietly says, "After he left I figured there was no reason to hang around so I called the airline and was able to trade my ticket for a flight out right away. I called a cab and walked out of the lodge. I couldn't remember what time Mac's flight was so when I got in to the airport I just took a cab here. That's it."

Mac struggles to contain her emotions then calmly says, "Nobody noticed you walking out with a cast on one arm and your suitcase in the other?"

Gabe shrugs his shoulders and says, "I didn't take any luggage with me, all I had was my backpack over my shoulder. Besides my room was close to an exit and I didn't exactly have to go out through the lobby."

Judson looks down at Gabe and says, "Let me guess you told the cab company to send the guy to that exit and not the lobby. Right?"

Gabe just shrugs his shoulders and gives him a small grin.

Mac shakes her head and says; "Smart kid. Did you happen to leave your folks a note or message telling them where you were going?"

Gabe looks straight at her and replies, "No I didn't and at this point I don't care. If you guys don't mind I'd like to get some sleep now. My arm's really beginning to throb so I better take one of those pills."

Judson gets up to get him a glass of water while Mac opens the pill bottle and takes one out.

Mac takes the glass from Judson then hands Gabe the pain medication. After Gabe puts the pill in his mouth Mac helps him sit up a little and holds the glass for him as he drinks some water.

After Mac lowers him back down onto the pillows Judson says, "Gabe before you fall asleep you need to remove that sling, we don't need you choking yourself with it."

Gabe moves his right hand toward the quick release buckle but Judson says, "Hey just close your eyes, I'll do it."

Judson gets the buckle undone and then carefully slides the strap out from under his head. He leaves the casted arm in the sleeve of the sling but positions it onto the pillows by Gabe's side while saying; "Get some sleep. Mac or I will be within ear shot just give a shout if you need anything. Okay?"

A half-asleep Gabe replies, "Yeah!"

Judson looks at Gabe not realizing he had already been drifting off. Mac pushes Judson out of the way and carefully covers Gabe with a blanket then she grabs the sleeve of Judson's T-shirt and pulls him toward the doorway. They slowly walk out into the sitting room were they both take seats and contemplate the events of Gabe's vacation.

*******

After sitting still for about 10 minutes Mac gets up and begins to pace the sitting area. She looks at Judson and says, "You know I used to think that rich kids had it made when I was growing up. But after working with Gabe all this time and now hearing how his family treated him the last few weeks I think they've got it worse than the rest of us."

Judson looks up at her and says, "Yeah I know what you mean. The last two weeks really tore him up. I don't even want to think how they might have treated him when he was younger."

Mac nods her heads and then realizing what time it is says, "Wow look what time it is! What do you want for dinner?"

Judson shrugs his shoulder and says, "I'll order some take out. If Gabe wakes up before it gets to late we can re-heat it for him.

Just as Judson pulls his cell phone out of his shirt pocket it rings. Judson looks at Mac and raises an eyebrow at her.

He hits the button to take the call and says, "Hello!"

Mac can tell it's a women's voice on the other end of the line but can't understand what is being said so she moves closer to Judson.

"Yes Mrs. Patterson Gabe is here. No you"

Mac reaches out and angrily grabs the phone out of his hand and with a lot of anger in her voices says, "No you can't talk to him. He's sleeping soundly and there is no way we are going to wake him up for you to harass. You obviously don't care that much about him since it took you almost two full days to realize he was missing."

Judson tries to take the phone away from her but Mac is not ready to give it up and constantly moves away from him while saying, "We will tell him you called when he's recovered from his two week ordeal in Colorado. But not until he's strong enough, to deal with whatever else you might throw at him. GOODNIGHT!!"

Mac angrily stabs at the disconnect button then tosses the phone back to Judson who is staring at her with his mouth open.

"Don't say a word Judson I mean it. He could have stayed here with you for the holidays but he didn't want to miss his mother's party and upset her. That's the type of thing you do for a family member. But when he gets hurt do they stay with him no, they continue with their plans and party while he's in the hospital."

Mac finally stops moving and Judson leads her to the couch, sits her down then says, "I know and believe me I would love to yell my head off at both of his parents but I don't think it's gonna do any good. They're too focused on status and their image, it's how they live their lives. Gabe's gotta come first right now and I don't want to do or say anything that might cause them to show up here."

Mac nods her head and says, "Don't worry they'll never show up here this isn't high class enough for them." Mac gives him a small smile.

Judson gives her a grin and says, "Very funny. I just don't want to take any chances. If we tick them off and they show up here, Gabe just might take off and in his current condition I don't think it's a good idea and I don't just mean physically. I'll call for dinner, you set the table."

*******

A couple of hours later Judson and Mac are sitting at the table playing cards when they hear coughing coming from down the hallway. Judson looks at Mac and they both get up and head toward the infirmary. When they enter the room they find Gabe sitting up coughing.

Judson immediately goes to the sink and gets a glass of water while Mac goes to Gabe.

Mac sits down on the edge of the bed and feels his forehead to see if he has a fever while saying, "Easy, everything's okay."

Judson walks over with the glass of water and hands it to Gabe, he takes a couple of sips then says, "Thanks." Gabe moves back and leans against the headboard.

Mac puts her hand on his leg and says, "Gabe do you feel up to eating anything? It's not to late and you really need to eat something so you can take your antibiotic."

Gabe slowly says, "I'll try but I'm not sure if I can eat too much, I'm not real hungry."

Judson looks at him with concern and say, "You've got to eat something too keep up your strength. We got some Chinese for dinner, do you want some of that or would you prefer something else."

Gabe looks at Mac then Judson and says, "I'll pass on the Chinese I don't think my stomach could handle it. If you don't mind I'd prefer a sandwich."

Mac ruffles his hair and says, "One sandwich coming up. I'll be back in a little bit."

After Mac leaves Gabe lifts the blanket and slowly moves to get out of bed.

Judson clears his throat and says, "Where do you think you're going?"

Gabe quietly says, "The bathroom."

Judson gives him a half smile and says, "Okay but first lets connect that sling and get your arm elevated."

Gabe tries to grab the strap but Judson manages to get it first and quickly puts it over his right shoulder and carefully helps Gabe move the sleeve with his arm in it up till the buckle pieces meet and can be secured. Then Judson moves to his right side and helps Gabe get up.

Gabe quietly says, "Thanks Judson. I think I can make it on my own from here."

Judson nods and says, "Okay but I'm gonna stay close just in case."

Gabe shakes his head and as he slowly begins to walk out of the room says, "You guys really are over doing it. I'm okay, really. Just a little tired and sore."

Judson quietly follows Gabe, waits outside in the hall for Gabe to come out then says, "Look Mac and I are concerned about you. When you collapsed it really scared us. We're here and we want to help, that's what family is for."

As Gabe walks toward his bed in the infirmary he says, "Guess my family missed the memo on that."

Judson helps him get settled in bed and says, "Unfortunately I don't think there was a memo to miss." Judson sits down on the edge of the bed and says; "Most people learn it from their own parents as they grow up."

Gabe looks at him and says, "A little hard to do when you're being sent off to boarding school all the time and they definitely don't have a course on it there. At least they didn't at any of them that I went too, so I guess there's not much hope for me."

Judson smiles at him and says, "You're a natural at caring Gabe so I don't want to hear you say that again."

"Yeah I second that. Gabe you're the most caring person I've ever met."

Judson and Gabe look up and see Mac standing a foot away with a tray in her hands.

"One sandwich as requested and to wash it down a nice big glass of milk." She walks over and places the tray across Gabe's lap then takes a seat.

"Now that's what I call service. Dig in kid and don't forget to take your medicine." Judson grins at him then gets up and says, "Mac why don't you keep him company while I go clean up the kitchen."

Mac smiles and says, "About time you clean it up. You know I think some of that mess was there weeks ago."

Judson starts to leave and says, "I cleaned the kitchen several times while you were gone so watch it or you're on KP duty for the next month."

As he leaves the room Mac yells, "Yeah right. Just like you cleaned the bathroom." Mac smiles at Gabe and says, "How's the sandwich?"

Gabe swallows and says, "Okay, thanks." Gabe takes a small bite and begins to chew.

Mac grins at him and says, "Just okay? I slaved over that sandwich and you say it's okay!"

Gabe swallows then says, "Mac it's only a sandwich, it took you what 5 minutes to slap it together. You have to spend at least 15 minutes on something before it's more than okay."

Mac and Gabe continue to banter back and forth until he's done eating his sandwich.

After he's swallowed the last bite Mac stands up and takes the tray while saying, "Well it must have been better than just okay, you finished it. Now finish your milk and take your medicine."

As she begins to walk away Gabe smiles wickedly and says, "Yes madam!"

Mac spins around and glares at him but starts laughing as she walks out of the room.

*******

Mac is still smiling when she walks into the kitchen and sees Judson nonchalantly wiping down the counter with a sponge.

As she puts down the tray Judson looks up at her and says, "What? I'm cleaning see."

Mac shakes her head and says, "You're pretending to clean, there's a difference. Besides that's not why I'm smiling." She walks over to the fridge and pulls out 2 beers while saying, "Gabe finished his sandwich and he's starting to joke around a little."

Judson takes the beer she holds out to him and says, "Thanks. That's good to hear. Give him some more time, before we know it he'll be back to his usual self." He tosses the sponge down on the counter and they walk out to the sitting area.

Mac sits down on the couch and says, "Well it won't be soon enough for me. It really tears me up to know while I was having such a great time in Rome he was in Vale and being treated like a complete stranger by his own family."

Judson sits down next to her, puts his arm around her shoulder and says, "Come on Mac you were on vacation you were supposed to be having fun. You had no way of knowing what Gabe was going through. Neither of us did, we can't dwell on it. Let's just worry about the present and give him the support he needs right now. We may not be blood relatives but we're a family here and that's what he needs to know and feel."

Mac grins at him and says, "Yes, Pa!"

Judson chuckles and says, "Hey I'm not that old, I'm more the big brother type."

Mac takes a sip of her beer and smiles, "Okay bro. Why don't you go check on Gabe, see if he needs anything and then I'll clean you out at cards again."

Judson gets up but only takes 2 steps toward the hallway when he hears footsteps on the stairs. Not expecting anyone he turns around and looks at Mac who has also heard the noise and is starting to stand.

Before Mac can says anything Lieutenant Costa and 2 police offices enter the room. Judson moves to stand next to Mac and
says, "Lieutenant What can we do for you?"

Costa smiles at him and sarcastically says, "Relocate to Florida, but in the mean time I'm here to investigate the disappearance of Gabriel Patterson and also possible charges against the 2 of you."


Part 6

Mac angrily says, "What?"

Judson grabs Mac's shoulder and calmly says, "Lieutenant, Gabe is here and has been here for almost 2 days. You know darn well he works and lives here. I don't know who called you but they certainly didn't tell you everything."

Costa casually looks around the sitting room and says, "Look Cross, Previn I'm just following my orders. My superiors got several calls and they said Patterson disappeared from his room in Vale Colorado under suspicious circumstances. So here I am. He'll just have to come down to headquarters until I get this straightened out. Now where is he?"

Before Judson can say anything Mac angrily says, "Gabe isn't going anywhere with you so forget it Costa! He's a legal adult and he had every right to come and go as he pleases without notifying anyone."

Judson grips her shoulder and interrupts, "Mac lower your voice and calm down. Lieutenant I know your just trying to do your job but you don't have all the facts. Why don't we go topside and we'll try to straighten this out?"

Costa glares at them and sternly says, "Look Cross you don't seem to understand, this is a missing persons case. And this missing person is the son of a US Senator. So stop interfering, if you know where he is tell us or be arrested for obstructing a police investigation. Now which is it?"

"Neither. I'm right here Lieutenant."

Stunned Judson and Mac turn around and see a very pale Gabe standing in the hallway leaning to the right with his hand against the wall.

Mac turns and glares at Costa and the police officers while saying, "Are you satisfied Lieutenant!!"

Judson quickly walks up to Gabe and carefully positions himself between the wall and the young man. He then pulls Gabe's arm around his shoulders and helps him walk the rest of the way into the sitting room and over to a chair. Mac moves to help Gabe settle in the chair and stands by his left side while Judson stands on his right.

Noticing how pale Gabe looks Costa softly says, "Are you all right Gabriel?"

Gabe looks up at him and says, "I've been better and drop the Gabriel would you, only my parents and strangers call me that. It's Gabe or nothing, all right?"

Costa nods his head and says, "Okay. Officers why don't you go back to the patrol car and report that we've found him. I'll be out in a few minutes."

As the officers leave Judson says, "Lieutenant can't this wait until tomorrow? It's late and Gabe really needs to rest."

Gabe looks up at him and says, "It's okay Judson. He's just doing his job. Let's get this over with."

Mac crouches down next to him and says, "Gabe it can wait till tomorrow. You don't have to talk to him now."

Gabe shakes his head at her and says, "Might as well, I'm up and he's here. Lieutenant why don't you take a seat."

Judson motions him to the couch and Costa takes a seat while saying, "Gabe I'm sorry to intrude but I need to get some answers for my report. I'll try to keep it brief and just get the specifics now but I might need to come back and get some more details. Okay?"

Gabe nods his head and the Lieutenant says, "All right the first question is how did you get here?"

Gabe looks straight at the Lieutenant and says, "I took a cab from the lodge to the airport and then another cab here on the 4th."

Mac glares at Costa and says, "See no big mystery."

Costa looks at her and says, "I still have to check into it. Do you happen to know the name of the cab companies?"

Gabe leans back in the chair and says, "No it wasn't really that high up on my list of things to remember. Look Lieutenant you can call the lodge and get the number that I called I'm sure it's on the list with the room charges. As far as the cab I took here I doubt it really matters. I'm a legal adult I took a cab to the airport exchanged MY plane ticket and when I got in I grabbed the first cab I saw when I walked out the doors of the terminal and came here. Nothing illegal happened end of story."

Costa closes his notebook and says, "Okay I'll look into this. Do you know of any reason why somebody would say you disappeared under mysterious circumstances?"

Gabe looks him straight in the eye and says, "Yeah because I didn't obey orders and stay in my room. Lieutenant look, just call your superiors and tell them you found me at home safe and sound. No harm no foul. I doubt my father wants the press to find out what happened. If you make out a report they'll definitely start investigating."

Costa shakes his head and says, "I'm afraid it's not that easy, your father's an extremely important man so this has got to be done by the book. We'll simply deal with the press later if need be. Where you hurt before or after you returned?"

Gabe replies, "Before. Tell your superiors that if the press starts looking into this, they might find out some things that if revealed will make a re-election campaign a little difficult to win. So before you put anything in writing you better call my FATHER." Gabe is clenching his teeth when he says the last word.

Judson notices so he takes a step toward the Lieutenant and says, "That's enough Costa. Call your superiors, the Senator and whoever else you need to talk too. Gabe's been through enough the last few weeks right now he should be resting not getting interrogated by you. Now if you don't mind it's late and we'd like to turn in."

Costa stands and says, "Okay but I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't leave town until I get this cleared up. That goes for all of you."

Mac stands and glares at him as he walks toward the stairs then she says; "Okay now it's bed for you and a pain pill chaser."

Judson kneels down and carefully grabs Gabe's right arm, puts it around his shoulders and slowly begins to stand. Then they slowly start to walk toward the infirmary.

Gabe groans and Judson stops in his tracks, "You okay?"

"Yeah, bathroom first then my cabin."

Judson once again begins to slowly walk down the hall. A few steps away from the bathroom Gabe says, "I can manage on my own. I don't need an audience guys."

Judson stops and slowly ducks out from under Gabe's arm and as he begins to slide the curtain open Mac says, "What do you need from your cabin I'll get it?"

As Gabe slides the curtain closed behind him he sarcastically says, "I don't think you can move the bunk Mac!"

Judson looks at Mac and smiles while shrugging his shoulders and she heads toward Gabe's cabin. After a few minutes Gabe exits the bathroom and finds Judson waiting against the wall.

Gabe gives him a half grin and says, "Where'd Mac go?"

Judson smiles and says, "Boy wouldn't you like to know? Come on let's get you into bed, it's late and I don't know about you but I need some sleep."

Gabe slowly enters his cabin and finds Mac waiting patiently. He shakes his head at her and says, "Should have known you'd be here. Let me guess Florence Nightingale has my medicine and it looks like she even made the bed."

Mac gently smacks him in the back of the head and says, "Get in to bed wise guy."

Gabe slowly sits down on the edge of the bed and says, "Hey watch it, concussion remember."

Mac ruffles his hair and says, "I remember that's why I hardly touched you. Now stop stalling and get into bed."

Judson hands Mac a glass of water and she in turn offers it to Gabe with her left hand while holding the pill out with her right and says, "Now take your medicine smartie pants."

Gabe takes both offered items and says, "Okay, I'm taking it." Gabe puts the pill in his mouth and takes a big sip of water and swallows. He then opens his mouth, sticks out his tongue and says, "Happy now?"

Judson starts to laugh and Mac looks like she is trying to decide whether or not to take another swipe at his head. Gabe pulls his legs up, removes the sling then lays down and reaches for the blanket.

But Mac beats him to it and covers him while saying; "Get some sleep. I'll leave my door open tonight shout if you need anything." Gabe thanks her and she ruffles his hair then leaves the room.

Judson smiles at him and says, "Goodnight kid," and begins to leave.

"Night Judson and thanks!"

Judson looks back and nods at him then exits the room.



Morning of Jan 6th

Gabe wakes up to the smell of eggs and sausage cooking, he slowly gets out of bed and after putting his sling back on heads toward the doorway.

Before he can leave the room Mac sticks her head in the doorway and says, "Hey were do you think you're going?"

Gabe grins at her and says, "First the bathroom then the table for breakfast!" Gabe proceeds to walk past her and goes into the bathroom.

Mac shakes her head and heads back toward the kitchen. As Mac enters the rooms she says, "Gabe's up, said he was coming to the table for breakfast. He looks a lot better. I'll get the coffee and orange juice. How are you doing with that?"

Judson smiles at her and says, "Almost done. Be right out!"

By the time Gabe gets to the table Judson and Mac are already in their seats and have begun to eat.

Judson looks up at him and says, "Hey Gabe! How ya feeling this morning?"

Gabe smiles and says, "Okay, my arm's finally stopped hurting. Guess that means it's starting to heal. I'm not taking anymore of those pain pill, they knock me out for too long."

Mac looks up at him and says, "It might not hurt now but if it starts up again your gonna take something. We're gonna have to call the hospital today and get the number for their orthopedist, so you can arrange an appointment."

Gabe nods his head and says, "Don't worry Mac if it comes back and gets too bad I'll take something. I don't need to see the doctor for more than a week so it can wait another day."

As Gabe takes his antibiotic Judson says, "Maybe not but you might have to wait awhile to get an appointment so the sooner you call the better."

Gabe nods at him while draining his glass of orange juice.

Mac notices that he hasn't finished his eggs and says, "What's the matter with your eggs? Aren't you hungry?"

Gabe shrugs his shoulders and says, "Not really. I'll grab something later."

Judson stands up and begins to clear the table while saying, "Are you sure your okay? You haven't had much of an appetite!"

Gabe quietly says, "I feel fine really. I'm just not hungry, don't worry about it okay?"

Mac stands up, puts her hand on his forehead and says, "He doesn't have a temperature."

Gabe moves his head out of her reach and begins to stand while saying, "Guys really, I'm okay. It's probably just a side effect of the medicine."

As Gabe walks over to the couch Mac grabs the last of the stuff from the table and joins Judson in the kitchen.

*******

As Mac puts the coffeepot on the counter she says, "If he doesn't start eating more he's gonna get sick!"

Judson looks at her and says, "Mac don't push it, he's probably right about it being a side effect of the medicine. We'll just keep an eye on him."

*******

Mac and Judson exit the kitchen and notice Gabe sitting on the couch looking at the 3 boxes pushed against the wall.

Gabe looks up at them and says, "What's with the boxes?"

Judson shrugs and says; "They're for you kid. Delivery guys showed up Friday with them, they're pretty heavy so I had them put there."

Mac grins and says, "Did you do some shopping while you were on vacation?"

Gabe shakes his head and says, "Couple of magazines and a book in the gift shop nothing that needed to be delivered that's for sure. Guess we should open them up and see what's in them."

Gabe gets up off the couch, walks over to the boxes and kneels down. He looks at the shipping label but there's no real information on it, just his name and the address for the Vast Explorer's slip.

He looks up at Mac shrugs his shoulders and says, "Do you have a knife?"

Mac and Judson kneel down beside him and they each pull out a knife.

Gabe laughs at them then says, "Go ahead open them up."

Mac and Judson each pick a box and quickly slit the seals.

Mac reaches into her box and pulls out a brand new top of the line regulator while saying, "Guys this one's full of diving gear; regulators, weights and a couple of spear guns."

Judson reaches into the box he had slit and says, "Guys this ones got 3 new scuba tanks and a re-breather. Man somebody sure spent a pretty penny here."

Gabe looks at the 3rd box and says, "Mac give me the knife!" He holds out his right hand and Mac carefully hands over the knife. Gabe quickly slits open the final box, pulls back the sides and looks in.

When Gabe doesn't say anything Mac says, "Well what's in that one?"

Gabe still doesn't say anything so Judson and Mac look into the box and are shocked to see it contains 2 boxes. Gabe looks at them and shrugs then reaches in with his right hand but can't seem to lift the one box out.

Mac smiles at him and says, "Here let me give you a hand with that!" She reaches in and quickly pulls the box out.

As Mac puts it on the floor Gabe whistles and says, "What's going on here? This computer isn't supposed to even hit the market till the end of the month!"

Judson looks at him and says, "If that's the case how do you even know about it?"

Gabe looks at him and says, "Cause it was on the cover of one of the magazines I bought."

While Gabe is reading the information on the notebooks box, Mac reaches in and pulls out the second box and puts it on the floor.

Judson whistles and Gabe looks up at him, when he sees the other box his mouth opens but no words come out.

Mac laughs and says, "Hey close your mouth before you catch a fly!" Judson looks over at him and starts to laugh.

Gabe finally finds some words and says, "Okay what's going on here?"

Mac and Judson look at each other shocked by the tone in his voice.

Judson looks at him and says, "What do you mean?"

Gabe looks at both of them and replies, "That underwater camera was featured on the cover of the other magazine I bought!"

Mac and Judson look at him surprised by what they've just heard.

After a minute Mac says, "Are you sure? Maybe it's just similar?"

Gabe shakes his head and says, "No that's the exact one and it's not supposed to hit the market for 6 weeks!"

Judson looks down at the stuff in front of them and says, "Okay this stuff definitely cost a fortune. Gabe who saw those magazines you bought?"

Gabe looks at him and says, "I don't know, anybody who went into the gift shop at the lodge. My security guards of course saw me buy them, but there's no way they did this. Other than that I don't know, I read them in my room then put them in my backpack."

Mac looks back into the shipping box and says, "Uh guys there's an envelope in here."

She pulls it out and they all see, Gabe, printed on it.

Mac looks at him and says; "I think this for you!"

Gabe takes the envelope and tries to open it but he can't seem to grip it with the fingers of his left hand tight enough to open it with his right. So Mac holds out her hand and Gabe reluctantly hands it back to her to open.

Once Mac has slit it open she hands it back while saying; "Here you go!"

Gabe thanks her and takes it back then pulls a sheet of paper out of the envelope. He unfolds it and begins to read it, after a few seconds his eyes tear up and he puts the paper down.

Mac moves over to sit next to him and says, "Gabe what is it?" He doesn't answer her but hands her the piece of paper. Mac looks at him and says, "Do you want me to read this out loud?"

Gabe nods his head at her and begins to wipe his eyes with the palm of his right hand.

Mac looks at Judson for a minute then unfolds the paper and begins to read, "My Dear Gabe, By the time you read this our family vacation will have finished and you will be back with your friends. For some reason I always find it hard to talk to you so I decided to write this to you instead. Catherine and I have tried to get your father to come around but as you know he isn't the easiest man to get to change his mind. He decided at the last minute to make many changes, in the holiday schedule. He knows you despise the political functions so he thought you would prefer to be left out. I wanted to explain this to you after dinner the first night but as you know that night didn't go well. Every time I came to your room you were either asleep or reading a magazine and I didn't want to intrude; you were so focused on the articles I didn't want to interrupt. I'll call you after your father leaves for the office on Wednesday. Love Mom. PS the dive gear is from Catherine and I for you and your friends, a late Christmas gift. As far as the computer and camera go, well your father pulled a couple of strings he doesn't know about. Enjoy!!

Mac looks up with tears in her eyes just in time to see Gabe heading for the stairs.

Judson looks at her and softly says, "Let him go Mac. I think he needs some air and time by himself."

As Gabe heads up the stairs headed for the main deck, Judson and Mac begin to take the dive equipment to the storage closet.

*******

A half-hour later, Judson and Mac are sitting at the table playing a game of cards when Gabe walks down the stairs. When they look up at him Gabe says, "Hey, What did you guys do with the gear?"

Judson replies, "We put it in the storage closet, camera's in your cabin, but I left the computer out for you. Thought you might want to check I out."

Gabe looks down at the computer box and says, "Maybe later, I'm gonna go lay down for awhile."

Gabe slowly begins to walk toward his cabin and Mac watches him go. When he enters his room and shuts the door Mac looks at Judson and says, "Do you think one of should go talk to him?"

Judson shakes his head and says, "Let him be for awhile. He's got a lot of stuff going through his mind, if he wants to talk to us he knows we'll listen."

But before they can get back to their card came they hear footsteps coming down the stairs. Judson gets up and begins to walk towards the stairway while Mac stands and remains at the table.

A gentleman, in a three-piece business suit, steps into the room and Judson says, "Can I help you?"

"Yes I'm Mr. Ashburn, I'm looking for Mr. Cross and Mr. Patterson."

Judson looks at Mac briefly and says, "I'm Judson Cross, Mr. Ashburn what can I do for you?" Judson motions toward a chair and moves to sit down on the coffee table.

Mr. Ashburn sits down in the chair and says, "I'm a lawyer, I've been hired by the Daily News to handle a couple of matters. Is Mr. Patterson here?"

Mac walks over to stand by Judson and says, "Yes but Gabe's currently resting and we'd rather not disturb him if you don't mind."

"Ah I see. Well we can take care of some of this without him but I will need to speak to him and get his signature on a couple of documents, but we'll deal with that later. I'm sure your aware that Mr. Patterson"

Judson interrupts, "Mr. Ashburn if you don't mind drop the Mr. Patterson, his name is Gabe!"

Ashburn nods and says, "I'm sorry I meant no offense, most of my clients prefer to keep it formal. As you are probably aware Gabe was involved in an accident on the 3rd and suffered some injuries. Senator Patterson entered into some legal arrangements on his son's behalf and I need to get some things finalized. Mr. Cross your Gabe's employer is that correct?"

Judson nods his head and replies; "Yes Gabe works for me."

"Okay, has Gabe informed you that his father had a clause put in to the documents to compensate you for any monetary lose due to his inability to work?"

Judson nods and says, "Gabe mentioned it but we've been a little busy."

"That's quite okay Mr. Cross that's why I was sent here. The owner of the newspaper would like to get this settled and he thought it would be best if I came here and saw you in person. Rather than bother you with the headache of trying to figure out what your possible losses would be the owner of the paper has given me a cashiers check made out to you."


Part 7

Mr. Ashburn hands a check over to Judson and says, "He has also authorized me to cut you another check if this doesn't meet your needs and in return all you have to do is sign some forms releasing the newspaper from any further legal obligation."

Judson shows Mac the check and she looks shocked, the check is for $100,000.00 and it is indeed made out to Judson Cross.

Judson looks at Ashburn and says, "Look Mr. Ashburn this is certainly a generous amount here but I'm not sure about this."

"Judson what's going on?"

Mac and Judson turn around and see Gabe entering the sitting area.

Mac gently says, "This is Mr. Ashburn. Seems the owner of the newspaper hired him to clear up some matters regarding your accident."

Gabe walks over to Judson and after looking at the check says, "Let me guess, that's the compensation for my not being able to work."

Mr. Ashburn says, "Yes but I'm also authorized to cut a check if it doesn't meet your employers needs."

Gabe sits down on the couch and says, "And how did he come up with that amount?"

Ashburn looks a little confused and says, "I'm not exactly sure. If you'd like to take some time and discuss this or maybe do some computations and get back to me. I can always come back tomorrow."

Judson looks back at Gabe and then says, "Mr. Ashburn could you give us a few minutes. Go get some air on the main deck."

Ashburn stands up and says, "Certainly." He then proceeds to walk up the stairs.

Mac sits down next to Gabe and says, "Wow how did they come up with that figure?"

Gabe looks at Mac and replies; "They picked it Mac. Think about it. They don't want to wait for Judson to contact them so they pick a good round number. They know it will more than cover it but just in case they tell the lawyer he's authorized to pay more. They don't care about the money trust me."

Judson looks at Gabe and says, "Gabe it's too much I can't accept it. We don't have any jobs lined up right now so the down time isn't really hurting us."

Gabe looks at him and replies, "Judson they know that. It's how these guys operate. Trust me just accept the check and sign the papers, they don't care about the money all they really want is your signature on a binding legal contract saying you won't ask for more money. Deposit the check pay off your bills and put the rest away for a rainy day!"

Mac looks at him and says, "Gabe how can you say that!"

Gabe shrugs and says, "Look guys it was a stupid accident. The owner of the paper is simply trying to save face with my father. Don't make a big deal out of it. It's not the first time this has ever happened and it probably won't be the last. It's perfectly legal."

Judson looks at the check and says, "What happens if I don't accept it and refuse to sign the papers?

Gabe looks him in the eyes and says, "They'll probably keep sending the lawyer back with a check for double the amount, until you do."

Mac looks at him and says, "You're kidding right?"

Gabe shakes his head and says, "No I'm not. Guys, that's how they operate. They only go up not down. Judson look just accept it, sign the papers and after you pay off the bills, put some away for a rainy day then donate the rest to a worth cause if it makes you feel better."

Mr. Ashburn walks down the stairs and says, "Excuse me have you made a decision yet?"

Judson looks at him and says, "Yeah, we'll accept the check. But before I sign the papers I want my lawyer to take a look at them. If he says they're okay I'll sign them and he'll return them to you."

Mr. Ashburn nods and says, "That's acceptable, Mr. Cross." He pulls out some papers and hands them over then looks at Gabe and says, "Now Mr. Patterson I need to get your signature on some papers as well. You are aware that your father made some arrangements while you were in the hospital?"

Gabe simply nods and Ashburn continues, "Well since you are an adult legally you need to sign these papers to absolve the newspaper of any further obligations. So if I could just get your signature then we'll be all done and you can get on with your recovery."

Gabe shrugs his shoulders and says, "Mr. Ashburn I'm not signing anything at this time. According to the doctor in Colorado it could be up to 4 months before my arm is completely healed. I have in my possession legal documents saying they will cover all medical expenses. Once the paper meets their obligation and has covered all the medical bills then I'll consult with my lawyer about signing any other papers."

Mr. Ashburn stands up and says, "I wasn't aware you had contacted a lawyer?"

Gabe smiles and says, "Of course not, nobody bothered to ask."

Ashburn looks at Gabe who is still sitting on the couch and says, "I'll have to talk to my client and get back to you when I get this straightened out. Good day!"

As Ashburn leaves Mac and Judson stare at Gabe and say in unison, "What lawyer?"

Gabe simply shrugs his shoulders and says, "Guys take it easy, I have a lawyer who helps me deal with my trust fund. No big deal, really. Besides it got rid of the guy for awhile didn't it. He'll rack up some more time tracking it down and in the end the newspaper is footing the tab. Besides my father's a lawyer do you think he would have signed anything if it wasn't 100% enforceable?"

Mac grins at Judson and says; "He's definitely feeling better if his devious mind is working like that? Only you would send a lawyer on a wild goose chase!"

Gabe grins and says, "Hey, I'm not paying his bill the newspaper is. Ashburn will go back to his client they'll contact my father and they can make all the deals they want, as long as they leave me alone."

Gabe gets up from the couch and says, "I'm gonna go to my cabin and read for awhile."

Judson watches Gabe go to his cabin and says, "Well looks like we'll finally get caught up on the bills. What do you say we use some of the extra cash to take a vacation in Florida? Show the kid a good time and a change of scenery!"

Mac smiles at him and says, "Sounds good to me, but first we better make that appointment and maybe we should check with Gabe see what he thinks."

Judson grins and says, "Okay we'll bring it up after lunch."

*******

A couple of hours later Judson and Mac are cleaning up the sitting area when Gabe comes out of his cabin. He heads toward the kitchen and pulls out a bottle of orange juice.

After a couple of tries he finally manages to get it open and is beginning to drink it when Mac enters and says, "Hey are you hungry yet? I could fix us some sandwiches."

Gabe shrugs and says, "Nah I was just thirsty! So what's on the repair schedule this week?"

Judson looks up and says, "Hey you're on sick leave! Forget about repairs and take it easy."

Gabe looks down at the floor and says, "I'm not sick, and I can still do some of the repairs, it might take a little longer with one hand but I can still manage. So what did you break while we were gone?"

Judson smiles and says, "Nothing, everything is in tip-top condition. We don't have any jobs lined up so enjoy the down time. Have some fun on that new computer!"

Gabe shrugs and says, "Maybe later, I'm gonna go check out the starboard engine. It was acting up a bit before maybe I can figure out why."

Mac grabs his right shoulder and says, "Don't you dare. You're gonna sit down at the table and eat something then your gonna lay down and read or work on your computer. No work, got it?"

Gabe looks at her and is about to start arguing but Judson speaks up first, "Mac's right, Gabe. I don't want you going near that engine. Take it easy relax. Charlie can take a look at the engine when he gets back tomorrow."

Gabe looks at both of his friends and says, "Guys really I'm okay. The arm doesn't hurt any more. I'm fine really, I can still do my job."

Judson grins and says, "Your arm might not hurt but its still not healed. I mean it Gabe relax take it easy. Do some research on the computer but nothing physical until the doctor says its okay."

Mac puts an arm around his shoulders and leads Gabe to the table, "Sit down. I'll be right back with lunch. I mean it, don't you dare go anywhere."

Mac practically has to force Gabe to sit down then goes back into the kitchen and starts to prepare some sandwiches.

Gabe sits quietly in his chair and doesn't look too happy when Mac places a sandwich and glass of milk in front of him.

Judson joins Gabe at the table and as he sits down with his lunch says, "Hey cheer up kid. It could be worse, she could be confining you to bed still."

Gabe looks at Judson and says, "Gee thanks, that makes me feel a whole lot better!"

Mac comes out with her lunch and as she sits down says, "How about we take a little trip. Would that make you feel any better?"

Gabe looks up at her and says, "I thought you said we didn't have any jobs lined up?"

Judson smiles and says, "We don't. This would be solely for fun. So what do you say?"

Gabe looks at both of them and says, "No thanks I'll hang out here, but you guys go have some fun." He picks up his sandwich and takes a small bite.

Judson looks at Mac then says, "That might be a little difficult since we're taking the ship to get there!"

Gabe looks down at the table and says, "No problem I can always stay at the hotel till you get back."

Mac puts her sandwich down and says, "You'll do no such thing. Gabe we're not gonna leave you here alone. You're part of this family and if you don't want to go then we won't go."

Gabe smiles at her and says, "Mac you have no sense of humor. I was kidding, take it easy."

Judson smiles at him and says, "Okay pal. Let's get your appointment scheduled then we can start planning our vacation."

Gabe grins at him and says, "I already took care of it. They're kind of busy so I don't have to be there for 2 weeks from today. We can leave whenever you want."

Mac grins and says, "All right, Florida here we come."

Gabe looks up and says, "Florida?"

Judson smiles and says, "Yeah you know, fun, sun and Disney World."

Gabe smiles and says, "Disney World? Judson come on that's for kids!"

Judson and Mac smile at him and Judson says, "Hey we're all kids at heart! Why not?"

Gabe looks at him and grins, "Okay! Can't wait to get you guys on the roller coasters!"

*******

A couple of hours later Judson and Mac are sitting at the table playing cards and occasionally glancing toward Gabe who is sitting cross legged on the floor with his new laptop set up in front of him.

Every once in awhile Gabe looks up and tells them about something he's found on the net about the attractions in Florida. Judson and Mac smile at each other happy that he's actually getting excited about the trip.

Judson looks up when he hears the sound of footsteps on the deck. He gets up and says, "I'll be back in a minute guys!"

Mac looks up and then stands, "Gabe I'm gonna go up on deck for a minute. Don't you dare leave that spot and try to do something you're not supposed to do!"

Gabe just nods his head and continues to work on his computer, completely absorbed and not really paying attention to her.

Mac shakes her head at him and walks up the stairs smiling.

*******

Mac walks out onto the main deck of the Vast Explorer and finds Judson staring at 2 gentleman in business suits. Only one of the men is looking at her, the other has his back turned so she can't get a very good look at him.

Judson doesn't look very pleased when he says, "We've got visitors!"

Mac looks at Judson and says, "Yeah I noticed. Who are the suits?
Not more lawyers I hope?"

Judson shakes his head and says, "Unfortunately no. Meet Mr. Donavan, security for Senator Patterson, here."

At the mention of his name the second man turns around and Mac recognizes him from the photo in the paper. Senator Patterson nods his head and says, "I'd like to see my son now. If you don't mind?"

Mac looks at Judson and says, "We do mind! Gabe's still recovering from his last visit with you. I don't think it's a good idea for you to see him right now."

The Senator takes a step forward and says, "Gabriel is my son Ms. Previn. Mr. Cross I just want to make sure he's okay and discuss a few things with him. You don't have the right to keep me from seeing him."

Judson steps forward and says, "You're right he is your son, but that doesn't give you the right to treat him the way you did. Now if you don't mind this is my ship and I never gave you permission to board. I'm asking you nicely to leave. Don't make us force you."

Donavan steps forward and says, "I don't advise that Mr. Cross. Somebody is liable to get hurt!"

"Yeah you. Back off Donavan their just protecting me."

Mac and Judson turn around and see Gabe standing at the top of the stairs.

The Senator takes another step forward and says, "Gabriel we need to talk, in private!"

Gabe turns around and says, "Mac, Judson it's okay. Let him come down. Might as well get this over with."

Judson looks at Donavan and says; "If you don't mind. I'd rather you stayed up here."

Donavan looks at the Senator and he nods his head. Donavan then looks at Judson and says, "Fine but if I hear anything out of the ordinary. I'm coming down."

Mac blocks the stairs, looks the Senator straight in the eyes and angrily says; "If you so much as raise your voice to him. I promise you, you're going to regret it. You will land up in the hospital and you won't be as lucky as Gabe, you will be stuck there for a long time."

The Senator looks over his shoulder at Judson and says, "Is she always this defensive."

Judson grins at him and says, "Yes, when it comes to her family she is. So I'd listen to her if I was you!"

Mac grins at Judson and steps aside. The Senator carefully passes Mac and proceeds to start down the stairs quickly followed by Mac then Judson.

*******

The Senator walks into the sitting room and finds Gabe sitting on the coach staring at the coffee table. Mac quickly crosses the room and moves to sit next to him. She puts a hand on his leg and softly says, "You don't have to talk to him right now Gabe."

Judson moves to stand near the Senator and says, "Why don't you say what you came here to say and get it over with?"

"I would prefer to talk to Gabriel in private, Mr. Cross. This concerns my family and it has nothing to do with you." Senator Patterson is glaring at Judson and he in turn is glaring right back.

Gabe looks up at his father and says, "They're part of MY family and whatever you have to say to me does concern them. That's how OUR family works."

Mac removes her hand from Gabe's leg and stands up while saying, "Don't forget what I said Senator!"

The Senator looks at Gabe then at each of his friends. Realizing it was fruitless to try to get his son alone he says, "Very well. I have talked to the local authorities and cleared up the unfortunate misunderstanding that seems to have occurred when I inquired if Gabriel was here."

Mac sarcastically says, "Some misunderstanding. They were under the impression he had been kidnapped. I wonder how they got that impression?"

Judson glares at her and says, "Mac, don't!"

The Senator takes a step toward Gabe and says, "Son could we please talk in private?"

Gabe looks up at him and says, "No! Besides if they hear it directly from you now it will save me the time and effort of repeating it later. You could have told me that over the phone or had Costa tell us. So why are you here?"

Senator Patterson looks down at his son and says, "Gabriel I . . . Son I wanted to let you know that all the legal issues about the accident have been taken care of. Mr. Ashburn will not be bothering you or Mr. Cross again. Your mother sends her love and said she'll call you soon." He looks at Mac and Judson then turns and slowly heads toward the stairs.

Mac moves to stand next to Judson and Gabe stares down at the coffee table.

When the Senator reaches the stairs he turns and says, "Son, I may not show it like other fathers but I do care. Call me anytime, I mean it."

Mac and Judson look at the Senator shocked by what they've just heard. But when they look back at Gabe sitting on the couch they find him absent-mindedly pulling some of the gauze out of his cast.

Mac returns to her seat next to him and says, "Uh I don't think you're supposed to be doing that. Are you okay?"

Gabe shrugs and says, "Yeah I'm fine, really. This things too tight. I can hardly move my fingers. Besides the breaks in my arm not my fingers."

Mac reaches out and grabs his right hand then says, "Stop it or I'm gonna break the other one. Then you'll have a matching set."

Gabe looks up at her and says, "Go ahead. But you're gonna have to pay the doctor's bill cause I don't think the insurance will cover it."

Judson looks down at Mac and says, "Mac I wouldn't do that if I was you. He's having a hard enough time doing the everyday things. If you break his other arm you're gonna have to help him with everything, and I mean EVERYTHING!"

Gabe looks at her and gives her a devilish grin then says, "Yeah Mac, EVERYTHING!"

Mac looks at both of them and says, "You wish! So when are we leaving for Florida?"

Judson looks at her and says, "Well the rest of the crew gets here tomorrow so I'd say the day after that."

*******

Two weeks later having just returned from Florida Judson, Mac and Gabe are sitting in the waiting room for the orthopedist at Beau Harbor hospital. They have been waiting for awhile and to pass the time they've been teasing each other about the goofy things they had done on their vacation.

Gabe pokes Mac in the ribs and says, "I can't believe how green you turned on the Tower of Terror!"

Judson chuckles and says, "Yeah Mac you were a sight to behold!"

Mac whacks Judson in the back of the head and says, "Hey give me a break we'd just eaten lunch, you didn't tell me we were going on that darn thing so soon. And as I recall Judson you looked a little pale when we got off Space Mountain the day before!"

Judson grins and says, "Well we went on that thing 7 times in a row what did you expect?"

Gabe smiles at his friends as they continue to try and one up each other and absent-mindedly starts to pick at his cast again. Mac notices this and smacks his right hand and says, "Knock it off will you. It's coming off today leave it alone already!"

Judson grins and says, "I'm surprised there's any gauze still left in that thing. You know it's a good thing we locked all the tools up Mac otherwise he probably would have cut the thing off himself."

Mac looks at him and replies, "Yeah I know! I was ready to break the other one when I caught him trying to cut a hole in it with his pocket knife."

Gabe grins at her and says, "Hey it wouldn't stop itching, I was just trying to cut a small hole in it so I could scratch."

Judson looks at him and says, "If they wanted it to have holes in it then they would have put it on that way. You're just lucky you didn't cut yourself."

Before Gabe can say anything a nurse comes out and calls his name. Gabe stands up and follows the women back to an exam room and takes a seat on the table.

After a few minutes a doctor comes in and introduces himself, "Mr. Patterson I'm Dr. Thorp. I've taken a look at the records you provided us and everything looks in order. Why don't we get that cast off and get another x-ray and see how it looks."

Gabe nods and says, "Give me the saw and I'll gladly take it off for you!"

Dr. Thorp grins and says, "Tired of it are we?"

As they exit the exam room Gabe replies, "Yes it itches like crazy!"

10 minutes later the cast is off and Gabe is sitting in the exam room again waiting for the doctor to come in and review the new x-rays.

The doctor walks into the room and immediately goes to the board and turns on the lights. After looking at the x-rays for a few minutes he turns and says, "Well everything looks good here. It's healing nicely. From what I can see here you were a very fortunate young man."

Gabe looks at the films and says, "Oh yeah how's that?"

Dr. Thorp turns off the board and says, "Well the bone fragments were pretty good sized so the reconstruction was fairly straight forward. If they had been any smaller you would need to be casted again, probably for another 6 weeks. But these films look pretty good, if you take it easy, no heavy lifting and don't do anything too physical for a couple of weeks then you'll be as good as new in about a month. Your muscles are going to be a little stiff and sore for awhile so take it slow. Make an appointment for 2 weeks from today I'll check your progress then make a decision about whether or not you'll need physical therapy."

Gabe gets off the table and says, "Okay Doc see you in 2 weeks."

Before the doctor can say anything else Gabe quickly leaves the room and walks up to the receptionist. Seeing Gabe come out Mac and Judson stand up and walk over to him.

Mac smiles and says, "Looking good there kid. So what did the doc say?"

As the nurse hands Gabe his appointment card Gabe smiles at them and says, "I have to come back in 2 weeks. He says it's healing okay, I can't do any heavy lifting but it should be as good as new in a month. Let's get out of here, I'm beginning to hate hospitals."

*******

An hour later the 3 friends are lounging in the sitting room of the Vast Explorer. Gabe's attention is completely focused on the new laptop; Judson and Mac are casually reading and occasionally talking about possible jobs. Things have finally gotten back to normal for the crew at least what passes for normal for them.

The End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Debbie S.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.