Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
4,547
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
759

Seven day holiday in the rain with you

Summary:

Rating: Nothing worse than the show.
Disclaimer: Buffy belongs to Joss, Mutant Enemy, Fox, and maybe a few other people, certainly she doesn't belong to me :( The song "Caravan Holiday" is by the Stereophonics, and is owned by them and their record company V2. The very nice and about 30 years old dinner jacket that I will soon be wearing to my leavers ball (it's a bit like a prom) belongs to my father, but the original ideas in this story are all mine.
Authors Notes: This fic was inspired by the Stereophonics song "Caravan Holiday", and it contains the lyrics of that song spread throughout the fic. I was gonna post this as one complete story, but it was hard to write, and grew to be longer than I thought it would be, so I'm going to post this much, and post the rest later when I've finished it. Oh, and _ _ means emphasis, * * means thought and // // means song.
Feedback: Hey, send me feedback, it might make the rest easier to write and thus quicker to arrive.
Distribution: Ask. The chances of me saying no are low, but ASK!!
Submitted through the 'YG deleted' 0oBuffyXanderFanfictiono0 mailing list. Please join us at 0oBuffyXanderFanfictiono0_2

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Seven day holiday in the rain with you
by Draxar

"I'm sorry Buffy, I don't think we should go out anymore"

With those few words, Buffy's world stopped making sense. Slowly she managed to stammer out a question, "Wh-what? Why?"

"Oh please!" Riley sneered as he looked down at a confused Buffy, who was clearly on the verge of tears. "We just don't work anymore, you're all "Slay, slay, slay. Patrol, patrol patrol. There's more to life than 'sacred duty' and 'mystical birthright'. You're no fun, plus you wouldn't do... you know... you could have at least asked Willow."

Buffy took a moment to remember what he was talking about, then shuddered with revulsion as shed did. "I can't believe you even asked me that. Willow would never do that, she's with Tara." Seeing a smirk appear on Riley's face, she added "What's more important; _I_ don't want to do it."

"You are so boring!" Riley whined, then muttered something, but Buffy could only catch the word 'Anya'

"What did you say?" she demanded.

Riley sighed, then replied "I said 'Anya was up for it'"

"Wh-what?" Buffy asked "You mean you... with _Anya_?" Her confusion was now turning to anger.

"No!" Riley answered. He watched Buffy sigh in relief, waiting for maximum effect before adding "I did it with Anya _and_ Christine together."

"What?" Buffy almost screamed, "You had sex with not one but _two_ other people while you were with me?"

"Well yeah," he answered. Being too stupid to realise that it's a bad idea to provoke an already angry slayer, he said, "You never said we were in a closed relationship, so I thought it didn't matter. Plus haven't you seen Road Trip? If you're with two women at they same time it doesn't count as cheating because they cancel each other out."

Enraged by his words, Buffy grabbed his shirt and threw him against the wall, then walked over to him, lifted him up by his neck, and slowly brought her other fist back...

"Buffy! I've been hearing these terrible things about... Riley..." Talking quickly as she entered Buffy's room, Willow trailed off as she saw the situation.

"Yeah. They were probably true," Buffy replied, not lowering her fist "Me and Riley were just... discussing it."

Despite a small urge to let Buffy beat Riley senseless, Willow knew she had to calm her down. "Okay Buffy, let's not do anything we might regret later."

"I don't think I'd regret beating him black and blue." Buffy replied coldly "Why, would you?"

"Come on Buffy, he's not worth this. Just kick him out."

Buffy sighed as she slowly calmed down and realised that Willow was right. She let go of Riley's neck and shoved him towards the door. "Get out now you creep!" Obviously realising how close to serious injury or death he had been, Riley ran straight through the doorway and down the corridor.

As he left, Buffy's angry expression softened, and she began to cry. Willow came to her and hugged her, as Buffy continued to weep into Willows shoulder.

***

"But I thought you'd like it."

"Anya... what on earth gave you the idea that I would like you sleeping with Riley." Xander demanded

"Well... he said that since you must be so crap in the sack, I would learn a lot from him that I could use to please you." She explained, then looked at him, as if expecting thanks.

"WHAT?" Xander yelled, "You thought that sleeping with another man was okay because it would improve your technique?"

"Well, yeah." Anya said, as if that was perfectly normal, "Actually, he was wrong and really pretty lame, but I think I learned a few things from Christine."

"Who's Christine?" Xander, his anger rapidly cooling, leaving only pain and confusion.

"She's some blonde girl Riley pulled on some Psych. course"

"Okay Anya, that's it." Xander decided, "I forgave you for that thing with the chaos demon, even though it was really disgusting, but no more. We are _over_."

"Fine then." Anya said, trying to remain superior, "I don't need you, I can do much better without you. And Riley was much better at the sex than you." She added as she stormed out of the door, completely forgetting she had said the opposite only a minute before

***

"We have to do something, she's worse than after Parker" Willow said "She's in no fit state to patrol, she almost *wants* the vampires to get her."

"Yes, that's true." Giles agreed, "But she got over Parker after a while, can't we just look after her until she finishes dealing with it?"

"Uh-uh" Willow disagreed "This is far worse, she's in dire need of some chicken soups for the soul." Willow thought about the situation, slowly walking around Giles' living room "I think she needs a holiday to unwind and deal. Something like...." Willow trailed off, then suddenly saw something on Giles' desk "...a seven day holiday for two in a luxury caravan. That would be perfect!"

"Wait a minute!" Giles exclaimed, "I won those tickets. I'm going on that holiday with Olivia!"

"Sorry Giles," Willow apologised, "I think Buffy needs this holiday more than you two do. Besides, would you really want to send her out patrolling now, while you go on a holiday? Do you want that on your conscience with the state she's in?" she asked, using as much emotional blackmail as she could.

Knowing he was beaten, Giles sighed and conceded "Okay, okay. Have the tickets."

Willow smiled "Yay! I win!"

"I hope you and Buffy enjoy yourselves there." Giles said with more than a hint of sour grapes.

"Me?" Willow asked, surprised. "No I won't be going with Buffy, I've got far too much on; I've been asked to help with some of the lectures, plus me and Tara want to do something special to celebrate our first anniversary"

"Then who are you going to send with Buffy?" Giles asked.

"Who am I going to send with Buffy? Now that one is easy." She said with a big smile, "Xander."

 

Day 1

// Seven Day Holiday in the rain, it's June,//

"Tell me again why we agreed to this?" Buffy asked as she and Xander ran from his car to the huge caravan in the pouring rain.

"Free holiday, nothing better to do, a chance to escape our pain" he suggested, holding the door to the caravan open. "Plus an over-eager Willow who refused to take no for an answer."

"Oh yeah." Buffy agreed, looking around their new home "There's no arguing with the resolved face. Wow this place is nice."

"Yeah, kinda takes all of the point out of 'roughing it' in a caravan though." Looking around, he saw the kitchen, "Now, why don't you go and have a nice warm shower while I whip us up some warm food and drink."

"Okay then Xan," she agreed, joking "but no trying to join me partway though my shower with the excuse of 'rubbing my back'"

***

"Cupboard?"

"Nope."

"Cup?"

"Nope."

"Cake?"

"Nope." Xander thought for a moment, "We have cake?"

"Yeah, but I ain't gonna tell you were it is unless you tell me what the 'C' was."

"For cake? Certainly," Xander replied, " It was 'Cutie"

Buffy raised an eyebrow, "Cutie? Where's that then?"

Xander grinned, then pointed his finger at Buffy "You're the cutie." He told her.

"Aww, thanks Xan." She said, thinking, *He can be so sweet sometimes.*, "But I'm not sure if it counts as a word for 'I spy'"

"We've been playing for two hours Buff, I've run out of things to spy."

"Yeah, trust it to rain during our holiday."

"Well I'd rather be here with you and the rain than back in Sunnydale right now."

***

//At the time we were plain old me and you,//

"Is it _ever_ going to stop raining?" Buffy complained

"Well, hopefully, cause otherwise we'll be stuck in here as the waters rise and we get carried away, with only each other and my Stereophonics CD's to keep us company, we would fish for our food, and never see dry land or anyone else, until years later, a mutant Kevin Cosner came to lead us there." Xander thought about this for a moment, then smiled at Buffy and suggested "Hey, I hope it keeps on raining!"

"Really?" Buffy asked, smiling at his joke, and touched by the sentiment "You'd give it all up, all the TV, twinkies, fine food, all just so you could float around eating fish with me."

"Of course I would Buffy." He assured her sincerely, then added in a bad impression of a long haired French football player "Becauze you're worth iit."

Buffy dissolved into helpless giggles at that, while Xander got up, and started to explore their temporary home.

"Hmmmm...." he mused, "We may have a problem."

"What? What's wrong?"

"You remember Willow blackmailed Giles into giving us this holiday, cause it was going to be for him and Olivia?" he said, "Well, it looks like they were going to be having quite a good time here." He stood aside, letting Buffy see into the spacious bedroom.

She gasped as she saw the huge red silk covered, heart shaped be, with a little drinks freezer to one side.

"Wow, they really _were_ planning a good time." She said.

"Well, I suppose this means I'm on the sofa tonight." Xander replied with a grin.

"Huh? Oh..." Buffy realised what he meant, "I don't see why; it's a big bed. As long as you promise to behave yourself we can both fit on." She winked at him suggestively, before adding, "I'm sure you'll be the perfect gentleman."

He smiled at her, and said "Of course my dear Buffy. Not matter how tempting it might be." He winked back at her. "But now, we need some food, let me go into the kitchen and prepare us a feast.

***

"Wow Xander, that was certainly a feast." Buffy thanked him, as they sat on the sofa after a magnificent meal "Where did you learn to cook like that?"

Xander grinned at shrugged, "I've pretty much had to make my own food at home for a long time, and if I'm gonna be eating it, I want to cook it well."

"Well, you certainly did cook well." Buffy told him, moving closer to him on the sofa "However can I thank you?" she asked with a devilish expression on her face.

"Oh what can you mean?" Xander said with fake shock, "What naughty things are you suggesting woman?"

"Well, I was thinking that I might give you a relaxing back massage, or is that too sordid for you Xan?"

"No, no no!" Xander said hastily, "Please, I would be very happy for you work your womanly magic on me."

Buffy gave him a long look, unsure if he was making fun of her or not. Xander just stood there looking innocent, and eventually she just shrugged and gestured for him to lie belly down on the sofa.

Xander did as he was directed, and when he was comfortable, Buffy climbed onto the bed and straddled his legs. Once she had got herself settled, Buffy started to slowly rub his back, massaging away all the aches and tension.

"Ohh...." Xander sighed, "That's really good Buff."

"Just relax Xander, and let all the tension out."

"Mmmmmmmmm..."

Buffy slowly worked her way up and down his back, taking her time and working out all of the aches and kinks, after quite some time she finally finished, sure that there was no more tension or pain she could rub out of him.

"Okay Xander, I'm done." She declared. Nothing but silence greeted her remark, interrupted only by Xander's slow breathing. Buffy carefully got up off the sofa and squatted in front of his face. *He looks so peaceful, I can't wake him up.* she decided.

So, after a moments thought, Buffy carefully picked Xander up and gently carried him through into the bedroom, thinking *Okay, you're really gonna of owe me for this Xan* She put him down on the bed, arranged him comfortably then she got onto the bed herself, and lay on the opposite side to Xander, and after lying there for a few minutes thinking, she slowly drifted off to sleep.

***

//Seven Day Holiday in the rain, it's June,
At the time we were plain old me and you,
It didn't matter that the sky came down,
I never really felt like going out,
Seven days watching rain inside with you.

Saturday watched the game, you fried our food,
Nothing Busy, nothing easy, but something you.
It didn't matter that we couldn't eat out,
My ship sank and my shoes were damp,
Seven days sharing rain inside with you.

There's always time to complain about the weather,
Seasons change in a day just like each other,
But we wait for summer
Seven day holiday in the rain with you.

Lie awake drinking late is all that's left to do,
Not a sound, but the rain on the pale blue roof,
It didn't matter that we couldn't sleep out,
I never really felt like sleeping rough,
Seven day holiday drinking dry with you.

There's always time to complain about the weather,
Seasons change in a day just like each other,
But we wait for summer
Seven day holiday in the rain with you,
Seven day holiday in the rain with you.//

 

Day 2

Buffy rolled over on the bed and reached out towards the other side, instinctively expected someone to be there. When her hands failed to grasp anything solid, she slowly opened her eyes.

As she remembered where she was and what she was doing there, her expression was sad, as she recalled all those painful memories. Then, as she heard some _very_ bad singing from next door she smiled, feeling safe and happy.

"Mr Writer... why don't ya tell it like it is? Why don't ya tell it like it really is, before you go on home..."

Buffy got up and slowly made her way to the door. She opened it, and immediately took a step back from the bright light shining in. Shielding her eyes, she looked over to the kitchen, where Xander was cooking something, still singing and swaying in time to the music.

"I used to treat you right, give you my time, but when I turned my back on you, then you do what you do..."

Smiling, Buffy walked up behind him, and joined in the next part of the song.

"You just enough, in my own view, education to perform, I'd like to shoot you all."

Shocked by the unexpected accompaniment, Xander almost dropped the frying pan he was holding, but managed to recover in time to put it safely down on the table, and then turned to see a smiling Buffy behind him.

"Hmm... Kelly Jones had better watch out, he has some serious competition." She teased him.

Xander chucked at that, before asking, "Would you like some breakfast, or do you want to tease me some more?"

Buffy looked down at the food "Well... as tempting as some more Xan-man teaseage is, sausage and backed beans are even more tempting."

Xander sighed, "You only want me for my prowess in the kitchen, you don't care about my personality."

Buffy laughed at that, and reached towards the food. Xander swatted her hand away, telling her "Bad slayer, not ready yet."

Buffy grumbled a bit, but then went down to sit on the sofa, eagerly awaiting her food.

***

"China?"

"No."

"Crockery?"

"Uh uh"

"Crucifix?"

"Nope."

"Cthulu?"

"Huh?"

"Never mind. Er... Coffee?"

"No." A hungry expression appeared on Buffy's face, "You never told me we had coffee."

"Heh," Xander chucked, "finally Slayer, I have discovered your weakness! You are powerless before my caffeinated beverage!" He ran quickly to the kitchen area, picked up the coffee jar and waved it in her direction.

Buffy looked up at him, and said "It's early, I need my coffee!" Seeing that her direct order was having no effect, she decided to go for a more subtle method. Sitting on the edge of the sofa, pouted and looked up into Xander's eyes, the she said "Pleeeease Xander?" her voice pleading and yet incredibly sexy, "Please can I have the coffee?"

Feeling his brain rapidly turning to mush (but a _very_ happy mush) Xander could only helplessly stammer gibberish as he gave the coffee to Buffy "Huag- cofef... bufufy."

"That's right Xan," Buffy said, as she pulled the coffee jar from his now limp grasp, and walked over to the kettle "You just keep telling yourself that."

***

"I'm booooooooooooored." Buffy complained.

Xander glanced up from the book, and said, "Yes dear." And then looked down again.

Thrown into confusion by Xander's offhand remark, Buffy looked at him carefully to see if he was making fun of her. Xander maintained his deadpan expression, so eventually she gave up, and returned to her problem.

"I'm still bored. Why are there no demons or vampires here for me to slay."

Xander looked up at her again before replying, "Y'know, I was thinking the very same thing... I mean I rang them all up before we left so they'd come up here and give you something to do." He peered out of the window into the pouring rain, "I suppose they must have drowned on their way here. Silly demons."

"Awww.... that's so cute Xander" Buffy gushed, "You set up a ravening band of bloodthirsty demons... just for me?"

Xander gave her a low bow, then told her "Anything for you Buffy, anything." He was smiling from the absurdity of the situation, but his voice was sincere.

"Anything?" Buffy asked slyly, an evil grin on her face, "Hmm... very well, find me something to do then."

Xander leaned back in the chair and carefully thought about it, *Me and Buffy alone in a caravan in the middle of the country far away from anywhere and anybody, while the rain pours outside. What to do...* "Got it!" he exclaimed, sitting up and looking at Buffy triumphantly. After pausing for effect, he explained his master plan, "Let's go for a walk."

Buffy looked at him as if he had grown a second head. "What?" she exclaimed, "Go for a walk? Have you looked outside recently Xander?"

"Oh, so now the mighty slayer is afraid of a little rain." Xander sighed, "Giles would be so disappointed. The rain isn't going to hurt you, and even with the rain it's really beautiful countryside around here."

"Fine you win." Buffy said, and went to grab her coat. Xander waited by the door, making no attempt to get his coat, so Buffy asked him, "Are you gonna go out there with no coat? You'll freeze if you don't drown first"

Xander chuckled at that, "Buffy the way it's raining outside you're going to get soaked if you wear anything less than a space suit. And this is California we're living in, even the rain is warm. Believe me, it's better to leave coats behind and enjoy the rain rather than trying to avoid it."

Buffy considered that for a moment, "Well... okay we'll do this your way." she said, putting her coat back, adding "But if you try and use the same argument to persuade me to run naked in the rain, then I will hurt you."

"Okay, fine. I'll just come up with a different reason for us to do that... maybe while we clean our clothes?"

Buffy was still laughing at the as she walked into the rain.

***

"Wow" Buffy marvelled.

"See, I told you the view was nice."

"Actually I was just surprised that I can see my house from here." After that remark Xander gave her a long hard look, until she broke down and admitted, "Yeah the view is beautiful Xan, thanks. It was worth climbing all the way up here, even if we nearly killed ourselves." On impulse, she gave him a little hug.

Xander responded by hugging her back, so they stood for there for a while, two teenagers hugging each other on the top of a high grassy hill while the rain pored around them.

***

Buffy wearily opened the caravan door and half walked, half fell in, leaning on the nearest wall while Xander stumbled in behind her, he closed the door behind them then just collapsed onto the floor. They just stayed like that for a while, both dripping onto the floor, as neither of them could muster the energy to speak.

Eventually, Buffy said "I have _never_ been this tired before, not even after fighting the mayor."

Xander groaned, "I ache in places I didn't know I had..."

Buffy started to shiver, "I thought you said we'd be warm."

"When we're out in the rain, sure." Xander explained, "Now that we're back here, all the rain can cool down and make you cold. Anyway, just go and have a hot shower and then dry off, that'll get you nice and warm."

"What about you? Aren't you gonna have a shower?"

"I'll be a gentleman and let you go first. Anyway, at the moment I don't think I could manage to walk that far, so I'll just lie here for a while." Xander replied. He lay there silently for a moment before adding, "However, if you should suddenly feel lonely in the shower cubicle, I think I might suddenly have a burst of adrenalin that would let me help you out."

Buffy chuckled as she walked into the bathroom, leaving Xander lying on the floor, eyes closed, mouth smiling.

Suddenly Buffy stuck her head around the bathroom door, "Xander..." she said.

Xander immediately opened his eyes, sat up and looked at her. "Yes Buffy?"

"Oh... nothing." She grinned and stuck her tongue out at him, before disappearing back to the bathroom.

"Women!"

"I heard that!"

***

Buffy and Xander reclined on the sofa, they were both now dry and warm, and currently sipping cups of hot tea.

"Feeling better yet Buff?" Xander asked.

She smiled at him as she replied "Yeah, a bit. But my feet are still aching" she complained, "Too much walking."

"Bah!" Xander said, "Admit it, you had a great time." When she nodded her agreement, he continued, "As for your feet, well I think I can work some Xander-magic to make them better."

Buffy was slightly apprehensive, and yet also slightly turned on, as Xander approached her, gently took her feet and put them on a stool, but all the tension flowed away as he put his hands on her feet and slowly started to massage them, leaving her feeling bliss and a little horny.

All the aches from walking and all the stress of life seemed to flow away as Xander gently caressed her feet. She closed her eyes and leaned back on the chair to concentrate on the sensations she was feeling.

"Mmmmm....... Xander..." She moaned, "Why are you so good at this? And how come I never knew till now?" she asked, "I've been denied the Xander-magic all these years."

There was a bittersweet look in Xander's eyes as he said "Yes you have Buffy", but she missed it, unable to concentrate on anything but the feelings in her feet.

Xander kept up the massage for a while longer, and then slowed his hands before finally stopping and moving to sit next to her on the sofa. Buffy just sat there motionless for a moment, before opening her eyes and turning to look at Xander.

"Wow..." she smiled at him, "That was... unbelievable. Thank you Xander." She pulled him close for a long hug.

"Any time Buff, and I do really mean that." Xander told her.

Buffy smiled at him again as she pulled back from the hug. "Oooh!" she gushed, "I think Notting Hill is about to be on TV! I love that film."

Xander sighed, "Chick flick." He said in a deliberately provocative tone. When Buffy glowered at him he held up his hands in surrender, "Okay, okay. Chick flick it is, I'll make the popcorn."

After a few minutes spend scurrying around setting everything up, they were ready and they got comfortable on the sofa. As the film started Xander got up to dim the lights, then returned to the sofa. As he sat down Buffy moved closer to him, so he lifted his arm and she snuggled up close to him as if it was the most natural thing in the world. Like that, they watched the film, with Xander turning some of the romantic moments into comedy by pointing out and counting up the number of times you could see the veins stand out on Julia Robert's head.

***

As the film ended to the tune of Elvis Costello, Xander carefully stretched his arms and legs before getting up and turning off the TV. Buffy however, just sat there on the sofa still staring at the blank screen.

"The films over Buff." Xander told her.

"Eh..." she groaned in a tired voice, "too tired. Don't wanna get up." She sat there for a moment longer before adding "Want you to carry me."

Xander raised his eyebrow at that, but the shrugged and said, "Sure Buffy. But I have to warn you that I'm used to carrying blocks of wood and stuff like that, not people." Then he bent down and scooped her up into a fireman's lift.

Buffy gasped at the sudden change, but then accepted it as he began to carry her to the bedroom. "Oh, how romantic Xander, carrying me over the threshold. Wait!" she suddenly ordered, "I need to brush my teeth."

Xander groaned as he opened the bathroom door with his free hand and carried her in. Buffy had assumed he would put her down when he got inside, but he kept her up there.

"Er... Xan?" She asked, "How am I supposed to brush my teeth like this?"

"With this." He told her, putting his hand behind his back to hand her a toothbrush with toothpaste already on it.

"Okay." Buffy said, starting to brush her teeth.

The stood there for quite a while, the only noise being bush on teeth.

"Spit." Buffy commanded. So Xander spat. "Not you, me!" Xander chucked as he turned to let Buffy spit into the basin. They both quickly finished their teeth, and then washed their faces. Then Xander carefully carried Buffy out of the bathroom and into the bedroom, and carefully laid her on the bed.

As he straightened up, he glanced down at Buffy lying on the bed, he gazed all the way along her body from feet to head. *She's so beautiful* he thought. As his gaze reached her face, his eyes locked with hers. They stayed like that for an eternal moment, both gazing deep into the others eyes. Suddenly an owl hooted outside, and the spell was broken.

Not quite sure what had happened, but nethertheless glad that it had, Xander went to his side of the bed, and clambered in. He arranged himself comfortable while Buffy did the same. As they both quickly drifted off to sleep they were sleeping close to each other but not quite touching.

 

end part 2

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Draxar.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.