Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,381
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,515

I'm fine Now Stop Asking!

Summary:

Fandom: CSI:NY
Trio: Mac/Danny/Don
Disclaimer: Still not mine, just borrowing for a bit
Rating: FRT
10 Per Genre: H/C Prompt 1: Pain
Muse: Hedwig-Calliope
Summary: Mac's in a bit of pain
Author's Notes: For Kathie. I requested a prompt and a victim of choice. This is what I came up with, for her suggestion. *hugs my fellow Nuts* Thank you for everything. :)
Submitted through the CSI_New_York_Slash mailing list.

Work Text:

I'm fine, Now Stop Asking!
by Ginny

"Are you okay Mac?" Stella asked in concern.

"Yes. Why?"

"You keep rubbing your side. You're sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine Stella. Just a bit achy, that's all."

"If you're sure," she hesitated.

"I'm sure," he insisted and she let the matter drop.

 

"Hey Mac, you okay?" Sheldon asked.

"Yes."

"You keep putting your hand over your side," he pointed out.

Mac immediately let his hand drop back to his side. "I'm fine," he said and left the room, leaving Shel to wonder what he's said wrong.

 

"Maybe you should go see someone," Danny suggested, dropping next to Mac on the bench.

"About what?"

"Your side is still hurting. How many days has it been now?"

"It's nothing Danny," Mac insisted, stiffling a sigh. He appreciated their concern, really he did, but they were starting to get on his nerves.

"It's not nothing," Danny insisted. "Anything that has you takin' pills more than once, let alone for three days is something."

"Just drop it Danny. Please?"

Danny gritted his teeth. It went against every instinct to let the matter go, but he nodded slowly. "Fine. But I'm watching you."

"I'd expect nothing else," Mac smiled. He gave Danny's hand a quick squeeze and stood. As always, work called.

 

"The neighbors didn't hear - Mac?"

"What?" Mac asked through gritted teeth.

"I think you need to go see a doctor."

"No, I don't."

"You're pressing a hand to your side and you're obviously in pain. Go see someone," Don insisted, glaring at his stubborn lover.

"I'll be fine once the ibuprofen kicks in."

"Mac!"

"We have a case to investigate. Drop it," Mac said harshly. He picked up his kit and stalked toward his crime scene.

Don glared at his back and shook his head. "Nice hissy fit," he muttered under his breath. "I think you've been spending too much time with Danny."

 

Mac collapsed onto the bed. He couldn't deny it any longer, he felt like shit. He hurt, he was freezing and he was nauseous. As much as he hated to admit it, it was time to see a doctor. He struggled to find the energy to sit up, but couldn't. Maybe he'd just sleep for a little bit until Don and Danny get home and then go. That would work. With a sigh, Mac pulled the blanket around him tighter and fell into a restless sleep.

 

Mac groaned when his phone rang. "What?" he demanded.

"Sorry Mac," Lindsay apologized. "But I have a double homicide and you're secondary call tonight."

"It's fine, where are you at?" he sighed. After repeating the address he hung up and slowly stood up. He pushed back the slight wave of nausea and staggered toward the dresser. He felt like he'd been hit in the side with a truck, but he was actually feeling better than he had been. He scrawled a note to his lovers before heading to the crime scene. He might feel like death warmed over, but, as always, there were things that he simply had to do. There was no way around it.

 

"You're home," Don greeted with a smile when Mac finally stumbled in later the next morning. His smile disappeared immediately and he frowned.

"You look like hell Mac," Danny said bluntly.

"I feel better than that," Mac assured them with a weak grin. "I'm just going to go sleep for a bit."

"Doctor, Mac," Don said. "You really should see one."

"If I'm not feeling better tomorrow, I will," Mac agreed. He spotted the suitcase in the hall and remembered the trip. He turned back to Don. "Have a good trip."

"I could stay," he offered.

"Don't be silly. You were personally invited to that conference by three different people. Have fun."

"I wish you two could go."

"The ocean, the sun, it'll be great," Danny agreed.

"You live just off of an ocean," Mac said drily.

"It's not the same," Danny insisted with a grin.

"You're nuts. Have a safe trip. Call us when you get in," Mac ordered Don. He kissed him lightly before heading toward the bedroom. "I'm sleeping for a while," he said and fell face first onto the bed. He pulled the blankets around him tight and let the pain lull him to sleep.

The next thing Mac knew, Danny was back home and sitting next to him on the bed.

"Danny?" he said hoarsely, moving stiffly to sit up. "I think I need to go to the hospital."

"You just had to wait until Don was on a plane, didn't you? You realize that he's going to kill you, right?" Danny said drily as he helped Mac to the door. Five minutes later they were sitting in a cab on their way to the ER.

Mac leaned against the window in the cab, letting the cool glass center him. He bit back the nausea and instead focused on Danny's hand that was rubbing circles on his back. He lost track of time until they had pulled to a stop and Danny leaned forward to pay the driver.

He bit back a whimper of pain as they walked inside, pressing his hand tight against his side. He let Danny take the lead so he wouldn't throw up on anyone.

"It's going to be about half an hour before anyone can see him," the receptionist told Danny sympathetically. "Why don't the two of you have a seat and I'll call when it's your turn," she suggested.

Mac took that moment to find the nearest garbage can and throw up, losing his battle to keep control over his body.

"Or we'll see you right now," she finished with a strained smile. She led them to a small curtained room, helped Mac onto the bed and promised that someone would be with them soon.

"Sorry," Mac said sorrowfully to Danny.

"For not listening to anyone? You should be," Danny smiled. He ran his fingers through Mac's short hair, pressing lightly until Mac relaxed.

It took an hour, but the diagnosis was finally made. To the doctor's surprise, it wasn't appendicitis, but a kidney infection, made worse by being ignored for too long.

"I'm going to start you on IV antibiotics right now," the doctor said. "Along with a pain killer. After that , take the full dose I'm prescribing and you'll be fine after being off work for a few days and relaxing."

"Thanks," Mac told him sincerely. He was already feeling better. He ignored Danny's snort of laughter at the suggestion that he take time off.

"Sleep," Danny ordered him quietly. Mac gave a small nod. Now that he wasn't hurting, he was exhausted. He was only vaguely away of Danny leaving the room before he fell asleep, enjoying the first truly restful sleep he'd had in days.

When he woke again, there were two pairs of arms wrapped around him. He blinked at Don, trying to figure out what was wrong with the picture.

"What are you doing here?" he asked in confusion.

"I missed my connection in Denver and decided to come home," Don shrugged.

"You missed your connection?" Mac asked in disbelief.

"Missed, purposely didn't get on, same thing," Danny said drily. He squeezed Mac gently. "How are you feeling?"

"Much better," he admitted. He would probably never say it out loud, but he should have listened to the concern of everyone around him earlier. Now that he had stopped and gotten help, he was feeling better. It didn't hurt to have both Don and Danny next to him.

"Good. Now say it."

"Say what?"

"Danny and Don were right. As usual," Danny smirked.

Mac shook his head and laughed lightly. "Don't press your luck," he warned him. He kissed them both and burrowed back into his pillow. He felt the warmth of his lovers next to him and smiled. Nothing beat this.

End.