Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2006-11-21
Words:
35,701
Chapters:
18/18
Kudos:
15
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
4,810

Lullaby

Summary:

Technically the sequel to 'We Two', all in the same universe. Jim and Nick are now an established couple and prepare for their future together. Sometimes though, Fate never likes to make it easy...

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text

Lullaby

Chapter 1

Nick POV

"Okay, I'm gonna have the fries, a double cheeseburger, hmm maybe some...no, uh...Okay scratch that! I'll have large fries, a Big Whooper, some nuggets..."

Nick rolled his eyes and sunk his chin into his palm as he leaned against the counter watching almost lazily as Greg faltered yet again and glanced at the teenager behind the till who looked like she was a woman on the edge.

The image of her suddenly screaming and massacring everyone in the restaurant whilst still balancing her 'McDonalds' cap on her head made Nick smirk and snort slightly in amusement. He sighed though when Greg 'ummed' again and stepped in.

"God dammit Greggo we haven't got all year! He'll have Large fries, a medium cola and two double cheeseburgers, just like he always does in the end."

The girl visibly sagged with relief as Greg glared at him.

"I was trying to broaden my platter. Just because you're an uncouth heathen who 'sticks to what he knows' doesn't mean we all are."

Nick rolled his eyes again.

"Greg, we have this argument everytime and lets face it, you're hardly going to 'broaden your platter' with a McDonalds menu as your choice...no offence," he added glancing at the girl but she merely shrugged.

"Hey, I gave up my dignity the minute I put this cap on, I think I can handle a bash at the company."

Nick smirked and winked at her as she flounced off to get their order but she was smiling, clearly her day brightened a little by the charming man at the counter.

"I'm telling Jim you did that," Greg said petulantly and Nick smirked at him.

"What's that G?"

"That you flirted with someone else, a female someone else," he said smugly and Nick chuckled a little.

"And I'll tell him that you did that thing you do everytime that has provoked many a fast food worker to commit suicide, and he'll know what I mean because you did it when he treated you that one time. He'll understand why I felt it necessary to pull that girl back from the edge with a little compliment."

Greg scowled as their order arrived, grabbed the tray and started leading Nick to an empty table. A smirk though did finally break through when he recalled Jim's little treat.

"I swear, I thought he was either going to shoot me or forgo the gun altogether and just strangle me," Greg said popping a frie into his mouth and Nick smiled wistfully as he stared off over Greg's shoulder slightly.

"He was pretty worked up after that...Man that was a good night. A pissed off Jim is a passionate Jim."

Greg gagged on his food and coughed, simultaneously laughing as Nick joined in patting his friend's back.

"Nice to know I got you a good lay," he said wiping his mouth on a napkin and Nick winked at him.

"Anytime you want to wind him up is fine by me as long as its near the end of the shift, that way I get a really wound up Jim. That kind of Jim likes walls and tables, not beds."

"EWWWW!" Greg said loudly provoking a table where a family sat to look over at them sharply. Nick was laughing hard at this point while Greg rubbed the balls of his hands into his eyes.

"The images, the images! They burn mine eyes!"

He didn't even let up when Nick started alternatively throwing his fries at him and then nicking one for himself, popping it into his mouth. When Greg lowered his hands though he simply smiled overly innocently as Greg pointed at his fries confused.

"Pixies stole them," Nick said with a straight face causing Greg to frown at him.

"A fairy more like it."

Nick started laughing again as Greg kicked him under the table.

"How are things with you two anyway?" Greg said a little more seriously after they had calmed down and Nick took a sip of his drink thoughtfully as he smiled around the straw.

"Perfect, well as perfect as can be between a couple. Of course we still have little arguments over the Grissom thing but I think he's coming around. They're best friends and I really think Gil is starting to move on anyway," he glanced at Greg who was watching him.

"I mean, he really is trying to make up for what he said."

"About The Gordons and Mullins all being dead you mean?"

"Mmmhmm."

"Yeah, not his best move I'd say. Still, it's kind of nice."

Nick frowned as he swirled the straw in the cola.

"What is?"

"Having proof that Grissom is just human," Greg said in a vague voice and Nick pondered this for a moment.

He supposed it was kind of...well 'nice' wouldn't be the word he'd use...'relieving' maybe? It was a bit of a relief to know that their boss was still just one of them, that he made mistakes too (and hadn't Nick made a ton of those?) and learnt from them still. Still, the situation could've been better.

"I think you may have a point there Greggo my man."

............................................................................

Nick continued to chew the pen balanced between his teeth thoughtfully as he rolled it side to side. Staring down at the file on his coffee table he narrowed his eyes at the various photos strewn before him, studying them for anything more probative to the case he was working ('Elderly couple found murdered when their grandson came to visit').

Sighing irritably he tugged the pen from between his lips and tossed it onto the table, leaned back into his sofa and rolled the balls of his fore and middle fingers against his temples soothingly. Trying to think with a pounding headache and when you're tired was impossible.

'Bet Grissom would've had this closed, filed and away by now,' he thought bitterly and chuckled at his own contempt.

'Ah who am I kidding, that man never files anything away...unless he deems it really important.'

Closing his eyes Nick continued to massage his head slowly.

"Now that's a man who needs to go to bed."

Nick smirked and, keeping his eyes closed he hummed contently at the sound of the familiar voice.

"Hello, oh darlin' of mine," he teased before opening his eyes to find Jim standing before him, smile in place and shaking his head fondly.

"Well, are you going to heed my words?" Jim asked, stepping forwards and took over the massages whilst at the same time swinging round so he was sat on the sofa next to Nick. Nick manoeuvred himself and Jim so that he was resting back against Jim's chest in between his legs.

"Probably not," Nick said matter-of-factly and Jim grumbled good-naturedly.

"You young pups never listen to us elders anymore do you?" he groused and Nick chuckled again as he dropped his head back to press a kiss on the underside of Jim's jaw.

"I listen, just selectively," he teased and Jim gently swatted his thigh.

"Hard case?" Jim said finally moving the banter into something a little more serious and Nick hummed again in confirmation.

"I don't think I'll ever understand what goes in kids heads these days...and my God did I really just say that?"

Jim laughed as he kissed Nick's temple, moving round to repeat the gesture on the other one and continued running his fingers through Nick's hair. Nick loved it when he did that.

"Well you're not far off from 40 after all," he said lightly and snickered when Nick growled.

"I thought we agreed not to talk about that evil number, I have a few years yet, let me be a thirties man for a little while longer."

"Hey, I'm in my fifties, how do you think I feel?"

"James, you have a toy boy...I think you're pretty okay."

"Oh yeah," Jim said quietly pretending as though he'd only just remembered, smiling as Nick turned his head slightly to look at him.

"Are you still a toy boy if you're 40?"

"I'm 35! 35 I tell you!"

"Weren't you 35 two years ago?"

"...Okay so I'm 36, but I still have four years yet!"

"Ah, they'll pass quick enough."

Nick turned to glare at his lover (to which Jim merely grinned wickedly) and grumbled slightly even as he begrudgingly kissed the curved lips.

"Remind me why I'm with you," he said in a low voice but knew that Jim could see the underlining humour in his words.

"Two reasons: You love me and I'm good in bed."

Nick pretended to ponder for a moment, hummed and aahed about it before breaking into a wide grin. He leant forwards capturing the tempting lips again and moved round so he was now instead straddling Jim's legs instead, lips locked together and his hands loosely cupping Jim's jaw as they kissed lazily.

For good measure he even added in a couple of hip thrusts against his lover's groin prompting a groan from the man.

"Wicked seducer," Jim said against his lips and Nick smirked, eyes drooping heavily as he leaned in for more kisses. He continued with his lazy rocking motions as he slipped his arms to drape over Jim's shoulders.

"Yeah, but I'm all yours Captain Brass."

Jim smiled and opened his mouth to answer but was rudely cut off by a shrill cell phone ringtone. They both groaned and Nick reached over to grab the phone, flipping it open and barking out his name irritably.

He listened for a moment, making noises of confirmation every now and again before shutting the phone with a groan.

"No rest for the wicked," he said standing and stretching out his legs.

"Or the CSI's it would seem," Jim said and smiling one last time Nick leaned down to kiss him passionately before leaning back again.

"This isn't over yet lover," he said in a husky voice and revelled in way that Jim's eyes darkened.

"I'll hold you to that."

(TBC)