Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,655
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,317

The heart of a nation the soul of a man

Summary:

We are on a diplomatic mission. A Star Trek:TNG/Final Fantasy VIII xover.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

The Heart of A Nation, The Soul of a Man

by Laguna

laguna@oldcrows.net

rated PG13

Star Trek: The Next Generation/Final Fantasy VIII

Disclaimer: Squaresoft owns them, not me.

Synopsis: Captain Picard pays a diplomatic visit to the new President of Esthar following the confinement
of Adel

 

The Heart of a Nation, The Soul of a Man

By Laguna

 

-Chapter 1-

"Captains log: Stardate 41739.2. We are on a diplomatic mission to Esthar, the largest city on a planet not entirely disimilar to Earth. The tyrant Sorceress Adel has recently been overthrown, and our mission is to set up diplomatic relations with the new government which has been
established there."

Picard switched the log off as the doorpad sounded. "Come."

Dr. Crusher walked in looking exhausted. "I was up all night with a very feisty patient," she explained, a smile upon her face.

"Oh, and how is the new litter?"

"Mother and babies are all doing just fine," Dr. Crusher flopped onto the sofa. "So, what's the President of Esthar like?"

"Well, I haven't met him personally. Though the team Starflleet sent to observe the indigenous people reports that he is a little immature and somewhat absent-minded. They describe him as
more like the host of a garden party than the President of an influential country."

"Then, how did he become President?"

"How familiar are you with Esthar?" Picard asked.

"I know that up until recently it was ruled by the Sorceress Adel. Was she a Q, or someone more like Ardra?"

"From what we've learned so far, the Sorceresses' magic is not unlike that of the Q. Fortunately, most Sorceresses pretty much keep to this particular planet. Some are quite nasty, like Adel."

"So everyone fears her because she has the ability to use magic?"

"Actually, magic and science walk hand-in-hand in Esthar." Picard explained. "An alchemist would probably feel right at home there. A sorceress just has a few more abilities."

"So, how was Adel dispatched?"

"Not dispatched. Captured. President Loire and Dr. Odine devised a way to confine a sorceress after Laguna agreed to help lead a band of rebels against Adel. After her capture, they needed a new ruler for the country. And since they liked him, they made him their President. I hear he was quite surprised."

Dr. Crusher laughed, pleasantly. "I can't wait to meet him."

*****

"Absolutely not," Laguna shook his head. "I'll play President for you, but I'm not wearing that clown suit." Laguna pushed aside the outfit being offered to him for the dinner that evening and looked through the few outfits he'd brought with him. "Here. This will do fine." he selected a pair of brown corduroys, a t-shirt, and a long pale blue button-down shirt which he didn't bother to button. He studied himself in the mirror, and shook his head in disapproval. "Doesn't look right, does it?"

Kiros felt relieved. He had been afraid Laguna might seriously want to wear that outfit, which looked like something a painter might wear rather than something one might see on the man who was arguably the most powerful in the world, to the banquet. Now, it seemed as though the man
had come to his senses.

Laguna freed his hair from his ponytail and let it fall about his shoulders. "Much better."

Kiros sighed, patiently, and followed his best friend and leader to the Esthar Spaceport.

*****

Shuri had been in Esthar since she'd been a little girl. She barely remembered the Shumi Village where she'd been born, raised and eventually evolved. Only nightmarish glimps of her abduction and early years as a slave came into her mind when she tried to think of it.

She had been working in the Galbadian Desert Prison when she'd met Laguna Loire for the first time. He'd caught her when she'd almost plummeted to her death (or so Laguna had thought) and had freed her shortly afterward. She'd started to head back to the Shumi Village, but found she could no bring herself to leave the man who had saved her life. That she loved him, she did not doubt. He would never know. Could never find out. She knew that would be disastrous.

"Laguna!"

Laguna waved to Shuri as the Moomba fell into step with him. "Hey, you've been doing a great job here. Why don't you join us for dinner?" When she looked up at himn, for just a moment, he was sure he saw warmth in her eyes. ~It's probably gratitude," he allowed as they walked into the main port to await the arrival of their guests.

 

-Chapter 2-

"Enterprise Shuttle, you are clear to land. President Loire is awaiting your arrival at Gate 2."

"This is Enterprise Shuttle, Acknowledged. And thank you."

The pilot landed the shuttle and opened the door for his passengers.

"Thank you, pilot," Picard gave a nod as he started to leave.

The pilot smiled. "I try to do my best, sir," he replied, cheerfully. "

Picard departed the shuttlecraft with Dr. Crusher, Counselor Troi, and Commander Data. They crossed the terminal and were met by three men. Standing beside the smallest of the three, almost possessively, was a bipedal animal. The animal was female. The fur on her back and limbs was a muted shade of tawny orange, while the fur on her face and chest was white. Her paws and feet were large, almost oversized, her ears were long at the top and slender, and she was possessed of a tale which mimicked that of the noble lion.

"Welcome to Esthar," the man in the decidedly unprofessional garments smiled, stepping forward and offering a hand. "I'm President Laguna Loire. These are my best friends, Ward Zabac and Kiros Seagill."

"My crew and I thank you for your hospitality," Picard replied. "I'm Captain Jean-Luc Picard. This Dr. Beverly Crusher,"

Laguna went to shake her hand, but the Moomba batted at Dr. Crusher's hand "Pleased ta meetcha!" he cheered, deciding upon a wave and grin instead,

"Counselor?" Picard asked, hoping the animal with the President wasn't vicious."

"I'm sensing a feeling of jealousy," Deanna explained.

Laguna blinked. "Shuri? But we can't... you know we can't! It wouldn't look right. It wouldn't be right!"

The Moomba looked, helplessly, up at the object of her affection, then started to whimper.

Laguna hugged the Moomba who swiped at him, then ran off.

"Excuse me," Laguna said, somewhat apologetically. He turned and ran after the heartbroken Moomba.

"I must apologize for Laguna's somewhat eccentric behavior," Kiros offered.

"Actually, I find any President who'll drop an important meeting to comfort a distraught friend to be a rather likable fellow," Picard assured him.

Kiros felt a sense of relief. Maybe Laguna wouldn't bungle it this time. On the other hand, this was Laguna they were talking about.

 

-Chapter 3-

Laguna caught up with Shuri a few miles away. The Moomba was sitting on a rock, keening softly.

He saw beside her and pulled her into his arms. "Shuri... I didn't realize you were in love with me." he told her. "I'm sorry. Please? Come home?"

The Moomba patted her tummy, then looked up at Laguna and began to nuzzle him. There was no doubt what she wanted from him.

"We can't," Laguna apologized. "It wouldn't be right. Shuri, you'll find someone..." his voice faltered as he realized, "You already have. I think we need to work this out. Look," he stood and helped her to her feet. "we have visitors and we're being rude. Let's go back, okay?"

Shuri nodded.

*****

"My apologies," Laguna offered as he and Shuri walked into the rocket launch site and rejoined Picard and the others.

"No apologies neccessary," Picard replied. "As I was telling your friend, I find the fact that you put your friends first quite admirable." He turned to the alien who had joined them in Laguna's absence. "President Loire, this is Commander Worf."

Laguna nodded.. "He looks like a good fighter."

"Klingons are well-known for their fighting skills," Worf said, making it clear this was a fact and not a mere boast.

"Well, why don't we head on over to the Palace," Laguna quickly changed the subject. "If you'd like to, we can stop over at the mall for supplies."

"The mall is *past* the Palace," Kiros reminded him.

"We wouldn't want to make you go out of your way," Picard assured him.

"It is a little out of the way," Laguna admitted "but the transports are swift and we should arrive without incident."

They were crossing the wasteland between the rocket site and Esthar City when Laguna's legendary ineptitude made itself clear once again.

The car sputtered to a halt and the President of the most powerful and largest city in the world blushed with embarrassment.

Kiros put his face in his hands and shook his head. "You forgot to buy fuel again."

"Sorry," Laguna apologized.

"Hey, it happens," Deanna assured him.

"We can walk from here," Picard assured them. "Don't feel badly about this, Mr. President."

"Laguna," Laguna offered."Okay. Let's get going."

Picard and his crew followed Kiros and Laguna toward the sparkling city that lie not far head. They were within two yards of the outskirts when a bite bug flew at them from a nearby cloud.

Without missing a beat, Laguna leapt forward upon it. The creature let out a pained wail as the President of Esthar sank his teeth into its neck.

"What is he doing?" Dr. Crusher wanted to know.

"He appears to be eating it," Worf observed. "I must say, this is a fighting tactic I had not considered."

When the bite bug was fully devoured, Laguna wiped his mouth and stepped back. "I would've offered you some, but I'm afraid bite bugs are a rather acquired taste. Perhaps if we encounter another?"

Picard and the others followed Laguna the rest of the way to Esthar in silence.

 

END PART 3

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Laguna.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.