Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
693
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
986

Shanshu sunset

Summary:

Fandom: AtS
Genre: general
Warning/Rating: G
Summary: RogueSpike wanted fluffy, I think this counts. Post NFA a moment between two champions.
Submitted through the Spike_Slash mailing list.

Work Text:

Shanshu sunset
by Lilithangel
Lilithangel's LJ

"Spike what are you doing?"

"That bloody harpy masquerading as a nurse took my smokes again." The voice came from inside Angel's wardrobe, "I didn't trust her so I hide some where she would never look... aha!" Spike emerged triumphant holding a packet of cigarettes.

"You should have given them up a long time ago," Angel said.

"Like you have your whiskey?" Spike raised an eyebrow as he lit up with a sigh of pleasure.

"That is for medicinal purposes," Angel said with a frown.

"Yeah right." Spike inhaled deeply and collapsed into a coughing fit. After slapping his thigh a couple of times he righted himself and ground out the cigarette. "It's only the first puff that matters anyway."

Angel looked at the clock and levered himself out of bed painfully, "it's nearly time."

"Take it easy old man," Spike handed him his cane. "We haven't missed one in all these years."

"And I'm not going to start now, and who are you calling old?" they continued their familiar bickering down the corridor to the front porch.

Several nurses saw them and smiled. The two had become fast favourites with most of the staff since they arrived a few even expressing regret that they seemed so dedicated to each other even at their age.

Both still very upright although the brunet had to use a cane after his second knee replacement and the blond had limited use of one arm after a stroke earlier that year. They were still very handsome men blessed with most of their hair and all of their teeth even now. The lady residents had been very excited by their arrival and both had milked the attention with pleasure despite their obvious deep affection honed over years of companionship.

One of the orderlies held the front door open for the two men. Regular as clockwork they would be there heading for the big porch swing. "Must be that time again," the orderly grinned.

Angel smiled graciously at the young man as he passed letting Spike grab a quick goose on the tight butt. "Mr Bloody," the orderly scolded with a grin, despite his age William Bloody remained a rogue.

The two old men settled down in the swing just as the sun dipped down and the sky was splashed with pink and orange. Rocking gently they entwined their fingers as they had done every evening since the sun had risen on two newly made humans in the carnage of a closely won battle.

"I will never get tired of this," Angel said as Spike settled his head against the larger man's shoulder.

"Neither will I," Spike agreed with a sigh letting the last warmth of the sun soak into his bones.

As rewards went they hadn't ever expected this, but when the dust settled and heartbeats were compared in wonder they had found that neither wanted to be anywhere else than with each other.

It hadn't happened in the alleyway behind the Hyperion. It hadn't happened until they had watched the last of those they cared about pass on. Until after they had turned to each other in grief and fear and found that, in the end, it did matter who stayed.

So they stayed to fight on until someone above decided it was enough and granted them a pounding so loud both cried out in fear and wonder. Nothing else really changed, Angel still brooded and Spike still snarked. They continued to wander and fight the good fight until bones started creaking and joints started complaining louder than Spike did.

So they found a place where it barely ever rained and the sunsets blazed in glory almost every night, and they stayed there together.

END