Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,165
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
1,177

Darn Compassion

Summary:

Chick and Larry preslash.

Work Text:

Wilbur Grey stopped short just before he opened the door. He nodded back to Larry Talbot, sitting on the overturned couch with his head in his hands. "We can't leave him like that, Chick," he whispered.

Chick Young frowned. "He's not our business," he muttered back.

Wilbur's eyes got wide and he looked at Chick mournfully. His bottom lip wobbled. "He's a nice man."

Chick growled quietly and gestured to the destroyed hotel room. "Who thinks he turns into a wolf during the full moon."

Wilbur stuck his chin out. "We don't know that he doesn't."

Chick bit his tongue to keep from shouting. He glanced at the wreck named Larry Talbot and then back at Wilbur. "Wilbur, we..." he tried but Wilbur's puppy dog look stopped him. He wondered if Wilbur knew just how much that look effected him. To cover it up, he took on a gruff manner and waved an arm. "This from the man who sees the walking dead...Fine."

Wilbur smiled and patted shoulder. "Good. You take care of him and I'll see ya at the costume rental store later."

Chick grabbed Wilbur's arm. "Wait just a minute."

Wilbur squeezed out of Chick's grasp. "I can't keep Joan waiting," he offered with a smirk and ran out.

Chick put his hands on his hips. "Fast for a fat little man." He rolled his eyes. "Two girls. There's definitely something wrong in the universe." He toyed with the idea of going after Wilbur to give that tub of lard a piece of his mind for leaving him with a nut but Larry chose that moment to try and stand.

Larry was dizzy and fell back down. He heaved a heavy sigh and scrubbed his face with his hands. "I hate it. I hate it."

Chick wouldn't have liked to admit it but compassion for the man with the screw loose won out over yelling at his annoying pal. He hung his hat up and crouched down at Larry's side. "You gonna be all right?" he asked softly.

Larry didn't realize that someone was still in the room with him. He started and his eyes were bloodshot. He began to shake. "Sometimes, I just don't know."

Before he could consciously think about it, Chick sat next to Larry and put an arm around his shoulders. "You may do better not believing in Dracula and Frankenstein's Monster," he offered without being judgmental (which was surprising even to him.)

Larry's dark hair hung in his eyes and he leaned into Chick's warmth. "You have to believe me. They're real and they have to be stopped. Dracula's trying to revive the Frankenstein Monster. They'll be unstoppable."

"Just like I should believe that you turn into a werewolf at the full moon?" Chick asked skeptically. It was an odd feeling when Larry snuggled against him but he didn't move.

"I do. I do," Larry protested. "And I can't control myself at all. The calling of the blood takes over. If I'm not locked away...." he stopped and shook his head in self disgust. "You..." he licked his lips. "...you have no idea. It's a never ending nightmare."

"Well, I guess that it's good we locked you in last night," Chick said lightly.

Larry shuddered. His voice was weary and resigned. "You don't believe me."

"No. Actually I think you may have a few screws loose," Chick answered blandly. He gave Larry a squeeze. "But I won't hold that against you. Come on. I'll help you get cleaned up."

Larry grabbed a hold of Chick before the latter could move. "No," he yelled. He buried his face in Chick's shoulder to hide his embarassement. He didn't often get human contact. "I just need to sit quietly for a minute."

Chick tensed and swallowed. He shouldn't be there, comforting a complete nut job. He should be keeping Wilbur in line with those two women (who were awfully infatuated with Wilbur. That just didn't make sense.) Yet, here he was with that darned compassion. "All right."

Larry may not have been in wolf form but he still had a heightened sense of smell. He inhaled the scents of sandalwood, soap, and sweat. He groaned quietly and moved his face up the side of Chick's neck. He felt Chick's pulse and had to bite his tongue to keep from licking the skin.

Chick's breath caught in his throat. Larry's stuble against his skin was an almost...erotic...sensation. It felt surprisingly good. He pulled back sharply and demanded, "What are you doing?"

Larry nervously ran a hand through his hair. "Nothing," he stuttered. "Sorry."

Larry looked so pitiful and Chick's compassion reared its ugly head again. Chick looked away. He was going to get Wilbur for this.

Larry pushed himself up. "I....I..." He stopped because he just couldn't find the words.

Chick saw Larry sway and stood up. He guided Larry by the elbow to the bathroom. "Why don't you get washed up and comb your hair."

Larry nodded and leaned against the sink. "Okay."

"Will you be all right in here by yourself?"

Larry turned the water on and looked at Chick's reflection in the mirror. He tried for a smile but couldn't quite manage it. "Yeah. I'm always weak the morning after a transformation." He cupped his hand under the warm water and splashed it into his face. He watched drops splash back into the sink, silently and intently concentrating on Chick's calming presence.

Chick rubbed the back of his neck, unsure what to do next. He turned back to survery the mess. "Oh, my."

Larry's hand shook when he reached for the soap. "I know."

Chick wiped his sweaty palms on his trousers and faced the bathroom. Larry's posture was rigid and yet tired at the same time. He saw a man who needed a long rest but what could he do about it? He had enough trouble with Wilbur seeing Dracula. He didn't need any more problems with a self-proclaimed werewolf. "Well, um...if there's nothing else you need from me, I'll catch up with Wilbur at the costume shop."

Larry finished washing his face and started combing his hair before he answered, "No. I'm sorry that I couldn't convince you to help me." He looked over his shoulder and held Chick's gaze. "Thank you for your kindness."

Chick smiled. "You're welcome." He took one step and added, "Take care and do yourself a favor, forget about the monsters."

Larry didn't respond to that. He listened to the door close behind Chick. He stared at his haggard reflection. There was still so much for him to do. "He'll see. He'll see the truth."