Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
894
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
1,173

October Beast

Summary:

Fandom: Law & Order
Pairing: Briscoe/McCoy
Series: Lennie's playing pool with John and explains why he doesn't want to go home after the Cardinals beat the Mets to go to the World Series.
Email: Disclaimer: These guys don't belong to me. I'm not making any money off them.
any feedback is appreciated
Submitted through the AllTheLawAndOrderGenerations mailing list.

Work Text:

October Beast
by Python

Lennie Briscoe beat John Munch at the pool table, again. He sat on a stool near the table, standing the cue in front of him. He took a sip of his club soda and smirked. "You want to make it six games tonight?"

John rolled his eyes. "I don't know if my ego can take any more punishment."

Lennie chuckled. "You've been taking it for years. Your ego's used to it."

John regarded Lennie over the rims of his glasses. "Thanks a lot, pal."

"I'll let you break."

"And that will improve my chances exactly one percent," John answered sourly but started racking the balls anyway. He didn't look at Lennie and remarked in an offhand way, "It's getting kinda late. Is there some reason why you don't want to go home?"

Lennie should've known that he couldn't get anything past another detective. "Yeah." He gave a small nod in the direction of the bar and the row of dejected Mets fans.

John barely spared a glance in their direction. He lined up the cue ball to break. "I'm a Yankees fan myself. I'd be lying if I said a small part of me isn't enjoying their pain."

"True," Lennie agreed.

"All crying in their beer," John muttered with relish.

Lennie snorted. "I have to admit it was a good series. The Mets and Cardinals really battled it out. Who would've thought the Cardinals pudgy catcher with a .216 regular season batting average would hit the game winning home run?"

John took his shot and was satisfied to see the striped ten ball fall into the corner pocket. He straightened up to examine the layout. "Postseason baseball is about clicking at the right time. Whoever gets hot, wins. Just because you have the most wins during the season doesn't mean squat. The Yankees have taught us that lesson time and time again."

Lennie stood and began chalking the end of his cue because he just knew that John was going to miss this next shot. "On the bright side, it's always interesting to hear Steinbrenner's tirades."

As Lennie predicted, John missed. He cursed under his breath and took a swig of his beer. "Interesting is one word for it. But what does all of this have to do with you not wanting to go home?"

Lennie swiftly sunk two balls before asking, "Weren't you listening?"

John looked at him blankly. "What do you mean?"

Lennie sighed. "Who beat the Mets and are going to the World Series?"

"The Cardinals," John answered, still not making the connection.

Lennie sank another and walked around to John. He smacked him on the side of his head. "Jack's a die hard Cubs fan. His two favorite teams are the Cubsand anyone playing the Cardinals."

John tried not to laugh. "Oh, I see."

Lennie ran a hand through his hair and turned his attention back to the pool table. "No, you don't. He's going to be hell to live with for the next week. Did you see those Tommy Lasorda commercials?"

This time John did laugh. "I love those. Cleveland fans hiding in the cabinets." He pointed with his pool cue to the ceiling. "I live for this. You live for this. We all live for this. To the TV," he quoted.

Lennie sank yet another shot. "There's that one with the fan that's been hiding in the tree since his team was eliminated in the playoffs. Tommy asks, what's his team. The woman answers the Cubs. Tommy winces and gets the guy to come down because all baseball fans should watch even if their team's not in it. I thought it was funny but Jack didn't."

John finished the rest of his beer. "If it was a Cubs fan, he must've been in that tree since the All Star break."

Lennie didn't even have to think. He had all of his shots planned out and easily kept the thread of the conversation. "That's what I thought the first time I saw it, but Jack was with me and I wanted to keep my skin."

John recognized Lennie in a groove and perched on a nearby stool. "So Jack watched, hoping the Mets would mop the floor with the Cardinals."

"I'm afraid so." Lennie leaned against the table for a moment. He hung his head and shook it. "He's gonna be in such a foul mood."

John patted Lennie's shoulder. "If you let me win, you can sleep on my couch until the World Series is over," he said, completely dead pan.

Lennie considered it for a moment before successfully making his next shot. He grinned at John. "No, thanks. I'll take my chances with my October beast."